Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2020 8:01:16 AM EDT
Good Morning, AR15 crew -

I plopped my deposit down on a 300 WM Christensen Ridgeline series. Most I've ever spent on a hunting rifle.  I've used the same hunting rifle for the last 33 years and that was hand me down! The Christensen rifle is lightweight and I'm looking to keep the scope light weight as well.  Budget is $1000-$1200 max w/o rings would prefer less. I use vortex Razors on my AR and Supermatch m1A - think  those are too heavy and overkill for this application.  

Typical Hunts - WI Whitetail (Western Part of our state - bluffs and valleys) - Shots less than 300 yards.  

Give me some thoughts - The scope doesn't need to be in stock right now.  Just need to have in my hands by October.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, Leupold makes the lightest (least dense) scopes for size. They have great optics for their price ranges.

I'm also a fan of vortex as well.

Make sure you find something with good eye relief so you can properly cycle the bolt and shoot without punching out your eye or getting bit by it since it's a lightweight magnum.

Still figuring your max shot will be around 300yds? I don't think you really need any more than 12x, probably not more than 10x. A BDC reticle isn't really necessary as your holds shouldn't be much out to 400. I'd want capped/locked turrets, probably illuminated reticle.

The vx5-HD 2-10 seems interesting. Link to midway

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Just like the guy above me, I’ll give a strong  suggestion for the Leupold VX5HD.
Best long range hunting scope on the market in my opinion. Light weight, capped and locking low profile turrets so nothing gets bumped or snagged. 5x soon range (3-15x and higher). Mil or moa reticles, awesome glass. Can’t lose. And it’s right in your price range.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
appreciate it!
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Also highly recommend the leupold vx5hd series - it’s everything you’re looking for and in your price range. Excellent quality glass, low profile locking turret, illuminated dot, and light weight - don’t hesitate.  I have one on my Christensen Mesa.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I love the scope, but does a happy medium exist within this model?  2-10 or 3-15?  3-15 adds an inch and 3 oz?  

I won't be able to see the scope will need to order it for sure.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a VX5HD 3-15 a few months ago.  LOVE IT.  

Grab 3 oz worth of sinkers in one hand and hold it over a ruler while looking at how long 1" actually is.......
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're used to vortex, 3oz won't be noticable. It would still weigh less than a comparable vortex.

Do you honestly need 3-15 for a 3-400yd shot? I'm using 15x out to 900 on silhouettes...

IMO 10x is plenty for what you're trying to do, but I also have good eyes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Vortex Viper PST II 3-15x would be my choice. I have one on my 6.5CM AR and take it out to 1k without issue. I have the 2-10x on a 5.56 AR and, for targets up to 700m, it couldn't be more appropriate. Also, Vortex's warranty is unbeatable.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vortex Viper PST II 3-15x would be my choice. I have one on my 6.5CM AR and take it out to 1k without issue. I have the 2-10x on a 5.56 AR and, for targets up to 700m, it couldn't be more appropriate. Also, Vortex's warranty is unbeatable.
View Quote

I as well have that 3-15 and it's a pig compared to the vx5hd. Different intended uses. I only have access to 900, but it should be fine at 1k. However, I think for 1I and over, stepping up to a next level optic would be a great move. Mine seems to show it's quality past 800. Generally I view scopes as $1/yd ballpark.

While not the 2-10, I have the pst2 1-6 and it's also great for what it is, but pretty sure even that is heavier than the vx5hd.

I see OPs question as "lightweight, hunting oriented, decent glass, around $1k".
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Take a look at the Burris Veracity scopes also.  I put the FFP 3-15 on my .308 and have been happy with it.  It's a few ounces heavier than the VX5 but also a few hundred bucks cheaper.  I think the glass is better than my more expensive XTR II's and definitely better than my Vortex Vipers.

Edit: forgot the Link
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love the scope, but does a happy medium exist within this model?  2-10 or 3-15?  3-15 adds an inch and 3 oz?  

I won't be able to see the scope will need to order it for sure.
View Quote

The weight and size difference are small enough, I wouldn’t factor them into your decision.
The 2-10 will be faster up close than the 3-15 if you ever have fast shot situations.
You said you won’t have shots farther than 300. For that the 2-10 is all you need. 3-15 isn’t needed.
Do you carry any other optics for observation or ranging? Spotting scope or rangefinder?
If not, do you identification/observation/ranging capabilities past 300? If so, I would suggest the 3-15.
But if EVERYTHING you’re looking at is 300 and in, absolutely go with the 2-10.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The weight and size difference are small enough, I wouldn’t factor them into your decision.
The 2-10 will be faster up close than the 3-15 if you ever have fast shot situations.
You said you won’t have shots farther than 300. For that the 2-10 is all you need. 3-15 isn’t needed.
Do you carry any other optics for observation or ranging? Spotting scope or rangefinder?
If not, do you identification/observation/ranging capabilities past 300? If so, I would suggest the 3-15.
But if EVERYTHING you’re looking at is 300 and in, absolutely go with the 2-10.
View Quote

Thank you - Sounds like that is the best choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top