Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2020 11:44:33 AM EDT
I am looking at a few of the day/night digital night vision scopes, does anyone have a recommendation on brand or model?

I'll be shooting 180yds and under.

like to keep it around $500 if possible.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Sightmark Photon RT, which was supposed to be among the better digital night vision scopes. I also used a PVS-14 with a laser, which was quality gen III+ night vision.

I found even an entry level thermal scanner to give me a much bigger advantage over either for hogs. I bought a FLIR Scout for $500, and mounted a flashlight on my rifle. Find the animal with the thermal, shoot it with the flashlight.

YMMV, but I found thermal of any kind to trump night vision for hunting. It’s an addiction however, and I’ve spent several thousand on quality thermal scopes now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Advice? Save your money.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Advice? Save your money.
View Quote

X2!
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
SightMark Wraith. Get into the game!

You're welcome!

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a Sightmark Photon RT, which was supposed to be among the better digital night vision scopes. I also used a PVS-14 with a laser, which was quality gen III+ night vision.

I found even an entry level thermal scanner to give me a much bigger advantage over either for hogs. I bought a FLIR Scout for $500, and mounted a flashlight on my rifle. Find the animal with the thermal, shoot it with the flashlight.

YMMV, but I found thermal of any kind to trump night vision for hunting. It’s an addiction however, and I’ve spent several thousand on quality thermal scopes now.
View Quote

Really depends on how you hunt. If you’re in a stand, this makes sense. If you’re hiking through fields or the woods, NODs are great to keep you on the trail and out of the creek.

I killed this hog without even turning on my thermal. Parked, geared up and walked down the road. Turned the corner and there he was. Lased him and bang. He was down.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Lilmac,

I saw that on the other thread, nice shot!

I went that route initially, but found that the PVS14 would delay getting the thermal up to my eye (flipping up the j arm), and especially walking around in the woods the thermal was what really showed me what I was trying to see.

A buddy told me that he would just walk around with a dim headlamp on to avoid the trees and creeks, and then use the thermal to shoot. I adopted that method and have found it pretty effective, and doesn’t seem to spook the hogs.

Definitely doesn’t have the cool guy points though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The good thing about it, is it’s relatively cheap.  If you like being out at night, you’ll end up upgrading pretty quick. If you don’t you’re not out that much. It’s better suited to sitting in a blind than it is cruising pastures looking.  For less than a grand, you can see in the dark
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I started with the ATN, X-sight before saving enough lunch money for thermal. It was definitely a step up from the red LED spotlight.

Shot a lot of pigs with it.

There are limitations you have to understand or you will be disappointed.

Realistically, it's a 75yd sight under good, open pasture conditions. High grass and thick brush give a lot of splash that washed the sight out. An IR illuminator with a very tight beam helps.

These are 50-75yd.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I totally agree with the above post. I run a Photon RT and its a good DNV scope the ir gets washed out with tall weeds and brush. I lost several shots last night in tall gray weeds. I could see them in my thermal hand held but couldn't see them at all with the dnv. I just got a ATN Thor LT 320 3x6 in on Wednesday but haven't got it mounted so it was my spotter. I'm mounting it on Thursday and then back to the ranch for a long weekend of pig dropping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top