Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2021 9:15:00 PM EDT
been out of the loop for a while, but interested in getting one or two?

needs to be decent, easy to program & durable- i know, choose two & pray,
but what sez the hive?
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Baofang is it for cheap shit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Baofang is it for cheap shit.
View Quote

IIRC, Baofeng were being knocked off so for a while Baofeng started marketing under the name Pofung. I have some of both and they both seem good to me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Baofeng UV-B5, UV-82, UV-9R (waterproof).

BF-H6 is a newer model that looks interesting, I haven't tried one.

UV-5R is the old standby and still sell a ton of them, they're pretty much the lowest tier radio and always have been though.

TYT TH-UV88 is a brand and model alternative to Baofeng that seems like a reasonable radio.

All of these are non-consumer radios which require programming to suitable frequencies for whatever you're going to use them for. It may or may not be technically legal for you to use said radios for the purpose you use them for, but regardless, you need to select and program suitable frequencies to avoid incoming or outgoing problems. If you don't have the knowledge or inclination to deal with self-technical-support communications, buy pre-programmed radios that are already set up for legal communications services like MURS or GMRS/FRS.

Also, many chinesium radios are now coming locked to amateur band only operation, requiring additional steps depending on what you're trying to do.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Don’t buy a Baofeng.  They’re not worth the $40-80 you’ll pay for one. Buy a better brand if you plan on doing anything more than listening.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don’t buy a Baofeng.  They’re not worth the $40-80 you’ll pay for one. Buy a better brand if you plan on doing anything more than listening.
View Quote

That's highly dependent on his intended use. Baofeng/Pofung have served me well...but my use isn't the standard use...
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It really depends on what you want to do.  I've found GMRS/MURS about perfect for local comms; short range group comms. With a mobile or home base station you can get 15-20 miles (terrain dependent) with HTs. I have several of the 8W (3rd Gen UV-5Rs) and of the dozen or so, only one bad one that wouldn't transmit...got it replaced and all are quite functional.  These are not mil-spec, but will handle light rain and bumps; I wouldn't fast rope with one, but they are fine for training.

Easiest, cheapest group comms for local distances: Baofeng GMRS

Best, and a little more complicated, is going to be any of the higher tier DMR HT's after you get your amateur license.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]
There is milspec, then there is militia-spec. Baofeng is the latter, cause I have 3 of them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is milspec, then there is militia-spec. Baofeng is the latter, cause I have 3 of them.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Re: the Baofengs - apparently the new ones being imported now are neutered and cannot transmit on the FRS or GMRS frequencies. I have no direct experience, but from what I've read this is not something that can be fixed by reprogramming, even with CHIRP. I'm glad I bought mine last year. Wish I would have bought some more, as i have no spares.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Re: the Baofengs - apparently the new ones being imported now are neutered and cannot transmit on the FRS or GMRS frequencies. I have no direct experience, but from what I've read this is not something that can be fixed by reprogramming, even with CHIRP. I'm glad I bought mine last year. Wish I would have bought some more, as i have no spares.
View Quote

I just heard the same. That's a shame! Pre-bans might start fetching a premium. I wonder if the knock-offs have the same "fix".
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't buy a Baofeng.  They're not worth the $40-80 you'll pay for one. Buy a better brand if you plan on doing anything more than listening.
View Quote
I can't remember:  Is this the same guy that recommended a big tractor for someone on 1/3 acre?  

For the vast majority of non-ham people, Baofengs will serve just fine.  Cheap enough to buy, cheap enough to use and not worry about losing/damaging them, cheap enough to "work" and if they don't, just toss them.  And the best part:  It might get them interested in ham radio, enough to get a license and the HRD* that goes with it.

* Ham Radio Disease.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty sure they can be unlocked.  There was a YT video in one of the other ham radio/baofeng threads.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered and received a Baofeng UV9R and the specific Baofeng programming cable (uses a different cable than a UV5R). Received it a week ago. Got it off eBay. Supposed to be waterproof. I programmed it with my usual selection of FRS/GMRS and MURS along with some local ham repeaters. Even programmed in some local law enforcement frequencies (where I live they are still on VHF). No issues and no problems programming it with all of the above.

Only complaint so far is I don't much like the clip but for what I plan to use it for, I don't need a clip.

My Nagoya antennas don't work on it but if I shaved the plastic on the antenna down it might work.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just ordered and received a Baofeng UV9R and the specific Baofeng programming cable (uses a different cable than a UV5R). Received it a week ago. Got it off eBay. Supposed to be waterproof. I programmed it with my usual selection of FRS/GMRS and MURS along with some local ham repeaters. Even programmed in some local law enforcement frequencies (where I live they are still on VHF). No issues and no problems programming it with all of the above.

Only complaint so far is I don't much like the clip but for what I plan to use it for, I don't need a clip.

My Nagoya antennas don't work on it but if I shaved the plastic on the antenna down it might work.
View Quote

The stock antenna on the UV9R works just as well as the aftermarket Nagoya that everyone buys for the UV5's.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pretty sure they can be unlocked.  There was a YT video in one of the other ham radio/baofeng threads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how to unlock UV5r
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sg3RJf1ZEA
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Yaesu ft4x is like $80. I don’t understand why anyone would buy a BF for ham bands.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they can!
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yaesu ft4x is like $80. I don’t understand why anyone would buy a BF for ham bands.
View Quote

I have had my general class ticket for almost a decade, and work in .gov communications.  They most defiantly have their place.  Do they compare to a high end portable or a ridiculous priced Harris XL200?  -Not even a little but again, they have their place and I have used and killed exactly two UV5ra to date.  Working on my third.  I have a few more waiting to take their turn until they walk through the gates of Valhalla!

They are exactly what they are, a disposable $25 portable.

I remember the days when a +$50 Wouxun 1P was the cheap offering.  I still have three.

YMMV & my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it  
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yaesu ft4x is like $80. I don't understand why anyone would buy a BF for ham bands.
View Quote
Did you read the thread?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 1:22:35 AM EDT
[#22]
For Coltrifle:

How is the UV9-R working for you? I'm looking at a couple of the UV9-R PRO radios to replace some dual band CCRs that died. Some of the BL9 batteries might work since they came off the A58 type radio.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For Coltrifle:

How is the UV9-R working for you? I'm looking at a couple of the UV9-R PRO radios to replace some dual band CCRs that died. Some of the BL9 batteries might work since they came off the A58 type radio.
View Quote

So far pretty good. I don’t like the clip but that’s not a big deal for my planned use of the radio. It feels more durable than the UV5R and is supposed to be waterproof (I haven’t tested that yet). It has the full TX/RX range vs being locked into the amateur radio frequencies. The programming is very similar to the UV5R so if you can program the UV5R you can also program the UV9R. I program it with CHIRP. The one I bought didn’t have the programming cable so I had to order one of them. You can’t use the same cable as the UV5R.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So far pretty good. I don’t like the clip but that’s not a big deal for my planned use of the radio. It feels more durable than the UV5R and is supposed to be waterproof (I haven’t tested that yet). It has the full TX/RX range vs being locked into the amateur radio frequencies. The programming is very similar to the UV5R so if you can program the UV5R you can also program the UV9R. I program it with CHIRP. The one I bought didn’t have the programming cable so I had to order one of them. You can’t use the same cable as the UV5R.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For Coltrifle:

They went Motorola HT1250 style cable for that one, interesting...  I have an earlier verson of that radio (UV-82) that has a similar A/B rocker PTT switch and that is probably the oddest thing as I am used to just one PTT.  I haven't used it much over my UV5R or Wouxun 1P.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Someone bought my kids a pair of decent toy walkie-talkies for running around the neighborhood and my wife returned them ... followed by "Buy 4 that talk to each other so we can listen too."

Is it possible to buy 4 of something that go farther than 50' for my kids to use as walkie-talkies and can also be used as legit comms when the zombies attack?

If this has already been hashed to death, just link me to that thread.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I picked up some 100mW kids’ radios that are fixed on FRS1 with no tone. Tiny fixed antennae, powered by a 9V battery. They are just adequate enough to cover my 2 acre property when the kids use them to talk to me. I’m using an Anytone 868 to talk to them and the performance is just fine for that application.

I don’t need nor want my kids to be heard beyond the range of an inferior 100mW radio, so that suits my situation perfectly.
View Quote

??

Link?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Someone bought my kids a pair of decent toy walkie-talkies for running around the neighborhood and my wife returned them ... followed by "Buy 4 that talk to each other so we can listen too."

Is it possible to buy 4 of something that go farther than 50' for my kids to use as walkie-talkies and can also be used as legit comms when the zombies attack?

View Quote

Buy 4 Baofeng radios such as the UV5R or UV9R and program them to FRS frequencies.

Most of the low power kids walkie talkies are on CB frequencies or FRS frequencies. In the CB days, if they only had one channel it was on channel 14 if I remember correctly. I remember having some Realistic walkie talkies from Radio Shack and they had 3 channels (I think) and they didn’t talk far…maybe 1 mile or so. I remember having a set of kids walkie talkies and I don’t think they reached more than 100 yards or so….pretty weak.

Most of the family “bubble pack” radios are on FRS frequencies and they won’t talk very far….maybe a mile or two at best. A Baofeng will reach out a little farther.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Buy 4 Baofeng radios such as the UV5R or UV9R and program them to FRS frequencies.

Most of the low power kids walkie talkies are on CB frequencies or FRS frequencies. In the CB days, if they only had one channel it was on channel 14 if I remember correctly. I remember having some Realistic walkie talkies from Radio Shack and they had 3 channels (I think) and they didn’t talk far…maybe 1 mile or so. I remember having a set of kids walkie talkies and I don’t think they reached more than 100 yards or so….pretty weak.

Most of the family “bubble pack” radios are on FRS frequencies and they won’t talk very far….maybe a mile or two at best. A Baofeng will reach out a little farther.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want Baofengs to give to your kids, do not buy the ham-ish UV-5R or UV-9R with full keypad and big display, buy the very cheap and very simple BF-888. Or buy the pre-programmed FRS version of the same.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 2:21:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Even CB walkie talkies are getting fancy. QYT Cb-58 has CTCSS and DPL with FM and AM modes. It has a robust Li-on battery and a AA pack. The President Randy 2 is due out with AM and FM modes. Both are a little pricey at about $139.00 apiece. No pseudo encryption though!
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:47:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you want Baofengs to give to your kids, do not buy the ham-ish UV-5R or UV-9R with full keypad and big display, buy the very cheap and very simple BF-888. Or buy the pre-programmed FRS version of the same.
View Quote

+1 on the BF888 for hand outs (I have five.)
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This. Yaesu has some low end models that look similar to Baofengs, but I'd expect Yaesu quality and warranty support.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Yaesu has some low end models that look similar to Baofengs, but I'd expect Yaesu quality and warranty support.

Different strokes for different folks but the going rate for China HT is less than $25, and even less if you hawk for deals.

I don't see any Yaesu HT offerings for less than $90ish?

Mobile radio is a different story that's where the $ should be plunked so you get good scan rates and ease of use.  My favorite amateur mobile is a basic FT-1900, had one in my Jeep for years.  Now I have a single cab truck and no real good spot for a mobile (I hate radios stuck to the dash) so I don't run one there.  In my work car I run a Harris XG-25.  When at work I use a XL-200 portable.

In my rat rod i only run a CB.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I agree Yaesu is a higher quality radio, what Yaesu radio does GMRS, MURS, and FRS? A couple will received, but as legally configured, none will transmit. I have zero issues with people bitching about the Baofeng radios made in China, but as a GMRS/MURS radio, with extra receive features, they're feature rich.  As to build quality? They're definitely not going to hold up to parachute landings, fast roping, or any other form of combat acrobatics, but so far, they've held up under typical field conditions for me.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I've never understood the hate some hams have for Baofengs.  Almost all the outcomes of people buying these radios are positive for the ham radio community.

And it's a false choice most make when arguing their points:

"Don't buy a Baofeng! (for $25), buy a Yaesu (for +$75 or whatever*)!"

The real choice for the vast majority of non-hams buying these radios is:  $25 for a Baofeng - or nothing.  $25 is cheap and easy to dip your toe in the water; $75 not so much, especially if you plan on buying multiple radios.

Yeah yeah, they *might* get on some ham frequencies, interfere with somebody and the next thing you know, foxhunts be happenin'.  Whoopie-dip-do.  

But for the vast majority of cases, IMO, is either one of two things will happen:  People use them, get tired of them, the radios end up in a drawer somewhere

-or-

People use them some, like them, get interested in ham radio, they get their license and Bob's Your Uncle.  Good for the ham community with hardly any downside.

They are what they are.

* The cheapest Yaesu HT 2m/70cm I could find on HRO was just under $90.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#37]
yeasu FT-65 runs circles around the baofeng.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

While I agree Yaesu is a higher quality radio, what Yaesu radio does GMRS, MURS, and FRS? A couple will received, but as legally configured, none will transmit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I agree Yaesu is a higher quality radio, what Yaesu radio does GMRS, MURS, and FRS? A couple will received, but as legally configured, none will transmit.

Yaesu or other Part 97 radios will not work correctly on GMRS/MURS/FRS/LMR, and modifying them to transmit on those frequencies won't make them work correctly either.

If you want to use non-amateur radio frequencies, get a radio that's designed for those frequencies.

If Baofeng isn't to your taste and you want to use non-amateur frequencies, and you want a fully programmable radio, get another brand of fully programmable LMR radio from Icom, Kenwood, Vertex, Motorola, Tait, etc etc.

Many of those manufacturers make various radios for various uses, for most applications that would be applicable to this forum you want an LMR radio.

Quoted:

If you're an amateur on amateur frequencies, probably. If you're a typical outdoors guy or survival forum member who needs some GMRS or MURS channels, then no.

Amateur radio isn't all there is to personal communications.

Quoted:
I've never understood the hate some hams have for Baofengs.

Their technical quality is poor, their build quality is poor, trending toward toy-like.

Due to the openness of their firmware and inexpensive price, they have become synonymous with malicious use, or at least inappropriate use, across both the amateur as well as other parts of the radio spectrum. They are very useful and inexpensive, but also the mainstay of the glock-held-sideways contingent of radio users. Expanding the CB lunatic mindset into the actually functional parts of the spectrum.

An expensive Motorola or other radio can do what they can do, it's just that the cost and complexity of programming has served as a hurdle that has kept most of the garbage away from some pretty important parts of the radio spectrum. Regardless of the radio, people need to have some sense about what they are doing, be considerate and mindful of not causing problems. Unless people are really involved in the communications world, most do not have enough knowledge to do that though.

I have several, most amateurs have one or more, they are a cheap handheld that does most of what most amateurs need a handheld for.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Did you read the thread?  
View Quote

I read the first post where the OP asked for suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#40]
If you buy baofengs straight from China they get delivered to you unlocked……just ordered (2) uv82 HPs two weeks ago programmed fine for FRS/GMRS/MURS along with other frequencies
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Again, without illegally modifying, you can't transmit MURS/GMRS on the FT65; and without an Amateur License, you can't transmit 144/440 bands. It's not about "running circles around", it's about what you want and what you're willing to do for it.  While I fully agree Yaesu is going to give you a better radio, they aren't going to give you a better MURS/GMRS radio.  And the only people you will be able to converse with will require their own license. They are apples and oranges. Period.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

how to unlock UV5r
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sg3RJf1ZEA
View Quote

And how to unlock UV-82
Unlock a Baofeng UV-82 or UV-9R to Transmit Outside of Ham Bands
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Presumably there won't be any feedback from the Ukraine war zone about how the inexpensive handheld radios worked out. I'd like to know from real world information the following.

1. Are the 60 dollar radios any more reliable than the 25 dollar ones?
2. Does short range intrasquad comms really need encryption?
3. Do you change operations frequencies every day or every mission?
4. How do you charge your radios if you are running multi-day ops?
5. We're your Baofeng radios issued or personally supplied?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:22:06 AM EDT
[#44]
@HankZudd - I may have inadvertently hijacked your thread - sorry, man. I have a bunch more questions about cheap radios to give my kids that maybe can 'talk' to/from legit comms but I'm not smart enuf to ask those questions efficiently :( I will move my questions to a new thread, @ mention people and cross-post a link back here in case you are interested.

@everyone else - thanks for your input thus far. I'll @ mention you in the other thread - no action requested of you to 'track' back & forth  

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is the adversary gorilla/militia type or sophisticated military?

If the adversary is even slightly sophisticated you can be certain they will be listening. A significant amount of intel gathered by US troops in various theaters of operation such as Afghanistan etc, is from unencrypted comms.

And just because the source is "low power" you shouldn't assume an adversary cannot hear from a distance. There are means to intercept those comms.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:33:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If the adversary is even slightly sophisticated you can be certain they will be listening. A significant amount of intel gathered by US troops in various theaters of operation such as Afghanistan etc, is from unencrypted comms.

And just because the source is "low power" you shouldn't assume an adversary cannot hear from a distance. There are means to intercept those comms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gamma762's post shows usage in the Ukrainian Russian conflict. Where the usage is occurring is the question? Near or far from the enemy? I would assume Russia is peer or near peer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Gamma762's post shows usage in the Ukrainian Russian conflict. Where the usage is occurring is the question? Near or far from the enemy? I would assume Russia is peer or near peer.
View Quote

What we have discovered is Russia is a third world military. The only thing they have going for them is a willingness to die for a propaganda cause and a shitload of shitty military hardware.

As far as communications, we can see the Russians are using a lot of Baofeng radios. Combat is brutal on equipment so that says something positive about the quality….but we also don’t know how often they are replacing them. We know their communications plan is extremely lacking in sophistication so their reliance on Baofeng radios, is hilariously bad. For inter squad comm, they aren’t bad especially when going against a third world military.

If your plan is to fend off the invading hordes with your stored food, stored ammo, and Baofeng radios…you’re probably in trouble. On the other hand, luckily for us, invasion by a shitty military (or even a decent military) isn’t on the horizon for us. Internal unrest is a FAR greater threat to us and for that, Baofeng radios and similar should work fine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Since there is no WikiLeaks going now, the public will never know the truth. BUT! Is the third world performance of the Russian military something just discovered or was a known but extremely secret intelligence?  It is hard to justify massive military expenditures when the dangerous peer opponent is known to be a clumsy buffoon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Since there is no WikiLeaks going now, the public will never know the truth. BUT! Is the third world performance of the Russian military something just discovered or was a known but extremely secret intelligence?  It is hard to justify massive military expenditures when the dangerous peer opponent is known to be a clumsy buffoon.
View Quote

My uneducated opinion: Russia is sand bagging a bit. They're not throwing everything they have at the problem because they keep underestimating Ukraine and the effects of the foreign hardware Ukraine is being supplied with. Ukraine is proving to be a great test for military hardware capabilities and vulnerabilities on both sides. You can be certain we have folks and equipment on the ground looking & listening to learn everything we can about Russia's latest & greatest as well as their tactics and techniques.

Additionally, a lot of Russia's military development efforts in the last few decades have been focused on other types of warfare which has left them less prepared for the conflict in Ukraine. The news of their struggles and failures may paint them as a weak or ill-equipped adversary, but they are not.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well we also know that Russia only has one invasion plan they keep dusting off and reusing.  That's not what a first rate military leadership does.  

Back in the 1980s, the Soviet Union was believed to be at the top.  They were thought to be a first world military.  But, there were visible cracks.  I read a book (can't remember the name or the author) who wrote a book about Soviet capabilities back in the early 1980s.  He didn't look at planes or bombs or missiles.  He looked at the average soldier and concluded, they would perform very very poorly.  He explained the lack of training at the squad level and the lack of care for the well being of the troops on the bottom.

While the US has been focused on refining squad level tactics and putting good equipment and technology in the hands of low ranking troops, Russia has been ignoring them (and raping and hazing them).  Russia loves putting on a show with parades and dog and pony shows but ignores their own weaknesses.  

The first part of any tactical assessment is acknowledging your own weaknesses.  Tyrannical leaders are historically unwilling to accept criticism or conduct or even accept honest self assessments.

The issue for US military planners is....do you assume the Russian military is as shitty as we have seen? Or, do you plan for the worst?   Any time you plan for military contingencies, you should NEVER underestimate your enemy.  

To bring this back to radios, the Russian military never spent the money to equip their low level troops with proper radios.  So, before they deployed they had to do something...so instead of proper military grade radios, they equipped their troops with Baofeng radios...not because they were the best but because they are good enough and will basically do what they need...while being cheap and available.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top