Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2022 12:39:39 AM EDT
We've talked e-bikes here before.  What's the current market for moderately ruggedized e-bikes, as in something more than a simple motorized beach cruiser?  The e-bike market options seem to change monthly.

Someone here posted about being in e-bikes for years and had great info on reliable e-bike transmissions, but I can't seem to dredge that thread up in a search.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at Sur-Ron
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#2]
There’s 10-12 manufacturers with a hunting ebike out there, that’s where I’d start.

If you’re thinking of making one, I’m not sure you could stand out in the market making a ebike legal accross most of the states.  Now if you did a performance “racing” ebike…
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#4]
2x2 Bike looks tier one:

https://ubco.com/

All around American badass 2x2 Rokon:

https://www.rokon.com/

Rokon would be on my list of things to buy after thermal and night vision.

-P
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#5]
If I wanted one I think I’d pick one of the big brands like a Trek so my chances for parts and services are better.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I went back and forth on Ebikes for two years.
Right now that tech is changing rapidly and I hope pricing comes down in a few years.
EBikes are not all that reliable compared to a small Honda dirt bike.
Here is what I settled on.
I bought TWO Honda 230L dirt bikes for $2500 each (like new with under 2,000 miles).
I bought two used alum semi truck fuel tanks to store 200 gallon of treated 100% gasoline in and will rotate this gas out every year. I do plan on adding 1/2 more tanks.
This should yield me around +/-10,000 total miles.
I also have a back up bike incase one goes down.
I purchased four of new tires with best wear rating. Four complete oil changes, two O-ring chains, two rear sprockets and a few other parts.
I purchased all this well under the cost of the SuRon Ebike I wanted.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right now that tech is changing rapidly and I hope pricing comes down in a few years.
I bought TWO Honda 230L dirt bikes for $2500 each (like new with under 2,000 miles).
I bought two used alum semi truck fuel tanks to store 200 gallon of treated 100% gasoline in and will rotate this gas out every year. I do plan on adding 1/2 more tanks.
I purchased four of new tires with best wear rating. Four complete oil changes, two O-ring chains, two rear sprockets and a few other parts.
View Quote

Wow. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
dont let the bike burn your house down.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/four-e-bike-battery-fires-153100994.html
View Quote

Happened to my bro in law and sister .
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do not mean to derail the thread.  However, this reply does have some value...

My main job now is Motorcycle Coach.  As such, I maintain and operate a fleet of small motorcycles.  The little 200-250 class dual sport motorcycles are fairly handy little machines.  Our Suzuki DR200's had an EPA rating of something like 105MPG.  No, its not electric, but that's a ton of driving for little gas.  And if they are plated (dual sport instead of dirt bike), they are both road legal AND night time capable.  Most dedicated dirt bikes do not have a headlight.  Little dual sports do, meaning night time travel is still viable

These aren't speedy machines.  Many of these little 200 cc class dual sports seem to top out at about 50 mph.  High speed travel isn't really viable.  However, they will go anywhere, and will run all damn day at 35, 40 mph....

My fleet isn't hammering trails, bouncing off rocks, etc. However, they see HARD use as training bikes.  Maintenance is simple:  Fresh gas.  Correct storage.  Oil change. CHAIN MAINTENANCE.  Brake pads and a brake fluid change every once in a while.  The most frequent failure item is levers and cables.  And there isn't a good make-shift cable, so a set of replacements is cheap insurance.  Invest $20 in a Motion Pro cable luber.  A squirt of lube/rust preventative in the cable e very six months is a HUGE plus.

Tires:  If you store tires, beware:  Even "New" tires, with zero miles, are pretty much garbage after 8 or 10 years.  Check the date codes on the tires...  Tubes.  you need more tubes.....

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I do not mean to derail the thread.  However, this reply does have some value...

My main job now is Motorcycle Coach.  As such, I maintain and operate a fleet of small motorcycles.  The little 200-250 class dual sport motorcycles are fairly handy little machines.  Our Suzuki DR200's had an EPA rating of something like 105MPG.  No, its not electric, but that's a ton of driving for little gas.  And if they are plated (dual sport instead of dirt bike), they are both road legal AND night time capable.  Most dedicated dirt bikes do not have a headlight.  Little dual sports do, meaning night time travel is still viable

These aren't speedy machines.  Many of these little 200 cc class dual sports seem to top out at about 50 mph.  High speed travel isn't really viable.  However, they will go anywhere, and will run all damn day at 35, 40 mph....

My fleet isn't hammering trails, bouncing off rocks, etc. However, they see HARD use as training bikes.  Maintenance is simple:  Fresh gas.  Correct storage.  Oil change. CHAIN MAINTENANCE.  Brake pads and a brake fluid change every once in a while.  The most frequent failure item is levers and cables.  And there isn't a good make-shift cable, so a set of replacements is cheap insurance.  Invest $20 in a Motion Pro cable luber.  A squirt of lube/rust preventative in the cable e very six months is a HUGE plus.

Tires:  If you store tires, beware:  Even "New" tires, with zero miles, are pretty much garbage after 8 or 10 years.  Check the date codes on the tires...  Tubes.  you need more tubes.....
View Quote

Yamaha's WR250 in street-legal trim will give you higher speed (75-80mph) than the little DR, but you will lose some mpgs - I have heard anecdotal stories of people getting 60-80 mpg on the WR, though I doubt that is going 80 mph.  A KLX 250 w/ a 300 big bore kit will also fit the parameters.

I route extra cables right next to the existing cables and use zip ties to hold them in place.  If a cable breaks, it's easy to switch over to the new one.  

Back to ebikes.  The big benefit of an ebike is that you can charge them w/ a solar panel in 5-15 hours, depending on a couple variables.  I have friends who camp off of their ebikes.  They pull a small trailer and have their foldable or flexible solar panels in the trailer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Just get in shape on a regular bike, on your local side roads and trails. Two birds, many many stones to ride that don't require power and won't leave your out of shape ass vulnerable when it runs out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top