Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2020 1:37:16 AM EDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FTv06szcW0&has_verified=1

2012: Everbody calling her crazy
2020: Guess who is crazy now

so before the pandemic, I had 30 masks. I have an 3/5 order in with an amazon,  deal for 10 for July delivery which I don't believe is real. They took my money- kind of like midway . .

My worry is this winter - and how to restock . . . a family member is going in for surgery next month. They will take 10 masks stuffed discreetly/ with notes never to have more than one out at a time.

my preps worked flawlessly. - now I'm wondering what's the strategy for a N95 restock. Short of flying to China. . . . my goal is to restock before thanksgiving. . . it just seems like all the elites and the ra racers are determined that a N95 never see civilian use again.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to find some as well.  After reading about the "KN95" debacle and all the states recalling them and quarantining health care workers who wore them, I want real deal N95.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:21:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Wish I remembered where I bought mine.  I'd like to buy more just because my governor says they're not for me but I got there so longer ago...
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The bigger lesson should be that the government wants YOUR preps when they fail to make their own.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#4]
bought mine at home depot...marked made in USA...but that was 10 years ago. bought 4 dozen and a dozen n100 at the time...
gonna be a LONG time before home depot has ANY respirators in stock for more than 5 min.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The foam rubber on the nose piece will rot over time. I have some as proof of this.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#7]
A legit N95 mask is good for around 40 hours.  If you have 30 masks that is 1,200 hours of use.  If you use it 3 hour per day max for shopping and being out that's over a year of use with 30 masks.  Are you being logical about your worry?

Also just make some cloth masks and wash them.

There are other alternatives like getting a 3m half mask (all over ebay right now), using the 603 adapter and 501 retainer.  Buy some legit 3m 5N11 filters (also on Ebay right now).  Or order HEPA furnance filters and cut your own to fit.  That is basically an N95 rated material for under $1 per use.  All of this is available on Ebay and other stores right now.

Dont obsess over the term "N95" which is a pitfall millions are doing.  Understand what the mask is doing and find an alternative.

Adapt.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
You know what we used for masks 40 years ago dealing with biological weapons grade bugs?  

Cloth, double ply about a 400 thread count. We'd then wash them and use them over and over again.  

Let me try to explain this in N95 terms.  A manufacturer to get an N95 stamp sends a sample of his masks off to a qualification lab where it must pass a 0.3 micron filtration rate.  The pay big bucks, then get the stamp.  

Now here's the kicker, this particular Corona virus is only 0.13 microns well over half the size to go right through an 95 mask so what good is it?  OK here goes, what that means is for your disposable mask to work over time, you must dispose of it.  Otherwise what we're really doing is blocking water droplets from a sneeze which is estimated at 300 microns.  

OK if you follow this then which about the same cloth thread count is only 180.  

Make your self a two ply 400 thread count, plete the ourside layer so it both breathes better and filters better then you can wash it hundreds of times and not depend on China and China quality paper masks.  You really think China is making those masks last one like the first one right now?

Tj
View Quote

N95 masks filter particles smaller than .3 microns. .3 microns is a difficult particle size to filter, so that is why they are tested for that.  Larger and smaller particles are trapped more effectively.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Army Says It Has Found the Best Fabric for DIY Face Masks

SNIP

After running about 300 tests, the team found that one of the best readily available materials to use in a homemade face covering is four-ply microfiber cloth, which is popular for cleaning and polishing surfaces, according to the release.

"It filters out over 75% of particles," according to the release. "In comparison, the N95 mask used by healthcare workers in hospitals can filter 95 percent of particles or greater."

Testers also found that "even a polyester bandana can be reasonably effective if it is used in layers, according to the release, which adds that it will filter out "40 percent of suspended particles."
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Doing some searching for GTG HEPA material; so far, HEPA air conditioner/ furnace filters seem to be available, and backup is HEPA vacuum cleaner bags.

There are some who may be missing the point to all this "Virus" business.

Allow me to make a statement, and I stand ready to be corrected.  Be advised that I am NOT a Medical Doctor.

Before I start, allow me to highly recommend the YouTube site "Peak Prosperity".  This site somehow showed up for me early in January, and the people on the site have been almost 100% spot-on since that point as regards the Covid19.   Amazingly so.  At first, I thought them to be a bit alarmist (so did the GF, who is my "reality-check" on some things, but they were all too accurate, and even she has come to consider the site ae a valuable source of information. Turns out the main honcho is not an Economist, but an PhD of Pathology.  Site link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZUJhKUbd0k

I greatly appreciate Cambpells vids:   https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=campbells+virus+videos&docid=608017839520483773&mid=026FA413068B3EDC0B74026FA413068B3EDC0B74&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Both Vid-makers try to be non-partisan, and apolitical.  They try to stick to acknowledged facts.

This virus, whatever its' origin, is NOT the common Flu.  It seems more intense, and afflicts the elderly, and those with other diseases (co-morbidities) worse than some other age groups.  This is NOT to say that a given person cannot get sick, and die from the virus, but it seems that many people have already had it, and for those people, it was not a big deal.  

Barring a vaccine, it seems likely that a good many people will eventually contract the virus.  This is "normal"  in the course of any communicable disease.  This particular virus seems to be very transmissible/communicable because the infected person does not realize they are ill for some time, but during that time, they are capable of infecting many others.

OK, most of us know the above.  

It seems to me that the most vulnerable, namely the elderly and those with pertinent co-morbidities, will need to take significant precautions against getting the virus for quite some time.  Of course, younger people probably don't want to get sick--and perhaps die-- but the stats are very much in their favor, compared to some other people.

The way this virus will "go away"--and it will, eventually-- since it seems to be mutating very slowly, if at all, is either by mass inoculation, of by what the Meds call "Herd Immunity".  This term means that when about 80% of the "herd" is immune (for any reason) to the disease, the other 20% are virtually safe from contracting it.  NOT totally, but it becomes very unlikely.

I'm not so sure I want to be first in line to get a vaccine whose development was rushed.  YMMV, and all that.

Here's the bottom line:  All this "Lock-Down" business , up to this point, has probably been necessary for the Medical community to "ramp-up" their facilities/ medicines/treatments/protocols/etc. for when the "lock-down" has to be relieved, lest the economy crash and burn.  The "Lock-Down" has not saved any lives, Period.  The "Lock-Down" has done what was intended:  Provide time for the medical system to ramp-up.  There WILL be an increase in severely ill people once the economy begins to re-open, and hopefully the Med facilities and so forth will not be over-taxed.  The unfortunate reality is that most people will be likely to get the virus, regardless of all the measures they take against doing so.  At some future point, contracting the virus will be very uncommon, depending on immunization/immunity, but a possibility, nevertheless.

The sad truth, so far, is that once people are so ill as to require respirators, the mortality rate is a little over 50% for them, and they linger on for a long time, consuming extraordinary resources.

Oh, yes, the Medical community is very rightly concerned about triage as concerns Virus patients.  Imagine the risk a Dr. would take when he/she says that  patient "A" has been on a scarce respirator for 4 weeks with no improvement, and that usually means they will eventually die. Meanwhile, some new guy needs the respirator, and he might have a better chance of survival.  Pretty risky to pull the plug, in that scenario.  Tough choice, under the best of conditions.  Now one can see why so many ventilators are being demanded.  Not because the use of such guarantees recovery.  The availability of ventilators means that MDs don't incur risks.  I understand their concerns; If I were an MD faced with such a choice, it would be a difficult decision.

So, being what some would call elderly, I plan on observing reasonable protocols that will protect me for quite some time.  Stats tell me this is sensible.  Others need to decide for themselves what level of risk they are prepared to run.

As mentioned, these are my simple observations, and I'm NO medical expert.

YMMV, of course, and If I am wrong in any of my statements, PLEASE inform me/us!   Apologize for rambling a bit.  I have a cracked tooth, and dentists being in short supply at the moment, I have to deal with a certain level of pain, which raises hell with my logical facilities.  I beg your indulgence.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]

My post was "Must pass  the test at 0.3microns but the point was airborne water droplets average 300 microns.  That's what we are concerned with.  

Even then I wouldn't make a blanket statement "ALL N95's" will do even 0.03 microns let alone better.  The concepts and quality of those masks are all over the place from simple paper to polymer to almost gas mask in design and right now they're being trashed out by the 10s of millions.  

Regardless a person is better off with a mask they made so they know the quality that can be washed than culturing virus and bacteria on a disposable mask they are using over and over again. 

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _Matt_:

N95 masks filter particles smaller than .3 microns. .3 microns is a difficult particle size to filter, so that is why they are tested for that.  Larger and smaller particles are trapped more effectively.

My post was "Must pass  the test at 0.3microns but the point was airborne water droplets average 300 microns.  That's what we are concerned with.  

Even then I wouldn't make a blanket statement "ALL N95's" will do even 0.03 microns let alone better.  The concepts and quality of those masks are all over the place from simple paper to polymer to almost gas mask in design and right now they're being trashed out by the 10s of millions.  

Regardless a person is better off with a mask they made so they know the quality that can be washed than culturing virus and bacteria on a disposable mask they are using over and over again. 

You said the corona virus is of the size to go right through a mask. That doesn’t happen.

I also don’t believe that a homemade cloth mask is better than any N95, and there are many ways to allow the masks be reused.  Officially most 3m masks are 30 days or 40hrs of use, obviously medical guidelines were to dispose of them to prevent cross contamination.  12 masks could provide for a 8hr day of use once a week for a year.

N95 respirators can be also sterilized; at 158° for 30 minutes. Or you can simply wait until the virus dies, the virus isn’t going to reproduce in/on the mask.  The guidelines are to wait 4 days after wearing.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I think this thread is about how to restock ones mask supply????

If you have friends who work for large construction companies ask them for some.  Bunch of my friends are in the trades and all have access to masks. We might not be able to buy them but large companies can so ask around. I see some places online where you can buy them at ridiculous prices.  

Another option is to ask around with other people you know.  I went out shopping the other day and a lot of people had n95 and p100 masks on so they  are out there.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
The foam rubber on the nose piece will rot over time. I have some as proof of this.
View Quote

Vacuum seal and/or freeze them ?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Once things settle down we will see good n95 masks for sale.

I got 3m 6800 and 6700 “gas masks” and half face mask respirators for my wife and I; we are medical . We use p100 plastic cased filters. They have a better seal then n95’s and filter better than the p95 and I can sanitize the parts of the filter I would touch after digging, then do hand hygiene.  

Just because these mask are rated for 0.3 microns doesn’t mean that they won’t stop anything smaller than that. They will still catch a large number of smaller particles.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Doing some searching for GTG HEPA material; so far, HEPA air conditioner/ furnace filters seem to be available, and backup is HEPA vacuum cleaner bags.

Allow me to make a statement, and I stand ready to be corrected.  Be advised that I am NOT a Medical Doctor.

Before I start, allow me to highly recommend the YouTube site "Peak Prosperity".  This site somehow showed up for me early in January, and the people on the site have been almost 100% spot-on since that point as regards the Covid19.   Amazingly so.  At first, I thought them to be a bit alarmist (so did the GF, who is my "reality-check" on some things, but they were all too accurate, and even she has come to consider the site ae a valuable source of information. Turns out the main honcho is not an Economist, but an PhD of Pathology.  Site link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZUJhKUbd0k

I greatly appreciate Cambpells vids:   https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=campbells+virus+videos&docid=608017839520483773&mid=026FA413068B3EDC0B74026FA413068B3EDC0B74&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Both Vid-makers try to be non-partisan, and apolitical.  They try to stick to acknowledged facts.

This virus, whatever its' origin, is NOT the common Flu.  It seems more intense, and afflicts the elderly, and those with other diseases (co-morbidities) worse than some other age groups.  This is NOT to say that a given person cannot get sick, and die from the virus, but it seems that many people have already had it, and for those people, it was not a big deal.  

Barring a vaccine, it seems likely that a good many people will eventually contract the virus.  This is "normal"  in the course of any communicable disease.  This particular virus seems to be very transmissible/communicable because the infected person does not realize they are ill for some time, but during that time, they are capable of infecting many others.

It seems to me that the most vulnerable, namely the elderly and those with pertinent co-morbidities, will need to take significant precautions against getting the virus for quite some time.  Of course, younger people probably don't want to get sick--and perhaps die-- but the stats are very much in their favor, compared to some other people.

The way this virus will "go away"--and it will, eventually-- since it seems to be mutating very slowly, if at all, is either by mass inoculation, of by what the Meds call "Herd Immunity".  This term means that when about 80% of the "herd" is immune (for any reason) to the disease, the other 20% are virtually safe from contracting it.  NOT totally, but it becomes very unlikely.

I'm not so sure I want to be first in line to get a vaccine whose development was rushed.  YMMV, and all that.

Here's the bottom line:  All this "Lock-Down" business , up to this point, has probably been necessary for the Medical community to "ramp-up" their facilities/ medicines/treatments/protocols/etc. for when the "lock-down" has to be relieved, lest the economy crash and burn.  The "Lock-Down" has not saved any lives, Period.  The "Lock-Down" has done what was intended:  Provide time for the medical system to ramp-up.  There WILL be an increase in severely ill people once the economy begins to re-open, and hopefully the Med facilities and so forth will not be over-taxed.  The unfortunate reality is that most people will be likely to get the virus, regardless of all the measures they take against doing so.  At some future point, contracting the virus will be very uncommon, depending on immunization/immunity, but a possibility, nevertheless.

The sad truth, so far, is that once people are so ill as to require respirators, the mortality rate is a little over 50% for them, and they linger on for a long time, consuming extraordinary resources.

Oh, yes, the Medical community is very rightly concerned about triage as concerns Virus patients.  Imagine the risk a Dr. would take when he/she says that  patient "A" has been on a scarce respirator for 4 weeks with no improvement, and that usually means they will eventually die. Meanwhile, some new guy needs the respirator, and he might have a better chance of survival.  Pretty risky to pull the plug, in that scenario.  Tough choice, under the best of conditions.  Now one can see why so many ventilators are being demanded.  Not because the use of such guarantees recovery.  The availability of ventilators means that MDs don't incur risks.  I understand their concerns; If I were an MD faced with such a choice, it would be a difficult decision.

So, being what some would call elderly, I plan on observing reasonable protocols that will protect me for quite some time.  Stats tell me this is sensible.  Others need to decide for themselves what level of risk they are prepared to run.

YMMV, of course, and If I am wrong in any of my statements, PLEASE inform me/us!   Apologize for rambling a bit.  I have a cracked tooth, and dentists being in short supply at the moment, I have to deal with a certain level of pain, which raises hell with my logical facilities.  I beg
View Quote
Hepa filters are not the best choice, this is from shop vac.

But not so fast: Manufacturers of HEPA vacuum bags warn against repurposing their products for use in coronavirus masks.

Shop-Vac, a leading wet/dry vacuum maker, has posted a statement on its website saying its HEPA vacuum bags "are in no way designed or intended to protect humans from bacteria, viruses or other pathogens," and cautioning that "direct contact or coverage of the human mouth or nose with the filter materials are strictly forbidden for any purpose."

Part of the reason is that most HEPA filters are composed of microscopic glass fibers, which can be harmful to the lungs if inhaled. There are vacuum bags made without glass fibers, but these are "micro-filters," not HEPA filters, which only block particles 2 microns in size.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/scarves-hepa-filters-kind-face-covering-best-bet/story?id=70058603

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mcooper:
Once things settle down we will see good n95 masks for sale.

I got 3m 6800 and 6700 “gas masks” and half face mask respirators for my wife and I; we are medical . We use p100 plastic cased filters. They have a better seal then n95’s and filter better than the p95 and I can sanitize the parts of the filter I would touch after digging, then do hand hygiene.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcooper:
Once things settle down we will see good n95 masks for sale.

I got 3m 6800 and 6700 “gas masks” and half face mask respirators for my wife and I; we are medical . We use p100 plastic cased filters. They have a better seal then n95’s and filter better than the p95 and I can sanitize the parts of the filter I would touch after digging, then do hand hygiene.  

This is where I think a better value is in viral protection.  The n95 mask still has their place, but for daily, general-use, some experts are saying that may not necessarily be a good thing:

As for the scientific support for the use of face mask, a recent careful examination of the literature, in which 17 of the best studies were analyzed, concluded that, “ None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.”1   Keep in mind, no studies have been done to demonstrate that either a cloth mask or the N95 mask has any effect on transmission of the COVID-19 virus. Any recommendations, therefore, have to be based on studies of influenza virus transmission. And, as you have seen, there is no conclusive evidence of their efficiency in controlling flu virus transmission.

It is also instructive to know that until recently, the CDC did not recommend wearing a face mask or covering of any kind, unless a person was known to be infected, that is, until recently. Non-infected people need not wear a mask. When a person has TB we have them wear a mask, not the entire community of non-infected. The recommendations by the CDC and the WHO are not based on any studies of this virus and have never been used to contain any other virus pandemic or epidemic in history.

Newer evidence suggests that in some cases the virus can enter the brain.11,12 In most instances it enters the brain by way of the olfactory nerves (smell nerves), which connect directly with the area of the brain dealing with recent memory and memory consolidation. By wearing a mask, the exhaled viruses will not be able to escape and will concentrate in the nasal passages, enter the olfactory nerves and travel into the brain.13 -

...researchers examined the blood oxygen levels in 53 surgeons using an oximeter. They measured blood oxygenation before surgery as well as at the end of surgeries.4 The researchers found that the mask reduced the blood oxygen levels (pa02) significantly. The longer the duration of wearing the mask, the greater the fall in blood oxygen levels.

The importance of these findings is that a drop in oxygen levels (hypoxia) is associated with an impairment in immunity. Studies have shown that hypoxia can inhibit the type of main immune cells used to fight viral infections called the CD4+ T-lymphocyte. This occurs because the hypoxia increases the level of a compound called hypoxia inducible factor-1 (HIF-1), which inhibits T-lymphocytes and stimulates a powerful immune inhibitor cell called the Tregs. . This sets the stage for contracting any infection, including COVID-19 and making the consequences of that infection much graver. In essence, your mask may very well put you at an increased risk of infections and if so, having a much worse outcome.5,6,7 - Russell Blaylock, MD

I'm not saying don't wear a mask if you're feel you're infected or at risk, but just some contradictory data about general or sustained use of masks...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#20]
so far, I have not worn a mask during this 'rona supposed crisis.  I have two 20 count boxes of US made N95 masks.  I did give away another box to friends and family that thought they needed one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Mannlicher:
so far, I have not worn a mask during this 'rona supposed crisis.  I have two 20 count boxes of US made N95 masks.  I did give away another box to friends and family that thought they needed one.
View Quote

The big issue is that most work places and certain businesses require masks (and some even require gloves).  I work on an NSA campus which now requires a mask for entrance.  My wife is helping out this last week of school where parents/kids are scheduled to come in and drop off books and clear out their lockers at her middle school.  They require the teachers helping to wear mask and gloves.  I finally made it in for a haircut...needed a mask.  I may think it's pointless, but if required it's either cut your own hair, or lose your job.  N95 is pointless, but they're at least worth my job.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:15:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

The big issue is that most work places and certain businesses require masks (and some even require gloves).  I work on an NSA campus which now requires a mask for entrance.  My wife is helping out this last week of school where parents/kids are scheduled to come in and drop off books and clear out their lockers at her middle school.  They require the teachers helping to wear mask and gloves.  I finally made it in for a haircut...needed a mask.  I may think it's pointless, but if required it's either cut your own hair, or lose your job.  N95 is pointless, but they're at least worth my job.

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mannlicher:
so far, I have not worn a mask during this 'rona supposed crisis.  I have two 20 count boxes of US made N95 masks.  I did give away another box to friends and family that thought they needed one.

The big issue is that most work places and certain businesses require masks (and some even require gloves).  I work on an NSA campus which now requires a mask for entrance.  My wife is helping out this last week of school where parents/kids are scheduled to come in and drop off books and clear out their lockers at her middle school.  They require the teachers helping to wear mask and gloves.  I finally made it in for a haircut...needed a mask.  I may think it's pointless, but if required it's either cut your own hair, or lose your job.  N95 is pointless, but they're at least worth my job.

ROCK6

There is no evidence masks take lives and much evidence they save lives.  If something so simple can help the community then we should do it for the community.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:50:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Dace:
There is no evidence masks take lives and much evidence they save lives.  If something so simple can help the community then we should do it for the community.
View Quote

Even according to the CDC, the WHO and other experts, there's no evidence they help with this particular viral issue either (as evidenced with studies using influenza since there are no conclusive studies with COVID 19)...there is evidence that tighter fitting masks worn over long periods can exacerbate other respiratory issues and affect one's immune system.  I'm just pointing out that science is never a closed door and some recommendations come with risks.  And careful on what is determined as "simple" for the safety of a community...we all know how that can get abused and where it leads.  It seems to me wearing a mask isn't saving lives as much as it's saving face for the virtue signalers...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#24]
N95 will be hard to get for awhile. My department is treating them like narcotics and tracking what was used per call. I have had north/Honeywell 5500 respirators and p100 filters before and I see those are available again and near normal prices. So I've gotten more of those for use and family at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Even according to the CDC, the WHO and other experts, there's no evidence they help with this particular viral issue either (as evidenced with studies using influenza since there are no conclusive studies with COVID 19)...there is evidence that tighter fitting masks worn over long periods can exacerbate other respiratory issues and affect one's immune system.  I'm just pointing out that science is never a closed door and some recommendations come with risks.  And careful on what is determined as "simple" for the safety of a community...we all know how that can get abused and where it leads.  It seems to me wearing a mask isn't saving lives as much as it's saving face for the virtue signalers...

ROCK6
View All Quotes
There is no evidence masks take lives and much evidence they save lives.  If something so simple can help the community then we should do it for the community.

Even according to the CDC, the WHO and other experts, there's no evidence they help with this particular viral issue either (as evidenced with studies using influenza since there are no conclusive studies with COVID 19)...there is evidence that tighter fitting masks worn over long periods can exacerbate other respiratory issues and affect one's immune system.  I'm just pointing out that science is never a closed door and some recommendations come with risks.  And careful on what is determined as "simple" for the safety of a community...we all know how that can get abused and where it leads.  It seems to me wearing a mask isn't saving lives as much as it's saving face for the virtue signalers...

ROCK6

Sorry but you are wrong about there not being evidence they help and little to no evidence they hurt.  The preponderance of evidence suggests they help so why not take such a simple step to help the community? I suggest we take it to GD where the discussion on the back and forth on masks is happening.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#26]
You know what we used for masks 40 years ago dealing with biological weapons grade bugs?  

Cloth, double ply about a 400 thread count. We'd then wash them and use them over and over again.  

Let me try to explain this in N95 terms.  A manufacturer to get an N95 stamp sends a sample of his masks off to a qualification lab where it must pass a 0.3 micron filtration rate.  The pay big bucks, then get the stamp.  

Now here's the kicker, this particular Corona virus is only 0.13 microns well over half the size to go right through an 95 mask so what good is it?  OK here goes, what that means is for your disposable mask to work over time, you must dispose of it.  Otherwise what we're really doing is blocking water droplets from a sneeze which is estimated at 300 microns.  

Make your self a two ply 400 thread count, plete the ourside layer so it both breathes better and filters better then you can wash it hundreds of times and not depend on China and China quality paper masks.  You really think China is making those masks last one like the first one right now?

Tj
View Quote

an N95 filters below 0.3 microns. Here is a chart

Attachment Attached File

ETA: I see it has already been covered. with a better chart

and the COVID-19 causing virus is 195 nanometers
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry but you are wrong about there not being evidence they help and little to no evidence they hurt.  The preponderance of evidence suggests they help so why not take such a simple step to help the community? I suggest we take it to GD where the discussion on the back and forth on masks is happening.
View Quote

It's not about right or wrong, it's just that the data is controversial, the "experts" a few weeks ago said masks for the public were unnecessary; now they say they're necessary...I just find it odd and that any study which may contradict the "expert opinion of the week" is downplayed or ignored.  There is no preponderance of evidence, yet there is contradictory evidence.  The same about the arbitrary "six foot" rule; it's simply conjecture without any data to support.  There have been tests of sneeze droplets traveling as much as 26-27 feet.  Heck the "experts" still don't have solid answers on how SARS-CoV-2 is even spread.  I'm okay with "good practices", but mask efficacy is simply conjecture...if you are symptomatic, you don't need a mask, you need to isolate yourself.  If you're at risk, you need to take your own protective precautions.  I'm not against someone feeling they need to wear a mask (again, I ask if they're symptomatic or at risk, the mask is not the right answer); I'm against the virtue signaling of mask that have not proven effective for this virus, yet there is data that says wearing a mask can be detrimental for long term use.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

But not so fast: Manufacturers of HEPA vacuum bags warn against repurposing their products for use in coronavirus masks.

Shop-Vac, a leading wet/dry vacuum maker, has posted a statement on its website saying its HEPA vacuum bags "are in no way designed or intended to protect humans from bacteria, viruses or other pathogens," and cautioning that "direct contact or coverage of the human mouth or nose with the filter materials are strictly forbidden for any purpose."

Part of the reason is that most HEPA filters are composed of microscopic glass fibers, which can be harmful to the lungs if inhaled. There are vacuum bags made without glass fibers, but these are "micro-filters," not HEPA filters, which only block particles 2 microns in size.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/scarves-hepa-filters-kind-face-covering-best-bet/story?id=70058603

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV, of course, and If I am wrong in any of my statements, PLEASE inform me/us!   Apologize for rambling a bit.  I have a cracked tooth, and dentists being in short supply at the moment, I have to deal with a certain level of pain, which raises hell with my logical facilities.  I beg

I understand.  Not being an expert, it might be possible to sear the edges of such home-made vacuum-cleaner bag HEPA filters to eliminate/reduce the infiltration of toxic fibers.  In most masks, such filters are encapsulated by filter-holders, which capture the filters around their edges, and exclude the edges of such filters from being part of the air-path.  Again, NO expert, but very carefully cutting such home-made filters, searing their edges, and having the edges of such filters captured by the filter-holders might be OK.

Again, I have NO idea whether this practice will be effective against anything.  Do this at your own risk.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#29]
The reason why many/most public health authorities say to wear a mask is to reduce the probability of the infected person, who is wearing a mask, from infecting others.  

Let's get one thing straight, OK?  There are very few masks, other than a full-face gas mask, with appropriate filters, that will prevent the wearer from becoming infected by a virus--any virus-- through the eyes and nose/mouth.

Once you get home, plan to go through some elaborate decontamination procedures.

Hospital workers, working in virus situations, optimally have positive-pressure suits, with externally filtered air supply.

The WHOLE thing about wearing face masks is to reduce the likelihood of the non-infected person from becoming infected by a mask-wearing infected person.

If some guy, who has the virus, sneezes in your direction, and you're wearing a common fabric face mask, guess what?  Your eyes, being a huge liquid membrane, are likely to get a dose of the virus.  That's why hospital workers wear face plates, and use positive pressure suits.

Now, being a part of the populace which seems very much at risk (like dying) from this rather nasty virus, I plan on staying DAMN well away from non-masked people.  I recommend the same practice to you all, no matter what your personal situation.  This virus is rather nasty, and has some longstanding consequences.

Now, the economy MUST be re-started.  Doing so will no doubt result in further virus infections, no matter what precautions are taken.  Unfortunately, some casualties must be taken.  I regret saying so, but there is no way around it, unless we accept economic collapse as an alternative.  I don't think most will want to consider this as a viable alternative.

What the current "lock-down" efforts have done is to allow our health care facilities, and PPE mfrs to "ramp-up" to accept such future casualties without being overwhelmed.  Pure and simple.  I don't like it, but there it is.  Re-opening the economy WILL involve increased virus cases.  Period.

I tried to inform my "college friends" Zoom conference about this, and got hooted-down as a doomsayer.  Unfortunately, I think I'm right, and they're ignorant.  Time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong.  

This virus is sort of like the 1918 virus, and we have no guarantee that it will "go away" as soon as that virus did.  

I am certainly no Medical Doctor, but what I'm saying is based on advice from same. I admit I could be wrong, and will be overjoyed to hear so, if credible.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By raf:

The reason why many/most public health authorities say to wear a mask is to reduce the probability of the infected person, who is wearing a mask, from infecting others.  

Let's get one thing straight, OK?  There are very few masks, other than a full-face gas mask, with appropriate filters, that will prevent the wearer from becoming infected by a virus--any virus-- through the eyes and nose/mouth.

Once you get home, plan to go through some elaborate decontamination procedures.

Hospital workers, working in virus situations, optimally have positive-pressure suits, with externally filtered air supply.

The WHOLE thing about wearing face masks is to reduce the likelihood of the non-infected person from becoming infected by a mask-wearing infected person.

If some guy, who has the virus, sneezes in your direction, and you're wearing a common fabric face mask, guess what?  Your eyes, being a huge liquid membrane, are likely to get a dose of the virus.  That's why hospital workers wear face plates, and use positive pressure suits.

Now, being a part of the populace which seems very much at risk (like dying) from this rather nasty virus, I plan on staying DAMN well away from non-masked people.  I recommend the same practice to you all, no matter what your personal situation.  This virus is rather nasty, and has some longstanding consequences.

Now, the economy MUST be re-started.  Doing so will no doubt result in further virus infections, no matter what precautions are taken.  Unfortunately, some casualties must be taken.  I regret saying so, but there is no way around it, unless we accept economic collapse as an alternative.  I don't think most will want to consider this as a viable alternative.

What the current "lock-down" efforts have done is to allow our health care facilities, and PPE mfrs to "ramp-up" to accept such future casualties without being overwhelmed.  Pure and simple.  I don't like it, but there it is.  Re-opening the economy WILL involve increased virus cases.  Period.

I tried to inform my "college friends" Zoom conference about this, and got hooted-down as a doomsayer.  Unfortunately, I think I'm right, and they're ignorant.  Time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong.   

This virus is sort of like the 1918 virus, and we have no guarantee that it will "go away" as soon as that virus did.  

I am certainly no Medical Doctor, but what I'm saying is based on advice from same. I admit I could be wrong, and will be overjoyed to hear so, if credible.  YMMV.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Apparently Jerry was right too on toilet paper and disease (1st vid) and Chad got it right on a lockdown by the government and the need to escape your home (2nd vid).

Every Detail | Doomsday Preppers

Tunnel Time | Doomsday Preppers
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Tj
View Quote

0.3 is the LOWEST filtration efficiency. Due to electrostatic charges on the blown poly material, smaller particles are filtered more effectively than 0.3 micron particles.

eta: already been covered in graphical form by other posters
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#33]

The reason why many/most public health authorities say to wear a mask is to reduce the probability of the infected person, who is wearing a mask, from infecting others.  

Let's get one thing straight, OK?  There are very few masks, other than a full-face gas mask, with appropriate filters, that will prevent the wearer from becoming infected by a virus--any virus-- through the eyes and nose/mouth.

Once you get home, plan to go through some elaborate decontamination procedures.

Hospital workers, working in virus situations, optimally have positive-pressure suits, with externally filtered air supply.

The WHOLE thing about wearing face masks is to reduce the likelihood of the non-infected person from becoming infected by a mask-wearing infected person.

If some guy, who has the virus, sneezes in your direction, and you're wearing a common fabric face mask, guess what?  Your eyes, being a huge liquid membrane, are likely to get a dose of the virus.  That's why hospital workers wear face plates, and use positive pressure suits.

Now, being a part of the populace which seems very much at risk (like dying) from this rather nasty virus, I plan on staying DAMN well away from non-masked people.  I recommend the same practice to you all, no matter what your personal situation.  This virus is rather nasty, and has some longstanding consequences.

Now, the economy MUST be re-started.  Doing so will no doubt result in further virus infections, no matter what precautions are taken.  Unfortunately, some casualties must be taken.  I regret saying so, but there is no way around it, unless we accept economic collapse as an alternative.  I don't think most will want to consider this as a viable alternative.

What the current "lock-down" efforts have done is to allow our health care facilities, and PPE mfrs to "ramp-up" to accept such future casualties without being overwhelmed.  Pure and simple.  I don't like it, but there it is.  Re-opening the economy WILL involve increased virus cases.  Period.

I tried to inform my "college friends" Zoom conference about this, and got hooted-down as a doomsayer.  Unfortunately, I think I'm right, and they're ignorant.  Time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong.   

This virus is sort of like the 1918 virus, and we have no guarantee that it will "go away" as soon as that virus did.  

I am certainly no Medical Doctor, but what I'm saying is based on advice from same. I admit I could be wrong, and will be overjoyed to hear so, if credible.  YMMV.
View All Quotes

Reasonable assessment and plan of action.  I'm not discounting that masks (even poorly made ones) may very well help reduce the projections of one's vapors, and if they are asymptomatic, it might very well be beneficial.  My whole point of other studies is that masks "may" not be beneficial to those with asthma, allergies or other respiratory health issues if they don't allow enough airflow, and if worn for long periods (tighter fitting masks) have shown to cause hypoxia, which is associated with an impairment in immunity.  I do find the studies that say "wearing a mask, the exhaled viruses will not be able to escape and will concentrate in the nasal passages, enter the olfactory nerves and travel into the brain", interesting, but there is nothing conclusive that I've been able to find.  Just some food for thought...and something to consider for future requirements of masks be they simple coverings or full respirators.  

There is another danger to wearing these masks on a daily basis, especially if worn for several hours. When a person is infected with a respiratory virus, they will expel some of the virus with each breath. If they are wearing a mask, especially an N95 mask or other tightly fitting mask, they will be constantly rebreathing the viruses, raising the concentration of the virus in the lungs and the nasal passages. We know that people who have the worst reactions to the coronavirus have the highest concentrations of the virus early on. And this leads to the deadly cytokine storm in a selected number.

Most here understand the purpose and use of a simple N95 mask and it's weaknesses.  Just about everyone I talk to about the mask say it's to help stop the spread, BUT they also think it's to protect themselves as well...that's the fallacy that will get people in trouble and allow someone who knows they're symptomatic to ignore more effective precautions.

Even while escaping vapor studies show that some form of mouth/nose covering will help prevent distance projections, there is still some escaping vapors even with the N95 mask.  If masks are worn for their intended purpose, they simply aren't the panacea of prevention or spreading this particular virus.  If you are at risk, there are many other aspects to consider (gloves, frequent hand washing, more attention to distance and avoidance, etc.).  

Again, I'm not saying masks are useless, just understand their limitations, they may not be the best long-term option for many, and they may even have drawbacks if worn for extended periods.  Just like the "experts" who at one point said eggs, coffee, and salt are all bad for your health, other studies had vastly different findings...parsing the facts for truth is somewhere in the middle.  Survivalist beware...do your own research, make your own assessments for your situation, and mitigate the risk as much as possible for your own decisions.  

ROCK6      

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Reasonable assessment and plan of action.  I'm not discounting that masks (even poorly made ones) may very well help reduce the projections of one's vapors, and if they are asymptomatic, it might very well be beneficial.  My whole point of other studies is that masks "may" not be beneficial to those with asthma, allergies or other respiratory health issues if they don't allow enough airflow, and if worn for long periods (tighter fitting masks) have shown to cause hypoxia, which is associated with an impairment in immunity.  I do find the studies that say "wearing a mask, the exhaled viruses will not be able to escape and will concentrate in the nasal passages, enter the olfactory nerves and travel into the brain", interesting, but there is nothing conclusive that I've been able to find.  Just some food for thought...and something to consider for future requirements of masks be they simple coverings or full respirators.  

Most here understand the purpose and use of a simple N95 mask and it's weaknesses.  Just about everyone I talk to about the mask say it's to help stop the spread, BUT they also think it's to protect themselves as well...that's the fallacy that will get people in trouble and allow someone who knows they're symptomatic to ignore more effective precautions.

Even while escaping vapor studies show that some form of mouth/nose covering will help prevent distance projections, there is still some escaping vapors even with the N95 mask.  If masks are worn for their intended purpose, they simply aren't the panacea of prevention or spreading this particular virus.  If you are at risk, there are many other aspects to consider (gloves, frequent hand washing, more attention to distance and avoidance, etc.).  

Again, I'm not saying masks are useless, just understand their limitations, they may not be the best long-term option for many, and they may even have drawbacks if worn for extended periods.  Just like the "experts" who at one point said eggs, coffee, and salt are all bad for your health, other studies had vastly different findings...parsing the facts for truth is somewhere in the middle.  Survivalist beware...do your own research, make your own assessments for your situation, and mitigate the risk as much as possible for your own decisions.  

ROCK6      

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reason why many/most public health authorities say to wear a mask is to reduce the probability of the infected person, who is wearing a mask, from infecting others.  

Let's get one thing straight, OK?  There are very few masks, other than a full-face gas mask, with appropriate filters, that will prevent the wearer from becoming infected by a virus--any virus-- through the eyes and nose/mouth.

Once you get home, plan to go through some elaborate decontamination procedures.

Hospital workers, working in virus situations, optimally have positive-pressure suits, with externally filtered air supply.

The WHOLE thing about wearing face masks is to reduce the likelihood of the non-infected person from becoming infected by a mask-wearing infected person.

If some guy, who has the virus, sneezes in your direction, and you're wearing a common fabric face mask, guess what?  Your eyes, being a huge liquid membrane, are likely to get a dose of the virus.  That's why hospital workers wear face plates, and use positive pressure suits.

Now, being a part of the populace which seems very much at risk (like dying) from this rather nasty virus, I plan on staying DAMN well away from non-masked people.  I recommend the same practice to you all, no matter what your personal situation.  This virus is rather nasty, and has some longstanding consequences.

Now, the economy MUST be re-started.  Doing so will no doubt result in further virus infections, no matter what precautions are taken.  Unfortunately, some casualties must be taken.  I regret saying so, but there is no way around it, unless we accept economic collapse as an alternative.  I don't think most will want to consider this as a viable alternative.

What the current "lock-down" efforts have done is to allow our health care facilities, and PPE mfrs to "ramp-up" to accept such future casualties without being overwhelmed.  Pure and simple.  I don't like it, but there it is.  Re-opening the economy WILL involve increased virus cases.  Period.

I tried to inform my "college friends" Zoom conference about this, and got hooted-down as a doomsayer.  Unfortunately, I think I'm right, and they're ignorant.  Time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong.  

This virus is sort of like the 1918 virus, and we have no guarantee that it will "go away" as soon as that virus did.  

I am certainly no Medical Doctor, but what I'm saying is based on advice from same. I admit I could be wrong, and will be overjoyed to hear so, if credible.  YMMV.

There is another danger to wearing these masks on a daily basis, especially if worn for several hours. When a person is infected with a respiratory virus, they will expel some of the virus with each breath. If they are wearing a mask, especially an N95 mask or other tightly fitting mask, they will be constantly rebreathing the viruses, raising the concentration of the virus in the lungs and the nasal passages. We know that people who have the worst reactions to the coronavirus have the highest concentrations of the virus early on. And this leads to the deadly cytokine storm in a selected number.

ROCK6      

I think we concur, Rock6.   As a member of the "at-risk" cohort, I wear the usual, paper N95 masks when I am out in public, which is very infrequently.  I perform the (now) customary de-contamination of items brought into the house.

If it became necessary, and Heaven help us if such is necessary, we have N95 silicone masks, filters for such, and reasonable eye-shields.  If need be, we have gas masks, but if things get that bad, I will entirely restrict my travels outside my house, as ancillary decontamination measures will be prohibitively difficult/problematic.  We have plenty of stored food, and we have been careful to augment some things that seemed to getting scarce.  

We were fortunate in that we had plenty of un-scented bleach, and pool shock, before the Covid 19 outbreak.  I was also quite fortunate in the advanced timing of obtaining some other related supplies just before they dried-up.

I visited my dentist today, on account of a painful broken tooth.  I had spoken to her about some basic prep measures a few months ago.  She thanked me profusely for my suggesting purchasing some elemental things that she was able to obtain before the items became unavailable.

All I could say was:  "You're welcome.  That's what friends do for one another."

And that's what we do here, in this forum, pretty much.

My sources for my information--and my suggestions to her are two YouTube sites.  I don't know how these sites popped up on my YouTube suggestions, while using my Xbox as an internet access, but they appeared many months ago.  First is https://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisMartensondotcom.  PP has been spot-on in the last few months, and the author, Dr. Martenson, has a PhD in Pathology.  Initially I thought him a bit pessimistic, but after he was proven right week after week, I became convinced that he was providing reliable, factual, apolitical information.  I acted accordingly, and very glad I was ahead of the curve, so to speak.  See for yourself, and make a point to go BACK in time to review his previous posts.

The other source is the UK Dr. Campbell.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9IOB2TExg3QIBupFtBDxg

He is also non-political, and very informative.  He also appeared on my YouTube suggestions about the same time as Peak Prosperity, and I'm glad for that.  He provides a strictly fact-based review of current info, and so both my sources tend to be self-correcting, which is extremely important.
I'm sure others have Covid 19 "Gurus" but I was fortunate enough to find both these pretty reliable sources very early on, and so benefit from their suggestions before supplies of certain items dried-up.  Maybe there are better, and if so, please give links.

I am at a loss to understand how both these YouTube people somehow managed to find their way onto my TV screen.  I had not made any previous search for Covid 19 topics, as I recall.

Perhaps it is just me, but along with the usual ups and downs of life, there have occurred, in my life, certain unaccountable instances of blind, stupid pure LUCK on my part, and following them, allowed me to avoid serious pitfalls.  Perhaps others might have also noticed such in their lives.  I might also that I've done many foolish things during my life which I have come to regret, in retrospect.  Even so, the pluses far outweigh the minuses, for me at least.

Not saying anything religious.  Not the forum for it, and don't want to start a ruckus.

I sure hope my "luck" holds out.  I have outlived many of my contemporaries, even though I don't consider myself "old".

I think I will have an increased trust in my "luck" as time goes by.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I gave most of mine away to Neighboor health care folks that poorly planned, for their personal use.  I’m at eight I believe and have no resupply in sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top