Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2018 9:50:10 AM EDT
I have a helmet "radio" set. Cardo SmartPack

What I want to know is can i get a hand set to interface with these?  Say I'm in the car and wife is on her bike, but we still want to talk. Can it be done?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it’s just a Bluetooth headset that you pair up with a cell phone, from what I can tell in the user manual. You could use it but you would basically be on a phone call for as long as your wanting to talk to her.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Hah and just as I post that above I see that those units can Bluetooth together. I would assume you could purchase another one and Bluetooth them together and drive down the road. Keep in mind though that bluetooth has a small range.

Class 1 transmitting at 100mw range is 100 meters
Class 2 2.5mw range is 10 meters
Class 3 1mw range is also 10 meters
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Bluetooth to the phone, then use a phone to phone walkie talkie app (Zello, maybe?).
It'll use your data plan, but you might be able to get ptt or vox functionality.

That will get past the Bluetooth range limitation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link doesn't work for me
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you refer to as a handset?
These are made for motorcycle riders. I have a similar unit but from a different manufacturer. It can be either linked to another unit or to a mobile phone. When linked to another unit, the range is usually a lot longer, up to 600 feet if I remember correctly. It is full duplex. This is usually enough for several motorcycles traveling in formation. When linked to a mobile phone or another typical Bluetooth device, the range is at the "standard" 10 meter (up to 30 feet) range.
Your wife will need another Smartpack if you want to talk to her without using a smartphone. Download Zello to both smartphones and you got a nice walkie-talkie with no range limit. Same can be accomplished with a cheap set of FRS radios with simple headsets.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I know it's used for motorcycle riders. Hence my helmet question.  Wife and I can ride and these work great up to about half mile apart, line of sight of course. I'm wondering can i link to it, not using bluetooth, with a "walkie talkie" type hand held receiver / transmitter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a sena but if the scala rider is bluetooth 4.1 it should work too.

I use a xpr7550 that has bluetooth built in. That let's me talk over vhf/uhf through my helmet and actually into the router and dmr gateway that gives nation wide coverage as long as my phone has signal.

Attachment Attached File

However that is just a geek approach. The off the shelf options is a sena tough talk.

https://www.sena.com/product/tufftalk/

But you can also make your own. Just buy a set of ear pro and mount the helmet mount. The sena dealer showed me a pair he made with some 3m ear muffs for riding his ranger.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a sena but if the scala rider is bluetooth 4.1 it should work too.

I use a xpr7550 that has bluetooth built in. That let's me talk over vhf/uhf through my helmet and actually into the router and dmr gateway that gives nation wide coverage as long as my phone has signal.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/224019/IMG_0589-673529.JPG

However that is just a geek approach. The off the shelf options is a sena tough talk.

https://www.sena.com/product/tufftalk/

But you can also make your own. Just buy a set of ear pro and mount the helmet mount. The sena dealer showed me a pair he made with some 3m ear muffs for riding his ranger.
View Quote
I hadn't thought of this approach (obviously).  I'd have to buy another helmet mount, but ear pro is already in the house.

that's why you're a damn genius!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top