[#1]
sure..   lots of pics..

brian
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m interested in seeing pics.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello all, after 1-1/2 years we finally have a toon in the driveway.

Our biggest hurdle in boat shopping was all the ignorant sellers out there

biggest complaints and issues?

1) Having a 20/24 ft with brand new furniture and a rotten deck with nasty carpet for $7500 to $8500, I would have to strip it down, and put another $750 in it for floor/carpet etc and then it has furniture which we do not want and would miss a year of using it (we are busy)

2)No trailers...they all said you can buy a trailer for a couple hundred dollars...reality? NO you can't, you're buddy bubba may have one for you

3) Everyone had full wrap around furniture that was in "good shape" for $6500+ which we didn't want

4) absolute basket cases, it is a good project...mmm...rotten deck, rotten furniture and no engine for wayyy to much money

5) lot's of boats with no engines for $4500...why in the heck would I spend that and then either find a used engine for $3500 or a new one for $8000

So cruising craigslist I found a pontoon that had been listed for a long time...mmm...wonder why?

Turns out he couldn't sell it because it had no furniture! And people would freak out when they priced a full set of furniture and most folks are not handy with doing stuff like that
Yes, exactly what we wanted

It had been winterized so we went and looked at it and said we would keep in touch, which we did every couple weeks

We went to "put eyes on it" he had replaced the deck with 50 year synthetic deck board, put railing back on and bought a console and seat from PONTOONSTUFF actually and called it good

We wanted a cruising, fishing and camping 'Toon this fit our bill

The decking added about 300 pounds to the boat, but with everything else off it still sits exactly like it did when he got it (you can still see waterline from PO)

Also having no furniture lets both our fathers to have easy wheel chair and walker access, two thumbs up

So after that wall of text, LOL
Here she is:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a quick look see at what we have

The fuel tank is clean and spotless in side (I atually pulled pickup out to check screen/sock, it looked nice and clean)

extra parts thrown in cubby on port side rear, need to make a few covers and shelves for the whole thing so when parked wifey can lay down in sun if she wants

Console will be redone, face plate is two pc and everything is crooked and dont need hole for a stereo and gages are hidden by the steering wheel

under the seat is some stuff, it will be emptied and turned into a livewell to save deck space

and side console for controls will be redone in fiberglass probably next fall, we will see how it goes

...so now i have mentioned the stuff transformed. ..oh by the way...fuck you photobucket, you fucked the internet. ..and here is a rusty cacti to sit on
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Decide to work on a livewell first, using the helm seat
Attachment Attached File

Disassembled and then a spray bar
Attachment Attached File

Then lets run some tubing, dont forget this is a pontoon boat...
Attachment Attached File

Got to love knock out punches....
Attachment Attached File

Installed
Attachment Attached File

Peeing outside like a big boat
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 8:16:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#6]
So the front was next, seats dont fit and hit rail with back, the rails were retarded and a trip hazard...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

So removed railing and will reuse on sundeck in back
Moved seats 3-1/2 inches
Attachment Attached File

Also moved previous installed shit cleats (1/4 slop because bolts too long) and added cleats with large backing washers.

ETA spelling
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice! My style of pontoon boat. No BS luxury seating etc.

How are the pontoons, especially at the water line? Evidence of any pitting or corrosion?

Was it kept in the water or a trailer queen?

One word of caution though. While sundecks are cool and please the wife, they make tinkering

on the engine harder unless they can be easily removed while afloat.

No doubt, at one time or another, you will have to tinker with something back near the engine

while afloat or while tuning carburetors etc.

LOL at finding a trailer for a few hundred bucks. Those people know better or they are insane.

A basic single axle pontoon trailer for a 20-22ft boat is $2500 minimum. Add another axle and it doubles.

Congrats and keep posting pics as you progress.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Someone put some elbow grease in polishing those pontoons.

I've got my eyes out for a small cheapo (blown/no motor, rottin wood) to convert to a floating portion for a dock.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Toons are in good shape, you can still see the water line mark so it spent a lot of time in the water

And after discussions last night, no sundeck!

I plan to add a 2 rod holders per side so we can trawl the lake, yes on a pontoon...

The toons are only polished where he could get to on the trailer

Hopefully be able to work on it this weekend, we spent Sunday picking up a couple puppies...8 hours of driving all over east TN
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:
Someone put some elbow grease in polishing those pontoons.

I've got my eyes out for a small cheapo (blown/no motor, rottin wood) to convert to a floating portion for a dock.
View Quote
Read above, he needed more elbow grease, he coated with sharkhide wiped on so it looks good from 10 ft away

good luck with search, we have them up here, for a floating picnic area they would be perfect
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Not much to add due to weather, i have about wore out fedex/ups and usps this past week.

DISCLAIMER BEFORE POSTING
These are for docking and loading NOT for driving on water...tthat is for chart plotter and compass, so

I made some simple brackets and

Front
Attachment Attached File

And

Back
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Got an hr today, so i finished up livewell fill/recirculate pump skid plate mount.
Attachment Attached File

Still going to add a "rollcage" probably

It will mount here with 5200
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome thread - nice build......  Post more pics
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Real quick mount for pump, clean, 60 grit and then 3M 5200

Off to take dad for ct scan...moar later

Notice precision angle adjustment?
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]
With all dr visits not much done, i got 4 panels sanded and painted...very pimp 10 foot paint job
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice! Keep going! IM me your registration number and I'll cut some vinyl lettering for it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#17]
KB thanks for offer, i am waiting for the registration  as we speak, it takes about 2 weeks to get them.

I need to take apart my throttle control box, there are 2 wires coming out, one goes to ground strip and the other goes to a fused positive, it is marked with tape and says throttle, the 10amp fuse is blown for it?

I found it yesterday trying to clean up wiring.

He has 8ga positive feeding a small fuse box and then the ground wire is......you ready?.....16ga
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:33:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Not much to add, busy weekend.

The black wire was a ground and the grey feeds everything in the control box, took apart box and no obvious pinch or cut wires
Attachment Attached File

And it only took an hour to figure out how to put the !=¥*&€%/ back together

Next pulled fuel pump off and rebuilt it, diaphragms were in bad shape

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And screwed around with this mess,lots of deadend wires, didn't even deburr shit...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Figured out why fuel gage didnt work....no power to it

And next will be why there is a 3 position switch and what does it do.....
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Three position switches are generally used for the NAV and ANCHOR lighting. Flip the switch one way and

both the front NAV (red and green) lights and the white ANCHOR (rear) lights come on.

Flip it the other way and only the ANCHOR light comes on for when you are anchored.

Most of the time, NAV/ANC lights use a grey wire for the positive.

Look up "marine wiring color codes" for the most common colors and what they are supposed to do.

This will only apply to boats made in the USA. The Suzi outboard wiring will be different but the boat itself

should follow those color codes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#21]
There is no color coding on this 30yr old boat, other than different speaker wire and whatever was left over from other projects it looks like.

Wife asked last night why i wired in one for the nav/mooring, and explained the difference between both
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bansil:
There is no color coding on this 30yr old boat, other than different speaker wire and whatever was left over from other projects it looks like.

Wife asked last night why i wired in one for the nav/mooring, and explained the difference between both
View Quote
I see some in the pic of the "dash" above. Purple for keyed 12v, pink for fuel level sender, grey for NAV lights.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
I see some in the pic of the "dash" above. Purple for keyed 12v, pink for fuel level sender, grey for NAV lights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KB7DX:

Okay so I now have a 1 pc alum. dash, and I now know where all the wires go and hookup , the purple wire was actually a 12inch long wire to jump a 1 inch gap between fuel gage positive to the light bulb positive (no gage didnt work because there was no 12v going to it )

The grey nav wires went from 3 position switch, about 6 feet and they were just cut off (switch checks good so I will reuse it so I have nav/mooring setup that works)

basic switch panel was modified by swapping a couple switches out and taking a dremel tool (arf's favorite tool) and cut out double D's and made the volt gage hole round, so I could index it 90 degrees
Attachment Attached File

I just sprayed it with some bedliner

Attachment Attached File

Disclaimer most wire colors are wrong per the yachting world, and most wire is not tinned....new tinned wire would of cost 1/2 what the 'toon cost
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#24]
also found this while digging through old building

I couldnt find the old dixie horn

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Gotta dig up the Dixie horn and go Duke style.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Gotta dig up the Dixie horn and go Duke style.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Jimmy that owns Pontoonstuff is a friend of mine and their shop is about a mile from us. My other buddy owns the plastic company that makes the seat boxes.

We bought several sets this winter to redo junk trade ins. It kept our guys busy and we got rid of some turds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By akethan:
Jimmy that owns Pontoonstuff is a friend of mine and their shop is about a mile from us. My other buddy owns the plastic company that makes the seat boxes.

We bought several sets this winter to redo junk trade ins. It kept our guys busy and we got rid of some turds.
View Quote
Very cool I'm on his forum also, can you ask what kind of plastic it is? I would like to get some glue/epoxy to use on the inside if possible, the PO really cut it up

He would probably freak out that I cut it up for a live well (redneck style) I am actually 2nd one to do this I have seen, maybe hint that could be an option
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Very cool I'm on his forum also, can you ask what kind of plastic it is? I would like to get some glue/epoxy to use on the inside if possible, the PO really cut it up

He would probably freak out that I cut it up for a live well (redneck style) I am actually 2nd one to do this I have seen, maybe hint that could be an option
View Quote
You're probably better asking on the forum. I don't think he comes in the office that much.   He's got a new young honey and spends most of his time in Shitcago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#31]
@KB7DX

Are you a suzuki dealer or can you help me out with parts?

My new to me motor would not idle, I took carbs apart and found several issues

Ethanol sicks balls to start with, mounting gasket was missing a big pc, it was actually under carbs on engine pan, you can see how the broken gasket was actually re-torqued down clamping it with part of gasket covering butterfly valve (there are no pcs inside engine either)

also one of the highspeed nozzles was broke off and just hanging out in float bowl

I need:

2 mounting gaskets

2 float bowl gaskets

1 highspeed nozzle

For a mikuni BW36-24x2 carburator (numbers on carb are 87 E10 with an 8 over a Y 1 and the throttle plates have a 38 and then a square w/65 beside it)

TIA
Can anyone help?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#32]
@bansil  No, we aren't a Suzuki dealer. We are Mercury/Mercruiser and Volvo Penta. We used to be an OMC

dealer but got out of that this year.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:35:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#33]

I gotta get parts...back to google....

thank you
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Got all the individual parts ordered from BrownsPoint, awesome and easy to use sight for older and newer Suzuki OB
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:08:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#35]
@bansil I use Mercury "Power Tune" to clean the brass bits in carbs. Soak the jets, emulsion tube and any other brass

pieces that are easily removed in the Power Tune for an hour or so and they come out like new.

Power Tune is also a great carbon cutter. It's what I use to clean piston crowns and ring grooves during a rebuild.

Make sure you clean ALL the little passageways and bleed jets (if there are any) so you only have to do them once.

I've repaired many engines where the carb was "just rebuilt" but still didn't run right due to the previous "mechanic"

didn't bother to do a thorough job the first time around.

ETA - Don't remove the throttle plates even though they are brass to clean them. Just hose them down with

Power Tune and let them sit a while.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I cut my teeth on quadrajets in the 80's

I have cleaner and air hose, I was surprised that the little passages where clear, only parts clogged were made out of brass, ethanol doesn't play well with them I reckon

Still have to bore scope the passages to get a look see at the reed area for debri (phone didnt pick any up but I will feel better scoping it)

Thanks for your help, we hope to be on the water Sunday, wife has here camp chair and fishing pole ready
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#37]
okay, parts should be in on Friday, I checked out the reeds/chambers to double for debri from the gasket (I removed 1 pc from that carb, it was too big to get into reed opening)

Looks good now, 1 picture each chamber (I took 4 pictures so they are actually different ones)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#38]
It almost had a gasket snack! Can you account for all the pieces of gasket

between what was left on the manifold, the one in the lower cowl and the one

in the reed block?

We do that with shredded impellers. I call it going on safari! Hunt down all the little pieces.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 4:09:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#39]
Not sure yet, got home a bit ago, feed alpacas and decided to relook the wiring, since engine monitor did not work....so for some ...wtf-ever reason..the po, forgot to, NO he said fuck it and lets shrink wrap shit i dont know what it is for

So cut open wrapped loom..ugh dude the grey and black wire need to be hooked up...dipshit

So i went from this
(Guess i will add pictures when google will let me FUGoogle
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Just got home, fed the alpacas and decided to relook at the wiring, since engine monitor did not work....so for some ...wtf-ever reason..the po, forgot to, NO he said fuck it and lets shrink wrap shit i dont know what it is for  :x

So I cut open wrapped loom..ugh dude the grey and black wire need to be hooked up...dipshit  :roll:

So i went from this
Attachment Attached File

To this
Attachment Attached File

And this

Amazing what power does  :shock:

All lights are on like Christmas morning

Here are the girls happy
Attachment Attached File

I got my parts Friday evening
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:51:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#41]
Put everything back together and she fired right up and idled nice and pretty

so....off to the lake for testing, I grabbed back up power, just in case
Attachment Attached File

OH she is now 1 color
Attachment Attached File

Will paint was drying, I checked on my .gov employees....yup hard at work
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

So I grabbed wife and dad.....
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#42]
so into the channel we go
Attachment Attached File

Beautiful day, cold as hell, but pretty

Attachment Attached File

OH....CHEERS on the maiden voyage
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Good work! Keep on just getting stuff done, my kind of mechanic. Improvise, adapt, overcome.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Good job!
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for kind words ya'll. ...steering was an absolute bitch, wife took helm and 1 min later....can't you put hydraulic steering like on the truck? Old 4wheeling rig...so it was 2 handed...wtf?
Easy peezy to run cable...right? dumb ass kinked cable behind gastank and at helm....and then had it doing a back and forth frosting kinda thing going on...it was back and forth covering 6ft of width and 10 ft of run....gotta fix that.

And shifting into reverse!..sons of all the bitches..., to get it into "going backwards" ment 3/4 throttle a hole shot, drinks spilled and me needing depends.

I need a vacation
Pictures to follow tommorrow

Worst thing?

I stilled need to mount the grass palm thing's on the roof

Party time..excellent. ..
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like it needs a new steering cable and the shift/throttle cables adjusted. Shifting at anything above idle speed

is very hard on the clutch dog (sliding clutch) in the gearcase.

When we replace steering cables, we usually go ahead and replace the helm as well. The new helm

doesn't add that much to the overall cost and from a safety standpoint is money well spent.

Look in the manual and see if there is a "rigging" section for shift/throttle cable adjustment.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I plan to check out the cable routing better and then measure the cable, it should only be a 15 or 16 ft cable, this one is waaayyy too long
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#48]
So her exterior has been made over on a budget of ~$85 dollars, not counting beer and wine

1-1/2 cans rustoleum
2 foam rollers
2 .25 chip brushes
1 roll medium tack transfer tape
2 rolls of blue painters tape
And 2 rolls of Orical 651 vinyl

Misc beer and about 20 hrs of time

Whatcha think?Attachment Attached File

Also since the graphics was an add on, i already made blue numbers. So i will probably redo thay this winter
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#49]
Looks nice! It's got that "wavy" thing going on.

ETA -- The only thing you need now is the aluminum side molding along the deck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Its to the left of the beer cans

Still need to Finish up pulling some wire and move the shifter cables (pinched by shit)

Wife had back surgery Thursday, so our plan of moving to the slip is moved to next weekend.
Dr. Said "mrs Bansil what are plans this weekend"

"Oh we are finishing boat, putting it in the lake and...yadda...yadda"

"No you are not, you will rest and recover"

So she got a dr note with no driving, no boating, no yaghting, no horseback riding...lol it was wayyy tooo spacific

She wassnt happy...but she has been a pissed off menstrual driven, mind wandering, mean bitch

Then she wakes and is nice......drugs are bad
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top