Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2018 11:06:30 AM EDT
I'm looking to expand the use of my ecomm batteries from just powering my radio when the power is out to making them available to charge USB devices.

I'm looking at a pretty simple setup, 120w panel into a charge controller, to the batteries. Battery output to radio (not connected all the time) and an output to a powerworx or similar usb charger.

I have 2, 35 ah batteries and several 7ah that I would connect to the system.

I'm thinking of buying some small anker portable power packs to keep at this station for when we go places the family can just grab and go.

Example Panel:
Bioenno 120w

Example USB:
USB hub

Charge Controller:
Genasun GV-10

Any suggestions on this idea?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd get the solar panel with a built-in charge controller.  One less thing to plug in.

In fact, I DID get one with a built-in charge controller.  This one.  Not quite as powerful as the one you linked to, but it works fine for me.  I think I got it from this company (ALLSUN), but to be honest, I can't remember for sure.  The panels are rigid, big and heavy, though, so it's not portable, at all (except in a pickup truck).

Crappy picture.  Panel is a lot cleaner than it looks here.  It's shiny black.  Charging my station backup battery.

Edit again:  The battery normally sits out in the garage, and I keep it charged with a Battery Tender.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the controller removable? I'm looking at a semi permanent setup with the panels outside all the time, and that controller isn't waterproof.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the controller removable?
View Quote
Nope.  Wouldn't want to leave this outside all the time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Overland Solar contacted me just before I quit my show interested in doing some sponsoring...I followed up and really liked the developer (he's a ham) but since I was on the way out, I didn't get too far.  FWIW, I'm just posting.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I've bought 3 solar units, 2 before I went to Puerto Rico, and one since I got back.

The one I took to PR was this one: ACOPower 105W folding panel that just barely fits into a rolling duffel bag

The one I bought most recently is this one: DOKIO 200W folding panel

Both of these came with solar charge controllers for 12V lead batteries. I attached powerpoles to them both so I could plug it into my power pack: Bioenno Power Pack 400 It has a built-in solar charger that charges the internal 35Ah LiFePO4 battery. It has USB outputs, AC outlets driven by a 300w pure sine inverter, and has a 12V cig lighter port.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top