Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2020 11:27:56 AM EDT
Applied for tags this year in NV, antelope mule and elk. Everything ive been told, chance of antelope, muleys and elk are more then likely points. That said i'm getting my pack all together in preparation for when i do draw.

Whats in your packs and whats the duration of the hunt out of the backpack?

Also if any tips and suggestions on the gear so far will be appreciated.

tent - nemo hornet 2P with footprint
klymit insulated XL sleeping pad
need a sleep system still but will probably just bring a blanket this time around.

rifle - Tikka t3 in 6.5 creedmore topped with a bushnell forge optic and warne rings
round will be a hand load 143 eld-x
Is a tripod overkill? if im spot and stalking antelope i can either bring my tripod with hog saddle or use my walking sticks as a makeshift long bipod (rifle does have a harris bipod)

Marsuipal gear bino chest rig with pouch for rangefinder and wind detector
binos - vortex diamondack HD 10x42
RF vortex ranger 1500
smoke in a bottle wind checker
ham radio

Pack is a beartooth 80 for mystery ranch
kill kit - rokslide kill kit  (contents below) with tyto knife and spare blades (will also have a sharp pocket knife if a sturdier blade is needed for skinning.) will have 3-4 more sets of gloves i add.

1 Kifaru Medium PullOut
1 T.A.G. BOMB Bag Set
1 Kifaru Meat Baggie
1 Roll of Ultralight marking ribbon
2- 20ft section of orange mil spec 550 cord
1 set of vinyl gloves

fire starting kit
First aid kit (smaller pouch easily accessible and larger kit inside.)
emergency signal
spare clothing (1 set pants/shirt couple sets of socks)
water, water, water
water purification (though not sure how much water there is around the areas ill be hunting)
food/snacks
multitool
Axe/hatchet
baby wipes
compass (and a spare)
maps of the hunt area
phone charger (for the app that has the hunting maps and zones)

Obviously the pack will be dependent on the type/length of hunt and i'm assuming antelope are spot and stalk so it will be main pack removed and carry water, snacks, first aid, emergency signal, longer backpack type hunts where im living out of the pack for a few days will be full pack to the camp site and then remove it. But for those of you who hunt alot whats in your pack and what have you added or removed as you learned. If you added or removed something what was the reason? I know alot of this is over kill for basic hunting but id like to eventually hunt in other states and for bigger game so im trying to just get all the gear together and have it and not need it then come across the deal of a life but cant go because i dont have the gear.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Never hunted out west. I watch a lot of randy newberg videos. He has several bag dump videos.

I would differentiate between a day pack and a multi day trip or overnight trip.

Great thing about the MT frame packs is that you can buy the bag only option. Keep your large pack for multi day hunts. Buy a mule bag for day pack.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
Never hunted out west. I watch a lot of randy newberg videos. He has several bag dump videos.

I would differentiate between a day pack and a multi day trip or overnight trip.

Great thing about the MT frame packs is that you can buy the bag only option. Keep your large pack for multi day hunts. Buy a mule bag for day pack.
View Quote

Yea I was reading someone bought the pack I have and it was too large so they grabbed another pack only for shorter hunts. I'll have to look up his bag dump videos, I've watched quote a bit of his hunts.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah.  I like the look of the mule pack.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:25:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 07yzryder:

Yea I was reading someone bought the pack I have and it was too large so they grabbed another pack only for shorter hunts. I'll have to look up his bag dump videos, I've watched quote a bit of his hunts.

Thanks
View Quote

I prefer one pack for them all. Just because you have the room doesnt mean you have to load it full. I put all my gear in kifaru storage bags so I can pull or add what I need. Also if you kill an animal it's nice being able to haul a bunch out and not have to go back to your truck to get your haul out pack. Hunting in Nevada my entire life. I'll also add no matter what If you step away from the truck with your rifle also take your pack. So many times a quick peak turns into an all day hike.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:45:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLH3] [#5]
You need a tripod for glassing.  And you need to be prepared to spend the money to get one that you can sit behind for hours.  Meaning it moves smoothly and is easy to adjust.  I bought a cheap one and every time I moved it, the whole tripod moved or tilted or @#$Q^%#$^%.

I've been looking at the Primos Gen 3 Trigger Stick.  It has an adapter so it can quickly go from glassing to shooting rest.

And lots of Dude Wipes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#6]
handheld GPS with your state's public lands maps downloaded to backup your phone with On-X.  And make sure you set up your ON-X for offline mode as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top