Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2019 12:46:23 PM EDT
Hey everybody,

I had this in my cart waiting for the price to drop on it - it just did. A coleman dual-fuel white gas / gasoline lantern for $55. I've had it in my cart for 2 years, you will never find it cheaper.

The coleman lanterns are very decent for what they are. While battery power is very efficient and easy to use, and it has it's place, the fact is that a sealed gas can with white gas will be fine today, and 10 years from now. Put up a few gallons in a military can in your shed, and you will have light (or cooking) with your coleman lantern (or stove) whenever you need it for the next decade or two.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Premium-Dual-Lantern-Carry/dp/B0009PURIQ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=coleman+lantern&qid=1551717538&s=gateway&sr=8-5
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, store a couple of extra mantles in the bottom of the lantern.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a Coleman propane lantern. We like it.

I'm sure if you need a lantern this would be a good buy.

Given a choice I'd pick propane just for ease of use but the dual fuel gives more options.

Thanks for posting the link OP
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
There's no doubt that various other options each have their pros and cons. As an example, propane is a good fuel, because it is simple to store a bunch of individual 16oz propane cylinders, or a 20# tank, and it does not go bad with age. The drawback is that if it leaks, the vapors may be explosive.

White gas seems like it is from an era just before propane became widespread, but it still has it's place.  From the various posts I have read, liquid white gas will last quite a long time. If it is stored in a sealed metal jerry-can, it seems like it would last years and years.  It's been interesting (and surprising to me) that several people have recently posted that they have come across a coleman white gas lantern or stove that has been in storage for decades and has still fired up no problem. Knowing how gasoline seems to go bad after a year or so, I'm surprised to read this, but I trust the evaluations of the people on this forum. Sounds like a good fuel to me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both the propane and dual fuel lanterns and Coleman single burner stoves.

I haven't fired up either dual fuels, preferring the ease of propane.

During hurricane Irma, it was electric lanterns, candles and flashlights over the 84 hours I was w/o power.

I'm glad to have the dual fuels, but they're just back-ups for outdoors use.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 14 Coleman fuel lanterns, 2 propane's, 8 Coleman stoves that run off of Coleman fuel and 2 that are propane.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Hit up some flea markets starting this spring, found 5 Coleman white gas lanterns for $20. Now I have my eye out for Colemans dual gas stoves, seen some but looked beyond repair (rusted out) and wanting too much for them. A big plus is you can order practically any part to repair your Coleman product so it will last a lifetime
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 3:58:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
a sealed gas can with white gas will be fine today, and 10 years from now.
View Quote
And so will a pack of lithium batteries.

Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#8]
We have several Coleman units in both fuel and propane.  Those battery lanterns don't put off that nice heat the fuel ones do.  Before we had power to our cabin I spent lots of time with the Coleman lantern going for both light and to take the chill out of the air.

The Wife likes to use the propane units; I like the fuel ones better.

Just looked up Walmart's price for Coleman fuel = $12.99/gal.

Our home will always have Coleman stoves and lanterns on hand for camping and "just in case".

The small propane bottles have been stored unheated for several years from -20 and lower to over 105, all have worked just fine.  Some of our fuel cans are rusty on the outside but bright and clean on the inside.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those battery lanterns don't put off that nice heat the fuel ones do.
View Quote
In the several weeks after Katrina or Maria, you would have had trouble convincing anyone that producing large amounts of heat is a feature.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the heads up.  We have lots of kerosene lamps (mostly Dietz) & I have one propane mantel lamp out at the tractor shed with an adapter to run off the larger tanks that are out there for the generator, but no liquid fuel mantel lamps.  Figured that would be a good one for potential use with unleaded (always some around for the chain saws) & have one incoming.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In the several weeks after Katrina or Maria, you would have had trouble convincing anyone that producing large amounts of heat is a feature.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe not in TX but LeonardC's location shows to be Alaska.  Anything that puts off heat is beneficial there.

What works well in one area, may not work well in other areas.  When it gets super cold, batteries have less available capacity so in his super cold climate, battery powered lights under certain conditions may not be ideal.  In TX, even after a hurricane there is usually sunlight that can be used to charge a flashlight for nighttime use.  Not much sunlight in AK during the winter.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Around here, it's pretty nice in an ice fishing shanty.

I have the duel-fuel lantern and the stove. They are both easy to light. I have not tried gasoline, but starting with white gas is simple. Pour gas in, pump until you feel a good amount of resistance, turn knob, insert lighter, turn gas down after a few seconds. 60% of the time, it works every time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up one of these and it arrived today.   We had one camping years and years ago (at least thirty years ago) and it worked well.

I went ahead and fired it up with a ten year old can of white gas.   It is running in the back yard now.   Outdoor temp is about 10Deg F and it is a little breezy.    Been running over an hour so far.

One question if anyone knows, approx how often do you need to pump it up?   I don’t remember how often we did back in the day.   It would be nice to know what other people’s experience is in case this unit is significantly different than “normal”.   Thank you.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#14]
so it runs on regular unleaded gasoline as well?
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 1:39:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I feel old now.

I remember when Coleman Lanterns were about $19.

The old green lanterns worked great with leaded gas, unleaded gas, and 10% ethanol gas ( as did the old single burner pump stoves ).

Nothing like the sound of a Coleman lantern on the front end of my Jon Boat in the middle of a dark swamp in Louisiana

It takes the creepy out of the darkness in deep woods

eta: Backup parts (pump etc) may not be necessary for 10 years or more...  it would be nice to have them on hand
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I feel old now.

I remember when Coleman Lanterns were about $19.

The old green lanterns worked great with leaded gas, unleaded gas, and 10% ethanol gas ( as did the old single burner pump stoves ).
View Quote
If you remember running them on leaded gas then you are old.   .  I can say that because I remember running them on leaded gas too.

I let it run for over an hour last night and I couldn’t help but notice the smell when I brought it back in.   For the record, it didn’t smell bad at all but it sure brought back some great memories of camping back in the 70’s.

OP, thanks for pointing out this deal.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
so it runs on regular unleaded gasoline as well?
View Quote
Yes but.....As long as white gas is available I would never run one on regular gasoline.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We have several Coleman units in both fuel and propane.  Those battery lanterns don't put off that nice heat the fuel ones do.  Before we had power to our cabin I spent lots of time with the Coleman lantern going for both light and to take the chill out of the air.

The Wife likes to use the propane units; I like the fuel ones better.

Just looked up Walmart's price for Coleman fuel = $12.99/gal.

Our home will always have Coleman stoves and lanterns on hand for camping and "just in case".

The small propane bottles have been stored unheated for several years from -20 and lower to over 105, all have worked just fine.  Some of our fuel cans are rusty on the outside but bright and clean on the inside.
View Quote
The off brand at Walmart is around $9.00 and works fine.

I have over 2 dozen Coleman Lanterns. Old ones from the 40's, collectable ones from the 50's, new ones, Army issue..... Love 'em all!

I've bought ones with 30+ year old gas in them that fired right up. Usually a couple drops on the old leather pump is all that's really needed to get them going.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:38:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I would not transfer fuel to Jerry cans. The cans are factory sealed and work fine.

I have never seen coleman fuel go bad. People are burning fuel from the 1960s. I have used gasoline in older equipment... I plugged a 220 generator by running dark urine yellow old fuel. I used fresh gas in a 413 stove without issue.

Be sure to oil your pumps every few years, and buy 2C-HG mantles where available.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Good to know that the generic walmart brand white gas works fine.  The reason I moved my gas into military steel gas cans is that I had 2 gallons of white gas on the shelf near my "pool shock" powdered chlorine. Well, I learned that even a double zip lock bag will not stop vapors from escaping from the pool shock, and it corroding everything around it, including the white gas cans. (there are other threads about the difficulties in storing pool shock).

The military gas cans are overkill, but at least now they sit in my garage with my gasoline fuel stacked up all nice and neat.

I can also attest that having extra cooking and lighting options can help you in a serious SHTF scenario.

A few Thanksgivings ago, my sister was putting together a big dinner, but had more dishes to cook than space on her stove. So I brought my coleman 2 burner camp stove, set it up on the kitchen counter (windows opened a bit for ventilation from all the heat) and with a few extra burners we kept dinner on schedule.

OK, so it wasn't a real emergency, and an induction single burner I have would have worked too, but it was good to have the stove and fuel, and it worked fine when needed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#21]
In that case buy the stovetop oven as well!
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#22]
With all the solar/usb/battery bank options nowadays why consider such a bulky antiquated unit?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
With all the solar/usb/battery bank options nowadays why consider such a bulky antiquated unit?
View Quote
Why would you not consider having one?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#24]
"...bulky antiquated unit."  Sounds like me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Coleman fuel is NAPTHA, identical to Zippo fluid. which reportedly has something like a theoretical 200 year shelf life.

Here's some 45 year old Coleman fuel still working fine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDGlzbg62k

By comparison, even the best Lithium Batteries have a shelf life of 10 years; I don't know about rechargeables but likely closer to 5 for them.

So for a true long term SHTF - or more likely - just long term Storage - Coleman fuel has the advantage of being able to be stored for decades.

It's also quite versatile:
-Lanterns/lamps
-Stoves
-Lighters
-Hand warmers
-Accelerant for igniting wet wood
-Improvised torches
-Excellent cleaning solution for knives and firearms

And the lighters, stoves, and lanterns that run coleman fuel are much easier to repair then a modern electronic.

That said, for camping or a blackout or power outage, or the beginnings of a SHTF, I would be using batteries.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

By comparison, even the best Lithium Batteries have a shelf life of 10 years; I don't know about rechargeables but likely closer to 5 for them.
View Quote
A battery's "shelf life" is defined as the amount of time until the battery had lost 20 percent of its original capacity - which means that it still 80 percent of its original capacity.

So, a lithium battery with an advertised 10 year "shelf life" will still have half of its original capacity in around 25 years.

Note that the "shelf life" assumes storage at room temperature - Stored in a 40 degree fridge instead, the actual shelf life increases severalfold.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A battery's "shelf life" is defined as the amount of time until the battery had lost 20 percent of its original capacity - which means that it still 80 percent of its original capacity.

So, a lithium battery with an advertised 10 year "shelf life" will still have half of its original capacity in around 25 years.

Note that the "shelf life" assumes storage at room temperature - Stored in a 40 degree fridge instead, the actual shelf life increases severalfold.
View Quote
Im certainly rooting for you to be right, as I have a bunch of CR123's and Lithium AA's of various ages.

On the other hand, a few months ago I pulled some old CR123's out of the garage, which were purchased around 2006-07, and they were almost dead. On a multi-mode flashlight, they could only produce enough power to activate the low-med settings.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#28]
^Don't take my word for it - Download the manufacturer's application manual.

The shelf life info is on Page 14.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I take what the manufacture says with a grain of salt.

I have encountered dead batteries that were well within the
“Best By” date the manufacture printed on the packaging and I KNOW that I stored them well.   These were name brand batteries as well so either the manufacturer had a bad batch or the items were counterfeit.   Either way it would be bad to find this out during SHTF.

I do have LED lanterns as well as Propane and White Gas lanterns.   They all have their place.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
That was good info, thank you.

Apparently, per a little Googling, the Energizer Lithium AA's use a different chemistry then CR123's:

"There are two chemistries mentioned here. The Lithium Manganese Dioxide of 3v primary cells (ie CR123) and Lithium Iron Disulfide of ~1.7v primary cells (e2 L91's and L92's) have different self discharge rates, shelf lives, and temperature effects.

Lithium Iron Disulfide has the better shelf life of ~15-20 years, where Lithium Manganese Dioxide is about 10 years. Lithium cells can also "go to sleep", and may need "woken up" after long periods of inactivity."

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?198544-15-Year-shelf-life-for-Lithium-batteries-Don-t-bet-on-it

That thread is pretty interesting; 50% of users have had batteries fail before their experation date, while 50% have had them last longer.

I may need to invest in some more AA based lights and lanterns for that reason.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 2:54:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd trust the longevity of white gas before I trust the longevity of batteries. I've had too many batteries fail before their rated lifespan.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#32]
This brings to mind a trick I remember reading in one of the old outdoor magazines under tips and tricks. You can put a small terracotta flower pot on top of the lantern and it will function as a heater as well as a light. It has to be a diameter a bit smaller than the outer rim of the shade.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Crown fuel is much cheaper than Coleman fuel.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crown-Camp-Fuel-Gallon/51741744
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#34]
OP here. I got my lantern in last week. Looks good. A buddy of mine got one too. He had not used one of these since camping as a kid, but we installed the mantles, fueled / pumped it up, and had it glowing in 5 minutes.

All of the discussion about batteries is interesting, but I still think the simple white gas stoves and lanterns have their place. A surefire flashlight or quality AA light are definitely the first choice for a tactical light. You can't exactly put a Coleman lantern on the end of your rifle and use it to clear an unknown room. So you should definitely save your batteries for those occasions. But for $30 you can put up a few gallons of white gas that will give you hours and hours of room filling light, or fuel your stove to boil water or cook food. And the gas will last for decades. You just can't argue with a fuel that will give you light, heat, and cooking for the next 25 years for $15 or $20.

A tactical flashlight is definitely a great tool, but you can't boil a pot of water with it. So I'm in the "get both" camp.

But on a different note, if you want to boil water with the minimum amount of fuel, I can vouch for the kelly kettles. With just a bunch of twigs and sticks you can boil a container full of water in minutes. They really do work.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm glad you like your lantern, but $55 is expensive. Most I've paid was $80 for an Avocado Sears but my least expensive was free
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:26:14 AM EDT
[#36]
On the "battery longevity" topic:   I needed a nine-volt battery for a new meter that I bought, pulled a 2016 Duracell from the drawer.   Packaging guarantees five years of storage.  Packaging was sealed.   It was stored in the heated/Air conditioned house.   It was dead.   Granted it was an Alkaline battery but the manufacturer said......    But that is why I take what they say with a grain of salt and make sure that I have multiple options.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#37]
I picked up a DF Coleman lantern in the Walmart clearance isle a year or 2 ago for $30, the box was opened but everything was there including the little funnel-----its worth checking there now and then
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I never have an issue cycling through batteries and making sure I always have fresh ones available. My "long term storage" never sits "long term." I have a couple dual fuels, but the go to lanterns have always ended up being LED for the last few years. A well designed LED lantern just does a better job of producing useable light, and is much safer and more convenient.

Doesn't hurt to have both (I do), but I would never go with just the gas lanterns these days.

If I didn't already have a dual fuel, a USGI, and a propane lantern, I'd be all over that deal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I have an old 220F that I saved from being scrapped.  It has a little rust on the tanks cap, but otherwise just needs a good cleaning and to be used a bit.  I have had it on the work bench of my shop for a year now and need to get around to cleaning it up.  I may do that this spring along with a few other pending projects.

With that said does anyone think the dual fuel model is worth dumping $55 on when I already have a small propane lantern along with several LED options?

No more impromptu arfcom buys for me!  I put it in my Amazon Wishlist to set on for a few days...
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have an old 220F that I saved from being scrapped.  It has a little rust on the tanks cap, but otherwise just needs a good cleaning and to be used a bit.  I have had it on the work bench of my shop for a year now and need to get around to cleaning it up.  I may do that this spring along with a few other pending projects.

With that said does anyone think the dual fuel model is worth dumping $55 on when I already have a small propane lantern along with several LED options?

No more impromptu arfcom buys for me!  I put it in my Amazon Wishlist to set on for a few days...
View Quote
Personally I prefer the propane model even though I think the dual fuel model is neat.  From a purely survival angle, the dual fuel model has more options (gasoline or white gas) but for most uses, a propane bottle is easier to work with.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have an old 220F that I saved from being scrapped.

With that said does anyone think the dual fuel model is worth dumping $55 on when I already have

View Quote
No.

Your 220F will need at most a cleaning and a cap gasket to run well on white gas or straight gasoline.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Also, store a couple of extra mantles in the bottom of the lantern.
View Quote
That’s the real weakness IMO. I have used those lanterns all my life and the fragile and consumable mantles are a big drawback.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Price is back up to $115.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No.

Your 220F will need at most a cleaning and a cap gasket to run well on white gas or straight gasoline.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.  Glad I didn't jump as I have a propane and the older Coleman fuel lantern.  Those plus a handful of LED lanterns are more than I need.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top