Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2021 10:11:12 AM EDT
So I decided to grow seedlings this this year instead of buying plants form the stores.  Tomatoes and peppers is what  Im starting from seeds.  I have a couple of seed trays going and have some seedlings growing but the weather is still mostly to cool for much growth to happen.   I have been setting them in the sun and bringing them inside at night but growth is slow because of the cool air.   Next year I want to start them inside under grow lights but I don't want to have problems with leggy plants because the lights were not bright enough.   Im looking at growing 2 trays of seeds into plants big enough to plant outside in the garden.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I've read, no artificial light is bright enough for plants. About the best you can do is bring the lights close as possible to the plants, and raise it as they grow.

I keep swearing I'm giving up trying to grow seedlings, but keep starting over every other year, like. This year I'm trying the LED grow lights. They don't cast as wide a "beam" as the old shop light types with grow bulbs, but I don't want to double them up (single bulb units), as it's like $50 for a 4 pack.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#2]
My tomatoes are doing well, the sweet peppers are also. I have herbs starting also.

I got stupid and planted radishes, onions and carrots as well. They started well. I transplanted the radishes and tried separating the plants (I foolishly put 2 seeds in each spot). The radishes haven’t died yet, but they are laying in the pots now.

I’m using the Feit LED’s. Waiting to see how it turns out. This is my first attempt, and I got anxious and planted things (inside) too early. I’ll see how things go and plan next year.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Mars Hydro line of led grow lights is what you seek- very affordable and I know they come from china and Amazon.  but you will not bring the downfall of our economy by buying a grow light from china.
Flame suit On
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Shop lights from walmart work fine and are inexpensive, you just may need to lower them close to the seedlings. Get something like 5000 lumen daylight (5000k-6500k) temperature. If you want to spend money and get super lights the best value are kingbright panels off of alibaba, though you can take the middle road and buy mars hydro, viparspectre, spiderfarmer or another decent brand off amazon, though I dont think I'd bother w/super lights unless I was growing inside... and even though I grow some stuff inside I still mostly just use LED shop lights, personally. Don't buy those dumb burple tubes off amazon like this--

You're better off just buying LED shop lights, or LED bulbs and putting them in some clamp lights than getting those... I can speak from xp on that.

Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I use shop light (not led) with two different bulbs in each fixture. Like daylight and something cool to broaden the light spectrum. Keep em low and raise em. I found out from a youtube video to blast them with light for like 48 hours constant once they break ground. It is supposed to help them so they are not so spindly.

My #1 Tip for Growing Strong Stocky Indoor Tomato Transplants - No Legginess!: Two Minute TRG Tips
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 1:13:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Seedlings don't take much light and only need blue light to grow.  The shop lights work very well for that purpose.  A general minimal level of light is 1,000 lumens per sq ft with the light 4 to 6 inches above the plants.  Put 2 of the 4 foot long shop lights side by side (they are 4,000 to 6,000 lumens each) and you will have enough light for 2 trays under them.  LED lights have gotten cheap, Rural King here has the 5,000 lumen models for under $20 and 6,000 lumen models for $25.  You will need a way to raise the lights as the plants grow.  Controlling the light height is really the most difficult part of the process.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use shop light (not led) with two different bulbs in each fixture. Like daylight and something cool to broaden the light spectrum. Keep em low and raise em. I found out from a youtube video to blast them with light for like 48 hours constant once they break ground. It is supposed to help them so they are not so spindly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPf5gsXGHiA
View Quote

Thanks for turning me on to that You-tuber's videos about starting tomatoes and peppers from seeds - I'm getting a late start on this, not so late that I'm going to have problems, but late enough that I need to get a move on right now...

Link Posted: 3/23/2021 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Put them indoors in a spot where they get as much sun as possible AND use big grow lights to augment the sun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Been using 4' shop lights with the Philips plant & aquarium bulbs for many years to start seedlings with excellent success but those bulbs may be hard to find anymore - all I see are leds. Luckily I bought some extras a few years ago and they do last a long time - some I have have been in use for close to 10 years. I've used a couple different brands of leds, currently have 6, 600 watt MarsHydro and I've found that the leds do not grow the seedlings the same and you have to be very careful with height above plants - MORE than they recommend. The flourescents I keep about 1" to 2" above the plants and they do fine. The leds have to be at least 48" above the plants or it will kill them. The vegetative growth is much better with the shop lights, flowering seems better with the leds.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to Home Depot and picked up a plain Jane 4' shop light fixture with power cord and no bulbs for $17. Walked around to the next aisle and picked up a pair of 6500K T8 fluorescent bulbs for another $10.

It's growing pepper and tomato seedlings like nobody's business. MUCH better than the screaming pink LED grow light I had been using.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Wrap your seedling in a mylar safety blanket forming a tent attached to the shop light at the top. This will keep light from being wasted and increases the effectiveness. Aluminum foil on cardboard will also work
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Got a pair of Walmart led bulbs to replace the 20 year old fluorescent bulbs in my shop light. The box says they replace T-8 & T-12 bulbs. They flickered and hummed really bad and caused a smell.

I'm going to return them and just get their $19 led 5000 lumen, 5000k shop light.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:40:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Optic LEDs or California Lightworks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
t5 highbays.look for them on fb marketplace; I usually give $15-30 for them. look for 6 bulb units, although 4 bulb will work. i use 2-4 bulbs on my seedlings with a heat mat and a timer. you can get a 20x48 mat with a digital controller and a timer for $35-50 if you shop around. Stsrt 5-10x20 trays at a time
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mars Hydro line of led grow lights is what you seek- very affordable and I know they come from china and Amazon.  but you will not bring the downfall of our economy by buying a grow light from china.
Flame suit On
View Quote
Bloom Plus lights have the same specs and are a bit cheaper. various brands on Amazon, plenty to choose from, other brands may currently be the best bang for your buck.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I use some old 2x4 lay in light fixtures.
Removed the lenses and put 4 T8 6500k lamps in them.
I sit the fixture right on top of my frames until they sprout, then raise them 3.5” at a time via some 4x4 lumber on its side.
Used a timer to run the fixtures 16 hours a day.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been running a 1000w Red/Blue/IR setup for a few years. This year I augmented it with some cheap 42w 4' LED fixtures and saw a HUGE difference with my plants. I started them with the 1000w light, then once they were repotted, moved them to the 42w pair on a longer timer. Granted, I usually start a few hundred seedlings (mostly giveaways) so I do need a fair amount of coverage.

The 1000w sells for just less than $100 now, the 42w were $25 each.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top