Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2023 10:33:13 AM EDT
Waders seem to make it 2 seasons if I'm lucky.  I need new ones that don't break the bank.  I have used Cabelas neoprene, frog toggs breathable, and a couple other brands all in the 200.00 dollar range.  They all seem to leak or straps break before end of 2nd season or beginning of 3rd.
I hunt pretty heavy during season and rarely miss a weekend.

anyone getting more than 2 seasons from their waders?  Which ones?
any preventative maintenance to help longevity?
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 2:28:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H2K] [#1]
I have a pair of Hisea insulated neoprenes, they seem to be made well and appear to have a decent warranty if there are any issues.

https://www.hisea.com/mens-waders/
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:03:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#3]
I have come to the realization that most waders are a throw away product.  Our season runs from Sept 1 thru about Christmas and I need a couple pairs of waders to cover all the conditions we have.  My light weight breathables (minimum insulation in the boot, 400g or less) get the most use from 9/1 to about Dec 1 and then my heavy neoprenes from then on.  Granted we hunt out of the boat 98% of the time and run heaters, no walk ins to speak of, and when we do it is short.

Here is what we (hunting partner and myself) have been doing the last 5 years or so.

Academy breathables, love them except for the "belt" and started leaking at the top of the right boot this november, second season, shoe goo is your friend.

Cabelas breathables, got 2.5 seasons (both of us) and leaks started everywhere, can't get these anymore.  Shoe goo was our friend.

Banded insulated breathables, my hunting partners, second season and a random leak in the lower leg.  Shoe goo would be his friend if he could find the leak.

Cabelas 1600g neoprene, my late season pair, not comfortable for moving around but warm as hell.  Not much use, but they are I think 5 years old, developed a leak in the crotch mid December, shoe goo was my friend.

Hunting partners High N Dry breathables have been great the last 3 seasons, no shoe goo needed.  He got the last run of the 400 gram insulation before they went to 800g, expensive but worth it.

Not sure how the $1000 Sitkas hold up, along with the other new high dollar ones.

Basically all waders will leak if you use them and invest in shoe goo/aqua seal

ETA:  Throw in a pair of Rogers light weight breathables that lasted just over a year before they leaked all over, used alot of shoe goo

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
How come we cant get waders that dont leak for at least 2 years of heavy use....

Looks like I will just end up buying a couple pair when they go on sale this year.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gnarlyfeet:
How come we cant get waders that dont leak for at least 2 years of heavy use....

Looks like I will just end up buying a couple pair when they go on sale this year.
View Quote
Follow the $$ and where they are made    Academy has some good sales going on now, going to have my daughter grab another pair for me when she gets back to school in OK.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Chene or Roger's toughman.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got 4 completed seasons on my Drake Guardian Elite 6 layer 4-in-1chest waders. I've had zero issues so far. I've done some maintenance here and there to be proactive in the off season(patches in high use areas on the inside of the seat area and marine goop some boot seams). I typically hunt 30-45 days per season in MN. Broken plenty of ice and exclusively hunt from a boat/shore. I think they're discontinued now. I've got there front zip with removable liner on tap for when they go but they just hold up. Just my 2 cents if you're still looking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top