Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2022 9:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: triple6]
trying to get outside more with the family and not lug so much water from home

looking at a few of the filters at REI and they catch everything but viruses.
are viruses a real threat stateside? specifically in NC

educate me, I've always packed water in
looked at the sawyer squeeze and katadyn and both look good
just not sure about viruses

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Lifesaver jerry can, expensive but worth it to me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks I"ll keep in mind for car camping
but a tad bit heavy for me as the pack mule
for the wife and kiddo
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Steripen
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Viruses are not a major concern stateside. However there is some filtration systems that do viruses as well.

GRAYL Bottle

I use a MSR Mini as my primary filtration system. It doesn't cover viruses but it will thread onto a wide mouth bottle to fill on the go. Easy to use and clean.

As a backup I keep a Sawyer Squeeze. Super simple and lightweight. Just know that the little Sawyer water bags are not durable at all. None have made it to a year of use for me. So be prepared to use a different bag or bottle for it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:43:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By triple6:
trying to get outside more with the family and not lug so much water from home

looking at a few of the filters at REI and they catch everything but viruses.
are viruses a real threat stateside? specifically in NC

educate me, I've always packed water in
looked at the sawyer squeeze and katadyn and both look good
just not sure about viruses

View Quote

Viral contamination is generally not an issue stateside, unless there's the possibility of fecal contamination in the water.

That said, my favorite setup is a hybrid.

I use a Sawyer Mini Point One filter and carry 2 squeeze bags for quick water (1 for use, 1 as a backup/spare. They're light), but the main use is with the Platypus Gravityworks 4.0L bags (prefer their design to Sawyer's gravity setup). Much easier for filtering water at camp. Just fill the dirty (unfiltered water) bag and hang it up and connect the Sawyer filter and the 'Clean water' bag. Let gravity do the work. No more pumping. Backflush the Sawyer every so often (more frequently if the water source is turbid).

For viral contamination concerns, either carry Aquamira, or a Steripen. A Steripen uses UV-C Light to kill microorganisms, but it takes much less exposure time to kill any viruses in water that's already been through a Sawyer (parasites like Cryptospridium and Giardia need longer exposure times to neutralize, than viruses).
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the Sawyer Squeeze fur primary filtration and back that up with tables for anything the Squeeze misses
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
I use the Sawyer Squeeze for primary filtration and back that up with tablets for anything the Squeeze misses
View Quote

I carry the tablets just in case the squeeze takes a shit on me.
These
are decent bottles for filter use. Just be careful with taking the cap on and off. These kick the sawyer bags asses.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

These
are decent bottles for filter use. Just be careful with taking the cap on and off. These kick the sawyer bags asses.
View Quote

I use the CNOC bags. You're correct that the Sawyer pouches are garbage. I'm not sure why the company hasn't upgraded their own product
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HgMike:
Viruses are not a major concern stateside. However there is some filtration systems that do viruses as well.

GRAYL Bottle

I use a MSR Mini as my primary filtration system. It doesn't cover viruses but it will thread onto a wide mouth bottle to fill on the go. Easy to use and clean.

As a backup I keep a Sawyer Squeeze. Super simple and lightweight. Just know that the little Sawyer water bags are not durable at all. None have made it to a year of use for me. So be prepared to use a different bag or bottle for it.
View Quote

I'm by no means an expert, but I've been very impressed with my GRAYL Geopress. It amazes me how it even manages to filter the smell and flavor as well. I put in nasty lake water and out comes the equivalent of bottled water. I know it supposedly is good with filtering viruses and anything else as well. The knock (along with weight, if you're an ultralight type) that I've heard is that each filter only lasts for around 65 gallons. Which isn't an issue for me as I'm not going on long outings. The filters are about $30 apiece so there are more efficient (price wise) options for heavy use.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:26:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#10]
Yes, viruses are a problem.

UV sterilizer pens, but you will want a stock of lithium batts to make sure they work properly, the ones we've used are cranky with the lower voltage from alkalines and nimhs.

Filtered water is good. Sterilized water is far better.

Always filter the water first, so the UV light has a fighting chance to sterilizer the water.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 6:11:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Whippet06] [#11]
I've been using a Sawyer Squeeze Mini for years but, I just picked up a Katadyn BeFree to try out this year. I also picked up a collapsible 2 liter container that is compatible with the filter for sections that require me to carry more water.

I'm not particularly worried about viruses.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#12]

I use the CNOC bags. You're correct that the Sawyer pouches are garbage. I'm not sure why the company hasn't upgraded their own product
View Quote

I agree with this I use 3 bags cnoc bags one for dirty water and two for clean they come in 2 and 3 liter bags that I know of and you can get a adapter for the swayer that can connect too  the one bags and swayer to the the second bag and hang it and let it gravity feed, goes pretty fast
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Sawyer Cnoc Gravity Filter System For Lots Of Water
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies
I’m going to keep researching and go from there
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#15]
For purifiers, the Grayl is decent, but a little heavy and bulky for long backpacking trips. Same with my MSR Guardian; great purifier, but pretty heavy and bulky. The Grayl is a good solo options, but I wouldn’t recommend as a group purifier. For the coin, the MSR Guardian is an incredibly good option for a small group; extremely good flow rates, ease of use, and I’ve had zero issues with mine. It’s just really expensive…but a good investment for emergencies beyond backpacking and camping.

For backpacking in areas that track virus outbreaks (the AT will post recent reports of rotavirus, etc.), I will just add the requisite Aqua Mira solution to my filtered water.  Viruses are really a very minor concern and if you’re in any populated hiking or camping areas, notices will be posted if they had an isolated case or two.  

There are a butt-load of good options, but you also have to consider you are filtering for more than one person.  My recommendation would be to get a Sawyer Squeeze (actually get two, and have your wife carry one). They will have vastly better flow than the Mini.

CNOC bags are more robust. I don’t know if Sawyer has their older bags still available for gravity setups, but they work very well for filtering water while you’re multitasking. If you use their “squeeze” bags, just pack two in case one ruptures.  I’ll run a bag until it blows, but I always backpack with a brand-new spare bag.  

I also pack along a backup of the two-part Aqua Mira solution mix. I’ll use it if we run into an area identified as having rotavirus reports, or as a backup if something happens to the filter.  

Those two and the corresponding bags of your choice are a pretty inexpensive and versatile option. I backpack with the excellent Sea to Summit Sil-Nylon 10L folding bucket.  Helps to transport water to your campsite to either cook with, filter from, or wash up with.  Highly recommend a good storage container, especially with a small group or family.

Another addition I would absolutely consider for my wife/kids is the Katadyn Be-Free.  For solo use and just filtering mostly clear water while hiking, it’s pretty solid, light, and compact (when empty).  Just another option besides them just relying on you.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I got really tired of squeezing water filtration on the loast coast trail. We had to filter water at nearly every creek.

The order of operatoins went something like this-
Arrive at the creek- doff all my gear- fill the sack and start squeezing water. Eventually, my hands would get sore and tired and the water flow dropped off a lot.

People with the sawyer gravity system- https://www.sawyer.com/products/one-gallon-gravity-water-filtration-system
They'd arrive at the creek- doff their gear- fill the sack and then proceed to frolic in the water, rest, eat- all while their water filters itself. In 10 minutes they have a gallon of filtered water.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the Katadyn pocket may be overkill for car camping type stuff but really shines when you are out for several days and not carrying all that extra water for sure.

https://www.katadyngroup.com/us/en/2010000-katadyn-pocket-water-filter~p6695

-P
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By pikachu:

I like the Katadyn pocket may be overkill for car camping type stuff but really shines when you are out for several days and not carrying all that extra water for sure.

https://www.katadyngroup.com/us/en/2010000-katadyn-pocket-water-filter~p6695

-P
View Quote

This. I've used this for years with no issues.  Maybe a little big for backpacking but works.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Sintax77 compares the Sawyer Squeeze vs. the Sawyer Mini

Sawyer Mini Vs Saywer Squeeze Water Filter System

Sinax77 discusses why he's considering going back to the Sawyer Squeeze due to clogging issues with the Sawyer Mini

SinChats - Going Back to Sawyer Squeeze instead of Sawyer Mini?

I also understand that Sawyer has a new unit called the "Micro".

I have a Mini but have never used it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Sawyer Micro vs. Katadyn Be-Free:

Sawyer Micro vs Katadyn BeFree - Flow Rate, Size, Weight & Gravity Filter Options
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Sawyer Mini water system an hacks:

SAWYER MINI WATER FILTER SYSTEM & HACKS
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:06:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Sinax77 discusses why he's considering going back to the Sawyer Squeeze due to clogging issues with the Sawyer Mini
View Quote

I'm going back to the large squeeze. I've used Mini's for several trips, but one really bad experience was my decision point.  For shorter trips, a new or tested Mini is fine for a solo hiker. When it starts to clog and it won't clear out with a backflush, it's a huge liability (another reason I routinely pack a small dropper combo Aqua Mira solution mix). Water quality is mostly good, but when it takes 30 minutes to squeeze out a couple liters of water and you actually blowout one of your two squeeze bags, you're burning time, wasting resources, and getting frustrated.

The original Squeeze is larger and heavier, but the flow rate, even when bogged down a big, is still extremely good.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HgMike:

GRAYL Bottle

View Quote

The MRS is what I have been using for years while kayak camping. It's light, a nalgene bottle screws right into the bottom.  I do Binder a coffee filter on the end just to add a little extra filter for bigger contaminants
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I know this thread is over a year old, but (and I haven't looked into anything) why no recommendations on LifeStraw?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By boiledmilkfat:
I know this thread is over a year old, but (and I haven't looked into anything) why no recommendations on LifeStraw?
View Quote

Mainly because they're not particularly efficient. Every time you want to get a drink you have to find a water source then get down on all fours. At best a PITA. A worst, a no-go it water sources are few and far between or non-existent.

I was in Walmart (yeah, I know so sue me) yesterday and found a Sawyer Squeeze Filtration kit for $30.50. Kit includes filter, three collection bags, inline adapters for use with hydration bladders, a backflush syringe, and a hanging bag and tubing or use as a gravity feed system. Pretty diverse, and a lot of sporting goods retailers typically sell this item for around $50.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

I'm going back to the large squeeze. I've used Mini's for several trips, but one really bad experience was my decision point.  For shorter trips, a new or tested Mini is fine for a solo hiker. When it starts to clog and it won't clear out with a backflush, it's a huge liability (another reason I routinely pack a small dropper combo Aqua Mira solution mix). Water quality is mostly good, but when it takes 30 minutes to squeeze out a couple liters of water and you actually blowout one of your two squeeze bags, you're burning time, wasting resources, and getting frustrated.

The original Squeeze is larger and heavier, but the flow rate, even when bogged down a big, is still extremely good.

ROCK6
View Quote

@ROCK6

I also just purchased the original Sawyer Squeeze for the same reason. Potable Aqua tabs as a back-up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
I also just purchased the original Sawyer Squeeze for the same reason. Potable Aqua tabs as a back-up.
View Quote

I don't mind the Mini for day-hikes or a weekend trip, but for backpacking multiple days, I had to make the decision to add a little more weight for the reliability and better flow rate of the larger Squeeze. If you're counting grams, there's a significant difference (2.5oz vs. 1.4oz); and for any added connectors, it will cost you a few more grams, but it's still worth it.  When you're hot, and tired, and impatient...that's how you burst a water bag when the Mini is just too clogged to filter...and yes, that was after I tried back flushing several times.  The other option is just to buy a new Mini for each long trip and test it out, but that becomes tedious and the investment adds up.  

I don't what to bash the Mini, I've used them for several trips, but just one or two bad experiences makes you reconsider them for anything more than a few days on the trail.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Used the mini for most of a 500 mi hike, never had problems but never had really bad water.  I also would back flush once a day.  Used a new micro on a short trip and was not impressed at all.  Carried MSR water tabs too, light and cheap insurance
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Katadyn Be-Free is my suggestion. I use one at least once a week. Never been sick yet. I like that it take very little room up and the flow rate is great. Easy to clean as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Just purchased the Be Free filter from Katadyn. Got the 1 liter version. looking forward to using it this year. I spent alot of time researching, and this one was the one I chose.
Simple
stows small
no tool required for back flushing
good flow rate
Good reputation by a great company
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Harv24:
Just purchased the Be Free filter from Katadyn. Got the 1 liter version. looking forward to using it this year. I spent alot of time researching, and this one was the one I chose.
Simple
stows small
good flow rate
View Quote

Do you mind expounding on that?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

These

@tc556guy
How's the long term durability for the CNOC bags?  I just bought a Sawyer squeeze and, having read all about the issues with the included bags, would like to get it right before I need it on a trip.  

If they're a go, should I buy two of them, or are the Sawyer bags good enough for the bottom?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#34]
My Cnocs are, I believe, the second generation product. The first generation didnt have captured sliders and caps. The current third generation bags are even more different; I understand the company changed the material in the bag itself. I've been running my bags for three or four years now with no issues. i wont be buying a replacement bag until one of the ones I have already springs a leak
I wouldnt bother with the  Sawyer bags. Complete trash. Maybe save one to cut in half and use as a scoop in low level water sources
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:17:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FritzTKatt] [#35]
The gallon sawyer bags aren’t bad. I spray painted them, dark brown for dirty, light green for clean.

The filters themselves aren’t bad, hanging off a branch or whatever to get some head pressure. I filtered some nasty ass farm pond water, among some better sources, and haven’t gotten sick. Definitely want to backflush more the nastier the water. Allegedly they will leech tannins, as a properly functioning unit.

Sawyer is very direct in their stipulation that the filters absolutely cannot be frozen after being used.

ETA: I found the mini squeeze bags pretty tough for what they are. That said, the poster above who suggested carrying a backup… sage advice. You can also use both if needed, so you can transport more water to clean at your convenience. The gallon bags collect pretty good and have carry handles.

I would like to find some kind of freeze proof filter. I don’t expect it to flow if below freezing, but to maintain it’s integrity after the thaw. Ideally something completely analog/gravity. Looks like the best option is to maybe use a frozen sawyer for particulate, then boil. Probably want to paint that busted one red.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By abnk:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By abnk:
Originally Posted By Harv24:
Simple
stows small
good flow rate

You're a year late to the party.
90-year-old company based out of Switzerland who has there shit together when it comes to water purification. And had led with a lot of innovation to create lifesaving products that can be relied upon when you need them.

Good enough for you?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I used a Sawyer mini for a few years then it started having a strange taste.  I think I got some really peaty water in it.  I switched to the larger squeeze.  They work good but if the water has a flavor, they dont filter that.

Last year I bought a grayl ultralight and loved it.  I just bought the larger grayl geopress and will try it out this weekend in dolly sods.

They're $$$ though

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#38]
I didn’t really love the squeeze options I’ve tried and now use the smallest platypus gravity filter. 9.1 ounces but the convenience factor is worth it for me. Works very well for groups too.

I’ve never bothered with treating for viruses.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Sawyer squeeze with the addition of the Sawyer coupling which lets me screw a water bottle onto the outflow of the filter. Leave the bottle a little loose when you screw it on for the air to escape and it makes a fine gravity flow system using the mesh bag that comes with the filter.

This also allows you to use a water bottle with water that you have already filtered to back flush your filter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#40]
In Hawaii we have leptospirosis which is a tropical bacteria that is 0.1 micron in width, the size of a large virsus.  It comes from feral animals in the streams and regular filters won't remove it.

I carry a Grayil and Steripen, both of which remove viruses and bacteria.

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:
I got really tired of squeezing water filtration on the loast coast trail. We had to filter water at nearly every creek.

The order of operatoins went something like this-
Arrive at the creek- doff all my gear- fill the sack and start squeezing water. Eventually, my hands would get sore and tired and the water flow dropped off a lot.

People with the sawyer gravity system- https://www.sawyer.com/products/one-gallon-gravity-water-filtration-system
They'd arrive at the creek- doff their gear- fill the sack and then proceed to frolic in the water, rest, eat- all while their water filters itself. In 10 minutes they have a gallon of filtered water.
View Quote

I've been using an ad hoc gravity system made from Platypus, Sawyer and Osprey parts for a number of years.  I'm on my second filtration bag, as the first one got chewed on by a pika or something like that while we up on a climb earlier that day.  Field repair of the hole was not great, but not terrible, either.

And the system in action, with a modest degree of PikaProofing, suspended from my trekking pole, rather than simply placing it on a rock where it is vulnerable to attack.

And more PikaProofing.  You have to hang this stuff out and away from the rocks.  Anything that has come into contact with your sweat ... you have to hang that ... otherwise alpine rodents will tear it apart for the salt.  If you pass out on the ground, they will come up to you and lick the salt off your face and gnaw on your clothing.  Same goes for tentless bivis - they will come up to you at night and try to lick your face.

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I carry the Katadyn pump type. Yes it is bulkier and heavier than the squeeze (Which is very popular on the trails) but in my opinion it is easier to use and can filter a lot more water before clogging up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top