BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 32
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:

My eye balls hurt after taking the test.
View Quote
Pretty sure I got more wrong than right LOL. Knew it was a Longshot but figured why not after passing tech and general.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:57:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoyoteGray] [#2]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Pretty sure I got more wrong than right LOL. Knew it was a Longshot but figured why not after passing tech and general.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I was surprised when they told me I passed. I had studied for general and extra. I knew I had passed general so I tried for extra. Both together like that was a stretch for me...

If you put a gun to my head, I couldn’t pass it today..
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
View All Quotes
Extra is no joke.....
I studied for about 2 weeks, then took about 60-70 practice tests, to include the morning of the test. I was only passing about 2/3 of the practice tests and passed the actual test with 1 to spare.

It was the 3rd time I took extra.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I had my first class tonight that will take till Nov 7th for the exam.

That said can someone explain the difference between a control operator in regard to amateur stations?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By F15Mech:

That said can someone explain the difference between a control operator in regard to amateur stations?

Thanks
View Quote
As I understand it, the control operator is the licensee in charge of the transmitter.

You may let someone else operate your radio, but you, as control operator, must be present to see that the rules are followed

This may explain it better. https://newhams.info/2018/11/13/control-operator/
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By wayneshq:
As I understand it, the control operator is the licensee in charge of the transmitter.

You may let someone else operate your radio, but you, as control operator, must be present to see that the rules are followed

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wayneshq:
Originally Posted By F15Mech:

Thanks

Thanks that helps.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to start studying to get a license today.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I asked this in another thread and didn't get a response.  I have a General Radiotelephone Operator License (PG) which used to be called Radiotelephone Operator First Class.  I have a Ship's Radar endorsement as well.  This is a lifetime license.  I got it when I was in school and only used it for a short while, but it is still active.  Do I need a HAM as well?
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Short answer, yes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Well then I guess I will start studying.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 4:38:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCWolverine] [#11]
Welcome in fellas! ARFham is the Best Ham!

ETA: This past Tuesday my 2nd born son (14) passed his tech!  Now he and the Eldest (16) can bug each other on the air!
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Corvette-Racer:
I asked this in another thread and didn't get a response.  I have a General Radiotelephone Operator License (PG) which used to be called Radiotelephone Operator First Class.  I have a Ship's Radar endorsement as well.  This is a lifetime license.  I got it when I was in school and only used it for a short while, but it is still active.  Do I need a HAM as well?
View Quote
We had a recent thread asking the same question.  The licenses do NOT overlap.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/General-Radiontelephone-Operator-License/22-695135/
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread and forum caught my interest.  Taking test here in PA on Nov 16.  Going to try tech and general at the same time - doubt I want extra at the same time.
The no-nonsense guides above area great.  Register on hamexam and it will track your stats on tests and cards and you will have an idea on what you are weak on.

You guys are costing me money....
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bigdog02:
This thread and forum caught my interest.  Taking test here in PA on Nov 16.  Going to try tech and general at the same time - doubt I want extra at the same time.
The no-nonsense guides above area great.  Register on hamexam and it will track your stats on tests and cards and you will have an idea on what you are weak on.

View Quote
Welcome to the best ham forum on the net.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:13:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCWolverine] [#15]
Originally Posted By bigdog02:

View Quote
And on that day that you talk to @piccolo while he's in the Wal-Mart parking lot wearing fatigues, chomping a cigar and talking back from a green radio connected to a wire antenna thrown over a light pole..... it'll all be worth it!
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Hello ArfHAMS.

So......where do I start?

Tangibly speaking, I'd like to for each of my vehicles to have a portable radio, and one at home, and be able to use them in an emergency.  I have no clue what kind of reach is reasonable (radius from home).

My wife and I would both learn and get the requisite licenses.  HAM and GMRS?

Once I get my self sorted out, I'd like to get my brothers,  sister, and parents set up. It would be great to have a way to comm with them across the state if the lights or cell phones go out. Hurricanes and such.

Teach me the way.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BrowardMason:
Hello ArfHAMS.

So......where do I start?

Tangibly speaking, I'd like to for each of my vehicles to have a portable radio, and one at home, and be able to use them in an emergency.  I have no clue what kind of reach is reasonable (radius from home).

My wife and I would both learn and get the requisite licenses.  HAM and GMRS?

Once I get my self sorted out, I'd like to get my brothers,  sister, and parents set up. It would be great to have a way to comm with them across the state if the lights or cell phones go out. Hurricanes and such.

Teach me the way.
View Quote
Start by reading this, it goes over a lot of the basics and addresses some concerns about ranges and capabilities.  https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Ham_Radio_101/22-604477/?

First word of warning, communicating direct to another operator at "across the state distances" without any sort of supporting infrastructure will require more than a small handheld radio and will not be 100% certain reliable at all times.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking to start studying for the Tech and maybe the General exam.

I’ve read the majority of the HAM 101 thread except for the niche/specialty stuff

Any books I should be getting? Also best current site for studying and tests would be appreciated

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By New2AR15s:
Any books I should be getting?
View Quote
What are your interests in amateur radio?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Passed my General tonight.  I tried Extra even though I hadn't even looked at the questions.  Got 27/50 right so at least I was better than 50%
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
View All Quotes
Any books I should be getting?
Looking to learn as much as I can for the tech exam to get my feet wet and possibly do the General later. My brother and I do camping, hunting trips and General preparedness so having comms beyond cell phones would be nice. The more I can learn and pass along the better so we can get licensed and be at least minimally proficient in what we are doing to use the radios.

I’d prefer not to learn how to use the radio while I’m in a life threatening scenario and actually NEED it
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#22]
You could do worse than buying and reading the ARRL Technician license manual.  It will teach you the basics.  After that, just take some practice tests online until you are comfortable.

Link
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I’d prefer not to learn how to use the radio while I’m in a life threatening scenario and actually NEED it
View Quote
Keep in mind that what is on the test, while not bad info or useless, is not necessarily what you need to know to be a capable radio communicator.

The test proves that you're capable of learning and following some rules. The real learning comes after you get licensed and can get on the air. There's no substitute for on-air experience.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Keep in mind that what is on the test, while not bad info or useless, is not necessarily what you need to know to be a capable radio communicator.

The test proves that you're capable of learning and following some rules. The real learning comes after you get licensed and can get on the air. There's no substitute for on-air experience.
View Quote
That’s what I meant but I may not have been clear. I need to pass the test to get the license to learn what I need to know is more what I should have said
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm at square 1 in starting my journey. I grabbed a couple Baofengs, and played with chirp for a few minutes. Other than security duty use, I have little to no idea what to do next.  I've started reading the Ham Radio 101 thread and I am looking forward to learning more.

My goal besides the obvious SHTF/disaster relief/emergency use, is to use the HTs while camping and while on the Jeep trails with groups. Occasionally at work with cranes, loaders, hi lo operators.

What level of license do I need to accomplish that?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:13:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alemonkey] [#26]
Originally Posted By ZMBHTR:
I'm at square 1 in starting my journey. I grabbed a couple Baofengs, and played with chirp for a few minutes. Other than security duty use, I have little to no idea what to do next.  I've started reading the Ham Radio 101 thread and I am looking forward to learning more.

My goal besides the obvious SHTF/disaster relief/emergency use, is to use the HTs while camping and while on the Jeep trails with groups. Occasionally at work with cranes, loaders, hi lo operators.

What level of license do I need to accomplish that?
View Quote
You'll be fine with Technician.  That will let you make full use of your HT's on 2M or 70cm.  Of course having a higher level license won't hurt....
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for info! Studying starts today. I am finding as much low level info as I can find. I don't want to be confused and have my info out of order, lol.

Registering for Hamexam.org now.

I'll post back with newbie questions!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ZMBHTR:
Thanks for info! Studying starts today. I am finding as much low level info as I can find. I don't want to be confused and have my info out of order, lol.

Registering for Hamexam.org now.

I'll post back with newbie questions!
View Quote
You should buy and read the ARRL Technician manual or something similar in addition to the online cram tools.  That way you actually learn the information.  Some of the questions are arbitrary and need to be memorized, but some of the stuff about operating procedures, bands, modes, basic theory, and RF propagation is information you absolutely need to know.

Link
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Just saw this thread and thought I'd check in.  I got a baofeng uv-5r for Richmond and I'm planning on getting my license.  There is a study/test session locally on 2/15 so I'm going to see if I can cram and pass my tech at least.  My only Radio experience is operating a SINCGARS in the army.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:
Just saw this thread and thought I'd check in.  I got a baofeng uv-5r for Richmond and I'm planning on getting my license.  There is a study/test session locally on 2/15 so I'm going to see if I can cram and pass my tech at least.  My only Radio experience is operating a SINCGARS in the army.
View Quote
A week is plenty of time to get studied up for Technician. Watch the Technician videos here and hit hamstudy.org.  You'll do fine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Mariner82:
A week is plenty of time to get studied up for Technician. Watch the Technician videos here and hit hamstudy.org.  You'll do fine.
View Quote
Watched the videos and used QRZ.COM Passed my Tech today, missed General by 3 questions, but I hadn't studied at all for it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Watched the videos and used QRZ.COM Passed my Tech today, missed General by 3 questions, but I hadn't studied at all for it.
View Quote

Congratulations and welcome in
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

73 and welcome to BRD 2.0.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#34]

73 and welcome to BRD 2.0.
View Quote
Black Radio Disease is real!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Passed my Tech test this past week and have started working on the General exam that I plan to take in three weeks. Maybe I’m just old but some of the General stuff may as well be Chinese to me. My brain’s pathways seem to have become dead end streets. The goal is to earn extra before the end of the year but who knows with my burned out brain cells.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:07:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 556therapy:
Passed my Tech test this past week and have started working on the General exam that I plan to take in three weeks. Maybe I'm just old but some of the General stuff may as well be Chinese to me. My brain's pathways seem to have become dead end streets. The goal is to earn extra before the end of the year but who knows with my burned out brain cells.
View Quote
You can do it.  General is really not much harder than Tech.  Watch the videos.  Do practice tests and study mode on hamstudy.org.  Eventually it'll all click.

Extra is eye crossing at first, but that's starting to come along for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#37]
....General is really not much harder than Tech...

View Quote
That was my experience as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:32:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#38]
I have had my Tech license for over 20 years and have not used it much. I was barely a teenager when I passed it (and it was not my idea to do it). Lets just say, I don't remember much.

I decided to start watching some of the suggested videos to help people pass the test, as my own refresher, even though I do not need to take the test again. My license it's self has been maintained. I only assume my dad has renewed it for me when he renews his own over the years, considering I never knew it could expire until watching the before mentioned videos recently. I even got the new fancy ARFCOM badge thing!

That being said, is there a video someone could suggest to just refresh on the practical side of things..... and less geared towards the goal of just passing the test?

Also, something to help with working the Yaesu FT-270 would be great. All the Youtube videos I looked at did not help much.

I wrote down a couple local repeaters and have been monitoring them the last couple of nights on my days off. However, I work nights and I don't think there is any activity during the late hours I was listening. I can hear the repeater though.

I am beginning to think I should just restudy for the tech license until I can pass the practice exam online, then study for general and go take that test. Then I would catch myself back up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
I have had my Tech license for over 20 years and have not used it much. I was barely a teenager when I passed it (and it was not my idea to do it). Lets just say, I don't remember much.

I decided to start watching some of the suggested videos to help people pass the test, as my own refresher, even though I do not need to take the test again. My license it's self has been maintained. I only assume my dad has renewed it for me when he renews his own over the years, considering I never knew it could expire until watching the before mentioned videos recently. I even got the new fancy ARFCOM badge thing!

That being said, is there a video someone could suggest to just refresh on the practical side of things..... and less geared towards the goal of just passing the test?

Also, something to help with working the Yaesu FT-270 would be great. All the Youtube videos I looked at did not help much.

I wrote down a couple local repeaters and have been monitoring them the last couple of nights on my days off. However, I work nights and I don't think there is any activity during the late hours I was listening. I can hear the repeater though.

I am beginning to think I should just restudy for the tech license until I can pass the practice exam online, then study for general and go take that test. Then I would catch myself back up.
View Quote
Try read the ARRL Technician license manual.  It explains the material pretty well and isn't just teaching to the test.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:31:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riflenoob] [#40]
Thanks to @Ben and the Battle Buddies program I bought a UV5R (planning to buy at least one more this weekend) and getting into amateur radio. I like the progressive list here and it seems the UV5R meets step 3, though I know there are some certification issues.

Attachment Attached File

I am watching this YouTube series by “David Casler” along with the Manual, and even though I am on Chapter 2 I am already passing the app (which cost 4.99) with 26-27 out of 35 for Technician. I don’t plan on only memorizing to the test, as an engineer I find this stuff fascinating and my brother was a ham (electronics tech in the Navy in the early to mid 90s) so I’ve always been slightly curious.

I already have been listening to my county police which are available over by Baofeng (stresses me out sometimes as I really want to know the resolution to some of the dispatches I hear) and I have programmed in local repeaters found on the main listing website. I have heard a few hams talking  to each other - about ham radios and not a whole lot else! I have 18 channels in my programming which I did manually, but really only hear traffic on 3 of them (2 for my county EMS and the local repeater for amateurs) - seems like the other, “city like” areas surrounding me are not using this type of radio now.

I have an unused chimney with a defunct TV antenna right above my office and I am already trying to figure out what I can install up there and drop a cable down to my office for a better setup than Baofeng handheld UV5R once I am licensed, but for right now I am focusing on getting myself and my wife Technician license so we can talk mostly legally notwithstanding the radio type certification on amateur bands.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
1. Not video, but a few years back I did 99 podcast episodes for a 'new ham' that may help? Link

2.  If one can successfully and consistently pass the Tech exam practice tests with 85-90+% then they are ready to pass the real test.  If you can then get to the same point in General study, you're golden!  There is a Great deal of crossover from Tech to Gen!

Welcome to everyone new you won't find a better place on the net related to Ham Radio!
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:27:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riflenoob] [#42]
Anddd I just bought two for UV5R as a 6 pack split with others.

One walkie talkie not very useful in all circumstances :)
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SCWolverine:
1. Not video, but a few years back I did 99 podcast episodes for a 'new ham' that may help? Link

2.  If one can successfully and consistently pass the Tech exam practice tests with 85-90+% then they are ready to pass the real test.  If you can then get to the same point in General study, you're golden!  There is a Great deal of crossover from Tech to Gen!

Welcome to everyone new you won't find a better place on the net related to Ham Radio!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SCWolverine:

I will check that out for sure. Thanks. I am going to look at as much info as possible, but I figure passing my General this year isn't bad goal anyway. I was surprised to see there is no morse code at all now for any of the levels?? I was 12 or 13 when I passed tech, so really I just need to buckle down and get back into the knowledge.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:44:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riflenoob] [#44]
possibly not in the scope of this thread but I did get my FCC approval and call sign for GMRS license last night. Now my wife and I can actually try and use my UV5R and at least have a call sign. Wattage and Part 90 is another story.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:07:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riflenoob] [#45]
Hello,

Is there a best recommend YouTube series to learn the material along with the book, maybe stuff that goes beyond just learning the test?

I am easily able to memorize and pass the test on the App, but I know this doesn’t give me useful skills. I have found several YouTube courses about the material in the book, but I don’t want to invest 8-10 hours of time in one that is worse than another one.

Seems to me contenders are : KB90KB, David Casler, RedWagonTechnology, or “Ham Radio in Action”.

ETA : I am also considering making a 1/4 Wave Ground Plane antenna to mount on my 2nd story roof and run coax to my office to use with my UV5Rs. Then once I have my ticket, I can test the rubber ducky, the Signal Stick, and that antenna on the local repeater.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Riflenoob:
possibly not in the scope of this thread but I did get my FCC approval and call sign for GMRS license last night. Now my wife and I can actually try and use my UV5R and at least have a call sign. Wattage and Part 90 is another story.
View Quote
Wattage? AFAIK GMRS is allowed up to 50 watts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Wattage? AFAIK GMRS is allowed up to 50 watts.
View Quote
Thanks, i since learned more. Looking at the “Cheat Sheet” I didn’t realize that the wattage limitation on here was only for FRS usage.

Attachment Attached File

Also.... ladies and gentlemen I now have comms:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

Hopefully I can get to the test next Saturday, my son has a service project that day but a start time hasn’t been announced yet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#49]
You can do it.  General is really not much harder than Tech.  Watch the videos.  Do practice tests and study mode on hamstudy.org.  Eventually it'll all click.

View Quote
Passed the general exam yesterday. It did click just as you said. Now the conundrum whether to push on to extra now or wait for the new question pool in July.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 7:54:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mariner82] [#50]
Originally Posted By 556therapy:

Passed the general exam yesterday. It did click just as you said. Now the conundrum whether to push on to extra now or wait for the new question pool in July.
View Quote
Congrats!

Follow the same method and you can get Extra before the new pool.  I'm not seeing a lot of difference between the two pools.  My understanding is they got rid of some questions they thought were too easy and some that they thought were outdated/confusing/too hard.

I'm shooting for Extra next Saturday (14th) April 11th.  14th canx because of Kung Flu "threat."
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top