User Panel

Page / 32
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nickmemphis:
property photo snipped
View Quote
You've got room to play.  That's a pretty nice place to grow an antenna farm.  If you post a thread with maybe an overhead view or drawing/measurements of the lot, folks will trip over themselves to help you decide what to put where
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The offset is the freq I should be transmitting on, right? If the repeater is broadcasting at 443.850 mHz, and the offset is +5 mHz, with a PL of 88.5, I should be Txing on 448.850 mHz withg 88.5 mHz ctcss, right?
View Quote
Yes that is correct.

Do you hear any response from the repeater after you transmit? Generally you will hear a "courtesy tone" of some kind and the tail time of the repeater immediately after you unkey. If you get nothing, you are probably not accessing the repeater... either your signal is not strong enough for the repeater to hear it, or the CTCSS tone is not correct.

One thing to be aware of is that amateur repeaters vary in how they handle output CTCSS tones. Some repeaters transmit a tone all the time, some transmit a tone only while there is an active input signal, and many do not transmit a CTCSS tone at all. If you program your user radio to require CTCSS on your receive, and the repeater does not transmit a tone, you will not hear anything although you might have an RX light or some other indicator of received signal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna need to read through this later.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 12:38:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nickmemphis] [#4]
Originally Posted By Beefington:

Hi Funner, after you read through the thread I think you might have a better idea of what equipment you think you might want.  Once you narrow it down a bit it'll be a lot easier for the folks here to help you decide on specific gear.  Welcome to the hobby!

Seems to me "offset" is a ham radio specific term.  The commercial radios I've played with have had the input/output frequencies listed individually in the programming software.  Bolded part is entirely possible.  Keep trying, and try different repeaters, too.

That is correct, though some people prefer think of it in terms of repeater input/output frequencies.  Meaning the input frequency is where the repeater is listening (which is your transmit freq i.e. 448.85MHz) and the output being the frequency the repeater is transmitting on, and where your radio is listening (i.e. 443.85MHz).  You've got the CTCSS part figured out as well.  I'd like to welcome you to the hobby, too!

Small side note, "broadcasting" in radio terms is not what hams do.  Broadcasting is a "one-way conversation," so to speak.  Transmitting with no expectation of a response.  What we do with two-way radio is transmitting and receiving.  The difference might seem subtle, but broadcasting on ham frequencies is specifically illegal in most circumstances.
View Quote
Right. Good point. I was thinking the repeater is sort of "broadcasting, since it's linked to a whole netwrork that reaches all the way to west TX and NW KS.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 1:02:26 AM EDT
[#5]
"Broadcasting" is a term meaning one-way transmission. With very specific exceptions, broadcasting is not allowed in the amateur service.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#6]
So I read the manual of menu again.
You have to turn the offset on and choose + or -, after setting the freq.
It works now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent!  Once you get the hang of the offsets and CTCSS/PL/tones, you're over the hump as far as knowledge you need for basic VHF/UHF FM operations.  One thing I'd suggest though, is to get familiar with simplex operations, including which bands have which range, and how it is affected by vegetation and terrain, etc.  Repeater ops are useful, but if the grid goes down, most repeaters won't be on the air for very long.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 10:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ejeviking] [#8]
My lil bro and I took our tests today. He passed the Tech and I passed the tech AND General!

1) your background, if i may ask? Pizza maker, Marine, now sales for the company I've worked for 20 years.
2) how often/much did you study? 3 weeks hard nose in the books, more off than on for the last year
3) distance traveled to the exam site? 24 miles
4) type of exam site? (library, school, civic center, etc) Church
5) total time it took you to complete both exams? in and out in an hour/roughly 15 min for the tech 20 for the general
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? 18 months, just got serious in the last 3 months.

Guys giving the test were great. There was one other guy there taking his Extra. Sounds like they got a decent club going with about 20 members ranging from Senior in HS to these long retired gentlemen. So here we are. We'll see how close the 'ole boys were to guessing our call signs....

Thanks all for helping and adding to all these threads. Damn fine bunch of hoodlums!

edit for clarity
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe we can get the Goat to get us little Radio Tower icons.

Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm signed up for a Technician Hamcram next month and the General in August.
I have an ICom ID-51 Plus 2 and a Baofeng BF-8HP
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Beefington:
Seems to me "offset" is a ham radio specific term.  The commercial radios I've played with have had the input/output frequencies listed individually in the programming software.
View Quote
When the Amateur service set up their bandplan, they used a standardized offset between TX and RX frequencies for repeaters. It varies by band, but within the band they are standardized. Two meters for example are 600kHz, either plus or minus depending on where you are. Seventy cm are 5MHz, etc.

In the Land Mobile world, on VHF there is no standardization, repeater transmit and receive frequencies are just plucked from the list however the coordination works out. This is not an unusual situation worldwide apparently, so LMR type radios tend to just have independently programmable TX and RX frequencies in their programming software.

When LMR got around to higher frequency bands, UHF and later 800MHz, they did get their act together and use a standardized repeater offset within those bands.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:23:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Just signed the boyfriend and myself up for a class/review on the 21st.  That's plenty of time for complete newbies to read/review a book or two and be able to pass the exam that day.  Right?

Have Gordo's book on the way, as that's what seemed to be recommended.  
Seeing lots of other options to use for resources, will be checking into them.

Thankfully my Dad has been a HAM for as long as I can recall, so have him as a resource.  
Starting to look at what equipment to get.   This thread was my first stop on the forum, so will read and ask questions as appropriate.

I appreciate moral support and also reality checks, if I'm jumping in too fast.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Lizzard:
Just signed the boyfriend and myself up for a class/review on the 21st.  That's plenty of time for complete newbies to read/review a book or two and be able to pass the exam that day.  Right?

Thankfully my Dad has been a HAM for as long as I can recall, so have him as a resource.  
Starting to look at what equipment to get.   This thread was my first stop on the forum, so will read and ask questions as appropriate.

Thanks!
View Quote
It only took me a couple of weeks of study to ace tech on the first try.  Study every day ( I used QRZ and an iphone app), you’ll do fine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Thanks!
View Quote
While waiting for the class I recommend:

1. review the ham radio 101 post here under stickies.

2. then start trying the hamexam.org practice tests.

3. Find out the right answers for the ones you get wrong.
    KB6NU free tech study guide

Link Posted: 7/4/2018 3:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lizzard] [#16]
Originally Posted By GrinningWolf:

While waiting for the class I recommend:

1. review the ham radio 101 post here under stickies.

2. then start trying the hamexam.org practice tests.

3. Find out the right answers for the ones you get wrong.
    KB6NU free tech study guide

View Quote
Edit because my tablet dumped my reply in its refresh to actually post my reply.  Argh.

Anyhow,  thanks for the suggestions and support.  The boyfriend found a YouTube video based on the KB6NU study guide.   Another way to get the info into my head.

Just got a passing score on a practice exam.  Any reason not to start adding info for the general license exam too?
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I used HamStudy.org last fall.

After a week or two of studying for the Technician exam, I started studying for the General.  They are very similar.  I took both tests the same night and passed.

Then I started studying for the Extra figuring that I was already in study mode.  It is significantly harder and very different from the other two.  I took that test a month or so after the first two.  Passed with the lowest score allowed but I passed.  Not sure I will ever use it.

Still haven't transmitted yet.  I just listen to local repeaters once in a while.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Edit because my tablet dumped my reply in its refresh to actually post my reply.  Argh.

Anyhow,  thanks for the suggestions and support.  The boyfriend found a YouTube video based on the KB6NU study guide.   Another way to get the info into my head.

Just got a passing score on a practice exam.  Any reason not to start adding info for the general license exam too?
View Quote
Good start, congrats.  Keep getting consistent passing scores on several tech practice, the questions should keep changing.  
If fact there used to be a setting that would bias questions towards the section(s) you missing questions most often.
Then switch to general practice exams but keep mixing in tech practice exams.

As rafl383 noticed, Extra is a very different test.  
Lots more theory questions on how radios work, questions about the non-mainstream areas of ham radio fun like EME, meteor scatter.  
MUCH more math.  At least that was my experience on the previous version.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
Nope, Tech + General is very doable as they are similar.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Wish me luck.  Today's the day.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Wish me luck.  Today's the day.
View Quote
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Just passed my tech license last Saturday and waiting to show up in the FCC ULS. I have a chicom handheld and still understand fuck all about how this whole thing works. I think I know what a repeater does.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Felt like the administration of the exam was horribly disorganized.  Had people talking all through my general exam.

Passed the tech handily.  Passed the general by the skin of my teeth.

Now to wait for it to process and get my call sign.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#24]
congrats y'all!  
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Congratulations

Now the real learning begins
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:56:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nickmemphis] [#26]
I want a 5W handheld airband AM transceiver for about 100$. Is it unicorn poop?

VHF/UHF, Tx power ~5W, and scannage is gravy. Mainly i want to be be able to hit civ and mil guard in an emergency, so any suggestions are encouraged.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I want a 5W handheld airband AM transceiver for about 100$. Is it unicorn poop?

VHF/UHF, Tx power ~5W, and scannage is gravy. Mainly i want to be be able to hit civ and mil guard in an emergency, so any suggestions are encouraged.
View Quote
$100 is not happening. Basic airband communications handheld can be had for about $200 though, either Icom or Yaesu.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Been hearing about ham for years, and finally decided to take the plunge.  Possibly HF down the road, but mainly for local emergencies and simplex while running around the mountains.  Am making my way through the stickies and got the ARRL tech manual this week, but I have to say I'm a bit baffled when people say they can pass the test on a few days' study.  I've spent the last 4 days just trying to get my head around the circuitry and components chapter, and haven't even put a dent in the rest of the material.

So this might take longer than anticipated.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sirensong:
Been hearing about ham for years, and finally decided to take the plunge.  Possibly HF down the road, but mainly for local emergencies and simplex while running around the mountains.  Am making my way through the stickies and got the ARRL tech manual this week, but I have to say I'm a bit baffled when people say they can pass the test on a few days' study.  I've spent the last 4 days just trying to get my head around the circuitry and components chapter, and haven't even put a dent in the rest of the material.

View Quote
Nah, you got this. Skim over all the material, take a practice exam that analyzes the areas you need to improve on and go back to the book and study that area a little more in depth.

Don't hesitate to ask specific questions here.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By elcope:
Nah, you got this. Skim over all the material, take a practice exam that analyzes the areas you need to improve on and go back to the book and study that area a little more in depth.

Don't hesitate to ask specific questions here.
View Quote
Thanks!  I've never been a big fan of studying to the test, but there's so much material here that a guy could get lost in it before ever being really 'ready.'
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
I passed it in less than two weeks of "study" by taking practice tests on sites like QRZ.com.  I didn't worry about perfecting my knowledge of circuitry and electrical theory.  I memorized the tests and passed, and have since been working on nailing down the specifics.

I have bought several tech manuals, antenna manuals and it has been a great benefit to my learning to read about something in the book, and then immediately put it into practice by doing it with my radios.  I have learned much more doing it that way, than trying to study dry manuals.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:50:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tango_6] [#32]
I am interested in the hand-holding, I have a hand held for now and I have a tech license, but don't know what I am doing.  I am also interested in upgrading to General and Extra.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:33:22 AM EDT
[#33]
testing on sunday.  bunch of stuff came up and killed my study pattern, so now i'm cramming to make up for lost time.

been scanning, but still have yet to hear a human voice on 2m or 70cm.  just occasional packet stuff.  i'm now leaning on my brother to test so that i actually have someone to talk to.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#34]
testing on sunday.  bunch of stuff came up and killed my study pattern, so now i'm cramming to make up for lost time.

been scanning, but still have yet to hear a human voice on 2m or 70cm.  just occasional packet stuff.  i'm now leaning on my brother to test so that i actually have someone to talk to.  
View Quote
Download the RepeaterBook app.  You can look up nearby repeaters and program them into your radio.  You will hear more stuff.

You can also look up radio frequencies for the local fire department and see if you can program that too.  A little entertaining.

If you are studying for Tech, try looking at the General test too.  Very similar.

If you pass the Tech test, they usually offer you the choice of taking General too for no extra cost.

Good luck on the test.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#35]
I was a radio operator in the USMC, took some electronic classes in the past as well so a lot of the studying so far has been more of a refresher. Already have a couple of baufeng handhelds I have programmed with local repeater freqs and have been listening to the chatter locally.
Located the nearby ham club website and read about the next test in december.

Found an online study guide I have been looking over when I have spare time.

Guess I just need a reminder kick in the ass from time to time to keep me motivated.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By raffi383:

Download the RepeaterBook app.  You can look up nearby repeaters and program them into your radio.  You will hear more stuff.

You can also look up radio frequencies for the local fire department and see if you can program that too.  A little entertaining.

If you are studying for Tech, try looking at the General test too.  Very similar.

If you pass the Tech test, they usually offer you the choice of taking General too for no extra cost.

Good luck on the test.
View Quote
thanks!  i've been scanning the denton county repeaters, but never hear any voice.  as for tech vs general, i'm scoring 80s and 90s on all my practice tests for tech, but every general practice test has been substantially harder.  a lot more theory and calculation.  i'm going to give it a shot anyway to see if i get lucky, but i'm getting comfortable with the idea that i may just be a tech for a while.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#37]
Add me to the list of butt's to kick for testing.

I have a Chinese junk radio coming today.  

Here's what I've done so far.  I downloaded the Technician study guide posted in one of the threads.  I read through the study guide and started taking the quizzes on eHam.  So far my lowest score was an ~80% on Technician.  I was going to try and sit for the Tech license next Saturday but my daughter has an event at the same time.  The next test is 11/15.  I'm going to start looking through the General guide and prepping to get both done in one pass.

It seems like it's mostly common sense.  So far the hardest part seems to be learning some of the strict rules like "219-220Mhz is reserved for fixed digital messaging".

Can someone explain this to me from the study guide...I don't really understand what it's telling me.  It's one question that I can learn from memory but I don't got why the "x" is important?  Is this some kind of really coveted call sign so you can say "xylophone" a lot?

ETA:  Nvm...I got it once I wrote it down versus reading it.  The "x" refers to the number of characters in the call sign not the actual letter in the call sign.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I am in central WI. I am looking for a face to face instruction. I also have a bit of short term memory loss due to my military past. Will it be a huge obstacle to getting my license?

Thanks
V
OUT
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By variable:
I am in central WI. I am looking for a face to face instruction. I also have a bit of short term memory loss due to my military past. Will it be a huge obstacle to getting my license?

Thanks
V
OUT
View Quote
You can try looking here to see if there is a local club that can help with the face to face instruction: http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club.

I used the HamStudy.org app.  It goes through all of the questions that are on the test.  You can study as long as you want and take a practice test whenever you want.  It should answer your memory question.  Maybe study a few days, take a test, and then wait a few days and take another test.  See how much your score changes.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#40]
just got back from the tech test.  it was as easy as you guys said it would be, which was fortunate because i haven't done much study for the last couple of weeks.  was no reason not to try general also, but i didn't bother.  can't afford HF for a while anyway.

time to start programming channels while i wait for my callsign.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#41]
just got back from the tech test.  it was as easy as you guys said it would be, which was fortunate because i haven't done much study for the last couple of weeks.  was no reason not to try general also, but i didn't bother.  can't afford HF for a while anyway.

time to start programming channels while i wait for my callsign.
View Quote
Congratulations.

The only reason I took the General test was because it was free after passing the Tech.  I had studied for it and figured why not.

Then, I decided to keep studying and took the Extra a month or so later.

All I have is a UHF/VHF HT.  I haven't even talked on it yet.  Just listened.

For programming, I eventually bought the software and cable.  It makes programming so much easier and nicer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I passed my Tech and General Amateur Radio tests today. Feels good. Gotta buy an arfcom Ham patch now. I failed the Extra (roughly 50%), but never looked at the material, so I did good overall.

Thanks for all the help I have got from this site!
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#43]
A friend cit me a link to your post, i offer live interactive training classes for getting Technician Class Licensing.  It is a 2 day class total of 10 hours. Everything is free, we give our students everything need to be successful we don't charge for any of it. WE even have drawings for people who complete the class. Check out our Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/HamClassOnline/
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Itgunner:
A friend cit me a link to your post, i offer live interactive training classes for getting Technician Class Licensing.  It is a 2 day class total of 10 hours. Everything is free, we give our students everything need to be successful we don't charge for any of it. WE even have drawings for people who complete the class. Check out our Facebook page.
View Quote
Can a person enter the drawing without taking the class?  I need a minion with a Tech license.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I passed the Tech and Gen exams Saturday.  I used Hamstudy and really liked it.  I used all 3 study methods and started the practice tests after working once thru all the questions on the flash cards.   I joined a local club last month and they told me I could take the Gen right after passing the Tech so I started studying for it.  I had 1.5 weeks to study for the Gen and as others have said there are a fair number of common questions.  I'll likely start studying for the Extra exam but a book may be better study aide for me at that level.  I scored 46% on a practice test and I guessed on most of the answers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm diving in.  Studying for the General test at the end of the month.

Local club and examiners have not replied to confirm the test date.  I hope that they are there.  It's an hour away.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been studying and taking practice exams.  Test was today.  I took the tech and general together and passed both.  Yay!

There were six of us taking tests.  One Tech to General, one General to Extra, and 4 Tech and General combo's (both tests, like me).  The VE's were all pleased that the scores were high.

This has been on the bucket list for some time.  Now is as good of a time as any.  I've been working on it all month.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I enrolled myself and my kids in a Technician class over the past two Saturdays.  We passed the exam.

Just waiting for the FCC to issue our call signs, which may take a while with the shutdown.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:01:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CombatTruckMonkey] [#49]
Woo hoo! Got my email yesterday from the FFC with my license registration! I took the test on 18 January.

what is your technical background, if any, if i may ask? Military (Truck driver, but I have done enough in operations roles that I used radios quite a bit).
how long did it take from the time you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your license assigned? Two weeks (I found out they had a test at the Army post I work on, so I decided to fo).
how many hours would you say you spent reviewing material and taking practice exams? About 1-2 hours a day, using hamtestonline.com. I liked the format of study questions, and being able to study on my phone.
how long did you spend in the actual exam session? about 20 minutes for the actual exam
at any time were you subject any weird cult-like rituals which caused you to blade at 45 degrees? Not yet, but I'm hoping.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 3:05:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rleonard] [#50]
Took the Tech and General test on 1/27.  License arrived today.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top