Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2021 9:46:07 AM EDT
last year wife and I drove out west during covid to montana from Wisconsin in October
we just got back again Thursday from another week long trip.

wow what changes.

food service the whole way was impacted. Restaurants ran out of stuff, no staff, and long lines just to eat. Gas no shortages.
still brought what I took from last years trip (ar, ammo, food, and road kit) but the road this time was all vacationers. So many people traveling out west.
On the way back it looked like an apocalyptic movie with everyone going west. we were going east on 90 with hardly anyone.

We literally only saw new campers (maybe 1% used) and HUGE 5th wheels were the norm. Last trip in October it was mostly expedition vehicles or sprinter van campers. Not as many this time.

We did go to yellowstone and had a mini epic. We came in to the east entrance that was open. We had a 2 wheel drive "luxury" rental SUV with 40k miles with bad tires (well worn stock tires that were never rotated [rears just to wear bars and  fronts past wear bars]), since the van we booked was no longer available. Entered the park and they gave us grief since our national part pass was not signed (had signs all over about that and that you had to show ID) First time in 20 years I signed one. I guess that is there new thing. We go in the park and drive. 60 degrees turns into 30 and full on blizzard in car with bald tires. Not a fun hour or two driving over the mountain pass.

We get over it and back to 60's and rain.
Attachment Attached File

Oh and SD and the badlands are still my favorite. Though in October no one was wearing masks in SD. This time all business were wearing masks including Wall drug.

Attachment Attached File

On another note that relates to bugging out with multiple family members. We met family there and wow all the planning in the world goes out the door. People got angry, and planning failed just for a family trip. Probably never doing a big family trip again.
More than half the family did not even bring coats/ jackets with. (weather was mostly 60's with rain the whole week) and they had dress or casual cheap running shoes for a yellowstone / state rec area trip.

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:23:31 PM EDT
OP, your post is a soup sandwich of confusion.

Are you trying to say that your most recent trip was considerably more difficult with more Scamdemic related side effects than your trip last year?  
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:13:33 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BTccw:
OP, your post is a soup sandwich of confusion.

Are you trying to say that your most recent trip was considerably more difficult with more Scamdemic related side effects than your trip last year?  
View Quote

yes, sorry lack of sleep and a long week. Yes this years was considerable a tougher trip.
Bigger crowds and shortages.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:12:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:05:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/2/2021 10:15:04 AM EDT by BTccw]
Thanks for the update and info OP.

We are traveling soon and hearing that Wall Drug is masked is concerning. We live in a bubble of sanity here in N. Idaho. Very few are mask/shot doomers those that are come from somewhere else and are actively subversive.  Life has gone on pretty much the same for us for the past year and a half.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2021 1:21:00 PM EDT
Somewhat related story.  Buddy of mine and his family flew to TX looking for some property, this was a while back when they had the freak snow/ice storm that went all the way to Houston.  They had flown in so they were limited in what they had with them.  Their air bnb lost power and inside it was in the low 40's.  They scoured every store they could for coats and blankets, nothing was available, even the thrift shops were picked clean.  They lucked out in that a friend of a friend lived close to where they were staying and that person still had power, so they hung out there all day.

Take home lesson:  Nothing is guaranteed, not even warmth in TX, so take steps to prepare.  For example, puffy jackets pack down small and can be very warm - I have one that packs down to 4"x4"x3" and keeps me warm down to 20* - it is always with me when I travel, especially on the motorcycle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 11:42:01 PM EDT
In Montana life seemed pretty much back to normal. Indian (Feather) Reservations seem to be the exceptions and they are still trying to scare everyone on the Res into compliance.  A few masked Covidians at Glacier but they are mostly from outta state. Ditto trip to eastern Washington. People are just done with the BS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Stay Informed On All Things 2A

Sign up and receive updates every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the ARFCOM community, breaking news and legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement.
Top Top