Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2020 11:39:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez]
picking up a b14 hmr in .308-

Its been a LONG time since I've done anything past 400 yards and would like to get back into the game up to about 1000 yards. What I'm looking for

Mrads
Usable but not overly busy reticle
Durable
Locking/capped/zerostop

I've got a lot of experience with Schmidt and bender 3-12 from back in the day. I'm still excellent at range estimation and calculating/applying Hold overs so I only need minimal help. There's a ton of good options on the market today. Can you guys steer me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
U.S. Optics are solid.  Awesome quality glass.  Although I think the cheapest Foundation series comes in at $1999 (starting price) and has a wait time after ordering.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:11:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#2]
Under $2k - Vortex Razor gen2, Athlon Cronus, Bushnell Elite Tactical, Trijicon TenMile / Accupower, or Sig Tango6.

All are LOW Japan optics, track and hold zero well, mil/mil, FFP.  Pick which one you like the reticle and features of the most.

If it were me, I’d 110% go with a Razor gen2.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DodgeDakota:
Under $2k - Vortex Razor gen2, Athlon Cronus, Bushnell Elite Tactical, Trijicon TenMile / Accupower, or Sig Tango6.

All are LOW Japan optics, track and hold zero well, mil/mil, FFP.  Pick which one you like the reticle and features of the most.

If it were me, I’d 110% go with a Razor gen2.
View Quote

I definitely looked at those. From the pictures I don't like the reticle design- how is it real world?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Definitely Razor II in that price range. The 7C reticle is very usable and great in real word match shooting. For holds it works great and not overly cluttered.
View Quote

I agree with the others...tough to get better then a razor 2 for the money spent...
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I would look at the Leupold Mark 5.  Half the weight of the Razor.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushnell DMR 2 open box from cameraland ny ~$900

Bushnell XRS 2 ~$1600

Razor 2 4.5-27 ~$1800

All great options.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Nightforce NX8
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#9]
If you shop around and wait for a deal you can get a lot of scope for $1500-$2k.  That price range is packed with options and usually closer to the $1500 side on the second hand market, and some being even less.  The Razor Gen 2, Bushnell XRS, Leupold MK5, Eotech VUDU, Steiner TXi, Razor AMG, and Burris XTR III.  Up that a few hundred more and you start getting into the Khales, ATACR, and maybe a good deal on a S&B price range.  

Check out all the reticles on the manufactures websites and see what you prefer.  The Christmas tree type reticles, or more hashmarks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I would recommend the Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18×44, the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20×50, or the Burris XTR 3.  All 3 are excellent in the glass department, have capped windage, and zero stop. The turrets rank Leupold, Burris, then Nightforce. Leupold did something right with the mark 5 series when they designed the turrets. They all can be had in your price range and outrank the Vortex razor gen 2 in weight with ease. If you are interested, I am selling a Burris XTR 3 3.3-18×50 SR2 MIL reticle, new in box for $1500. It has a very usable and useful reticle. A 2 revolution turret which will get you to 1000 without losing yourself in the dials.  I sent a XTR 2 1-8 in for repair and they couldn't repair or replace it so they credited me its value to use one of their other products. I got the 1-8 for a steal of a deal so I don't have a lot of money into the XTR 3. Less than the asking price. The XTR 3 is still covered in plastic and just arrived today. Midway is asking $1750 for the exact model. Best of luck in your search. 👍
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#11]
If by “back in the day” you mean military, then you need to start contacting optics companies or get on ExpertVoice.com and get professional discounts.  Leupold offers 45% off MSRP to qualified veterans and current MIL/LE.  Other companies like NightForce also do special pricing like that.  ExpertVoice has companies like Vortex, Steiner and Leica, and all three of those are premium companies that have tactical scopes in your price range through their site.  

I’d heavily push you towards, Vortex Razor Gen2, Bushnell Elite DMR or XRS, NightForce NX8, Steiner T5Xi or Leupold Mark5.  

Also, have you already bought the .308?  Was there a reason you went with that caliber versus a 6.5mm option?
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have any feedback on the Trijicon Tenmile ? Looks like a strong competitor for the money.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I just picked up an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 with the APRS MIL reticle and am very pleased. Super clear glass for the money. I plan on spending some time behind it directly and will report back.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 3:07:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5shotsOnehole] [#14]
Does it have to be new? You can pick up some top tier scopes within that range used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top