Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2022 7:31:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I give mine to my neighbor. He heats his shop with used oil.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
i use oil from my
oil changes for lube an have always use it in my sthl chain saw for years  free bar oil as far as i m concerned
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I pour it  on the dirt road around the house it keeps weeds away and keeps the dust down. I is about 100yards from the well
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few 5 gallon buckets I normally dump off at the auto parts store when they fill up.

These days though I think I'll just hang onto them for a bit and if needed I can filter it and mix it with diesel and run it in my truck or my generator.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I pour it  on the dirt road around the house it keeps weeds away and keeps the dust down. I is about 100yards from the well
View Quote

Lol

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you need a 99-04 Jetta and a GreaseCar conversion.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've read some people use it to coat trailer boards to seal them from water.
Never tried it myself.
I'm sure the Ukrainians mixed with other stuff to make their molotov's.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've read some people use it to coat trailer boards to seal them from water.
Never tried it myself.
View Quote

I've done this, it works well. Is not good for traction but waterproofs nicely
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got about a 800 gallons of used oil at the farm, they used to pick it up for free then cancelled doing that during the trump years because of low value, I'd assume they'd start picking it up for free again.  I use a few gallons every year with remedy to control unwanted trees, but otherwise we don't utilize it.  At one point we had a shop heater that burned oil, but it was discarded due to poor reliability.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#12]
The only real use I have for mine is in a smudge pot.  I host a camp out once a year with a bon fire, and use two home made smudge pots as well even if it is warm out.  Looks neat, provides some heat, and uses up my waste oil surplus.  They burn surprisingly clean for using waste oil.

Since everything is getting so expensive moving forward I might hang onto the cleaner waste oil that I get and filter it, and hang onto it for bar oil, and or use the filtered stuff in little drip bottles to lube things like motorcycle chains trailer gate hinges etc.

I don't have much reason to hang onto lager quantities though as my only diesel is a mini excavator and I don't run it enough to risk using waste oil.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
With the right filters, you can run it through an older diesel engine.  You can also setup a heater using it - lots of examples on YT.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I reuse it around the farm.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#15]
BURN IT
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm used to GD for good lols.

If you had a regular supply I would say a waste oil heater but most of us, minus the farmer, probably do not generate enough to keep it lit.

See if it can be used as chainsaw oil as someone mentioned earlier. Not sure if SAE oil maps to a weighted oil. Would be an interesting question for your local Stihl dealer. Let us know what he says
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't celebrate one Earth Day in my youth by dumping used motor oil and a little gas into the sand-filled coffee can filled with cigarette butts and lighting it. Burned for hours. Good, if not sooty, heat source.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
With the right filters, you can run it through an older diesel engine.  You can also setup a heater using it - lots of examples on YT.
View Quote

My brother used to run used hydraulic oil through an old 12 valve Cummins at about 1 part oil to 2 parts diesel (offroad equipment only of course). Any more than that and it had a noticeable lack of power.

Heavier fuels/oils perform better in larger, slower engines. IE, like the massive cargo ships that redline at 100 rpm and burn bunker oil (basically sludge).

Also keep in mind that the longer molecular chains of many synthetic oils mean they don't burn very easy. So what type of oil is it?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Almost all full synthetic
View Quote

I would test the burn before counting on its ability to burn. Burning is a form of molecular breakdown. Synthetics are designed specifically to resist breakdown.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My brother used to run used hydraulic oil through an old 12 valve Cummins at about 1 part oil to 2 parts diesel (offroad equipment only of course). Any more than that and it had a noticeable lack of power.

View Quote

I always wanted a Ford IDI (pre-Powerstroke, up to 1993) for this. They had a factory dual tank setup.

Many people run mixtures of waste motor oil and gasoline in older diesels. The dual tank setups allow one to start the engine on diesel and switch to oil. An in-tank heater can also be added to the secondary tank.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I have read of using used motor oil to soak timbers in, and make your own rot-resistant fenceposts.  Might be viable in a severe supply chain crisis situation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Good for getting bonfires going, even in wet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Heavier fuels/oils perform better in larger, slower engines. IE, like the massive cargo ships that redline at 100 rpm and burn bunker oil (basically sludge).

Also keep in mind that the longer molecular chains of many synthetic oils mean they don't burn very easy. So what type of oil is it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks.

Quoted:
I have read of using used motor oil to soak timbers in, and make your own rot-resistant fenceposts.  Might be viable in a severe supply chain crisis situation.
A friend of mine painted used motor oil onto the boards of his heavy equipment trailers.  The boards lasted a long long time.  His equipment all had metal tracks, not sure I would do it w/ a rubber tracked skid steer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:41:54 AM EDT
[#25]
People rustproof/undercoat with used oil.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what I did with my Woodshed vertical supports.  The treated 4x4s I bought all said "direct contact" but I don't trust today's treated wood.  I put the 4x4s in a 5-6 gallon bucket, then filled it with UMO and left it there for a month or so.  You can see how the oil soaked up the wood.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#28]
prob not particularly useful to anyone here, but my grandfather, who was more or less a subsistance farmer and ww2 vet, would hang a bunch of old burlap or rags from a wire and soak them in used oil.  his cows would walk under it to coat themselves with oil and it would keep flies off.

it was never clear to me precisely how the cows knew to do that, or why flies don't like used oil....  but it seemed to work
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I've found waste oil to be handy around the house. Does a great job of lubricating the foot plate of my wood splitter
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've found waste oil to be handy around the house. Does a great job of lubricating the foot plate of my wood splitter
View Quote

I use it on my wood splitter as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top