Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2019 10:50:40 AM EDT
I built a pistol to use during alternative season and need to get a good hunting round for white-tail.

What do you recommend?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Heard a lot of good things about the Hornady 123g SST load. Im hoping to get a chance to try it out this year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heard a lot of good things about the Hornady 123g SST load. Im hoping to get a chance to try it out this year.
View Quote
After shooting a deer with my 300BO pistol using a sst, I wouldn't count in them.My humble opinion,  with pistol velocities, I  think  the Barnes are a better choice.I have witnessed several  deer shot with the Barnes Tac bullets, and the results have been impressive.
The Doe I shot with my sst, had a 30 cal hole going in, and a 30 cal hole going out.I never recovered  the bullet,  but expansion  must have been minimal. If the deer had not rubbed  blood against tall grass, I would not have recovered  her. There was absolutely  no blood trail drops.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#3]
123 SST
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
120 Federal Fusion is what I use. Took a nice 8pt last year from a 12.5 in Grendel.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used the 115gr Fusion load in my 6.8 SPC rifle with great results. The Fusion is a good performer, it expands well, and doesn't leave your wallet hurting. There is a 120gr 6.5 Grendel load the Federal offers, I doubt you would have any complaints using it if you do your part with concerns to shot placement.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the SST a hollow-point?

Is the Fusion a hollow-point?

Where are you finding your rounds?  I cannot find any on line.   Went to Bass Pro this morning and they didn't have a single 6.5 Grendel round in the store.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#7]
academy or online at SGAMMO
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#8]
123 SST
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
academy or online at SGAMMO
View Quote
SGAMMO has been teasing me for months through gunbot.net.....

says 'available' then I ask to be notified only, never am.  Forget SG

I'll try academy,

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#10]
123 SST from my 6.5 Grendel. I’ve got a buck and 3 hogs all from @ 100 yards. 16” barrel.

It’s the only round I have shot in that rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the 120gr Fusion available as a reloading component?

SST is the standard answer, OP.  I really wish Hornady would make the ELD-X in a 123gr variety.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I shot the 123gr SST last year. I won't be using it this year.

The first buck I shot was at 35 yards. The bullet exploded when it clipped the back of the shoulder. Hardly anything made it to the vitals, but it destroyed that shoulder. I finally killed him after a half mile tracking job. I process my own deer, so I saw exactly what happened.

The second buck was at about 150 yards. He was running angled away from me. I intended to put the bullet a little further back because of the angle, but I hit him further back than I wanted due to him running. The bullet went in a few inches behind his last rib angled up toward his front. It hit ribs on the opposite side. That is the only bone it hit, but the bullet still didn't exit. I found it in the hide. It killed the buck quickly (less than 50 yards), but I would have liked an exit wound. There was no blood trail.

This year I'm switching to 120gr Fusion. The 62gr worked incredibly well from a .223, so I'm hoping the 120gr version will do equally well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I shot the 123gr SST last year. I won't be using it this year.

The first buck I shot was at 35 yards. The bullet exploded when it clipped the back of the shoulder. Hardly anything made it to the vitals, but it destroyed that shoulder. I finally killed him after a half mile tracking job. I process my own deer, so I saw exactly what happened.

The second buck was at about 150 yards. He was running angled away from me. I intended to put the bullet a little further back because of the angle, but I hit him further back than I wanted due to him running. The bullet went in a few inches behind his last rib angled up toward his front. It hit ribs on the opposite side. That is the only bone it hit, but the bullet still didn't exit. I found it in the hide. It killed the buck quickly (less than 50 yards), but I would have liked an exit wound. There was no blood trail.

This year I'm switching to 120gr Fusion. The 62gr worked incredibly well from a .223, so I'm hoping the 120gr version will do equally well.
View Quote
Good to know, thanks.

Where do you find the Fusion?

I'm having a difficult time doing so.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good to know, thanks.

Where do you find the Fusion?

I'm having a difficult time doing so.
View Quote
I ordered it from Target Sports USA.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks,

I just went to their website and it is out of stock.  

So is:  Cabelas, midwest, SGAMMO, and a half dozen other on line providers who say they carry it but are out of stock.

Since my last post I've searched again and then finally called Federal [that is a 'trip' trying to find their phone number and then being passed around to 4 different people].

Finally learned that their next production run for this caliber is scheduled for Oct. 23, 2019.  That is subject to change.

BTW, part number [which is needed to talk w/ them] is F65GDLMSR1

Guess I'll have to be patient

Thankfully, alternative season doesn't start until 12/28 in MO.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks,

So is:  Cabelas, midwest, SGAMMO, and a half dozen other on line providers who say they carry it but are out of stock.

Since my last post I've searched again and then finally called Federal [that is a 'trip' trying to find their phone number and then being passed around to 4 different people].

Finally learned that their next production run for this caliber is scheduled for Oct. 23, 2019.  That is subject to change.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

You could also try some of the Precision Firearms loadings. They have some using projectiles that you don't see in normal production lines. I'm really interested in trying the 100gr TTSX and 129gr Nosler ABLR. They're higher priced, but it's "small batch" ammo in 50rd boxes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
123 SST
View Quote
Dis one. It kills em good. I blasted two last year. One DRT one ran 20 yards spewing blood. Me likey.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
After shooting a deer with my 300BO pistol using a sst, I wouldn't count in them.My humble opinion,  with pistol velocities, I  think  the Barnes are a better choice.I have witnessed several  deer shot with the Barnes Tac bullets, and the results have been impressive.
The Doe I shot with my sst, had a 30 cal hole going in, and a 30 cal hole going out.I never recovered  the bullet,  but expansion  must have been minimal. If the deer had not rubbed  blood against tall grass, I would not have recovered  her. There was absolutely  no blood trail drops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So... any information on a 6.5 Grendel going supersonic and not a completely different caliber?  For that matter, even a round manufactured by Hornady?  As currently their listings don’t show an SST loading in 300BLK.  So your idea is to blast Hornadys ammunition by saying a reload from some other manufacturer like Fiocchi didn’t cut the mustard?  Gotcha...

On Topic:

From several folks I’ve who’ve used SSTs they were happy with the massive expansion.  A couple didn’t get full penetration through the opposite side, but they still had massive internal organ damage.  I intend on using SSTs this year myself.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I've shot deer and antelope out to 550 with my 16 inch grendel using amax and sst. Both worked very well. I find if you put a bullet through heart or lungs they work well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So... any information on a 6.5 Grendel going supersonic and not a completely different caliber?  For that matter, even a round manufactured by Hornady?  As currently their listings don’t show an SST loading in 300BLK.  So your idea is to blast Hornadys ammunition by saying a reload from some other manufacturer like Fiocchi didn’t cut the mustard?  Gotcha...

On Topic:

From several folks I’ve who’ve used SSTs they were happy with the massive expansion.  A couple didn’t get full penetration through the opposite side, but they still had massive internal organ damage.  I intend on using SSTs this year myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On Topic:

That massive expansion is why I don’t like them. They’re too soft. Depending on your range, you could be treading a fine line between massive expansion and bullet failure.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven't shot a deer yet with one but I hear good things about the Hornady 123 gr. ELD-X.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't think the ELD-X comes in 123gr
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#23]
6.5 Grendel is kind of new.  But finding a comparable cartridge is easy....

For literally decades the Tompson Contender crowd has been handgun hunting deer.  A whole cottage industry popped up to support that group.  JDJones, same guy who invented the 300 Whisper, invented a whole bunch of contender cartridges.  The best of the lot was frequently considered the 6.5 JDJ.  A .225 Win case, blown out and shouldered, necked to 6.5 mm...  It fired a 120 125 grn bullet at aboyt 2400 2450 in a 14" bbl.  Sound familiar?   Those are virtually identical to 6.5 Grendel....

The best load in the 6.5 jdj was a 6.5mm Nosler Ballistic Tip.  I think its a 120 grainer.   The BT is a 'soft' bullet, and opens very well at low speeds.  And 2400 fps myzzle velocity is low speed.  Thus bullet will do well in the Grendel.

The bullet doesn't care if its fired out of a Super 14 Contender or out of a 6.5 G AR15.  If its a 6.5mm 120 grain BT, going 2400 fps, its going to act identically.  This load has been stellar for 40 years on whitetails.  It will work in your 6.5 G
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I previously posted support for the Black, but by most recent shot at 95 yards was perfect, but there was zero blood. None. I was lucky I stumbled upon her 25 yards away in the dark. Huge, instantaneous expansion but no pass through.

Trying to find Fusions in stock is like hen’s teeth.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a sample of 1, but for what it's worth.  Large doe broadside at 80 yds.  High shoulder shot, punched both shoulders, exit wound was about golf ball size.  Massive damage in chest cavity, but very little blood shot meat. Deer just folded up and never twitched.  Factory Hornady custom 123gr SST from 20" barreled Howa mini bolt action.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Killed a bull elk at 30 ish yards with a 123 gr sst thru an 18 in 5r barrel.
got the ammo thru SGAMMO
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone have any experience with 6.5 Grendel Prvi Partizan 120 Grain HP BT Hollow Point Ammo - PP6GH?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Targetsportsusa is the only place I can find any ratings on the PP and it only had 3 but they were all 5 starts out of 5.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi-partizan-6-5-grendel-ammo-120-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail-pp6gh-p-110116.aspx#reviews
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I use Hornady 123gr eld-m with both my LaRue 6.5 grendel and Howa Mini Action. Defender Ammunition makes a load using a 123gr SMK which I'm really interested in trying out.

https://www.defenderammunition.com/products/6-5-grendel
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I've started loading with 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and been very happy with them. This is out of a bolt action.

I went through some others years back before I discovered these that I wasn't happy with, for either accuracy or terminal ballistics reasons. Wish I could remember the specifics.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I have been using 123 SST from my 12.5 Grendel for several years. A couple coyotes, 4 deer, and a couple dozen hogs later, I’m still pretty happy. Very accurate and lots of expansion.

A little too much expansion at close ranges for deer, as I’ve not had an exit wound yet. All that energy gets dumped into the animal however, and a shot to the vitals turns the lungs to jelly. Very little blood trail as a result, but I’ve not had a deer travel more than 20 yards, so I’m ok with the trade-off.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#32]
123 SST

My homie @TGE just got some 120 Gold Dots which I believe are what's used the factory Fusion ammo.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep, I've been a fan of the Fusion rounds, and Gold Dot bullets. Have recovered several of the 223 bullets from deer and like the expansion and damage.

The 120gr out of the 6.5G seem to perform well on hogs. It's tough to say since I don't dress the animals, but I think they're as good as anything else and accurate in my gun. Knocked down a big boar at almost 250 yards a couple weeks ago. I have shot ELDs and SSTs, and right now I like the Gold Dot/Fusion the best for game.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is the 120gr Fusion available as a reloading component?

SST is the standard answer, OP.  I really wish Hornady would make the ELD-X in a 123gr variety.
View Quote

I don’t believe the fusion is available but the Speer gold dot is and they may be the same bullet. I also would love an ELDX 123 grain. The new tacTX looks awesome as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#35]
is speer only for reloading?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#36]
The new Barnes Tac TX 115 should be a sweet round.
For reloading and killing slightly larger game I would do the 129 Nosler ABLR. If fired at 2400 it retains 1900fps and 1k ft lbs at 400 yards. They also expand down to 1300 fps so that should take you to 1000 yards with expansion. Not advised for game but more possibilities if there is a sweet deer at 5 or 600.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Speer Gold Dot and Federal Fusion use the same bullets - Speer Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is the SST a hollow-point?

Is the Fusion a hollow-point?

Where are you finding your rounds?  I cannot find any on line.   Went to Bass Pro this morning and they didn't have a single 6.5 Grendel round in the store.  

Thanks
View Quote

The SST is a ballistic tip

Fusions are an exposed lead tipped bullet that have the lead fused to the jacket.  Kinda like a bonded bullet but not quite.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Speer Gold Dot and Federal Fusion use the same bullets - Speer Gold Dots.
View Quote

Source for this? I hear such good things about Fusion bullets, but they seem to be hard to find as component projectiles.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#40]
123 grain ELD-M’s put them down hard. Shot a buck at 50 yards last year with them. He piled up 30 yards from where he was hit and his lungs poured out on the ground like soup when we got him to the processor. It was a pass through, so I wasn’t able to recover the bullet. I may try the SST’s this year, but after seeing that performance, I may stick with what I have.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#41]
My go to round for hog hunting is Maker Overwatch Field 110 gr

Maker 6.5 Grendel
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#42]
123 SST
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Federal Fusion 120 grain gets my vote--×100! Tried just about all factory loads for Grendel and the Fusions were definitely  the most accurate not to mention the bullets work great on deer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I shoot hornady black on hogs. No complaints
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top