Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2019 1:23:07 PM EDT
As the subject states, I am getting larva in my 8 gallon plastic dome waterer and would like to stop this from happening.

Anyone had this issue? What did you do about it?

waterer I'm using
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Drain & refill.

Research time from egg to skeeters, &/or call your county agent.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Bleach will kill them for sure
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Apple Cider Vinegar maybe? Supposedly beneficial to the birds too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Put a mint or spearmint plant next to the watering device.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Are they in the dome itself? Or the little tray the water goes into?
I have a different type and it fills up with mosquitoes regularly in the tank. But since they are inside the mosquitoes are trapped in the top it's basically a giant death trap.
I try to drain it and refill it every 3 days during mosquito season though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they in the dome itself? Or the little tray the water goes into?
I have a different type and it fills up with mosquitoes regularly in the tank. But since they are inside the mosquitoes are trapped in the top it's basically a giant death trap.
I try to drain it and refill it every 3 days during mosquito season though.
View Quote
Both the trough / bowl and in the tank. You are absolutely correct once they make it up into the tank it's a great trap, but I know there has to be some amount that end up making it full cycle in the bowl and escape to feed and breed furthering the problem. I switched to this big waterer a few months ago because I'm lazy and after about 8yrs of using 2gal metal waterers I broke down and bought this thing so I could go a week before refills, made travel easier too as I don't need someone to check on the chickens every single day. Didn't anticipate this.

I'm not wanting to use chemicals, the ACV might be something I'll try. I have been bouncing around the interweb looking at options. I might end up looking into the horizontal watering nipples.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have wondered if a tsp of mineral oil in the tank wouldn't coat the surface and have a detrimental effect on them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Switch to a bucket with a lid and drinker nipples?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Switch to a bucket with a lid and drinker nipples?
View Quote
Or auto-filling bowls.  We use these and a homer bucket with lid.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I use 5 gallon buckets with a gamma seal tops and horizontal nipples.  That method keeps anything from getting in.

I also drill the top for a 2" rubber stopper so that in winter I can drop in an aquarium heater to keep the water from freezing
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#11]
A few drops of chlorox will keep them out.  Its similar to treated tap water
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 1:47:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Mosquito Dunks

The EPA has registered Mosquito Dunks® for use in animal watering troughs and fish habitats. More recently the Dunks® have been approved for use Organic Production and Gardening, under the National Organic Program guidelines.
View Quote
The granulated version ("Mosquito Bits") is a little easier to dispense in measured quantities.

Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Plug the bottom, drill and screw in some water nipples.

Eliminates the standing water, the likely resulting messy water bowl, the mosquitoes and the evaporation losses.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#14]
An old timer once told me that tossing barley into the water will kill the larvae, but I never tested it myself.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I used some chlorine free bleach (I think it's mostly hydrogen peroxide) and it seems to be working.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mosquito Dunks

The granulated version ("Mosquito Bits") is a little easier to dispense in measured quantities.

https://www.summitchemical.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/117_6_MB_30_30ozMosquitoBitsFR_clip_4x5_300_1109FAKE.jpg
View Quote
This.

Also add barley straw. It's not for skeeters, just keeps the water clear.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mosquito Dunks

https://www.summitchemical.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/117_6_MB_30_30ozMosquitoBitsFR_clip_4x5_300_1109FAKE.jpg
This.

I'm trying the Dunks. Picked some up when I bought layer pellets.

Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Never had that problem. We dunk a spoon or so of ACV during the summer months into the animal's water. Helps with parasites, so I assume mozzies as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top