Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MCSquared:

It's called a femptocell or a picocell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MCSquared:
Originally Posted By TexasSheepdog:

IIRC you can get mini cell towers/repeaters for the inside of your house from ATT etc if there is no cell coverage near by. It hooks up to your internet connection. So you could have cell coverage inside your dome/cage.

It's called a femptocell or a picocell.

Those micro cells are mostly going away in the industry.  Most were only 3G, which was better than no G.  With newer phones (iPhone7 and above, about anything Android which means Samsung) now supporting WiFi Calling, if you have a decent internet connection at the location you will still get calls/txts.  WiFi Calling is great, I now get phone calls in my PoleBarn which won't tune in radio stations because I have WiFi out there.

I too am waiting on PowerBall to kick in for my Monolithic Dome dreams.  I will have a 1000 acres with a Spring Fed Creek along the Little Piney River in mid MO.  I tease my wife when we drive by the 2 "boob" school buildings in Caledonia, MO.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JP_in_STL:

I too am waiting on PowerBall to kick in for my Monolithic Dome dreams.  I will have a 1000 acres with a Spring Fed Creek along the Little Piney River in mid MO.  I tease my wife when we drive by the 2 "boob" school buildings in Caledonia, MO.
View Quote

A thousand acres sounds nice.  Had a buddy just retire near Lebanon, MO.

Looks like there's now more than 2 boobs there:  https://goo.gl/maps/bjAyh6pmyAu1RRqHA
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

Looks like there's now more than 2 boobs there:  https://goo.gl/maps/bjAyh6pmyAu1RRqHA
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JP_in_STL:

I do not have 1000 acres currently, just a measly 10.  But when PowerBall kicks in . . . then it's game on!!    Lebanon area is nice.  I'm about an hr West of the STL Metro.  Southern MO is a great retirement area.  Usually very cheap property taxes and MO Income Tax is not terrible.  However if you have specific medical needs you might be 2-3hrs from it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 4:39:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#4]
Not monolithic, but lots of domes for sale in Aus:
https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-karalee-134205378
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JhWpEvmLws
View Quote

Didn’t that make the Kessel Run in 12 Parsecs?
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By OODA_Loop:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OODA_Loop:
Originally Posted By mPisi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JhWpEvmLws

I was saying it was the house versions of
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
How does one repair the exterior paint?  Just paint over?  What about punctures from bear claws?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
How does one repair the exterior paint?  Just paint over?  What about punctures from bear claws?
View Quote

On a monolithic dome?  You could repair it with spray foam and, yeah, just paint over it.  Someone here talked about using the same stuff that is used for truck bed liners to spray on the outside of domes.  That's very UV resistant and I want to say they estimated it would last a hundred years?

But you definitely want to keep the foam covered with paint or something, as it is sensitive to UV and will degrade in the sunlight.  The canvas that is left on it after construction will only last so long on its own.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Just saw that the inventor of monolithic domes passed:   https://monolithicdome.com/obituary-david-barney-south

I met him a few times and talked his ear off at some of the open houses they have every year in Italy, TX.  He didn't seem to get tired of talking about these domes.  When I first went there, I had a bunch of questions and he seemed to get fired up about someone else thinking about all the possibilities with these domes.  He showed me what he hoped was the next upgrade:  basalt rebar that would never rust.  

I hope the company keeps going strong.  These certainly aren't traditional, but I think they're a step towards the future of home construction.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 1:46:04 AM EDT
[#10]
If any yall are looking for a builder...here i am
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DomeBuilder:
View Quote

A state or general area would be a nice addition to your information.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:29:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DomeBuilder] [#12]
Originally Posted By lumper:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lumper:

Yes... northeast US and willing to travel.

Long time listener, first time caller here. To be honest this thread is what first opened my eyes to Monolithic structures over 10 years ago.

I'm currently in the middle of a 450sqft wheelchair accessible dome and on track to start spraying concrete in the next 2 weeks. Weather permitting... fingers crossed

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Yes... northeast US and willing to travel.

Long time listener, first time caller here. To be honest this thread is what first opened my eyes to Monolithic structures over 10 years ago.

I'm currently in the middle of a 450sqft wheelchair accessible dome and on track to start spraying concrete in the next 2 weeks. Weather permitting... fingers crossed

View Quote

Got any pics of your work?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Many pics, nothing quite as pretty or interesting as whats been posted however.

I'd be happy to share them with you over a call sometime.

PM sent
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Many pics, nothing quite as pretty or interesting as whats been posted however.

I'd be happy to share them with you over a call sometime.

PM sent
View Quote

I have no idea how you meant that, but it sounds like high pressure spam to me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:50:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DomeBuilder] [#16]

I have no idea how you meant that, but it sounds like high pressure spam to me.
View Quote

I didn't mean for it to sound like high pressure spam. Im not interested in sharing photos publicly right now is all.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#17]

I didn't mean for it to sound like high pressure spam. Im not interested in sharing photos publicly right now is all.
View Quote

That's totally understandable, and, to me, much more reasonable than announcing your business and that you're only going to share pics with people that call you.

Sorry, I'm sure I misinterpreted your meaning.

So, do you have any cool stories to share?  Any unique designs that you've built or have in mind?  How long have you been building bunkers?  What states have you built them in?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:10:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DomeBuilder] [#18]

That's totally understandable, and, to me, much more reasonable than announcing your business and that you're only going to share pics with people that call you.

Sorry, I'm sure I misinterpreted your meaning.

So, do you have any cool stories to share?  Any unique designs that you've built or have in mind?  How long have you been building bunkers?  What states have you built them in?
View Quote

Plenty of cool stories, glad to share over a call if you'd like.

I'm a new player in this field, so unfortunately I cannot provide the level of expertise that 1BB or Monolithic can, but im here. I admire the efficiencies of domes and enjoy the construction and challenges that come with it.

I left my cozy office job over a year ago with the intent to explore domes further and have been bootstrapping this project/business since.

I would like to focus on building a community of domes as low income rentals next. Within the next 5 years I would like to have a new workshop and have been tinkering with the idea of an ICF stemwall with a dome on top.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#19]
OST.  I am about to close on land for my BOL, and I am plotting a cabin of some type.  A monolithic dome is extremely interesting.

How do you handle the plumbing?  Just do the rough in before you pour the floor I guess?  How about electrical?  Do you put a conduit through the form before you spray on the concrete and hand the panel inside?

Can you really build one for $35/square foot?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I am buying a house in Desoto, fleeing my hoa in Seagoville.

I would like to put up a monolithic cabin,  but I can't see where to buy those anymore.   What would be the best way to go about it?

thanks!
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Dino:
I am buying a house in Desoto, fleeing my hoa in Seagoville.

I would like to put up a monolithic cabin,  but I can't see where to buy those anymore.   What would be the best way to go about it?

thanks!
View Quote

@Dino

http://www.monolithic.org

Right down the road from you (by Texas standards) in Italy, just look for the big caterpillar next to I-35. IIRC this guy or someone who worked there was an Arfcommer at one time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got a question for the builders/engineers/smart people that are here:  

I'm still years away from being able to build, but my girlfriend prefers the more traditional look of an ICF home over a dome.  I'm wondering what it would take to get an ICF home to compare to a dome in terms of two things:  1. Is it strong enough to withstand a tornado.  2.  Does it have the same energy savings (insulation/thermal mass).

I think domes are incredibly strong because of the shape, but the shape also doesn't give a tornado anything to grab on to.  We know this.  The question is whether an ICF home can also withstand a tornado.

The ICF insulates both sides of the concrete (while a dome has all the concrete inside the insulation), so I'm thinking that in order to get close to the efficiency in terms of heating/cooling, that an ICF home would have to add thermal mass inside the structure.  Lots of stone work?  Concrete work inside the home?  

Anybody know where these things have been compared?  Any engineers here that can offer any thoughts on these two aspects of construction?  Anyone have other thoughts on the differences between the two types of construction?

@1_BIG_BUNKER
@DomeBuilder
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Orion_Shall_Rise] [#23]
ICF is comparable to Domes I would say generally if it has a ICF roof.

Maybe actually superior as the concrete is thicker to resist penetration.

Either one the weak points will be doors and windows.

assuming you have a floor slab and any interior floor can be litedeck etc, there will still be alot of tons of thermal mass.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's a project with a more traditional looking stemwall. They formed it with 8'x8' panels on the exterior and you can see the cross section at the bottom of the shell complete page.

My understanding is the curve of the roof plays a substantial part towards its high wind resistance. ICF has around an R20 value vs the R7 per inch of closed cell foam, and both a shotcrete/ICF/combined design are capable of meeting the structural requirements of the project.

Shell complete
home complete

@DaTrueDave
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a project with a more traditional looking stemwall. They formed it with 8'x8' panels on the exterior and you can see the cross section at the bottom of the shell complete page.

My understanding is the curve of the roof plays a substantial part towards its high wind resistance. ICF has around an R20 value vs the R7 per inch of closed cell foam, and both a shotcrete/ICF/combined design are capable of meeting the structural requirements of the project.

Shell complete
home complete

@DaTrueDave
View Quote

Yeah, the dome shape is definitely, well, more aerodynamic.  I just wonder if a square bunker is good enough to withstand a tornado.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#26]
It depends on a lot of factors.  The exact dimensions, materials, foundation, and probably most importantly what kind of tornado...
Weather isn't a yes/no thing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Also, this thread was mentioned in a GD discussion about tornado-proof homes:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Tornado-Proof-Home-/5-2625328/?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Riter:
View Quote

Monolithic just wrote an article about recoating a dome, and they now recommend acrylic coatings as the best bang for your buck.  Evidently the truck bed liner doesn't last as long as advertised?

https://www.monolithic.com/recoating-due-sorelle
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm wondering if anyone has tried aircrete in building a dome. It has insulative properties, but not sure if it could be blown in like shotcrete.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 2:43:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I came across an interesting article on using a Quanset hut as the basis instead of a dome form and then using rebar and shotcrete.   Anyone ever heard of that?
I would be burying it and using it as my final home I would retire in.

Here is a video of one going up

30.1 Rebar and Shotcrete over the Quonset Hut

I'm going to head down to Italy to talk to the Monolithic guys in the spring, but I thought this was interesting.

Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top