Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2020 11:51:53 AM EDT
I never used to conceal carry while backpacking but now want to.  The problem I'm having is how to carry.  Like most folks that CC I have several holsters but they all seem to be in the way of the waist belt of my backpack.   I don't want to open carry so what do you guys do?
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#1]
HPG Recon Kit Bag, FTW.

One of the nicest pieces of gear I have
ever bought. I use it to CCW on back
packing trips, while 4 wheeling, and
day hikes.

And, yea, I know. FPNI, and all that.

Link

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
what he said.  HPG chest thing
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of stock except for ranger green.   I'll wait for coyote tan or black to get back in stock I guess.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HPG Recon Kit Bag, FTW.

day hikes.

Link

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/CVStoreImages/REKBCY2_1000.JPG

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
fpni
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
FPNI

I have two HPG kit bags, the OP snubby and the V3 SAR. Great for hunting, too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
HPG Recon Kit Bag, FTW.

day hikes.

Link

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/CVStoreImages/REKBCY2_1000.JPG

View Quote

HPG is what I use.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If bring a gun at all, it's nothing more than an LCP that slips into my camera bag.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I sling a fanny pack through the shoulder straps of my backpack so it’s on my lower chest. Carry my G43 and spare mag in there. Works great and nobody thinks it’s anything but my snacks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
HPG snubby, fits up to a G19.  I use it for my G43 along with my hydration daypack for hiking and have had it for about 6yrs now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#12]
FPDNNI- First post does not nail it.  While an excellent piece of American made gear, a chest pack is not for everyone or all conditions.  If it works for you great but I find them too hot during most of the year.  I don't mind a chest pack when it's colder out or when I'm not moving around much like when fly fishing (I use a fishing chest pack when wearing waders for example), but I do not like a pack on my chest during most of the year when I'm actually hiking, it traps heat and I soak it with sweat.  My usual hiking/backpacking gun is a 642 that I carry in either a small camera pouch on my waistbelt or in a fanny pack.  I started doing it that way in the '80s with a Rossi .38 since it was the smallest gun I owned at the time and even though I've tried other methods and different guns I always seem to come back to one of those two methods.  Nobody pays attention to either, especially in the woods.  Experiment and see what works best for you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#13]
For concealed carry with a backpack, simply nothing works better than a chest rig for a mid-full size handgun when backpacking.  HPG Kit Bags really own the market, but their are other options out there (Kifaru, Helikon-Tex, etc.).   I personally have gone with HPG and own a half-dozen chest rigs.  My favorite is the "Orignal Snubby" for my needs.  I probably have close to a 2000 backpacking miles with Kit Bags, and hundreds of others doing trail running, mountain biking, and kayaking.  They simply work quite well for concealed carry and integrating with a traditional pack with waist-belt.

That said, anything that covers your chest will trap heat.  I've learned to deal with it as we hike a lot on the SE in the summer with high humidity.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Hill People Gear kit bag.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I hiked the Laurel Highlands Trail in PA with an AR pistol strapped to my pack.  I put a tent pole bag over it.  Concealed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I put in a stash pocket in my pack.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#17]
fanny pack in front
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's what I did for a last minute idea.  I put my shield in a pocket holster and wore pants with large pocket openings in the front.  It worked really good.  Before I left the house I tried drawing it a few times and it worked just fine.  Holster stayed in pocket and gun came right out without snagging on anything.  One advantage this method has, IMO, is that it looks natural to have your hand in your pocket.  I will be limited to certain pants tho.  
I like the fanny pack idea and might try that out but I will still get the HPG chest rig when they get the color I want in stock.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 12:19:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Another option I'm experimenting with is the 5.11 LV6, this guys vid shows the different ways to set it up.  I use a MFT or Raven vanguard 2 trigger guard holster with some paracord attached inside to assist with removal when drawing from both the 5.11 and HPG.  I haven't quite figured out a perfect setup with the 5.11 and a hydration daypack yet.

So Many Carry Options! 5.11 Tactical LV6 Sling Pack

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 3:31:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't backpack, but when I'm out and about and don't want a normal waist holster, I just pocket carry a S&W Shield.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I use the Hill People Gear chest rig and I put a small kydex trigger guard cover in it tethered with 550 cord.

Works great. Mine usually has a G26 with spare mag, Surefire, cell phone and Spyderco.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't backpack, but when I'm out and about and don't want a normal waist holster, I just pocket carry a S&W Shield.
View Quote

I really can't have anything in my pockets when backpacking. As much as I love bushcraft, I guarantee those guys with compass, wad of 550 cord, space-blanket, multitool, 6x1/2" ferro rod, etc. in their pockets don't trek 15 miles a day with several hundred feet of elevation changes.  I've tried, but all I carry in my backpacking shorts/pants are a very small (Spyderco Dragonfly) folder.  I don't even like a bulky belt when wearing a pack with waist belt, and if it's the least bit technical, I really want to minimize anything in my pockets.  What I would normally EDC for the outdoors, now resides in my Kit Bag along with my CCW.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 3:55:33 AM EDT
[#23]
HPG Heavy Recon is what I use.  Works great.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Here's what I did for a last minute idea.  I put my shield in a pocket holster and wore pants with large pocket openings in the front.  It worked really good.  Before I left the house I tried drawing it a few times and it worked just fine.  Holster stayed in pocket and gun came right out without snagging on anything.  One advantage this method has, IMO, is that it looks natural to have your hand in your pocket.  I will be limited to certain pants tho.  
I like the fanny pack idea and might try that out but I will still get the HPG chest rig when they get the color I want in stock.
View Quote

Having much of anything with any weight to it in your pickets while hiking is an invitation to the hiking equivalent of rugburn.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#25]
If it hasn't been mentioned, check out the HPG Kit Bag.  

I wear it sometimes even when the gun is holstered on my hip.   It's a great place to carry the cell phone, wallet, extra mag, map/compass, snacks, etc when hiking, doing tractor work,  or 4-wheeling.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#26]
HPG recon bag. Glock 19 in the back and notepad, pencil, snacks, etc in the front pouch.

I don't care for any other options. Wearing a belt sucks under the waist strap on the pack. Pocket carry is not comfortable on long hikes. Carrying in the pack is useless if seconds count. If you could rig up a holster that doesn't need a belt, that would be a close second. As long as it rides in a position that doesn't become very uncomfortable on the way. The chest rig is pretty comfy but it's another spot you'll sweat under, so there's that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Strong side as usual.  Nothing says you have to use the hip belt.  I normally hook them back around the bottom of the pack.

CD
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you could rig up a holster that doesn't need a belt...
View Quote
lol is my picture not showing?

I'll take carry on the pack belt over any of the other options.  Although I recently picked up a tanker holster to carry my 1911 when I'm just doing short strolls without a pack.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'll take carry on the pack belt over any of the other options.  Although I recently picked up a tanker holster to carry my 1911 when I'm just doing short strolls without a pack.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you could rig up a holster that doesn't need a belt...

The Bianchi is a great holster for outdoor carry but it definitely doesn't fit in the "concealed" category.  I've got a Bianchi as well as a leather flap holster for my Blackhawk and like them for riding four wheelers; I'd open carry more if there weren't a couple of issues with it.  I have used a tanker holster before with a light shirt over it and it worked pretty well (I like the older M3 style).  We didn't get "shall issue" until the '90s and even then there are/were restrictions including no carry in government buildings which includes park offices, ranger stations, etc.  I've never had anyone look twice at my camera pouch or buttpack (not that I would do anything I wasn't supposed to of course).  

Was the Wilderness Safepcker already mentioned?  https://www.thewilderness.com/safepacker-concealment-holster/ A lot of folks on here used to recommend them but I've never tried one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Ok. You win.

Quoted:
I hiked the Laurel Highlands Trail in PA with an AR pistol strapped to my pack.  I put a tent pole bag over it.  Concealed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Hill people gear is really nice and you get used to the chest pouch even in hot weather.

Op- keep an eye on eBay, they pop up from time to time in some of the better colors.

I ended up scoring a Triple Aught Design chest rig that I kept protection and a few odds and ends for extended hikes in.

It’s kind of clunky and awkward, when you’re really moving, but it’s nice to never have to search through pockets and have everything “up in your workspace” as my man would say.

The hundreds of miles I’ve hiked in deep woods has only reinforced the fact that I’m more worried about humans when out there than any animals.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#32]
The HPG is where its at.  I have the Recon and its great to go up or down with. I have attached a water bottle and flashlight on it or spare rifle mags.

Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I carry a Glock 26 OWB at about 2-3 o’clock, with a solid belt, and it works fine with the pack waist straps and loose shirt over top.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Personally prefer the HPG runner's or snubby, or even the original vs the Recon. A little more discreet without the tacticool molle look since I have absolutely no intention of strapping more shit on the front of it. They're also a little smaller, so less coverage to sweat under.

If I was going to be wandering in Brown Bear  territory, it would be a Kenai chest rig with a G20 loaded with Underwood 200gr Hardcast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top