Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/3/2019 11:49:55 AM EDT
I watched  "The Book of ELI". and clicked on the sense where he is showing the pawn guy a Zippo lighter

Don't know if I am over thinking things, but how long will Bic lighters work??? Years ??

The Zippos can run off of multi-fuels
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Get both.

Zippos dry out if not refilled semi regularly. They don't do storage well.

They won't dry out in storage, but you can't refill a Bic.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Bic lighters take the advantage in being a sealed unit. But once they're done, they're done, and they're not terrifically durable.

Zippo lighters take the advantage in being able to use multiple fuels, being semi-user serviceable, and being nearly bombproof. But you do have to replace the flints and wicks occasionally, they'll get messed up by water, and they will leak any fluid that can evaporate, as well as leaking/spilling if they're squeezed when full. Because of this, they have to be consistently re-filled, and don't do well if the minor smell of fuel is an issue.

Most of these issues can be remedied with something like the Thrym Pyrovault or others, which turns the zippo into a sealed unit, but you're still going to have to replace wicks and flints.

Butane lighters fall somewhere between the two - durable sealed units that don't require parts replacement, but only run off a single fuel source.

For how small they are, I'd likely want to have a zippo in a pyrovault and a good butane lighter, and then just pick up a bic if I find one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting to note, I've had bics that were previously used a bit in storage. Go to use one and the wheel sounds like sand going through it because the flint disintegrated.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
When your dad flips closed that Zippo, looks at you through that first cloud of exhaled Marlboro smoke, one eye squinted...
You're gawdamn right The Shit Has Hit The Fan.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I found about 20 of the brushed chrome zippos at our closest Wal Mart on clearance for 5.99. I picked up a few to put away or give away.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Get one of the Maratac lighters. They seal up nicely so the fuel doesn't evaporate.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Zippos dry out to quickly for me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Wrap the zippo lid seam with a Mylar or kapton type tape that uses a silicone PSA adhesive to keep the fuel from from evaporating. Electrical tape works decent too.

In the winter my zippo will hold fuel for a week or two unused without tape. In the summer, about a week tops. With tape, WAY longer. Months.

Bic flints work in zippo lighters, too.

A couple of companies also make refillable butane jet inserts for zippos.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a zippo everyday, I keep a spare wick and a bunch of flints in the bottom of it for when one is needed I don’t have to go searching around for them. I don’t smoke or anything but I do use it quite a bit for work stuff. Typically fuel lasts about 2 weeks with minimal use. For shtf no lighters are going to be a long term solution without a fuel supply and a serviceable parts supply.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
A lighter that is dry when you need it would be just perfect in SHTF.

My butane $8 Amazon lighter works every time.

eta:  My arfcom Zippo has a butane torch insert.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a few at the flea market Friday.

none worked at the market. kept the price low

took them apart, found  the flints and their by products had clogged the flint holes.

had to drill some of  them out with a #40 drill.

one did have a few flints under the felt fill up pad!!! wise man

If there is an "Event" the zippos may make good items to trade.

I have layers for fire making items, I think Fat wood and a striker will last the longest

thanks for the electrical tape tip
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lighter that is dry when you need it would be just perfect in SHTF.

My butane $8 Amazon lighter works every time.

eta:  My arfcom Zippo has a butane torch insert.
View Quote
If you have one of those gold or silver zippos it could be traded as currency, even when empty.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get one of the Maratac lighters. They seal up nicely so the fuel doesn't evaporate.
View Quote
Get the big one.  I have the small one and it's hard to handle and light.  With cold fingers it's even worse.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Exotac Titanlight.  Superb lighter.  The fuel doesn't evaporate.  I highly recommend them.  www.exotac.com
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I use a piece of bicycle inner tube and put around my Zippo. It holds fluid without drying out for 3-4 times longer. And if you desperately need tinder just cut off a piece of the inner tube and use that.......  burns long and hot but stinks, kinda reminds me of the drag races.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use a piece of bicycle inner tube and put around my Zippo. It holds fluid without drying out for 3-4 times longer. And if you desperately need tinder just cut off a piece of the inner tube and use that.......  burns long and hot but stinks, kinda reminds me of the drag races.
View Quote
I had a bunch of old tubes I was going to try this with and the bag got dumped.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wrap the zippo lid seam with a Mylar or kapton type tape that uses a silicone PSA adhesive to keep the fuel from from evaporating. Electrical tape works decent too.

In the winter my zippo will hold fuel for a week or two unused without tape. In the summer, about a week tops. With tape, WAY longer. Months.

Bic flints work in zippo lighters, too.

A couple of companies also make refillable butane jet inserts for zippos.
View Quote
Would plumbers teflon tape work?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 1:10:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Shtf?

Regular spark stick and steel. Big enough one will last literally a lifting of fires.

It's not that hard folks...
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Just the other day I dug up a bic that had been in the dirt under the slab of a commercial building since presumably 1993, when the place was built. Strong spark, weak flame. Try that with a Zippo.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#20]
They're really so cheap that its a true case of "buy both."
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Agreed that this really is a get both.

That said, someone (I think it was FerFal) turned me onto Djeep lighters, and I bought an entire display card (36 lighters)
off of amazon 10 years ago. Still going strong on that stash. Not that I light a lot of fires, but that you can store them
for that long and have them be OK says a lot.

All my zippo types dry out, except for a peanut lighter I got that has O-ring seals on the cap. FYI, Coleman fuel is basically naptha, the same
as lighter fluid, so you can store a lifetime supply of the stuff pretty easy and I'm still using a gallon of that stuff that I got more than
10 years ago as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]
On the topic of Fuel for Zippos. I know the GIs  in WW2 used gasoline

Has anyone used Coileman fuel or the fuels in their Lighters??
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#23]
A refillable butane lighter will last a long ass time with a small refill bottle. And you can make the flame a torch or a gentle flame.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's literally all I use. Coleman fuel is naptha, same as Zippo fluid +/- whatever they add to it.

Gasoline would be a VERY bad idea. Maybe WW2 gas was safer or GIs didn't care about handheld fireballs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Seek2

how do you fill your lighters??

With a syringe??
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#26]
It depends, sometimes I transfer fuel from the Coleman can to a smaller container and just
pour from that into the base of the lighter. Other times I've used 20ML syringes.

Once you're about 1/2 through a gallon of Coleman fuel you pretty much have to use a
separate filling container since you can't reach the fuel in the can easily.

The other irony with zippo type lighters is I'm quite sure most of the fuel I've used
has been evaporated and not burned. I barely use the lighter most of the time.
One of the reasons I think going with Djeeps or other disposables make more
sense.

This thread made me check my peanut lighter, wick was wet and started on first strike
and I've not lit it in probably 3-4 years. O-rings make a world of difference.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I once used regular gasoline in a small camping stove. It worked fine but I forgot to drain it before placing the stove in storage. Several years later the stove was all gummed up with what was left from the gasoline. I tried to clean it but ended up sh*t canning the stove and buying a new one. Only "white gas" goes into that stove now and it's been trouble-free.

Bic and similar lighters seem to store very well but I also keep fire steel in my BOB. I also have several cheap lighters from a Dollar Store that were purchased 20 years ago. They still work fine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Grab a bunch of these and leave them sealed. They'll last an awful long time. Carry whatever lighter you like for day to day, but for SHTF these little kits and extra fuel would be nice.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Seek2

how do you fill your lighters??

With a syringe??
View Quote
I have used a quart can of naphtha from a hardware store for years. I have poured it carefully into the zippo itself.

Now I popped the lid off an old Zippo fuel container and refilled the can. Much more convenient.

I will use Crown brand white gas/coleman fuel when my naphtha runs out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have used a quart can of naphtha from a hardware store for years. I have poured it carefully into the zippo itself.

Now I popped the lid off an old Zippo fuel container and refilled the can. Much more convenient.

I will use Crown brand white gas/coleman fuel when my naphtha runs out.
View Quote
Same here. Bought a 1 gallon can of naptha at the hardware store (cheaper than Coleman fuel at the time) and use an old zippo fuel can.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you even Tier 1 Zippo, bro?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a bunch of Zippos, but they aren't part of my planned preps long term.  I keep a few around in different gear just in case.

I too use Coleman fuel, I refill the Zippo fluid bottles with it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Creme brulee butane torch for shtf.
I have a zippo and a can of fuel for it, and matches and blast matches and flints and bics... but a butane torch or a propane torch will get the fire going. When I’m hiking in winter I carry a marine signal flare to start a quick fire if needed.I

These attach to a Coleman propane can. They just need a flint.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 6/6/2019 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Zippos dry out like every week.  For long term use and storage I'd go with something else.  However, you do have the advantage of being able to fill them with anything flammable.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Bernzomatic fire starter and a propane bottle.

or even better:

Bernzomatic
TS8000KC Premium Torch Kit
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Exotac titan light is what you want.http://www.exotac.com/titanlight/
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#37]
keep a zippo and can of zippo lighter fluid in my bug out bag
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#38]
I love exotic stuff but $50 for a lighter is steep IMHO.

I have a handful of new and lightly used Zippos in my preps.  A few small cans of fuel that I use when using them during hunting season.  I have a bit more Coleman fuel if I need something longer term.  I also keep a few packs of bic handy as they are ready to go whenever you need them.  Never discount a ferro rod.

For a good middle ground check out:  Clipper lighter.  They are butane refillable, and the "flint" is replaceable.  They are cheap, a little bit more robust then your average Bic.  I bought a card pack of them a few years ago and I am still using my first one. Granted I don't smoke and only start fires for camping etc but I have EDC it quite a bit and actually replaced the "flint" on it once.  A few of those with some spare flints and couple cans of butane will last a long time!  Add a few Bics, and Zippos to your fire preps and your good go in the dept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_(lighter)

https://www.amazon.com/Brand-Refillable-Original-Clipper-Lighters/dp/B00II5ZYTG/ref=pd_bxgy_194_img_2/144-3992133-1124057?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00II5ZYTG&pd_rd_r=48141ab1-8ac8-11e9-95f1-0df550726a75&pd_rd_w=lKwZj&pd_rd_wg=ht7Rv&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=B7XXZR43SXKGCQC7X3TZ&psc=1&refRID=B7XXZR43SXKGCQC7X3TZ

ETA/  I should have added, a SHTF full on post apocalyptic situation, as it not getting better anytime soon I want a few Zippos, parts, and can of fuel.  JMHO.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a Bic lighter inside of an Exotac Firesleeve. It waterproofs a Bic and floats.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bics do not last.  We're fixing to move and in cleaning out some prep storage found lighters all over the place. Prob 10-15 years old. Not one worked. Just a puff of dust when I tried them.

View Quote
I am not saying you're wrong but this is not my experience. I have had Bics last ~10 years and continue to light. I wonder if it's dependent on the environment.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I am not saying you're wrong but this is not my experience. I have had Bics last ~10 years and continue to light. I wonder if it's dependent on the environment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bics do not last.  We're fixing to move and in cleaning out some prep storage found lighters all over the place. Prob 10-15 years old. Not one worked. Just a puff of dust when I tried them.

I'm in AC 9-10 months out of the year and I've had one, or two, go bad and as a cigar smoker, I keep a lot of BIC lighters around.  I can find no rhyme, or reason, to why one flint oxidizes and the other four from the pack, do not.

I love BICs, but use refillable jet flame butane lighters, for everyday use.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Bics have worked well for me and the 10yo ones in rotation work fine.
The cheapo lighters go bad in months.
I keep waiting for a deal on them so I can restock.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I am not advocating using zippos only for the Event,

They are just another layer of prepariness I hope I don't have to depend oh
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am not advocating using zippos only for the Event,

They are just another layer of prepariness I hope I don't have to depend oh
View Quote
I've got an IMCO Austrian field lighter and while I'd rather have it, than two sticks, it's a PITA.  For cigarettes, petrol lighters are probably an improvement, but for cigars, they're verboten.

As far as starting fires during a random emergency, I think one is better served with a BIC than a Zippo, but that's just my personal bias.  For about the same size/form factor, a 3 jet flame lighter and a can of butane will last a solid year plus, of heavy use and takes up only a little more room than a Zippo with its can of Ronson.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ditto.

Expecting a 50 cent piece of glued-together plastic - equipped with valves and O-rings - to contain several dozen PSI of butane pressure for years is probably unrealistic.

OTOH, I've got book matches purchased 3 decades ago that still light like brand-new. They're kept in small zip-lock plastic bags when not being used.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ditto.

Expecting a 50 cent piece of glued-together plastic - equipped with valves and O-rings - to contain several dozen PSI of butane pressure for years is probably unrealistic.

OTOH, I've got book matches purchased 3 decades ago that still light like brand-new. They're kept in small zip-lock plastic bags when not being used.
View Quote
Bics are $1-$2 dollars apeace. The cheapos that I bought for .15 cents each only lasted a few months.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Never had much care for Zippos. Dry out too fast for a non smoker/heavy user. I keep the disposables around and in preps. They're short term items, I'm not counting on them lasting years in an end of the world situation, but for lighting candles or starting a fire or the BBQ for a couple weeks? just fine.
I rotate mine, so not worried about long storage. I buy the multi-packs and toss one sealed one in the preps, one in the camping/hiking stuff. Then the next year when I do it again I pull those out and use them around the house. So every couple years they're swapped out. I've never had any issues. I tend to not use up the camping and hiking ones for their intended role either. Can't remember the last time I had any fail.

I do try to avoid the ones with all the child safety stuff on them, which is getting harder and harder to do.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I do try to avoid the ones with all the child safety stuff on them, which is getting harder and harder to do.
View Quote
You can remove the child safety thingy on the Bics with needle nose pliers in about a minute. I do so on mine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#50]
magnifying glass. Limited to daytime use.

Also, flint firestarters and cotton balls. People sometimes dip the cotton in something to make it fire up easier.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top