Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2021 6:30:52 PM EDT
Looking to possible buy some extra land and go tiny for that property. Houses today are so big and the wife and I would be better off building/buying ourselves for this project. We used to vacation on our 30 sailboat on lake michigan.
love the idea of small living. I spend two years on float in the Marines too

thinking compost toilet some kind of water system (not sure what is available). How many here have a tiny homestead? electric could be solar or generator. We don't want much to take care of.
This will be more a getaway homestead as we are staying where we are at for some time.

anyone regret going small? I have been downsizing everything for the last year and plan on keep going.

I saw a small wood stoveAttachment Attached File
that was wall mountable and small pump sinks

Attachment Attached File

thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to do similar for a get away. Young kids so not interested in full time.

Check out HGTV living tiny and similar. I have seen a bunch and learned a ton.

When we do it, will be a cabin with a storage trailer for essentials. Organization seems critical in this kind of adventure
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
my uncle had a cabin near Laramie with not good water available. he used a poly agri tank on a small trailer to haul water out there, where he ran it thru an RV pump into the cabin.  he was smug about his outhouse, it was the nicest around.  beautiful view of the Snowys.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Just put a camper there and be done with it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out Simple Living Alaska on YouTube for ideas. Young couple but not annoying and they're trying to help people out who want to be independent.

There's also Exploring Alternatives on YT that does little features of all sorts of different kinds of alternative houses. Some are great, some are insane, some you can tell people are just hiding the pain.

As for toilets you can go composting or vermicomposting toilet.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you read this one: Idaho Thread?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top