Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2022 11:01:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Salvadorsshadow]
I need a scope for my RPR in .22.  I plan on trying to get this out to at 300 yards.  Depending on how that goes I plan to just try and push it as far as I can.  I'm looking for a scope with maximum magnification of between 16 and 20x.  Will a Vortex Diamondback be good enough glass for that?  The skies around here can be pretty overcast at times and sometimes I need to shoot near the end of usable daylight.  I was also thinking about a PA GLx 4-16x scope.  Any other suggestions in the 400-600 price range?

ETA:  I want a parallax adjustment down to about 10 yards, MRAD, and FFP.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm using a Bushnell Engage 4-16 on my CZ527 and get to 300 no prob.
I chose the Bushnell because of weight, side focus, mag range, cost, etc.

This is what I did w/ ~50yo ammo, on my first range trip.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By User55645:
I'm using a Bushnell Engage 4-16 on my CZ527 and get to 300 no prob.
I chose the Bushnell because of weight, side focus, mag range, cost, etc.

This is what I did w/ ~50yo ammo, on my first range trip.

https://i.ibb.co/6bWXLsx/20211227-152109-1.jpg
View Quote

Nice shooting.  How much did that scope set you back?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:02:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: User55645] [#3]
Originally Posted By Salvadorsshadow:

Nice shooting.  How much did that scope set you back?
View Quote

Not much. I think it was <$300, with rings, w/ an optics planet coupon.
I can't justify spending ungodly amounts on a 22 so this was perfect. Same goes w/ weight. 20oz was the max I was willing to compromise.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:14:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usncorpsman1] [#5]
Try the SWFA fixed 12X. It has a 30mm tube, is built like a tank and will focus down to 10m. You can reach 300 yds easily with it.  I have a 10x on a KIDD .22 and it is a tack driver. It will run you $300.

50yds 10rds

50yds 20rds
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#6]
I just went through this whole market survey, opinions and selection process.  It was a LOT of work.

Link to thread

I ended up with an ATHLON Midas TAC.  I am happy with that choice (no buyer's remorse), given the price range.

It would be interesting to sell all my scopes, purchase a NightForce ATACR 4-20X50mm F1 ($3000 MSRP) and use it on all my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Take a look at the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25. It has 32 mils of elevation to reach out far and the extra power will help when doing that to spot hits. I used one on my rimfire to hit to past 500 yards on a 40 MOA base. It's a better scope than the Diamondback Tactical and costs a little more but worth it. Parallax down to 15 yards but you can shoot 10 by dialing down power a little.

Another option is the Vortex Venom 5-25x56 which is also parallax to 15 yards but less elevation at 25 mils and doesn't have an illuminated reticle or locking turrets like the Strike Eagle. Both have the 7C reticle which is great for holds.

300 yards is about 13.5 mils and 400 is 21-22 mils to give an idea of what you might need for elevation.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/InkedIMG_0596_LI-1397536.jpg

5 Tenex at 50 using the scope.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/IMG_1459-1859621.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for all the good info.  Are the Strike Eagles made in the Philippines or China?  For some reason I thought the strike eagle was the budget brand for Vortex.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Salvadorsshadow] [#8]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
I just went through this whole market survey, opinions and selection process.  It was a LOT of work.

Link to thread

I ended up with an ATHLON Midas TAC.  I am happy with that choice (no buyer's remorse), given the price range.

It would be interesting to sell all my scopes, purchase a NightForce ATACR 4-20X50mm F1 ($3000) and use it on all my rifles.
View Quote

How much did that Athlon run you?  I'll be reading through that thread, but what are the cliff's notes on why you went that route.

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
What do people think about the mid tier Vortex optics?  In looking up the strike eagle it looks like it is very very hit or miss on quality control.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#10]

It would be interesting to sell all my scopes, purchase a NightForce ATACR 4-20X50mm F1 ($3000) and use it on all my rifles.
View Quote

At 3k, you could buy the 7-35 ATACR…. If you spend 3k on a 4-20, you didn’t shop around.

And for under 3k, the Razor GenIII would be a better buy imo. I have the 7-35 ATACR and just received in my second Geniii last week. Zero regrets on that decision.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]

SE are Chinese made like most of the optics in their price range. SE is a budget brand as it is in their lower tier but they did away with the older models and came out with this new 5-25 and it's much nicer than the older models. Better glass, reticles, knobs and much more elevation and FFP. It's really a great rimfire optic that gets overlooked a lot.
View Quote

How does this scope compare to the Viper PST or HST line?  At $800 these are pretty close in price.  What's another $100-200 for a better scope in this price range.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#16]
What Rob said.

If you wish to save just a little bit, the Vortex Venom is close to the SE, but doesn’t have the illumination or as much internal travel.

Me personally, I wouldn’t go below the Venom line if I could afford it. I think the Venom is a bit more sensitive for the eye box compared to the SE, but they are very close otherwise. As far as clarity/resolution, either is capable of making out 1/4” dots at 100yds.

If you’re not planning on competitions and don’t need the ebr-7c reticle or extremely close parallax, I’d consider looking at the PST II sales that EuroOptics is running. They are in the SE price range.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
At 3k, you could buy the 7-35 ATACR…. If you spend 3k on a 4-20, you didn’t shop around.
View Quote

$3k is MSRP
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Don’t bother. That thread was a black hole of changing minds and saying $3k and buying less. Don’t fall into it. Lol
View Quote

LOL!  

There is a TON of quantitative information on many scopes from many different brands in that thread.  It took about a month to compile but only a day to decide based upon the information collected.  

In short, the Athlon Midas Tac scored as well or better than any other scope except the 7-35 which got one more point (11 vs 10).  

In "bang for the buck" (performance/price), the Nightforce wasn't even close.  The Athlon was 6X better than the NightForce.

I'm sorry for you that you don't like the thread.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:04:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#19]
Originally Posted By Salvadorsshadow:
How much did that Athlon run you?  I'll be reading through that thread, but what are the cliff's notes on why you went that route.
View Quote

I set my selection criteria.

Collected info on a BUNCH of scopes.

Scored all the scopes relative to the performance criteria.  A key criteria was the ability to focus at close distances for rimfire use (10 yards is typical).  

Scores were used to rank them (who wins, who loses).

"Bang for the buck" was calculated (performance divided by price).

Re-ranked based on "bang for the buck" values.

Midas TAC got a score of 10 and ranked #2 only to the Nightforce 7-35X56mm.

Midas TAC cost me $502, so in the "bang for the buck" calculation, it overwhelmed that Nightforce ($3.6k MSRP) by about 6X.  

There are many excellent scopes in that thread, all are suitable for rimfire at close distances.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#20]

$3k is MSRP
View Quote

Gotcha. MSRP just isn’t the best way to price out scopes when MAP is always lower. When setting a budget/looking for items in your price range, MAP is closer to what street price will be. In sub 800-1000$ scopes the price might not vary greatly between the two (MSRP/MAP), but it’s 6-700$+ when looking at higher end scopes (2k+).

LOL!  

There is a TON of quantitative information on many scopes from many different brands in that thread.  It took about a month to compile but only a day to decide based upon the information collected.  

In short, the Athlon Midas Tac scored as well or better than any other scope except the 7-35 which got one more point (11 vs 10).  

In "bang for the buck" (performance/price), the Nightforce wasn't even close.  The Athlon was 6X better than the NightForce.

I'm sorry for you that you don't like the thread.
View Quote

There’s some quantitative data, which I’m sure many will find useful. The one item I would caution against was the qualitative data that really can’t be measured. You assigned specific values for the type of glass used. 1 for reg, 3 for HD and 6 for ED iirc. While that’s a decent idea, that’s not how optical quality really works. A scope could have ED glass but have an image that falls below HD glass. While there’s merit to the classification, it’s really more of a marketing ploy at this point. Ppl just jump at “HD” or “ED glass”. You can toss Schott glass into that same category. The glass type is only 1 aspect of the overall equation.

Some ppl prefer a certain pop to an image, a level of contrast, resolution, feel of turrets, ease of focus, depth of field, that they may give more value to. The Midas Tac 6-24 may be 6 times better in bang for the buck compared to the NF 7-35 for you and what you place as a priority, but others may have different things they value a bit more. If someone wasn’t looking for 10yd parallax, they likely would have jumped over the 6-24 Midas Tac and went to the 5-25 Midas Tac, which by reports I’ve seen has better turrets as well as a better image due to the design.

I guess what I’m saying is, the table is great for ppl to review/reference for specifications, but that’s really all you can do with it; compare the specifications. Getting into a points system to determine which is best doesn’t tell the whole story. What may matter the most to some requires more info and likely first hand use or unbiased reviews, especially on optical/glass quality.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:59:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#21]
I guess what I’m saying is, the table is great for ppl to review/reference for specifications, but that’s really all you can do with it; compare the specifications. Getting into a points system to determine which is best doesn’t tell the whole story. What may matter the most to some requires more info and likely first hand use or unbiased reviews, especially on optical/glass quality.
View Quote

The thing is, it is a spreadsheet and you can adjust the selection criteria and weighting factors to suit your personal needs.  I varied them a lot to make sure I was reaching a sound conclusion.  I made sure I understood what was driving some scores up and others down.  

The optical quality comparisons are absolutely unapproachable for the general consumer.  Most reviewers haven't a clue, either.  I remember wanting the scope specs to include characteristics such as resolution (line pairs per millimeter), contrast ratios,...  all that jazz.  It just isn't out there that I can find.

What I most dislike is the haze covering the entire image in a cheap optic.

A lot of that may be less important, too, when the scope is for rimfire.  In my back yard at 10 - 15 yards or at the range at 25, 50, 100, 200, even 300 yards,...

I will say this, I've used the Midas TAC at 600 and 1,000 yards and it was fine, including optical quality.  It was not quite as good as my Leupold but it was good enough for rimfire use.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 5:08:37 AM EDT
[#22]
A lot of people are running Arken scopes at the NRL22 matches we shoot. They seem like a lot of value for the price. The RPR and Arken combo is very popular. The turrets track accurately and they have a reliable zero stop.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I was running a diamond back tactical on my CZ. Got a Vortex Gen II viper PST 5 X 25. Night and day difference at distances over 100 yrds. Glass and turrets are very good. I think that I paid $649 for it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Rob what do you think of the Venom and Strike Eagle overall?  Sounds like you like them and your recommendations are obviously well regarded...

I just got a CZ 457 Varmint Precision Chassis and am trading the factory chassis to a member here for the KRG Bravo stock when it comes in.  I plan on using it in my gun club's rimfire matches so naturally I am looking at optics for it.  I was considering a Viper 6-24 PST Gen 1, Sightron S-TAC 3-16, or a Sig Tango4 4-16.  Would you recommend the Venom or Strike Eagle over any of those?  My only requirement is the scope be FFP.  Normally I like christmas tree reticles since I prefer holdovers to dialing, but in this case I don't really need one for the .22, just FFP is enough.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x is what you seek.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I think the Venom and Strike Eagle are great scopes, and the glass is excellent for the money. As soon as they make a version that doesn’t say “Made in China” on the bottom, I’ll buy a couple. Even if it costs another $100.

I don’t even like my Chinese food if it’s not made in America.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Gotcha. MSRP just isn’t the best way to price out scopes when MAP is always lower. When setting a budget/looking for items in your price range, MAP is closer to what street price will be. In sub 800-1000$ scopes the price might not vary greatly between the two (MSRP/MAP), but it’s 6-700$+ when looking at higher end scopes (2k+).

View Quote

MAP and msrp are the same with NF.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Laufen:

MAP and msrp are the same with NF.
View Quote

I don’t recall NF having MSRP listed on their site, so you may be correct.

But, I’ve never paid the list price for any of my NF optics. They are constantly on a “sale” at several locations, so there is a bit of a difference still.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#31]
If you can live with 20 or 25 yard min parallax, a used Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15 or 5-25 is a great option.

I have the 3-15 on my CZ. Great glass for the money.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:47:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#32]
Guys, we are discussing "long range" .22LR scopes.  This is 300 yards or less.  You don't need 1000 yard glass.

The Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x is plenty good at those distances.

Heck, I only shoot to 250, but my Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 is still quite clear and crisp.  FFP tree reticle works well.  Turret tracking is good at those distances.  Side focus can go down to 10 yards.  Just looking at objects 300+ yards away, it does start losing detail beyond 300, though.

No need to get spendy at .22LR distances.  And, if you are competing, the price helps you put more money into the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:33:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Laufen] [#33]
Originally Posted By MS556:
Guys, we are discussing "long range" .22LR scopes.  This is 300 yards or less.  You don't need 1000 yard glass.

The Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x is plenty good at those distances.

Heck, I only shoot to 250, but my Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 is still quite clear and crisp.  FFP tree reticle works well.  Turret tracking is good at those distances.  Side focus can go down to 10 yards.  Just looking at objects 300+ yards away, it does start losing detail beyond 300, though.

No need to get spendy at .22LR distances.  And, if you are competing, the price helps you put more money into the rifle.
View Quote

Price isn't all about power.  It's also about elevation travel, resolution, repeatability of the turrets, etc.  The 7-35x ATACR is perfectly at home on my rimfire.  There's no way I'd trade it for an inferior Vortex.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I just picked up a Vortex Viper PST Gen 25X25 for 700 nice glass and turrets for the price
Vortex is offering 50% for vets for the holiday
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Glass quality  LR .22 would be second to accurate repeatable tracking
Your going to be dialing up and down just as much if not more than a long range center fire.a zero stop isn’t mandatory but is going to most likely be on any good scope.    
Look at a 300 yard shot using center x using my current weather.  
Attachment Attached File

A cheap scope isn’t going to hold up in the long run with reliable tracking.   Best budget options that are not Chinese will probably be a PST gen2 or a Meopta Optika 6.  I have both and I think I’d buy another Optika 6 over the PST.

On the plus side any scope with consistent tracking will have more than adequate glass so no need to worry.   If your targets are of smaller scale then you need to have a good optic.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top