Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2017 10:49:41 PM EDT
the wife and I just got back from our first south African safari booked through EAI outdoors at Kubusi safaris and all I can say is WOW!
the wife wanted me to shoot first so the first two days we looked for impala, saw many and got on the sticks several times but never had a shot till the second evening. my ph Cody and I spotted some bachelor rams just hanging out on edge of the bush and the stalk was on. got to about 200 yards from them sitting and on sticks waiting for my ram to clear the others. once he cleared I took the shot and down he went. the ice was broken!

wife's turn for impala, we had time for a couple of stalks the second night but no shots.
next day around noon after being on and off the sticks a lone impala ram was grazing on the edge of the bush at a good place for a stalk. at about 150 yards she made the shot and her impala was down.

next was springbok and we moved to tuskers lodge. the ph's decided to do a driven hunt since there was 5 of us that had springbok on our list. my wife went with our ph and I went with another and when they came to us we both got our springbok with one shot each.

now to kudu, off to yet another farm our ph got permission to hunt on. within 10 minutes we was into kudu but Cody said they was too small. after seeing 7 or 8 different bulls and walking in horizontal rain our tracker spotted a kudu and after looking him over for a few seconds my ph said get on the sticks. talk about an adrenaline rush. ph said he was @ 320 and after first shot he took off, ph said shoot again and after third shot and seeing he was hit he went over the mountain. we drove around to the next road and spotted what I thought was a tremendous amount of blood, Cody looked concerned and didn't say a word. tracked him for about 50 yards and saw him try to get up, Cody had me shoot him again and down he went. we waited for a few minutes and then walked up to him and he proceeded to jump up again. another shot and he fell over.

my list was done and only a blesbok left for my wife, after a couple of stalks she got a shot but missed. next day we put on a stalk to some blesbok that we saw from across the valley, I stayed back and they got to within 40 yards of them.

list filled and a half day left to look for other animals and we decided i would try for a blesbok. a couple of failed stalks and time was up.
cant wait to go back! our ph Cody did more than we could have ever imagined and was very calming to both my wife and I before the shots, even though he said he was as nervous/excited as us before the shots. :)
we saw 15 different species of animals (buffalo, nyala, impala, blue wildebeest, giraffe, hartebeest, water buck, kudu, blesbok, duiker, steenbok, gemsbok, vervet monkeys, baboons, and dassies and a bunch of different birds and insects, beautiful country and great people at both Glen Boyd and tuskers lodge.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations on a successful trip and a cool wife that will go hunting with you! Once you get a taste of African hunting you will always want to go back.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:45:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#2]
Congrats on your trip.

My second day in Africa and I was plotting on how long until I could come back a second time!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a good time. My guess is you're looking for a buffalo hunt by now!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:16:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brewster6514] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Looks like a good time. My guess is you're looking for a buffalo hunt by now!
View Quote

need a .375 h&h,  my are they pricey.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brewster6514:

need a .375 h&h,  my are they pricey.
View Quote
Cabelas in Lacey has a 458 for $619. A Mauser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top