Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
was just thinking about this thread... so bump

for those that have made it to open house, how was it?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It really sucks that all the picture links are dead.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 6:46:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaTrueDave] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By d13s3l:

View Quote
I've gone to the open house three times now.  Sometimes they have homeowners all over the world participate, sometimes they don't.

If you make it to their campus in Italy, TX, you'll see lots of domes:

It's a family run company and you'll see the founder's home (two domes connected with conventional construction and a nice covered backporch overlooking a pond and a system that catches water from the porch to use for irrigation).  You'll see the founder's son's family home which was just expanded with a second dome (connected by conventional construction.  A bedroom in the original dome was sacrificed for the expansion.).  You'll see a couple of other residential domes.  You'll see small domes built to be one bedroom rentals.  You'll see residential car garage domes.  You'll see residential storage "shed" domes.  You'll see massive manufacturing domes.  You'll see industrial garage domes.  You'll see office building domes and classroom domes.  You'll see domes connected with enclosed concrete walkways and domes that "overlap" to connect them (with large arches).  You'll see the different ways that windows can be put in the domes.  You'll see domes finished inside so they look only 8" tall, you'll see domes with high ceilings of the concrete dome, and you'll see domes that take advantage of the height to have a second floor.  You'll see domes that are just concrete with no insulation to serve as covered patios.  You'll see cabins that are premade there and can be trucked anywhere a truck can go.

It's well worth going if you're at all interested in this.

If you can't tell, I'm completely sold on this and am just waiting on the opportunity to purchase land so I can build.  I have no idea how many years that will take, since I want at least 50 acres!
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ZedsDeadBaby:
It really sucks that all the picture links are dead.
View Quote
I just went back and checked and they work for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
So does a monolithic dome have to incorporate an actual dome shape?

I'm thinking something more along the lines of an enclosed square courtyard with a flat-ish roof.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag for return to CONUS.

I would love to build something like this one day. I've always been fascinated by non-traditional construction techniques, ever since I was a kid, but have never really had any exposure to the practical side of it.

Desire to know more has intensified.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MCSquared:
I'm thinking something more along the lines of an enclosed square courtyard with a flat-ish roof.
View Quote
Why settle for a square when you can get a crouching lion?
Sorta a smaller not so angular version of this:

A balloon form is a balloon form... right?

Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MCSquared:
View Quote
Pretty sure that's where all the strength comes from.  But you can have a fairly shallow dome sitting on a stemwall.

Think about this on a smaller scale:
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
dome in hurrican michael

got bashed by a flying transformer, made a tiny hole when the neighbors house was torn apart, other then that fine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:12:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm still waiting on the Powerball to pick the numbers I bought  I got big plans for one of these buildings when I hit
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:
I've gone to the open house three times now.  Sometimes they have homeowners all over the world participate, sometimes they don't.

It's a family run company and you'll see the founder's home (two domes connected with conventional construction and a nice covered backporch overlooking a pond and a system that catches water from the porch to use for irrigation).  You'll see the founder's son's family home which was just expanded with a second dome (connected by conventional construction.  A bedroom in the original dome was sacrificed for the expansion.).  You'll see a couple of other residential domes.  You'll see small domes built to be one bedroom rentals.  You'll see residential car garage domes.  You'll see residential storage "shed" domes.  You'll see massive manufacturing domes.  You'll see industrial garage domes.  You'll see office building domes and classroom domes.  You'll see domes connected with enclosed concrete walkways and domes that "overlap" to connect them (with large arches).  You'll see the different ways that windows can be put in the domes.  You'll see domes finished inside so they look only 8" tall, you'll see domes with high ceilings of the concrete dome, and you'll see domes that take advantage of the height to have a second floor.  You'll see domes that are just concrete with no insulation to serve as covered patios.  You'll see cabins that are premade there and can be trucked anywhere a truck can go.

If you can't tell, I'm completely sold on this and am just waiting on the opportunity to purchase land so I can build.  I have no idea how many years that will take, since I want at least 50 acres!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You will also get a feel for acoustics in a concrete dome, working with round walls for furniture and cabinets and other things, some with stem walls and others without.  Well worth the trip.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TX_M1:

You will also get a feel for acoustics in a concrete dome, working with round walls for furniture and cabinets and other things, some with stem walls and others without.  Well worth the trip.
View Quote
Oh, yeah.  Very different.  And it's amazing what a foot or two of stem wall will do to change things, too!
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#13]
anything new?
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought this looked interesting.  It's not to my taste, but we've seen the large, shallow domes, and I like seeing this steep dome.  It gives you an idea of what you're able to do with a dome.

When I win the lottery, you're going to see my awesome idea.

https://www.monolithic.org/blogs/construction/construction-of-palapa-pineapple-dome-home-in-belize

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#15]
New dome-ish Airbnb opened up down the road from my mom.

Attachment Attached File

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/32011367
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#16]
now that's a potato pic
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#17]
bump

&
anyone hit powerball, so they can start their dome?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#19]

anyone hit powerball, so they can start their dome?
View Quote
I so wish...
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 7:38:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#20]
I thought this looked interesting.  It's not to my taste, but we've seen the large, shallow domes, and I like seeing this steep dome.  It gives you an idea of what you're able to do with a dome.

When I win the lottery, you're going to see my awesome idea

https://www.monolithic.org/vault/img/2019/05/16/5cddf48e543f6e9a4ccc80f8/small/spellings-dome-home-belize-10.jpg
View Quote
Except for that goofy gated front door, this has potential ... especially if it was anchored by a large subterranean section containing hallways and large rooms.

I know the picture is from Belize, but I was thinking of dryer and colder locations for such a structure ... Alaska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, ... maybe the U.P.?
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:03:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#21]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

Except for that goofy gated front door, this has potential ... especially if it was anchored by a large subterranean section containing hallways and large rooms.

I know the picture is from Belize, but I was thinking of dryer and colder locations for such a structure ... Alaska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, ... maybe the U.P.?
View Quote
I think the big gate is because the ground level is basically the garage.  Some of the coastal domes are built like that, so they can have storm surge through the bottom without damage.  ETA: I finally RTFA, maybe not a garage but built for water

I'm not a huge fan of stairs in something like that, although I do like a rooftop deck.  For domes I am a fan of the torus with the central secure courtyard.  But it is expensive in terms of material per square foot you get.  And I guess in a snowy climate you would get snow in there
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder how much it'd cost to sheath one in an inch or so of AR500...
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GreatDane:
I wonder how much it'd cost to sheath one in an inch or so of AR500...
View Quote
The concrete isn't bulletproof enough for you?
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow, this thread is marathon.

Txl
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:18:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaTrueDave] [#25]
So, I saw this is Amazon's Gold Box deal of the day ($125):  
Amazon Product
  • FIRST OF ITS KIND: The first battery-operated, digital radon detector. Monitor your home without the need for an outlet.
  • LONG TERM MONITORING: Monitor for cancer-causing radon gas. Long term monitoring is necessary as radon levels fluctuate daily.
  • FAST RESULTS: On-screen results show both long and short term readings, for a quick overview of your radon levels.

I don't know much about Radon, but, for some reason, I though it was associated with concrete foundations and basements.  Is this a bigger concern with domes than it is with traditional construction?
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I go to church in one in Kearney (Grace Fellowship) and it's massive. If it was a home it would be huge. I play on the worship team and the acoustics are very odd I will tell you that for sure. They've told me they have some humidity issues to deal with from time to time but overall it is a very solid structure and from a tornado perspective if I was in it I simply wouldn't worry. I have often thought of building a home like this with the company that built this one...I think they are based in Colorado. At any rate I like them
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By edblevi:
I have often thought of building a home like this with the company that built this one...I think they are based in Colorado. At any rate I like them
View Quote
I think lots of people here like them.

Do you know the name of the company?

I know almost nothing about home construction, and would have to get a contractor I can trust (does one exist?) to build my home.  Not just because I want to build secret rooms/closets in the homes, but because I know almost nothing about home construction.  So, I need the dome building contractors, but then someone to finish out the inside.

And one of the things that I haven't really seen mentioned, but that I want in my dome(s), is a generously sized conduit to future proof my home for electrical/data/electronic wiring.  Unlike others, I want to maximize the faraday cage aspect of the domes' construction.  Inside the dome, you use wired electronics.  Maybe have a window ledge specifically for charging/setting cell phones in each dome, to get incoming calls?
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#28]

I know almost nothing about home construction, and would have to get a contractor I can trust (does one exist?) to build my home.  Not just because I want to build secret rooms/closets in the homes, but because I know almost nothing about home construction.  So, I need the dome building contractors, but then someone to finish out the inside.

And one of the things that I haven't really seen mentioned, but that I want in my dome(s), is a generously sized conduit to future proof my home for electrical/data/electronic wiring.  Unlike others, I want to maximize the faraday cage aspect of the domes' construction.  Inside the dome, you use wired electronics.  Maybe have a window ledge specifically for charging/setting cell phones in each dome, to get incoming calls?
View All Quotes
I have often thought of building a home like this with the company that built this one...I think they are based in Colorado. At any rate I like them

IIRC you can get mini cell towers/repeaters for the inside of your house from ATT etc if there is no cell coverage near by. It hooks up to your internet connection. So you could have cell coverage inside your dome/cage.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TexasSheepdog:
IIRC you can get mini cell towers/repeaters for the inside of your house from ATT etc if there is no cell coverage near by. It hooks up to your internet connection. So you could have cell coverage inside your dome/cage.
View All Quotes

It's called a femptocell or a picocell.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
That might work.

What I want to do is be able to shut a door, or close some shutters, and have a pretty good faraday cage.  I guess a microcell would be just as easy to disconnect from the outside world as any other wired connection.

But then there's the second reason I wanted a faraday cage:

I'm not sure I buy into the health risks associated with cell signals, but I kinda wanted to keep the home as a signal free zone.  I'll probably be retired by the time I build a dome home, so connectivity on my own terms is a bit more doable.  Anyone know if they're easy/quick to just turn on and off?  Do I have to involve my cell carrier to set it up, or is it completely self-service?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Bump. Just thought about this thread for the first time in a year or so.

Does anybody know if it's possible to bury a dome? I assume you'd need some kind of pretty serious vapor barrier.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By LDL7071:

Does anybody know if it's possible to bury a dome? I assume you'd need some kind of pretty serious vapor barrier.
View Quote

there used to be a section on the website about underground domes.   I think you need thicker walls and ways to deal with moisture, but it's been a while.

still no lottery win for me either lol

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Dino:

there used to be a section on the website about underground domes.   I think you need thicker walls and ways to deal with moisture, but it's been a while.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LDL7071:

I remember that section too, there were at least a couple built.  I don't recall anything special needed but it's been a while.  The airform should be a pretty good vapor barrier I thought?

No lotto here either.  Although my Roman villa-styled torus design with a big center section for protected gardening and solar is looking pretty good right now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I would like to build a small cabin sized one on a 7.5 acre piece of property in the mountains of Washington State.
I've been looking into building cost of 1000sqft.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Gyrene84:
I would like to build a small cabin sized one on a 7.5 acre piece of property in the mountains of Washington State.
I've been looking into building cost of 1000sqft.
View Quote

If you're going to finish out the inside, they say that it's about the same cost as traditional construction for a single story design.  If you build a larger dome, that has a second floor, then it can even dip below the cost of traditional construction.

But, they really encourage people to build their domes themselves, and then hire a contractor to finish out the inside, which would drastically decrease the costs.  You should think about going to one of their workshops.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#36]
They posted several years ago selling premade shells of maybe 600-1200sf, ready to be trailered to remote sites.  They were more rectangular than the apartment-size domes they make, which are very cool too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
They posted several years ago selling premade shells of maybe 600-1200sf, ready to be trailered to remote sites.  They were more rectangular than the apartment-size domes they make, which are very cool too.
View Quote

I think those are called eco-shells or something similar, and they're not the same thing at all.  I'm pretty sure they spray the shotcrete on the outside of a form, instead of on the inside of foam.  It lacks the insulation outside the thermal mass, which is one of the major selling points for me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#38]
no the eco shells are different product, meant for things like storage/garages

Looks like the website has gone to crap, I can't find anything any more.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:05:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaTrueDave] [#39]
no the eco shells are different product, meant for things like storage/garages

Looks like the website has gone to crap, I can't find anything any more.

View Quote

Yeah, the eco shells are still dome shaped.  These pre-made, trucked products were more rectangular.  Did they call them cabins?   I don't see them anywhere on their website now.

Oh, but I still think they didn't have foam on the outside and concrete on the inside.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:16:21 AM EDT
[#40]
^^ You're right, I remember now
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#41]

Yeah, the eco shells are still dome shaped.  These pre-made, trucked products were more rectangular.  Did they call them cabins?   I don't see them anywhere on their website now.

Oh, but I still think they didn't have foam on the outside and concrete on the inside.
View Quote

yeah the links I bookmarked no longer exist, but they were cabins.

the only thing I can find now are the smaller ones 18' and 20' they are selling and also renting out for low income housing.  Those units don't keep the airform, because you use that one airform to make hundreds of rental units it looks like.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:45:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#42]
Holy Necrothread, Batman!

Is @1_Big_Bunker still around?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 10:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GTLandser] [#43]
I think they stopped offering the mono cabins for lack of demand (just guessing).

Looking at the old videos, they used a permanent forming pan, and reusable metal forms for the underside support beams--that makes it more involved to DIY (a DIYer could use it for multiple cabins, or turn the pad into a driveway or something--but it must be paid for).

Also, would your shotcrete guy get out of bed for a 10yd job?

If the foundation plus the walls were 3yds + 7yds, the weight would be ~40,500lbs, not counting the rebar or any interior finishing. So if you don't DIY, and order it shipped, imagine the cost.

The eco-shell is a total different animal. The form is reusable, it is formed from the "outside in", and there is no foam insulation. MDI has been clear that it is probably not suitable for housing aside from tropical climates.

I love monolithic domes, but you guys are right that you need to win the lottery first. I am sure financing kills 90% of these residential projects before they even begin. I think there is a clear reason we see so many more that are commercial, industrial, or institutional.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

The eco-shell is a total different animal. The form is reusable, it is formed from the "outside in", and there is no foam insulation. MDI has been clear that it is probably not suitable for housing aside from tropical climates.
View All Quotes

Yeah, I was going to look into doing that for a gazebo type thing for an outdoor kitchen/BBQ, and also one for a storage shed for yard tools and riding lawn mower.

I love monolithic domes, but you guys are right that you need to win the lottery first. I am sure financing kills 90% of these residential projects before they even begin. I think there is a clear reason we see so many more that are commercial, industrial, or institutional.

Not that they're more expensive, right?  Just because they might be difficult to finance?  I understand homeowners insurance is a challenge, too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Yeah, I was going to look into doing that for a gazebo type thing for an outdoor kitchen/BBQ, and also one for a storage shed for yard tools and riding lawn mower.

Not that they're more expensive, right?  Just because they might be difficult to finance?  I understand homeowners insurance is a challenge, too.
View Quote

Yeah MDI has said for years that the cost/SF is comparable (assuming same-same features and interior quality). I don't have any reason to disbelieve them, but I think it gets harder to make comparisons because the people who actually reach the building stage are probably trying to realize their dream, and having overcome every obstacle to get there, are willing to splurge to get exactly what they want.

Also because you're going to have to do certain things, just because it is a dome, that you might not otherwise with a conventional house. Example: you might spend more on trim carpentry because you have to deal with curved walls everywhere, but your energy savings are much better. Does it wash? After a certain period of time, could be.

Supposedly, once you find an insurer who understands what they're looking at, owners have been able to get really low insurance quotes (they realize there is nothing to burn except the contents). However just like the building finance stage, you have to knock on 100 doors to find someone who is willing to underwrite it.

FWIW, if I won the lottery I would build whatever the hell I wanted, especially including domes.

However, if I wanted any hope of re-sale, and I had to conform to conventional standards to get off the ground, but still wanted to achieve similar energy performance and disaster resistance, I would probably have an easier time using ICFs.

It wouldn't have the advantages of the dome shape, but I am sure there are many more builders with experience from hurricane zones who could make you a hurricane-proof roof and wall system. It still contains concrete and foam, it just wouldn't be cool and semi-spherical.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#46]

FWIW, if I won the lottery I would build whatever the hell I wanted, especially including domes.

View Quote

I'm hopeful that I don't need to actually win the lottery.  But the sale of my current home isn't even comparable to the acreage that I've been looking at.  And then I'll have to convince some lender to give me a construction loan on this non-traditional construction.  I think I'm a ways away from making it happen...

Unless I win the lottery...  
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Hey, the good news is, doing research is free.

So call your county or whatever other planning authorities, and just keep asking questions. MDI being in TX is already a big help, because anyone can call them if they want to ask them directly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Hey, the good news is, doing research is free.

So call your county or whatever other planning authorities, and just keep asking questions. MDI being in TX is already a big help, because anyone can call them if they want to ask them directly.
View Quote

Research.  Yes.  

My GF calls it day-dreaming.  

Until I actually get some land, I don't think I'm going to bug Monolithic with a bunch of questions.  I've been down there for the annual open house a few times, and I've had incredible conversations with David South and a couple of different architects.  I'd rather wait until I have some very specific questions about my particular situation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

That's a potato.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 4v50:

That's a potato.  
View Quote

Yup.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top