Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2011 7:11:07 PM EDT
i was wondering if anyone here had a 45-70 marlin guide gun. i just want some opinions
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had mine since 2000 and absolutely love it. Bought my brother a stainless version a few years later and he loves his. Very accurate, recoil is not bad at all with the porting, and it can handle loads heavy enough for anything in North America and most things in the rest of the world. I'm pretty sure the Buffalo Bore rounds (or my roughly equivalent handloads) can take out the mother ship when it tries to land. We actually do opportunistic bunny hunting with them for standing head shots. Pretty successful too.  Just stay away from the Hornady Leverlution rounds for deer or heavier, the jackets separate very easily and you really don't need that much expansion when you use .45. They do make coyotes explode nicely, however.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I like mine.  Stainless, non-ported.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 1:25:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPI] [#3]
Just an " FYI " guys,

Cutting Edge Bullets:

Dangerous Game Brass Hollow Point Lever Gun
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=DGHL

EDIT:
p.s. ; I just got " Banned " from " Marlinowners.com " for posting ( Sharing ) this exact information ..

" Sorry PAPI, you are banned from using this forum "

I'm guesing it's sinful to mention anything more progressives (Testing) , other than " LEAD " on their website .... ?

PAPI
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is a stainless ported model, currently wearing a Leupold M8 3x scope.  It's an absolute hammer on deer and hogs.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 1:19:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPI] [#6]
You got banned for that? 

LOL

They are idiots.

Yup, I got banned .. ,  after my last post (« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:34:00 AM »), which is still up !!
Take a look at the below link !

Mean 45-70 solid & hollow point bullets:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,93658.0.html

I'm still a bit confused.. What I did to get Banned from further posting on their site ... ?

Although no great loss  

PAPI
NRA: Life Member
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I owned a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70, and had it reworked by WWG. It was a dream to shoot and accuracy was phenomenal. I sold it on a whim, since I needed a new duty weapon, a buddy of mine bought it and now is his regular hunting partner. I recently purchased a limited edition 1895ABL (not sure on model) It is of new Marlin production, with pistol grip, grey laminated stock, and 18" barrel with a full tube mag. I have had several issues with it, but hopefully it will prove to be as accurate as my old 1895G that I miss so dearly. I plan to have the action polished out and some chamber work done. I have found the 45/70 to be a very useful and, when desired, a very powerful cartridge. If you handload, the sky is the limit, especially with some of the awesome bullets like PAPI so eloquently has shown us. If you do not handload there are still options out there. Buffalo Bore, Grizzly, Garrett, Cor-Bon, and others are marketing specialized hot loads for virtually every game animal imaginable. Do not disqualify the Marlin for its traditional looks either, it is an awesome tactical tool if utilized properly, and within its limitations.

Best of Luck
-Private Contractor-
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:43:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPI] [#8]
Hey Guys,

Just some additional info to ponder over !!

CEB Solid ; 43-44  inches of straight  penetration

The " Cutting Edge Hollow Point Bullets " , were designed to expand .., shed its petal (blades/shear), & then acting as a " Solid " ( Rear Shank ) continue penetrating straight, without deforming..!
Example:

" Our little 295 CEB BBW#13 NonCon HP is able to churn a bit more velocity as you can see, in the Marlin, but because of it's weight the shear is at 1700 fps impacts. Again, about 100 yards is as far as you can expect the blades to shear. This bullet at 22 yards caused massive trauma to the witness card! Close range under 50 yds, this is devastating, all the while giving excellent penetration!... Michael "

...Now do not forget either, that it has been determined, and proven from great deal of study over the years that a solid tested in my test medium here will penetrate on average 35% more in animal tissue, since in most cases it is less dense than the test medium. Softs, expanding and NonCons will be from 75%-80% to 100% deeper penetration on animal tissue than in this test medium... Michael
accuratereloading.com
Big Bore Forum: Terminal Bullet Performance  

Now, lets see : Tested in the " LAB ", and then " Field Tested " on Live Game ...

Deeper Penetration , Better Bullets ,HMMMMM !!

Sounds like a " WINNER ".. !

Unfortunately  ...., some other websites ( &  individuals ) that don't like any changes , and will not consider using nothing but Lead bullets (Nostalgia ?)

PAPI
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the STBL and I love that rifle it is the perfect brush gun up here IMO.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Its a pretty outstanding gun. If you reload, the versatility is almost unmatched...

Smash deer with 300 grain HP's, than go flatten a grizz with a 405 grain or 500 grain hard cast.

Link Posted: 9/11/2011 2:38:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeepnik] [#11]
Originally Posted By PAPI:
You got banned for that? LOL They are idiots. 

Yup, I got banned .. ,  after my last post (« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:34:00 AM »), which is still up !!
Take a look at the below link !

Mean 45-70 solid & hollow point bullets:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,93658.0.html

I'm still a bit confused.. What I did to get Banned from further posting on their site ... ?

Although no great loss  

PAPI
NRA: Life Member

Welcome to the large and ever growing goup of those banned for that forum.  You apparently didn't agree with the managment or one of his cronies.  It takes little to irritate the hitlrer-like individual that owns that forum.

Just to make this post relevant, I've had a GS since they came out.  Can't say enought about it.  I only wish I could shoot as well as it does.

Link Posted: 9/11/2011 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the deal over there on the marlin forum!?
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DrDeath:
What's the deal over there on the marlin forum!?

The owner likes things his way.  So, you either fall in line and follow the progam, or you're gone.  Sort of a dictatorial state over there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 9:06:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IndianaGeologist] [#14]
Just an " FYI " guys,

Cutting Edge Bullets:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/A-PAPI/DSC084451.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/A-PAPI/DSC091591.jpg

Dangerous Game Brass Hollow Point Lever Gun
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=DGHL

EDIT:
p.s. ; I just got " Banned " from " Marlinowners.com " for posting ( Sharing ) this exact information ..

" Sorry PAPI, you are banned from using this forum "

I'm guesing it's sinful to mention anything more progressives (Testing) , other than " LEAD " on their website .... ?

PAPI

You might of been banned from not staying on topic. For example this thread is on the gun, not the bullets that it fires. Overly promoting an item might that is off topic (such as the bullets you posted) is not what the OP asked for. I don't know if that is really the case, though.

To the OP, Marlin makes fine lever guns, and the one youre interested I've heard nothing but good things. As far as bear are concerned, especially black bear, you will have no problems taking one down, although I'd keep it under 200 yds.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 4:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPI] [#15]
You might of been banned from not staying on topic. For example this thread is on the gun, not the bullets that it fires. Overly promoting an item might that is off topic (such as the bullets you posted) is not what the OP asked for. I don't know if that is really the case, though. 

Well, to be perfectly " Factual "..

Someone ( ? ) posted a thread Titled  " Some Mean looking Bullets " (or close to that ?)  over on the " Marlin Forum ", along with a few comments , and a link to this forum " AR "..

He /She ( ?) appeared to have read a post, containing info that " I " originally created here @ " AR ", i.e; " Cutting Edge Bullets/ Accurate Reloading ".

I just happened to be websurfing (Marlin Forum) and came across the thread. I then provided some additional information over @ " Marlin Forum " , which was
"  Exactly "  the same information,  you see posted on this thread.. No more, no less

I'm in no way affiliated, or trying to promote anyones product for a profit !

Just doing what many of us do on the " Internet "..  Sharing information on " Great New Product(s) ".  In this particular case " BETTER BULLETS "....

PAPI

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the 1895 and love it, wish I bought the guide gun for its better handling.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#17]
PAPI
Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the 1895 and I really like it. Hand loading makes it even funner. I was going to buy the guide gun but preferred the balance and pistol grip stock of the regular model.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#19]
My brother and I went halves on a stainless guide gun 45-70 for my dad in 2006. He really didn't know what to do with it at the time since he is a die hard 30-06 user.

He uses the guide gun for his main rifle since then and his 30-06 is designated backup.

I had a 50 Beowulf for awhile,and it was great, don't get me wrong,but I would get a GG if I was to get another big bore lead slinger.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 3:05:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By drunkintoaster:
I have the STBL and I love that rifle it is the perfect brush gun up here IMO.

This.  Great gun, many a bear have been taken up here with them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I have one. I trimmed the forend down and had it recheckered. Its a 1895 G sans the ports. Great gun...
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Awesome rifle.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Love mine. Been using it for bear for about 15 years now. Only 3 bears taken though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Marlins, historically, have been awesome guns... The most recent specimens I've seen from the freedom group were lacking in the fit and finish/ quality department.

My suggestion is that you get on gunbroker and buy one that is a few years old.

- AG

P.S.  PAPI, the reason you got banned, is the same reason you are gonna be banned here.  You only post to push your wares.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 6:15:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPI] [#25]
- AG

P.S.  PAPI, the reason you got banned, is the same reason you are gonna be banned here.  You only post to push your wares.

HMMMM, I would have to be a affiliated in some way with the : Manufacterer ( Pennsylvania ) &  I'm located in " CA " .
I currently have a " JOB " , ( Retiriing Sooon ) that has nothing to do with production(s) of  " wares " or sales of  "  wares " .

I'm strictly a " BUYER & CONSUMER " of wares

PAPI
NRA Life Member
BRRC Life Member
CRPA Life Member  
NRA Certified RSO
NRA Certified FIrearms Instructor: Rifle / Pistol / Shotgun
Junior Match Director : Smallbore Rifle / Pistol
CA DFG Certified Fishing Instructor

" A Picture is worth a Thousand Words ".
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#26]
PAPI,

I did a search of all the non-archived threads you've posted in.  Of the 34 I found, 5 were about the bullets in question...  I guess I only remember those posts from you.

You obviously, from my search, contribute more to this site than pushing solid projectiles (which I think are awesome), notably in the area of cast iron cookware and .22's...

I spoke out of turn, without double checking my accusations, and was wrong.  I'm sorry.  Please accept my apology.

Thread hijack over.

- AG
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:05:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPI] [#27]
Originally Posted By Aggie_Gunner:
PAPI,
I spoke out of turn, without double checking my accusations, and was wrong.  I'm sorry.  Please accept my apology.

Thread hijack over.
- AG

NO, Apologies required ..

I've been mis-identified, as a " Product Advertiser " several times in the past , for " SHARING " information, which included a warning from a  " Moderator ", over " WARES " ( Bullets ) mentioned on this thread...

For the Record : I own, but... don't sell or advertise for profit, any of the following " WARES " :

Bullets: .22 / 9mm  / .357 / .40 / .45 / .223 / 30-30 / 30-06 / 45-70 / .410 / .50 Muzzleloader  / .58 Muzzleloader  / 20 gauge / 12 gauge  
Air Rifles : .177 / .25 cal  
Travel Trailers / Raindrop
Yamaha Portable Generator
Motor Vehicles: GMC Yukon/ Nissan Exterra / HMM... Fiat Abarth ???
Trek Mountain Bikes
Cast Iron Cookware : Griswold / Wagner Ware / Lodge  
Water Filters / Purifiers
Firearms or Parts
Fishing Equipment
Archery Equipment
Custom Knives
Tents/Sleeping Bags
Cooking Stoves / BBQ Grills; BIG GREEN EGG
Cook Books or Recipes

PAPI
NRA Life Member
BRRC Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:58:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPatriot1776] [#28]
I love my 45-70 Guide Gun.

I also have a 1895P in 444 Marlin.

Both are great guns.

If you can get either (pre-Remington). GET IT.

I would also highly recommend a Scout scope set up for it. XS sights make great sights and a great scout mount for it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Love my '02 (non-ported). Always love peoples' reactions when I take 'er to the range- usually a "what the hell is that?", followed by "can I shoot it?". I'll almost always let 'em put one downrange, just to see their reaction.

May be heresy to put a red-dot on a levergun, but oh well. I initially bought the beast for hunting hogs & wanted something low-light & flashlight friendly. Also discovered that as cross-dominant as I am, I can actually shoot a red-dot with both eyes open, something I absolutely can not do with scopes or irons.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I've been mis-identified, as a " Product Advertiser " several times in the past , for " SHARING " information, which included a warning from a  " Moderator ", over " WARES " ( Bullets ) mentioned on this thread...

For the Record : I own, but... don't sell or advertise for profit, any of the following " WARES " :

Bullets: .22 / 9mm  / .357 / .40 / .45 / .223 / 30-30 / 30-06 / 45-70 / .410 / .50 Muzzleloader  / .58 Muzzleloader  / 20 gauge / 12 gauge  
Trek Mountain Bikes
Firearms or Parts
Fishing Equipment
Archery Equipment
Custom Knives
Tents/Sleeping Bags
Cook Books or Recipes

PAPI
NRA Life Member
BRRC Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aggie_Gunner:
PAPI,

Thread hijack over.
- AG

Trek Mountain Bikes
Firearms or Parts
Fishing Equipment
Archery Equipment
Custom Knives
Tents/Sleeping Bags
Cook Books or Recipes

PAPI
NRA Life Member
BRRC Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO

Fiat Abarth!!!  That must be your wife's car.  Seriously though awesome little car to drive especially for the money.

I bought my brother a Guide Gun in about 2001.  He wanted .450 marlin cartidge.  It was great shooting.  Recoil was not bad at all.  I had just moved into a house and the previous owner left all sorts of old paint gallon cans full of paint.  We took them to the plinking range and shot them at 75 yards.  The 350 grain bullet exploded those cans.  Paint shot 20-30 feet in the air.

The next time I went there was a sign that said "no shooting paint cans."
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Had a Marlin GG in .450 Marlin.  Sold it.
Bought ghost sites and sold them.
Bought Leupold scout scope and AO scout rail; sold them...

Rifle was ungainly with the Leupold 2.5x on it.
The ghost sight wasn't as good as a Williams aperture.

Pretty good power with a hard cast 400gr flatpoint .459 bullet.
Not as versatile as a large .338 bore magnum.

Typically, I carry a .454casull Super Redhawk loaded with 345gr flatpoints.
They penetrate 27" of seasoned Cottonwood slab.  Dug the slug out and measured the
penetration path.  Can sleep with handgun in your sleeping bag.  Can shoot it with one hand.

Marlin 1894 in .44mag holds more rounds.  300gr hardcast pretty potent stuff.
Lots more likely to have a handgun than rifle with you, unless actively hunting.
I know two guys who can tell "the time I bumped into a Brown Bear" stories.  Each had a 1911 .45acp on them and emptied the gun into the bear.
Neither bear was ever recovered.

Cast bullets of wheelweight alloy is the way to go.  I like my 7.5" SRH Casull.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:48:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Old18C] [#32]
Took me 11 years to save enough to get this WWG Co-Pilot in .457 and it shoots as well as I had hopped it would.

My Guide gun my nephew and I picked out  used from a shop when I traded in something I didn't want.  I have killed a few deer with it and like it a lot.

Loaned my guide gun to my friends son in AK for this and a moose hunt both DRT with Hornady 325gr LEVERevolution
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I love mine, Stainless non-ported.  They are a dream to reload for as well, as there are so many options from mild to wild!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AmericanPatriot1776:
I love my 45-70 Guide Gun.

I also have a 1895P in 444 Marlin.

Both are great guns.

If you can get either (pre-Remington). GET IT.

I would also highly recommend a Scout scope set up for it. XS sights make great sights and a great scout mount for it.
View Quote

I have a 444 22" barrel and really like the gun.  Its not as handy as the guide guns but its still a small package compared to most bolt guns.  Crazy thing about my 444 is it is amazingly accurate with the hornady superformance ammo.  Its a honest sub MOA gun with that ammo at 100 yards.  In fact it is as accurate as any gun I own at 100 yards, Mine is a 2006 model with the ballard rifling and it shoots the flex tip stuff pretty well, which is good considering its really hard to find anything other than that  ammo, but the superformance is definitely more accurate.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:48:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sixnine] [#35]
I used to have one 45-70 and should have never got rid of it. Just wasn't a useful caliber for my area.
ETA: Found one locally at Dick's,  but I'm tapped out for new guns this year.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one in 450 Marlin, I like it. Light weight, handy length and pleasant to carry when I'm out and about in bear country.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top