Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2020 8:47:58 AM EDT
I finally snared a rabbit!  However coyotes got to him before I could.  I checked the snare in the early evening and no rabbit then again in the AM and his half eaten carcass was mostly gone.  I'm curious how long it is safe (edible) for an animal to to be in the snare. Let's say he is snared early evening and I don't find him til the next morning.  Since it is now quite warm here in GA wouldn't the meat be spoiled by the time I get to the snare in the morning?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't eat anything that a filthy coyote had gnawed on, unless I was starving to death. For the future cook, eat, report back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I should have clarified. I wouldn't eat bunny a yote had been gnawing on.  I meant if I get another rabbit that had been ensnared over night would it be safe to eat it if I retrieved it the following morning?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Coyotes around here make rounds just prior to sundown, and then about five or six hours later.  Coyotes usually have a pattern, until you figure that out, it's just guesswork.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My snare got another victim today. Went to check this morning and a raccoon was in the snare caught by the hind leg and he was furious. I was able to snip the snare cut him loose so he could go about his business but it was touching go for a minute
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
How warm is it?  I think I might be leery about that if I were where you are.  It freezes at night 9-10 months out of the year here, so I'd be comfortable with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top