Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2020 5:06:01 PM EDT
wondering if anyone has any experience or guidance on electric bikes?  

Main use would be around my farm on fields and trails both for hunting and recreation.  

It is fairly hilly and wooded.  

Bike would be used year round in MO.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
In for interest.  Call me crazy the but the idea of throwing a bike in the back of the truck and riding on out beyond people for little handgun hunting on the fly, appeals
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#2]
There are lots of options, most depending on your budget.

UBCO 2x2 The UBCO is currently undergoing field trails with the New Zealand military, it is a 2x2 (dual motors in the wheels with about a 75 mile range) the price is quite steep at $7700 or so.

Juiced Bikes have a full line of different types of electric bikes with lower pricing.  Range is also lower 30 - 40 miles.

Link Posted: 7/31/2020 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm wondering how these will go over with say, the game wardens??  Would love to have one to hit the woods, but would it be considered a motorized vehicle like an ATV and therefore illegal in many places??

Doc
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvqibD_d9NA
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got a specialized Turbo Levo. It had front and rear suspension and is very quiet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve got a specialized Turbo Levo. It had front and rear suspension and is very quiet.
View Quote

I just looked at one of these, but can't convince myself that I'd get enough use out of it to justify the expense. Why didn't they have these when I riding every weekend?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm wondering how these will go over with say, the game wardens??  Would love to have one to hit the woods, but would it be considered a motorized vehicle like an ATV and therefore illegal in many places??

Doc
View Quote

I believe universally any e-bike under 750w is still considered a bike for non registration purposes.  Each state may look at them case by case though, especially if they get popular in the poaching ring.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I have done a ton of research into them and for around the homestead or hunting property, they aren't a bad idea.  If your stand/hide is a good distance away, it's a pretty quick and quite way to get there.

The only issue is their niche purpose and their outlandish prices.  Right now, they're still more novelty than utility from an investment perspective, but they are closing the gap and there is a lot of real good innovation in the market.  

They aren't on my immediate radar right now, but I still like to track the innovative developments and reviews.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 3:27:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested in this one.
Radwagon
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This would be my choice as well. Enthusiast level quality and a great dealer network if it ever needs any work.

Yamaha is making one at a similar price point also that is very interesting

Lesser known brand, Intense , has a model at a similar price point to (Intense, however, Is very well known amongst the hard-core mountain bike community and they have been around for a long time

I do not have an E bike yet - but it is only because of finances. Riding my mountain bike is my main source of fitness and recreation but I just had my first knee replacement at 49 years of age and one of these would seem to extend my range
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been looking at the Quietkat Warrior. It is a fat tire ebike built for hunting. They are running a pretty good deal on then now, but I just don't know if we'll use them enough yo justify the expense.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Build it yourself. Lunacycle get and old mountain bike and mount an electric motor on it. I built up a mountain bike with a cyclone motor. If I shift it halfway down the chain ring it will pull wheelies from a stop. Top speed is in the mid 30s. Yes, there are a few shortcomings but it is hard to beat them for speed and power.
Hell of a lot cheaper too.
But you best have some electrical and mechanical skills to build it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Some of the electric bikes are more like electric trail motorcycles than bicycles. Those look interesting, but they cost and weigh more. The bicycles that have motors are usually more of a power assist. You still need to pedal some to get going, not much, and the electric motor then provides a huge boost.

A buddy of mine has a Rad mini, which is a 20" wheel fat-tire folding bicycle. With wide 20" tires it's good for more off-road, slower travel along a hiking trail or through the woods. Great for taking a trail to a deer stand, but less ideal for longer rides on paved roads.  The fat tires are a tradeoff, they help on trails, off road, and rough pavement, but need more energy to get moving. That's where the motor comes in.

I have a basic mountain bike that I added a Luna motor kit to and it works really well for street use and is still ok for modest trails. I can pick up the bike easily and put in my car, and when the battery is removed, the motor has only added a few pounds to the bike. It has really good power, and still functional as a bicycle. Installation will take a few hours and you need to be handy. If you can't change sparkplugs in a car, then it's not for you. The Rad mini would be better for off-road utility use and is ready to go as-is. It's also lower than a typical mountain bike, which to me makes it easer to control on a slower, rough trail.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
4 of my friends bought the Sur Ron X Bike, and I’ve ridden it a fair bit. I’m a motorcycle and mountain bike guy, and I was pretty darned impressed. Ergonomics like a 125cc mx bike, but rides more like a trials bike. Weighs like 110 pounds, will run around 50 mph and go a decent amount on a charge.

Cool bike!

Link to Sur Ron
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Doc
View Quote

There have been some changes in what is and isn't ADA compliant in the last couple of years.  They have expanded the definition. This is a quote from an ADA compliance info pamphlet.

"Advances in technology have given rise to new power-driven devices that are not necessarily designed for people with
disabilities, but are being used by some people with disabilities for mobility. The term "other power-driven mobility devices"
is used in the revised ADA regulations to refer to any mobility device powered by batteries, fuel, or other engines, whether
or not they are designed primarily for use by individuals with mobility disabilities for the purpose of locomotion."

I use this quite often on maintained trails and such.

Ground clearance isn't great, but it has a listed range of 36 miles and a top speed of about 25.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Hummm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top