Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2018 2:33:06 PM EDT
When the motor moves to tune the tarheel screwdriver antenna, does the outside height change or is all the movement internal and the outside dimension of the antenna does not change.

If it does not change size, can someone post the dimension from the base to the bottom of the whip.

If it does move can someone post the dimension from the base to where the whip screws in at the minimum size and the mazximum size.

Thanks.

I did a new install in my truck with a Wold River Manual Coil and want to see if a baby tarheel will fit.

I mounted the coil in my bed to the toyota rail system, grounded it to the bed with a short wire, attached a wire where the whip is supposed to attach, ran that wire through a hole in the fiberglass  where I took a bolt out for the rack and attached that wire to a mount that holds the whip on the top of the rack. I took out the shield / Conductor insulator so that the whole mount is part of the radiator / whip.

It seems to work well. I great great resonance on 80, 40, and 20 meter bands with resonance impedance from 54 to 74 ohms depending on the band with no reactance.

This seems to work very well and the manual screwdriver is out of the weather.

I want to know if I can mount a tarheel or a ATA-120A in the same way. If the tarheel gets taller and shorter i probably cant do this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are pics of the install.

yes I know I need to wash my truck. It's a truck.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a Tarheel but I have several other mobile "screwdriver" antennas including the ATAS-120

When you go lower in frequency, the length of the whole thing gets bigger. It extends.

That is where the term: "screwdriver" comes from. You have a motor in the antenna that moves that outer section up and down on the coil The first guys that did this, used an electric screwdriver for the motor.

If you pay close attention; you can see this here:
HamRadioNow Episode 2, Part 11 - TarHeel Antenna Maintenance

If you measure the length of that clear outer cover, that is APPROX how much longer it gets from the highest frequency it tunes, to the lowest frequency it tunes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have a Tarheel but I have several other mobile "screwdriver" antennas including the ATAS-120

When you go lower in frequency, the length of the whole thing gets bigger. It extends.

That is where the term: "screwdriver" comes from. You have a motor in the antenna that moves that outer section up and down on the coil The first guys that did this, used an electric screwdriver for the motor.

If you pay close attention; you can see this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBH8JVqD3Hs

If you measure the length of that clear outer cover, that is APPROX how much longer it gets from the highest frequency it tunes, to the lowest frequency it tunes.
View Quote
thanks

i figured it probably did change size
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
mine is a TARHEEL II

it gets longer as you go lower in frequency

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#5]
If I'm picking up what your trying to lay down with your mobile setup I would pick up a sgc or icom antenna coupler.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I'm picking up what your trying to lay down with your mobile setup I would pick up a sgc or icom antenna coupler.
View Quote
My tarheel works much better than my icom AH-4 did
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My tarheel works much better than my icom AH-4 did
View Quote
Yeah but your tarheel isn't under a camper shell.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
how much RF attenuation do you think the fiberglass has ?

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am guessing about the same as the lexan cover on the coil
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Touche. There us metal around the windows and on the roof but that wasn't in the consideration for my previous comment
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
OP... a dummy load has great SWR and is not all that good as an practical antenna, so how well does this setup actually work for you?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Touche. There us metal around the windows and on the roof but that wasn't in the consideration for my previous comment
View Quote
good point  LOL

My TARHEEL II is 19" - 26" from the base of the antenna to the start of the whip.

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP... a dummy load has great SWR and is not all that good as an practical antenna, so how well does this setup actually work for you?
View Quote
If it were just fiberglass, without metal window frames, and cargo racks, it would work pretty well, I think.

Look at how many antennas are fiberglass

It still might work really well.

that RF's gotta go somewhere
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
that is what I dont know yet.

using the wolf coil and the whip that I already had is a proof of concept before I buy a tarheel.

i had about an hr yesterday and the conditions sucked. So I still have to figure that out. The coil does resonate  well on different bands. it has been my exoerience that coupling to metal will interfere with that, So I am hopefull this will work, but I dont know yet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it were just fiberglass, without metal window frames, and cargo racks, it would work pretty well, I think.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it might or it might not

the bandwdth on 20m is the whole band.

from 14.0 to 14.35  it resonates with zero reactance and from 54 to 75 resistive ohms  from low band to high band

so it may very well be a dummy load

or

the metal of the window, the rack on the roof and the cross bar might be acting as a capacity hat increasing the bandwith. 40 and 80 has a much smaller bandwidth without moving the coil.( after moving it for the bamd)

It all depends on if anybody can hear me. I should have time tomorrow to check that out

a lot of installations have the mast and the coil well below the metal and close to the cab or on a hitch, below and close to the metal of the tailgate and they work so this might too
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#16]
It looks like it works, fairly well.

It is hard to make a quantitative assessment without a field strength meter or antenna current meter ( had one of those MFJ ones but it was inop so i returned it for a refund)

But I did make a QSO underway into Eastern EU with a 57 report on 20m, but I have done that with a hamstick too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top