Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2020 8:32:56 PM EDT
I bought a Howa Mini Action 20" heavy barrel.

Here in MO average shot is less than 100 yards and the longest shot I've had to take is ~ 170 yards.

Need an optic and I'm open to ideas.

I have a Leupold 3-9 x 40 on my 30-06 and is probably overkill here.

I have a pair of Strike Eagle scopes sitting on the shelf:  1-8 x 24 and a 1-6 x 24.

Is one of them adequate for my purpose?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been wanting to buy a 6.5 grendel or 300blk mini action for a while and intend on putting a 3-9×40 Leupold VXR on whichever I finally decide to get.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been wanting to buy a 6.5 grendel or 300blk mini action for a while and intend on putting a 3-9×40 Leupold VXR on whichever I finally decide to get.
View Quote
Thanks but how far out do you plan to tag?

Is a 3-9 x40 necessary at 175 yards... likely my longest shot?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I bought a Howa Mini Action 20" heavy barrel.

Here in MO average shot is less than 100 yards and the longest shot I've had to take is ~ 170 yards.

Need an optic and I'm open to ideas.

I have a Leupold 3-9 x 40 on my 30-06 and is probably overkill here.

I have a pair of Strike Eagle scopes sitting on the shelf:  1-8 x 24 and a 1-6 x 24.

Is one of them adequate for my purpose?

Thanks
View Quote
The 1-8x24 Strike Eagle would be perfect if you want to use what you already have. I was going to recommend a 1-8 or a 2-10 for the distances that you stated. I personally like a larger bell on an optic and a minimal 30mm tube when hunting in timber or shaded areas.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
3x9 is probably the most standard hunting scope size there is.  It gives you enough zoom to better identify a target and 3x low enough a critter isnt going to fill the entire FOV unless it's really close.  I am not a fan of LPVO on hunting scopes because the eye box is generally smaller and less forgiving and they let a lot less light through.  A lot of shots are in that time frame where it's getting light or dark.

I agree with the above poster.  2-10 with a larger objective lens would make a great hunting scope.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
3x9 is probably the most standard hunting scope size there is.  It gives you enough zoom to better identify a target and 3x low enough a critter isnt going to fill the entire FOV unless it's really close.  I am not a fan of LPVO on hunting scopes because the eye box is generally smaller and less forgiving and they let a lot less light through.  A lot of shots are in that time frame where it's getting light or dark.

I agree with the above poster.  2-10 with a larger objective lens would make a great hunting scope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I personally use a Burris XTR ii 2-10x42. I love the scope since it has a 42mm objective lens and a 34mm tube.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-riflescopes-series/xtr-ii-riflescope-2-10x42mm

The only drawback I have with it, it has exposed turrets and the weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top