Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/16/2020 8:58:43 PM EDT
We currently live in our bug out location and are planning on bugging out of there soon.
It's the perfect 40 acres with 1/4mile drive, house back in the woods, rolling hills, lots of timber, and some ag land. But...it's int the nook between Milwaukee and Chicago. and near Kenosha
Plus I have to commute to Milwaukee for work often now and hate it so much.

plan A We did a recon trip to Montana with the plan of selling everything and just moving out there (taking my parents and in-laws with too). But Everyone else has that idea too and the properties are sky high now (and I still possibly need / want to work) so had to be semi rural but close to a town. Jobs no luck finding anything. I love it out west (used to live in Oregon but have NFA stuff now).

Plan B. Buy house 3+ hours from crap hole milwaukee/chicago is and slowly move everything. It would be a "cabin" that we would all move to soon. The wife and I make great money now but I would be happy working at a farm store or something once we move. Wife works remote but I do not that much. If we don't go out west money would not be that big of a concern as it goes further in rural Wisconsin and we could have larger reserves. I can get 100 acres with a house for what I could get 10 in Montana. We think our land will surrounded by subdivisions in short time. There is a field across from us that has great views that we know will be a high end subdivision soon than later. everything is being built up by us now

Plan C just stay and embrace the suck and move later.
we are located in the walworth/ racine, kenosha nook. That large (blue on map) population density of Chicago/ Milwaukee is closing in fast.

Way North is looking good

Cliff notes:
Stay in great property in high population density or move to real low population density country and live simple life.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
People =danger and competition for resources. The more people the more dangerous the situation. I believe whoever is President our country is going to go through a really rough patch.
By the grace of God I made it back west and into an amazing situation before the music stopped.
I would GTFO if it were me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
it depends on what the most important things to you are. I wanted to be away from everyone. BUT I have a job that only works in a few cities in the US. I have young children and I want them to have opportunity to grow, learn, and experience things like museums and different cultures. I'm not willing to commute more than 30 minutes since it would make me miss much of my young kids' lives.

So for that, We are in the suburbs of Atlanta. Set back and about an hour from the city proper, but still. The remote chance of needing to make my house the alamo wasn't worth giving up the other things that were/are important to us. I also make probably 3x the money I would working rural, which allows us to do things we couldn't do otherwise.

I do plan on getting a remote plot of land and a cabin within 2 hours of here, but that's easier said than done right now. When the kids are a bit older we will.

Personally I think your decision boils down a lot more than bugging in/out and you need to build a life around your choices.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Live as far away from large population densities as you can afford and your situation (job, family, etc) allows.  The internet makes living in the boonies pretty easy if you want to stay connected with people; cities are overated durring good times and dangerous durring bad.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
2nd post nailed it... you have to find balance...

Super rural communities are close-knit, if your ancestors weren't born there you will always be an outsider. You really need to balance how rural you go or you will be on your own...

My vote is to look for a place where locals are accustomed to outsiders and embrace them... find a town around 20,000 with industry that draws some outsiders in so you can blend in, then find a rural, secluded property about 15 minutes outside town.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Why are you just looking at Montana?  Lots of cheaper areas in WY and ID with similar topography to MT.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for great replies!

Think we are looking for 15 or so minutes from a small town and no more than an hour from big town.

I think our problem is the hustle and bustle of being between Milwaukee and Chicago.
Housing is being built everywhere.
We are currently 10 minutes from small towns and sadly less than an hour from kenosha. Crime has really surged in kenosha and Milwaukee. This year on my commute the interstate gets shut down regularly due to shootings. Very common now.

I could hold out here a bit longer but my commute at times is like road warrior.

We drove north a few hours past Milwaukee and it was like another world. Slow paced but Walmart’s and normal things in the areas. Just less people and more open space.

I did look at Wyoming too and the lack of jobs was a negative. High housing and huge pay reduction. Montana was worse due to much higher property prices.

We also have to be at least 30 minutes from some form of hospital for the parents.

Wife and I are home bodies. We have trails on our property, our goats, bees, chickens, and more. I could never leave my property and be happy.

I’m only 45 so may have work a bit longer

Have a great job now, but stressful, long hours and commute.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Plan B.

Uncle Remus said "stay away from crowds".....
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Get out of where you are.

Get the crack out of a blue state.

For WY look at the Casper area.

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, sounds like you need to add a BOL farther out and in addition to where you are now.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:22:12 AM EDT
[#11]
OP -

The title of your post caught my eye and I would refer you to the book "Strategic Relocation" by Joel M. Skousen.  I have the third edition and there may be another one out since I bought this one.  You can find it on Amazon.

It is divided state by state and outlines demographics, income, population, political leanings, gun laws, climate, rainfall, and a whole host of other information and impressions of the author.

It may not answer your question of "how far out", but it will definitely help with your "where to"?  I highly recommend it.

YMMV
The_MULE
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get out of where you are.
Get the crack out of a blue state.
For WY look at the Casper area.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm with 'Get The F. Out.'

We're in a Red State but it has a goodly number of Dem-run Blue cities. Think: high-taxes, high-crime, neutered P.Ds.

We relocated to a rural/low-population area. Nice house on a wooded, 4-acre parcel that sits on a ridge above a major river. There's a long winding driveway coming in from the road. Very defensible from the house.  Modern security system ... and a dog.

While it's not as remote as, say, Life Below Zero/'AK-remote,' the neighbors around us are appear to be hard-working, conservative-types and most of the land that's not abutting the river is active farm land.  A bit of a drive to reach a medical facility,  but not horrible.

I'd rather be here than where either of us lived previously, and now I worry less about her personal safety if I don't happen to be home.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Contrarian indicator. How is your health/age. If you need a emergency room a good hospital can be quite far/ require a helicopter.  I am rural but not completely isolated.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:09:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Montana and Wyoming has tons of nuclear targets as well. Harsh winters, shorter growing seasons, etc.
View Quote

WWIII would complicate surviving.  There are some surprising targets out there, and there aren't a ton of places that would be free of fallout, depending on winds.  Aside from that, the near-complete obliteration of infrastructure in major cities would make surviving, difficult, unless you are already self-sufficient...honestly, probably not the most pressing concern to be realistic in living a decently prepared life.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#16]
You know you need to move.  Otherwise you wouldn't be talking and planning and thinking about it.   Now you're just discussing when.   And let's be honest you should have moved 6 months ago.  It's better to be early than late.  

There is no perfect place, but you know that your place isn't going to work going forward.  A lot of us are/have been in this boat this year.  The world has changed this year, decades happen in weeks.   IT'S TIME TO GO.

so get gone.

You simply can't plan decades out in an environment like this, so create some space so you have time.   Fuck the job, the job will work out.  No one gives a fuck about their job when TSHTF or things go massive sideways.  

get gone
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP -

The title of your post caught my eye and I would refer you to the book "Strategic Relocation" by Joel M. Skousen.  I have the third edition and there may be another one out since I bought this one.  You can find it on Amazon.

It is divided state by state and outlines demographics, income, population, political leanings, gun laws, climate, rainfall, and a whole host of other information and impressions of the author.

It may not answer your question of "how far out", but it will definitely help with your "where to"?  I highly recommend it.

YMMV
The_MULE
View Quote

have the newest edition. Rural WI was not rated too bad. I'm just a bit close to a high crime city and a major hwy.

Quoted:
Contrarian indicator. How is your health/age. If you need a emergency room a good hospital can be quite far/ require a helicopter.  I am rural but not completely isolated.
View Quote

Mid 40's and never missed work in years except this year (two weeks off for getting covid)

Right now we are still looking for property but not really going to just jump at any property. We have excepted that we may be stuck right here.
good things are close family, 40 acres, great neighbors (that prep), and everything for a good ways north and west  of me is all rural.
properties are getting a bit crazy in my area and they are still building more homes and subdivisions.

Quoted:
You know you need to move.  Otherwise you wouldn't be talking and planning and thinking about it.   Now you're just discussing when.   And let's be honest you should have moved 6 months ago.  It's better to be early than late.  

There is no perfect place, but you know that your place isn't going to work going forward.  A lot of us are/have been in this boat this year.  The world has changed this year, decades happen in weeks.   IT'S TIME TO GO.

so get gone.

You simply can't plan decades out in an environment like this, so create some space so you have time.   Fuck the job, the job will work out.  No one gives a fuck about their job when TSHTF or things go massive sideways.  

get gone
View Quote

this is so true. I have been an essential worker this whole year and now have grey hair that I did not last year. Coworkers looked like they aged a decade (Probably me too)

the stress is so high.

as to screwing the job, I have taxes, bills, and have to go to work until I can't. It's been the most stressful thing ever. I probably could retire comfy in 5 years. Just not yet, but I have been doing everything to shorten that up to a year.

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

this is so true. I have been an essential worker this whole year and now have grey hair that I did not last year. Coworkers looked like they aged a decade (Probably me too)

the stress is so high.

as to screwing the job, I have taxes, bills, and have to go to work until I can't. It's been the most stressful thing ever. I probably could retire comfy in 5 years. Just not yet, but I have been doing everything to shorten that up to a year.

View Quote

by then it will be too late.  You may not be able to find your exact job, but if the economy is still running, there will be jobs.  downsize some, downscale, have fewer bills.  You don't NEED to make 100k a year, you WANT to make 100k a year (or whatever).

A year ago, i think most people could give you a reasonable guess as to what 1 year from now, 5 years from now, etc would be like.  Today?  fuck, who knows?  and anyone being honest would admit this.   Do you want to be the jew in 1939 germany who should have left in 1938 but worried about his business?  or the Russian who stayed in 1925 cuz it was getting better?   Or is it going to go back to normal?  who the fuck knows.  but again, ti's better to be early than late.  

Look around your AO and ask yourself if this is really the same place you built in however many years ago?  and if you were looking now, would you buy this place?  If the answer is no, then you have your answer.  

I guess what I"m trying to poorly say is that the world of today is NOT the world of last year, and the world you (and I) grew up and made plans in.   That world view has to be tossed.   You have to make a new world view that reflects reality as it is and not as you want it to be or as it used to be.   Do that and then make your decision.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
have the newest edition. Rural WI was not rated too bad. I'm just a bit close to a high crime city and a major hwy.

Mid 40's and never missed work in years except this year (two weeks off for getting covid)
Right now we are still looking for property but not really going to just jump at any property. We have excepted that we may be stuck right here.
good things are close family, 40 acres, great neighbors (that prep), and everything for a good ways north and west  of me is all rural.
properties are getting a bit crazy in my area and they are still building more homes and subdivisions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is divided state by state and outlines demographics, income, population, political leanings, gun laws, climate, rainfall, and a whole host of other information and impressions of the author. It may not answer your question of "how far out", but it will definitely help with your "where to"?  I highly recommend it.

YMMV
The_MULE
Quoted:

Quoted:
You know you need to move.  Otherwise you wouldn't be talking and planning and thinking about it.   Now you're just discussing when.   And let's be honest you should have moved 6 months ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Strategic-Relocation-American-Places-Fourth/dp/1735015407

The 4th Edition of Skousen's book is out (1/1/2020), see the link above.  

Problem is, ...  I'm not sure a lot of his info isn't already out-of-date due to the rapidity of the various political, economic, and social events which have occurred this year, not even including the fall-out from the Corvid pandemic lockdowns that occurred after the 4th Ed. was published. Most of those still have not played out as the second phase of lockdowns is only beginning now ...

There's also the uncertainty of the political dynamics over the next 4-yrs due to the still-undecided Senate races in Georgia. ... The outcomes there will dictate the policy tenor of a Biden administration  - either moderate or fairly radical  - depending on who controls the Senate.

We've already relocated, and still feel good about our area, but we're also not inclined to move again.  We'll deal with the inevitable 'changing-circumstances on the ground' as they occur, as best we can.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is a FYI.

Talking with some friends over the weekend they told us of the new real estate reality here in the CDA/North Idaho area.

Realtors are listing properties at $X. They lowball it. It sounds to good to be true. For the sake of discussion let’s say $250k. But the seller REALLY wants $400k.
Some family from California or CT or IL sees this place on line for $250k and calls the listing agent who says; oh, that property now has an offer of $350k on it....would you like to make a higher offer?  
Basically the buyer just sits on their property until it reaches whatever price they really want for it. With the huge numbers of people fleeing communist states it’s working. They call it “progressive marketing” or some crap.
Sounds unethical as hell to me but most realtors I’ve known are the sleaziest people On the planet.
Waiting lists for new home construction are 2 years out. The number of people/families living in RV’s-Semi permanently living in RV’s-up here on someone’s property is astounding!
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
it depends on what the most important things to you are. I wanted to be away from everyone. BUT I have a job that only works in a few cities in the US. I have young children and I want them to have opportunity to grow, learn, and experience things like museums and different cultures. I'm not willing to commute more than 30 minutes since it would make me miss much of my young kids' lives.

So for that, We are in the suburbs of Atlanta. Set back and about an hour from the city proper, but still. The remote chance of needing to make my house the alamo wasn't worth giving up the other things that were/are important to us. I also make probably 3x the money I would working rural, which allows us to do things we couldn't do otherwise.

I do plan on getting a remote plot of land and a cabin within 2 hours of here, but that's easier said than done right now. When the kids are a bit older we will.

Personally I think your decision boils down a lot more than bugging in/out and you need to build a life around your choices.
View Quote

Something to think about OP/\.  Don't get caught up in TEOTWAWKI type prepper thinking and forget real life.  -Been there done that.  Quality of life for you and the people you love is as important as prepping for the end of life as we know it.  A good balance is key.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here is a FYI.

Talking with some friends over the weekend they told us of the new real estate reality here in the CDA/North Idaho area.

Realtors are listing properties at $X. They lowball it. It sounds to good to be true. For the sake of discussion let’s say $250k. But the seller REALLY wants $400k.
Some family from California or CT or IL sees this place on line for $250k and calls the listing agent who says; oh, that property now has an offer of $350k on it....would you like to make a higher offer?  
Basically the buyer just sits on their property until it reaches whatever price they really want for it. With the huge numbers of people fleeing communist states it’s working. They call it “progressive marketing” or some crap.
Sounds unethical as hell to me but most realtors I’ve known are the sleaziest people On the planet.
Waiting lists for new home construction are 2 years out. The number of people/families living in RV’s-Semi permanently living in RV’s-up here on someone’s property is astounding!
View Quote

This is happening here in Northern NY (as in just south of Canada) right now.  It is 150% a sellers market right now people from long island/ NYC/ NJ/ etc paying cash for anything they can get in rural/ vacation home northern NY.  If you sell here you better already have a new place lined up, or be prepared to wait for a few years.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Something to think about OP/\.  Don't get caught up in TEOTWAWKI type prepper thinking and forget real life.  -Been there done that.  Quality of life for you and the people you love is as important as prepping for the end of life as we know it.  A good balance is key.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I try to tell myself that. Land prices out west are really crazy right now so for the time being gave up on that. Rural Wisconsin is still pretty normal prices with my area getting higher due to lots of jobs and proximity to two big cities. I had that happen with some properties in Montana. called to talk to realtor an it had "offers" on it much higher.

we are now prepping to stay at our property with family falling back here if SHTF. We are also watching properties in the areas we want like a hawk and are searching for the right one. If found we will buy asap and start moving.
If we sell both properties and get one, we won't have a mortgage so we can both simplify and get low stress jobs. I have been giving away stuff and trying to simplify my life. If it's not my tools, guns, or preps I'm getting rid of most of it.

thanks all!

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm also in SE WI. I've been looking in the Vilas and Oneida county area. I'm kicking myself for not biting the bullet and leaving Milwaukee before now. (I don't mind SE WI life, but lately feel like every day I wait could be the day the trap shuts and I can't leave.)
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm also in SE WI. I've been looking in the Vilas and Oneida county area. I'm kicking myself for not biting the bullet and leaving Milwaukee before now. (I don't mind SE WI life, but lately feel like every day I wait could be the day the trap shuts and I can't leave.)
View Quote

Yea I worry about that too. My commute is 50 miles so physical fitness is at the top of my preps

It’s just getting strange
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve often described the last ten years in this country as a game of musical chairs. Everyone who was paying attention knew the music was going to stop at some point and they would not be in a position to grab a chair where they wanted to be. I’ve lived in 4 states in the past decade and I’m content now with where I am but you have to play the hand you have not the one you wish you had. Have courage, build a team, and inspire others.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I’ve often described the last ten years in this country as a game of musical chairs. Everyone who was paying attention knew the music was going to stop at some point and they would not be in a position to grab a chair where they wanted to be. I’ve lived in 4 states in the past decade and I’m content now with where I am but you have to play the hand you have not the one you wish you had. Have courage, build a team, and inspire others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree ...

Seemingly less and less 'Free' States now exist to flee to, or 'vote with your feet,' as they once said about those fleeing countries taken over by totalitarian-minded collectivist regimes   -  back in the day, Communists.  Today maybe Islamic/Jihadi regimes. Different belief-systems; same goal.

In this country it started with the Dem-run cities and the broader urban centers at the county-level of operation, e.g., Cook County, Illinois (Chicago).

In more recent years the corruption inherent in collectivist policies, along with its necessarily high-tax, centralized, one-size-fits-all governing style,  has reached the state level  - meaning:  in States dominated by collectivist Dems there are very few 'free enclaves' remaining where their policies, regulations, and edicts cannot reach you, making you not only less free and but also less safe and generally miserable. You either stick around and 'put up with' such conditions as a fact of daily life, ... or you vote with your feet.

A very large swath of the 'Fed-Up' folks have moved to one of the still-free/mostly free Red(-ish) States, assuming the stars have aligned for them and they can swing it financially (new job, relocation cost, etc).

Very sad really.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Have you thought about selling and buying a similar property North or Northwest of Milwaukee. Your map shows those areas to be more rural.  I have relatives with farms there and plan on retiring on 73 acres in that area. You could keep your job then.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just want to throw this out there for you to think about.

Very rural typically means very poor and though population density is less, crime rates rival inner large cities.  Unlike major cities where crime centers geographically and along mass transit lines, rural criminals are not limited.  When I lived in Chicago we use to say, all the junkies sell their cars.  They don't in rural areas.  

Tj

View Quote

There is definitely truth to this. Meth is rampant in my small rural town.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Fuel prices are about to go up. Home heating oil or natural gas costs are about to go up. If you live in the boonies and have long commutes it’s going to cut into your budget for preps, training, and range practice especially with no end in sight to ammo costs. Keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:24:15 AM EDT
[#32]
build an iceberg home. Put in a precast concrete culvert cover it with dirt - complete the build in 2 days . Why drive and spend every vacation in some weird place that takes 3 days to get to . . .

Be like the ultra rich and have a iceberg home.

iceburg homes of london

https://www.bosshunting.com.au/design/inside-londons-most-bonkers-iceberg-homes/
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Very rural typically means very poor and though population density is less, crime rates rival inner large cities.  Unlike major cities where crime centers geographically and along mass transit lines, rural criminals are not limited.  When I lived in Chicago we use to say, all the junkies sell their cars.  They don't in rural areas.  

Tj

View Quote

This isn’t strictly accurate. Yes rural areas are often poor but the crime rates do not even remotely rival crime rates in and near large cities. The highest crime rates are inside the cities and near cities....particularly in the subsivisions in and at the edge of the city limits.

If you live rural but are known by the locals to be gone a lot....yes it’s possible you’ll become a target. The most important part to living rural is to know the pathways criminals typically take to travel. Many rural criminals are criminals of opportunity. They take a certain route to and from their home and the nearest city and will steal things they see from time to time along their route. If you live rural, try to live off the regular pathways. Dead end roads are ideal.

I have worked in LE for almost 20 years. I’ve interviewed countless criminals and worked countless burglaries and thefts both as a patrolman and a detective. I now live in a very rural area but work in a neighboring county that has a large city, two mid size cities, and a few smaller cities as well as a lot of rural areas. The rural areas rarely get hit by thieves and when they do, it’s almost always someone the victim knows (heroin addict child or grandchild usually). The hardest hit areas are the middle and upper middle class subdivisions in or within a short drive from the city limits. Those subdivisions typically house nice hard working people so they feel a false sense of security. They leave garage doors open, cars full of valuable stuff in plain view and unlocked, garage door openers in cars parked outside (giving criminals easy access to inside their houses), and so forth. As a criminal, the pickings are so much easier in the subdivisions so why go to rural areas where houses are spread apart? You’ll always get better “loot” by going to subdivisions than you will going to rural areas.

Where I work, most of the people who live in very rural areas are seldom victims of crime. Almost everyone who lives in subdivisions in and near the larger cities has been a victim of crime. The ones who haven’t are the ones who have a good sense of personal and home security. It’s amazing to drive around overnight and see the number of people in subdivisions who leave their garage doors open. Cars with keys in them....tools and other valuables in plain view from the roadway....and oddly enough, they get mad when you wake them up to tell them their garage door was left open.....some people refuse to learn.

You can look at the crime stats for any area and you will always find a much higher crime rate in the urban areas than the rural areas. Not saying there is no crime in rural areas because there is but the odds of success for a criminal in rural areas is much less. Rural areas are much less prone to criminal activity as long as you pay attention to the area you are looking at buying in. Cultivating a relationship with your local LE will give you all kinds of info on where to consider buying....and where not to consider buying.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This isn’t strictly accurate. Yes rural areas are often poor but the crime rates do not even remotely rival crime rates in and near large cities. The highest crime rates are inside the cities and near cities....particularly in the subsivisions in and at the edge of the city limits.

If you live rural but are known by the locals to be gone a lot....yes it’s possible you’ll become a target. The most important part to living rural is to know the pathways criminals typically take to travel. Many rural criminals are criminals of opportunity. They take a certain route to and from their home and the nearest city and will steal things they see from time to time along their route. If you live rural, try to live off the regular pathways. Dead end roads are ideal.

I have worked in LE for almost 20 years. I’ve interviewed countless criminals and worked countless burglaries and thefts both as a patrolman and a detective. I now live in a very rural area but work in a neighboring county that has a large city, two mid size cities, and a few smaller cities as well as a lot of rural areas. The rural areas rarely get hit by thieves and when they do, it’s almost always someone the victim knows (heroin addict child or grandchild usually). The hardest hit areas are the middle and upper middle class subdivisions in or within a short drive from the city limits. Those subdivisions typically house nice hard working people so they feel a false sense of security. They leave garage doors open, cars full of valuable stuff in plain view and unlocked, garage door openers in cars parked outside (giving criminals easy access to inside their houses), and so forth. As a criminal, the pickings are so much easier in the subdivisions so why go to rural areas where houses are spread apart? You’ll always get better “loot” by going to subdivisions than you will going to rural areas.

Where I work, most of the people who live in very rural areas are seldom victims of crime. Almost everyone who lives in subdivisions in and near the larger cities has been a victim of crime. The ones who haven’t are the ones who have a good sense of personal and home security. It’s amazing to drive around overnight and see the number of people in subdivisions who leave their garage doors open. Cars with keys in them....tools and other valuables in plain view from the roadway....and oddly enough, they get mad when you wake them up to tell them their garage door was left open.....some people refuse to learn.

You can look at the crime stats for any area and you will always find a much higher crime rate in the urban areas than the rural areas. Not saying there is no crime in rural areas because there is but the odds of success for a criminal in rural areas is much less. Rural areas are much less prone to criminal activity as long as you pay attention to the area you are looking at buying in. Cultivating a relationship with your local LE will give you all kinds of info on where to consider buying....and where not to consider buying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tj

Good post. Solid information right there ... ^^^^^^.  The crime patterns in the area we moved from pretty much track what you described.

We're much more rural now, with the rear and flanks of our property bordered by a major river.  The house sits on a high ridge above and is well off the main road. The county has a well-respected S/O and deputies.

My gal feels safer, even if her family feels we're a bit, ah, 'isolated.'  We're not, but since they still live in the urban zone it's more their perspective.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#35]
i've seen both.  frankly, i think the country life is a bit oversold, from my observation.  the security improvement - isn't.  you're isolated and more easiliy targeted.  ask a south african white farmer how that country life security is workign out.  theft and shit pulling in the country per-capita, isn't super better than the more urban setting.  you can cherry pick the data and compare country to urban average, but that's not reaelistic as that includes stats from the ghetto.  If you're in suburbia house equivalent in value to that 40 acre plot off land and nice house, those crime stats are way lower.  and you aren't constantly worrying over jackass dropping off their garbage and unwanted pets over there in the back 40, that is the romance of real country life.

The next item is reliability of utilities. Running water, power, etc are super nice.  In the country, you're on your own.  in the urban area's, those things get fixed ricky-tick when they go down.  People in the country during hurrican season can take months getting working power again, people in more surburbia get it back in weeks, if not days or even hours.  if you're walking distance to a river, have some bleach tablets, and a power generator, you're just as good off in a more urban setting than the counttry.  a condo perhaps is a different matter, but a more suburban home with small yard and some separation, and you're not bad.

medical response in the country is serious.  Few are the hip 30 year olds we think we are - by the time you have the means and stability of career to afford that idealized 'off-the-grid' lifestyle out in the country.  which means you're doing it in your 50's+ - or at least your 40's - and looking at your 50's.  heart attack is way more dangerous to you than the collapse of society andd your neighbors going canabilistic.  note that it's the south african white farmers out in the counry that are one's being genocided; not the whites in south african cities.  when argentina collapsed a couple decades ago, the biggist killer and issue wasn't the notably increased crime - it was medical from anxiety.  more people died of heart attack and similiar ailments over worry, than of the things they were actually worried about.  there were some real informative testimonials posted here a few years back from someone who lived through it in argentina; that were eye opening

the last is isolation.  while you might think people suck, i've seen what happens when a couple or small families moves to the country they aren't part of, in an idealized view of that rugged country living lifestyle.  in all to many cases, it turns to shit fast, and they move and sell the place with a copule years.  living as an isolated pariah isn't nearly as romantic as the monday comutte daydreaming would have you belive.

in short, if you want to live out in the country and leave the city behind - go for it.  but be a lot more eye's open about the realities of what that really means, and just how realistic you think the improved security and utility/necessity reliability really really is.  because over the years from my observation - it's not, and typically much worse than in a comperable value property in a nice part of town.  even in teh worst of times and during the worst of collapse', the water and power still tend to flow in those settings.

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good comments. All rural areas are different. I used to live in a rural area that was 30 miles from a major metro, day time burglaries were a major problem. Scum from the city.

Now I live in a rural county that is far away from large cities. I shoot with the deputies once a month to keep up on local information. Most of our county's problems revolve around the county seat, population 3200, that has a meat packing plant and the imported minorities. Property crimes are mostly directed at the seasonal cabins around the lakes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
i've seen both.  frankly, i think the country life is a bit oversold, from my observation.  the security improvement - isn't.  you're isolated and more easiliy targeted.  ask a south african white farmer how that country life security is workign out.  theft and shit pulling in the country per-capita, isn't super better than the more urban setting.  you can cherry pick the data and compare country to urban average, but that's not reaelistic as that includes stats from the ghetto.  If you're in suburbia house equivalent in value to that 40 acre plot off land and nice house, those crime stats are way lower.  and you aren't constantly worrying over jackass dropping off their garbage and unwanted pets over there in the back 40, that is the romance of real country life.

The next item is reliability of utilities. Running water, power, etc are super nice.  In the country, you're on your own.  in the urban area's, those things get fixed ricky-tick when they go down.  People in the country during hurrican season can take months getting working power again, people in more surburbia get it back in weeks, if not days or even hours.  if you're walking distance to a river, have some bleach tablets, and a power generator, you're just as good off in a more urban setting than the counttry.  a condo perhaps is a different matter, but a more suburban home with small yard and some separation, and you're not bad.

medical response in the country is serious.  Few are the hip 30 year olds we think we are - by the time you have the means and stability of career to afford that idealized 'off-the-grid' lifestyle out in the country.  which means you're doing it in your 50's+ - or at least your 40's - and looking at your 50's.  heart attack is way more dangerous to you than the collapse of society andd your neighbors going canabilistic.  note that it's the south african white farmers out in the counry that are one's being genocided; not the whites in south african cities.  when argentina collapsed a couple decades ago, the biggist killer and issue wasn't the notably increased crime - it was medical from anxiety.  more people died of heart attack and similiar ailments over worry, than of the things they were actually worried about.  there were some real informative testimonials posted here a few years back from someone who lived through it in argentina; that were eye opening

the last is isolation.  while you might think people suck, i've seen what happens when a couple or small families moves to the country they aren't part of, in an idealized view of that rugged country living lifestyle.  in all to many cases, it turns to shit fast, and they move and sell the place with a copule years.  living as an isolated pariah isn't nearly as romantic as the monday comutte daydreaming would have you belive.

in short, if you want to live out in the country and leave the city behind - go for it.  but be a lot more eye's open about the realities of what that really means, and just how realistic you think the improved security and utility/necessity reliability really really is.  because over the years from my observation - it's not, and typically much worse than in a comperable value property in a nice part of town.  even in teh worst of times and during the worst of collapse', the water and power still tend to flow in those settings.

View Quote

There are city people and there are country people. Frankly, if I had to live with neighbors closer than 1/2 mile away, traffic jams everywhere I wanted to go, I'd probably end up slitting my wrists.

You raise some valid concerns, but as in my previous post, all rural areas are not the same. I don't live in SA, I'm not a minority in my rural area, though I am outnumbered by Amish.

Utilities here are very reliable. We probably average 1 short outage a year. In my life time I can't remember one longer than about 4 hours. Then again I don't live in a hurricane area, and we don't get the ice storms that are common south of us, and I'm not in California where they shut down the grid when the wind blows.

We have an excellent hospital system 15 miles away, and I've never been stuck in a traffic jam trying to get there.

And I live about 150 miles from the burning, looting, murder activities.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Comparing this country to any African nation is a bit silly. I’ll agree we seem to be slowly heading that way but even now we are many generations from that. Africa is gonna Africa. Always has...likely always will...at least for our lifetime.

The reason you are having a hard time grasping this is....you aren’t a criminal. Most decent people have a very hard time understanding how criminals think. Criminals do not think like you do. To combat criminals effectively, you have to think like one.....and unless you have a lot of experience dealing with them, you will probably never understand how they think. For example, can you explain why a criminal might break into a house and steal low value stuff and leave behind high value stuff? There are explanations for criminal behavior and the more you understand their behavior, the more accurately you can predict who the suspect likely is.  Someone with experience with criminals can look at a crime scene and start forming an opinion of who the likely suspect is (stranger, family member, insurance fraud, hardened experienced criminal vs new to the crime world).

Access to medical is a valid concern. You can be rural but still have good access to medical. It’ll seldom be as fast of a response as in a city but sometimes it can be better. You might be surprised at how long you can wait for medical just a mile from a major trauma center. Big cities have a high demand for medical services and they might have to call in an ambulance from a rural area for you if the local EMS is being used heavily at that moment you need them....so that also means a long drive to get to you even though you are close to medical facilities.

Utilities access is also a valid concern but not a big one in my opinion. Yes you need to plan to be without electricity for longer than those in the city....but this is the survival forum. Don’t we plan for that already?  I’ve been through a week long power outage after an ice storm in the middle of town. Remember...in town they do try to get power up and running but there are many more houses and power lines to deal with. A power outage due to weather in the country is usually a fairly quick fix. A major power outage in town....isn’t usually too quick. So yes, you are slightly more likely to be without power for awhile rural but you usually won’t be without for very much longer than those in town. As far as the remainder of utilities....I have a well, a septic system, propane, and a wood stove....and several generators to run anything that needs power. I can COMFORTABLY get by longer without power than most people in town.

Lots of people have moved to the country and found they don’t fit in. Yes rural areas can be closed and tight knit. But, in my experience those who claim they remained outsiders are the ones at fault for that. When I was a kid we moved from a huge city area to a very rural area. We were the poster family for a family that wouldn’t fit in. Guess what? We had no issues. We heard other people complain about not fitting in....but they refused to adapt to the community. As an example...don’t get upset because the farmer down the road is blocking you from getting home because he’s driving his tractor on the road. Slow down, enjoy the day, and wave when he finally pulls off the road for you to pass. When you neighbors cows get out onto you property, go help the farmer put them back in. Things like that will ensure you fit in quickly. Act like an asshole....yes you’ll never fit in.

There are valid reasons to live rural and in the city. Both have positives and negatives. It’s up to each of us to figure out what’s most important. The ability to sit on my deck or in my pool and hear no traffic going by and see wild animals everywhere makes any negatives 100% worth it to me.

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for all the replies! This has been some great info!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Interesting data point for consideration. My area recently went through a fairly minor ice accumulation event. The only areas that lost power were the city areas. It was primarily fairly localized but was primarily due to branches falling on above ground power lines from the transformer to the house. I don’t think any of the rural areas lost power at all. City areas had 2-12 hour outages.

If you can, have your power run underground from the poles to your house. Much more reliable. If you can’t, check the trees around the line and trim branches back if they are over or near your power line feed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Something else to add to the mix is food availability.  Suburban areas with better quality grocery stores and wealthier people are going to get restocked before outlying areas with fewer people- who often have a very poor selection to start with.  The closest town to where we hunt has a crappy grocery store (surprisingly a chain but this one is small and has a generally poor selection of fresh produce and meats but a fair selection of really unhealthy stuff) and a local place that has a very small selection of overpriced and average at best looking stuff (unless you wanted picked products off the counter or potted meat products).

I've heard and read a lot of folks saying they'll start a garden but very few realize just how much work that actually is and that it needs to be prepped/started well ahead of time, that it takes time to get any return, that it's very weather/pest/etc. dependent, that they should have planted fruit trees years ago, that it takes some actual knowledge, etc.  Lots of folks talk about moving out west, especially to the northwestern states but there are reasons why they're sparely populated and always have been, the weather and terrain are not conducive to small scale sustainable farming and it's just not comfortable living.  There are several good books on small scale independence type farming and animal husbandry.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#42]
In times of limited resources high density areas will be given first priority. If you are goinjg to be "off the grid" best have preps and plans in place to remain that way for some time. Pick your poison.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In times of limited resources high density areas will be given first priority. If you are goinjg to be "off the grid" best have preps and plans in place to remain that way for some time. Pick your poison.
View Quote

High density areas will get priority BUT they also have higher demand due to many more power lines running everywhere. Rural areas usually don’t lose power as often (varies from place to place) and usually stay without power for the same or slightly longer periods of time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#45]
I know this is contrarian but statistically the most likely things to kill you are a heart attack and cancer.  Therefore, you should consider being near good health care.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That depends on how you look at crime rates, total vs crime per 1,000.  Its also very geographic depending on local economies.  I've lived in seven states and three major top five cities.  

Politics also play a major role.  I've found police wherever I have lived to do what they can to do their job.  That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, however justice systems that practice a revolving door policy more are more problematic.  For example, where I live now, every crime no matter how small is published in the local news paper and a day doesn't go by I don't think or say if that happened here, they would be gone compared to many places.  Its the difference between "How many strikes" vs "One strike is too many."  Absolutely true and I agree with you in states/counties leaning more "One strike is too many" population density overwhelms the system, however in "Good ole boy" systems even rural areas can be problematic.  When I was younger the county I grew up was very similar in population as where I do now, however politics were very liberal and a strong "Good ole Boy network" very prevalent.  I could tell you horror stories but they had the same thing in common, his mom worked in the courthouse, his dad owned this company, etc.  That is multiplied big time when financial influence is prevalent.  Simply put liberal ran areas.  Now this is no surprise and its everywhere to some extent. I call it who's your daddy.  Anyway I know rural Appalachian poor counties, I'd rather live in inner city than there.  Where there's poverty, there's drugs and where drugs there's crime.

Tj
View Quote

Not really sure I understand what you’re trying to say here. I’ve read it a few times and struggling to understand exactly what you’re trying to convey.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#47]
OK what are some good places to relocate to?

Need mountain views, low population density, and low cost of living! (and jobs)

Some ideas as Montana is not going to work job wise

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OK what are some good places to relocate to?

Need mountain views, low population density, and low cost of living! (and jobs)

Some ideas as Montana is not going to work job wise

View Quote

That list isn't good enough
start over
What is required and what isn't, how much money do you have what is it you do/industry/work.    It's almost always cheaper overall to live out of the big cities, but some things are more expensive and almost always jobs pay less.  

how big of town, how far from a 'REAL" city, health issues?   weather wanted?  (if you're from florida, montana is going to be a hell of a shock).   etc.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:57:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I know this is contrarian but statistically the most likely things to kill you are a heart attack and cancer.  Therefore, you should consider being near good health care.  

View Quote

This is true until it isn't, and is further complicated by having to take the whole family unit into account.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Can’t find anything in our internet searches.  
No houses popping up in the areas that had plenty of property’s listed for years we have been looking.

Crazy times. A small house by me sold in a day and a new house listed on10 acres is $800k($450 pre covid)

Our 40 acres is worth so much now but we can’t find another property to move to.

Expanding the search areas now
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top