Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2018 3:38:17 PM EDT
I am blessed to live high up on a ridge.    I just got a Diamond x50a dual band medium gain antenna up on the roof this weekend.   I can hit repeaters 50-60 miles away, some with as little as 5w.

I have a university radio club 2m repeater programmed into the  mobile I have setup in my fledgling shack.  It's about 8 miles away.
There is a repeater with the exact same frequency 55 miles away.   I am able to hear it just slightly. Tons of static.  You can hear voices but can't really make out what they are saying.  Repeaters use different PL tones.  If I turn the squelch up all the way I can cut out some of the traffic from the distant repeater but not all of it.

Any solutions?

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Does the repeater you want to hear transmit a PL tone? If so, set your radio to require the PL on RX.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#2]
ReRead the instructions.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It's quite common. Usually the signal strength from a distant repeater depends on propagation. To remedy this, a frequency coordinator in your area suggests that one of the conflicting repeaters will use a non-standard offset (negative instead of positive and vise versa). Different PL tones are also used.
Check out information on both repeaters for PL tones, as mentioned above. Also, with FM modulation, you can only hear the strongest signal on a given frequency.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
turn on CTCSS encode and decode with the proper tone for each repeater

hopefully they transmit a tone on the repeater outputs

you could even make 2 separate memory channels
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ReRead the instructions.
View Quote
dude, you need to learn to be a little more helpful

qrz.com is full of assholes that are spring loaded to run off new guys

here on ARFCOM, we try to help them

I’ve been licensed over 25 years and still learning

maybe get a snickers bar or something
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not seeing any great solutions, other than SOME of the above.
See if the closest repeater has, or can put a tone on the repeater output. (best solution.)
You could run a second and smaller antenna that doesn't have the ears and use that one for close in work.
The other is learn to live with it. (A lousy choice).

Out here in the flat lands we occasionally get some ducting and 2 meters opens wide up. I've actually programmed in a few duplicates (w/ different PL tones) for that. What sucks about that is one of my duplicates is 146.820, and the local one doesn't use tones. I've talked to the club trustee about this, and he pretty much told me as long as the local is quiet to go ahead and go for the DX. He did ask that I mention when I tx that I'm going through the DX repeater, so locals listening to 1 side of the conversation know whats up.

As for the one negative post up above, I've got nothing good to say. I've seen several of your posts in this forum and have not been impressed with anything said by you yet. Perhaps you might be a better fit elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Enough
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top