Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2021 5:58:02 PM EDT
putting together my first EDC bag.  want a good first aid kit and overwhelmed with the options. looking for something quality but pretty basic that won't break the proverbial bank
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Are we talking Boo Boo type stuff or GSW type stuff?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
great question.  looking for a step beyond boo boo
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you taken a first aid course or stop the bleed? Equipment is nothing without training.

If you are thinking about massive hemorrhaging here is short list, I am sure someone with more skillzzz than I will chime in.

Tourniquets (as in ideally two of them) either a CAT or SOFTT

Gauze for wound packing (folded or Kirlex)

Duct tape

Ace bandages for compression

Petrolatum gauze

Vented chest seals

Sharpie

EMT Shears (Way more useful than just dealing with medical stuff you will use them often)

Lip balm

Nitrile gloves

CPR keychain barrier
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the North American Rescue " bleeding control kit" about $50-60. You can use HSA money to buy first aid kits/supplies.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Before you spend any money, take a course. A reputable instructor will be able to guide you on the necessities.

Tourniquet and Celox bandage are the bare essentials in a "stop the bleed" style kit but, there's a lot more to it than that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Bear independent has first aid, ifaks and everything in between any where from $50 on up
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I prefer to make my own kits. Commercial kits usually have crap you’ll never need. Where a lot of people go wrong is thinking they are going to patch someone up with a critical wound. First aid can save someone’s life IF they get to an ER DR fast. If you get a torso shot, a chest seal might prolong your life but you need the services of a surgeon ASAP. A tourniquet should keep you from bleeding out from a femoral artery bleed but a surgeon is going to have to go in and fix it for you to survive it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I searched for a kit that had most of the things I wanted in a kit, at an affordable price. Found this:
https://www.rescue-essentials.com/le-vehicle-first-aid-kit/

Add a couple tourniquets and chest seals, and you have a decent kit.  No fancy bags, pockets, or field surgery.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Make your own.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the North American Rescue " bleeding control kit" about $50-60. You can use HSA money to buy first aid kits/supplies.
View Quote

That does look nice; thanks for sharing.

I've got several NAR IPOKs spread around, but the one you shared has a larger ETD and adds shears for about $5 more.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I am also in the make your own camp...  I put stuff in mine that I know how to use, which isn't much
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top