Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Call goes to dispatch call center then routed to your intended party.
App is available for cell phones
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#2]
so it's not a direct person to person via 4G network?

i understand it has to hit a cell tower, is that what ur saying?

btw, thanks; do you know the best app?
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything that requires existing current infrastructure is just not reliable, and susceptible to many issues. i.e. outages, security, etc..

Any of those apps are routed as follows: Cell phone > Tower > Internet > Data center > Internet > Tower > Cell phone

Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
this isn't really for SHTF comms, just something to talk from house to our new place (30acres about 30 miles away- already have GMRS radios)
but i suppose i may be better off just getting cheap 2m radios & license;

need to check the repeater coverage in the area (new property)- thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

the phone app is called Zello
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you not just use your cell phone with the free app?
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]
That is just an app that sends voice snippets over cell data to the internet and back.

It's literally the same thing as using the "voice" function on a text message that any cell phone can do, but with less security, less reliability, less privacy, and _any_ cost is wasted cost.

Download Zello for your phone and play around with it so you understand what it is.  Or learn to use the text voice snippet.

The role you are trying to fill, point-to-point short distance unsupported by outside stuff communication is NOT fulfilled by this app or that device.  Get some Motorola handhelds or something. If you need better power try the Ham forum here for ideas.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#8]
NQuoted:

View Quote
No. It is not. If that listing says it is, it's lying. There's no way in hell cell phone providers would let someone just get a device and bounce signal off one cell tower directly to another device.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is just an app that sends voice snippets over cell data to the internet and back.

It's literally the same thing as using the "voice" function on a text message that any cell phone can do, but with less security, less reliability, less privacy, and _any_ cost is wasted cost.

Download Zello for your phone and play around with it so you understand what it is.  Or learn to use the text voice snippet.

The role you are trying to fill, point-to-point short distance unsupported by outside stuff communication is NOT fulfilled by this app or that device.  Get some Motorola handhelds or something. If you need better power try the Ham forum here for ideas.
View Quote

Is the infrastructure for the Motorola handheld walkies still in place? I thought Nextel killed that years ago .
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is the infrastructure for the Motorola handheld walkies still in place? I thought Nextel killed that years ago .
View Quote
You are thinking "Push to Talk".   I am talking about hand held radios that are "adult" versions of the kids walkie talkies. That use voice over radio waves for short distances.

Two-way radio:

Link Posted: 2/21/2022 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, Sprint killed Nextel. Nextel's PTT was fantastic for what it was.

And I miss my Nextel every damned day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top