User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 3:09:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
That is pretty cool.  Will look at.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have them but luckily haven't had to use them yet.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Anyone tried these yet?  Thinking of picking up a couple for the FAK.

https://zipstitch.us/
View Quote
I would want to clean a wound and close it in a sanitary environment than try to use one from a FAK

If you have a cut that requires it better to apply pressure-guaze and close it up in the proper way
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the post OP. Looks like something to add to the FAK. One of those....why the hell didnt I think of that kinda things.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting.  I'm curious as well if anyone has used these.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I can see the benefit after surgery or for an injury where you were in the hospital or home since it can be adjusted but I don't think that would work well in a less than ideal situation.
Unless you can take it easy the high profile could lead to reinjury and in that environment you not worried about a scar anyway.

For a IFAK/Survival med kit plain old steri strips would be much better..
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:29:26 AM EDT
[#9]
$25.00 for one. ouch..
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$25.00 for one. ouch..
View Quote
Sounds like only emergency responders could afford to have it in their kit.  
10% off if you buy 6 or more.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm just looking at them as possibly a better option than steri-strips.
View Quote
I wonder how much better they work then regular steri-strips plus the hardening glue...  My wife cut her finger pretty good in the desert this past year and due to various circumstances it took us more than 16 hours to get to an ER...  They refused to give her stitches, so we dealt with having to apply new steri- strips multiple times a day to stop the bleeding.  She had to deal with an open wound for weeks after as well.

IMHO if your only looking at some pain, inconvenience, and a nasty scar I will take all of those over going to an ER when out of your area.  They treated us like shit, they billed our insurance and we had to pay the co pay for them to add the same steri-strips we were using the whole time.  We wasted time and money for the same result that we would have had if we didn't go.  Sure they cleaned it but when its going to reopen a few hours later then did it really do any good?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I wonder how much better they work then regular steri-strips plus the hardening glue...  My wife cut her finger pretty good in the desert this past year and due to various circumstances it took us more than 16 hours to get to an ER...  They refused to give her stitches, so we dealt with having to apply new steri- strips multiple times a day to stop the bleeding.  She had to deal with an open wound for weeks after as well.

IMHO if your only looking at some pain, inconvenience, and a nasty scar I will take all of those over going to an ER when out of your area.  They treated us like shit, they billed our insurance and we had to pay the co pay for them to add the same steri-strips we were using the whole time.  We wasted time and money for the same result that we would have had if we didn't go.  Sure they cleaned it but when its going to reopen a few hours later then did it really do any good?
View Quote
If a cut is open too long, they will not stitch it up.  They will usually stitch up fresh cuts but not old ones.  I don't remember the time frame you have to stitch up a cut.  Maybe one of our resident medical professionals can chime in on that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dirty finger lac 16 hours old?

Healing by secondary intent was the safest thing most likely.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd be leery of using it in the field..  btw hiya Waldo..
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you for making me look that up, lead me to a great Nursing website... you know just some light reading for a Tradesmen... ;)
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thank you for making me look that up, lead me to a great Nursing website... you know just some light reading for a Tradesmen... ;)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, ya live and learn...  If we had known that we wouldn't have wasted hours on the road and back...  8 hours is the general rule as I found out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:27:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like an interesting alternative to the traditonal steri strips or butterfly bandages.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:31:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$25.00 for one. ouch..
View Quote
I started looking at it for my hunting kit till I saw that.  I guess Ill stick with my suture kit...which really just encourages me to man up and tape/glue it shut when I cut myself!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I started looking at it for my hunting kit till I saw that.  I guess Ill stick with my suture kit...which really just encourages me to man up and tape/glue it shut when I cut myself!
View Quote
I'd just stick to steri strips
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I prefer duct tape or gaff tape to steri-strips even in a office setting as they  to don't seem stick without a ton of glue.
I like the idea of these but do they stick? If they need to come off how tough is it?
We have a place 1 1/2 hours from the ER so I tend to handle my own shit but with the grand kids those DILs sure are picky.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#22]
"The same tech used in hospitals..."

Worked in hospital for 22 years and never seen this particular device.

It looks useful for temporarily approximating wound edges under ideal conditions.  Note that none of their wounds in the video are bloody, or really deep.

I imagine it's effectiveness would depend on wound and skin prep prior to application.

If a person is especially hairy, covered in dirt and debris, or very greasy or sweaty, adhesive closure devices will fail quickly.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"The same tech used in hospitals..."

Worked in hospital for 22 years and never seen this particular device.

It looks useful for temporarily approximating wound edges under ideal conditions.  Note that none of their wounds in the video are bloody, or really deep.

I imagine it's effectiveness would depend on wound and skin prep prior to application.

If a person is especially hairy, covered in dirt and debris, or very greasy or sweaty, adhesive closure devices will fail quickly.
View Quote
I had the same thoughts.

If you are going to keep these you should pack them with plenty of cleaning/disinfecting solution, sterile wipes and disposable razors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top