Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2022 9:55:37 AM EDT
I've  pressure canned 24 pints of ground beef.  I put the drippings back into the jars and slightly packed.
I thought adding beef broth or water would alter the flavor so I didn't 'do it.  Can I expect the beef to dry out over time? I know the pressure canned environment is oxygen-free but there is still some air inside so I would expect there to be an issue over time.  Anyone else tried this?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Pressure canning the jar does not end up with any air, the temp is high enough that the air is expelled and replaced with steam from juices of what is being canned or broth/syrup etc inside the jar, then after the cooking part is done and the heat is removed the steam condenses forming a vacuum that holds the lid on the jar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top