Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2018 1:03:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at "Sage" reels and "St. Croix" rods and she`ll save some money and get better quality IMHO. Fly fishing stuff of HIGH quality can be found regularly at estate sales.

Just looked at Denver Craigslist    https://denver.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=fly+rod
https://denver.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=fly+reel
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not a terrible start however, I have no experience with that rod so I have no idea what the action is like. Higher end gear can usually be found used at a good deal. Check the marketplace/for sale forum on https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/

5wt is the most universally used weight for trout and can even be used for bass. 8'6"-9' rods should be preferable. Good luck in your search and good on you for supporting her desire/interest in one of the greatest sports/hobbies out there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
For that kind of money it had better come with free drinks and BJ's.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I do own two other Orvis rods, but not the Clearwater.  I can't remember if I have casted it, I may have.  But my guess is that it's a pretty decent rod, and that model comes with a 25 year warranty. I own other brands as well, Sage, Lamiglas and TFO.

If it's not a suprise, maybe she can sign him up for the Fly Fishing 101 Orvis does, it's free and will give him a chance to try out casting.  They might even use the Clearwater line in the class, if not after the class he could cast it and see if he likes it.  I know the two Orvis rods I own, a 5wt Helios 2, and a 3wt Super Fine glass, cast great and both catch fish.  I can also cast my inexpensive TFO Lefty Kreh Professional 2, almost as good as my Helios 2.  I can probably really cast it just as good, but I like to think the more expensive one casts better.

There are a lot of options out there, but get a decent rod, and a good line, for a 5wt you don't need a $500 reel.  I'm not saying eventually he won't want one, but you don't need that kind of drag on a 5wt.  But hey, I have a Hatch reel on my 3wt.

It's a $200 rod, with a 25 year warranty, with a $100 reel- so basically you are getting line and backing for free.

Hope that helps a little bit.  Good luck and hopefully tight lines!
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome, sounds like they did it the right way.  A guide/instructor when you're starting out, or even when you have been doing it for a while, can really get you going down the right path and save a lot of frustration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top