Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2018 8:33:09 PM EDT
Just ask the Branch Davidians, the MOVE group in Philidelphia, and Randy Weaver if our govt will set your place on fire, gas you and then shoot you when you emerge! Ask the Japanese Americans if the jbt's will steal all your stuff and lock you into concentration camps, too! The jbts will be the first to "seize" (ie, steal) your stuff, if shtf.  Your stuff needs to be buried for shtf, in drums, set up and accessed only at nigh, showing no light and leaving no "sign" . Buried food, pre-shtf, is a real problem, tho, cause canines, rats, bears, etc, will reveal the presence of the containers to humans, who will definitely steal your stuff, immediately. So bury the empty drums/buckets in the woods closest to your rental storage unit.. Keep your long term food in the  unit, not far from your AO or your BOL, and move the stuff from the unit to the drums the night of shtf, walking along side of a bicycle, using wirecutters on the fence of the storage unit, the bags of stuff being on the bike, not on you, with the front wheel strapped in alignment with the frame, so that you need not steer it constantly. Depending upon the terrain,  you can move over 100 lbs of gear at at a time with such a setup. Clamp  your rifle on the handlebars, of course. You need night vision and luminous gun sights in the worst way. You can get passive IR monocular, which shows you animals and people, for sub $200. You can get a kid's airsoft NVD, which suffices to show you where you're walking, for even less money. If shtf, to be out and about in daylight will get you shot-at, without a doubt, within a very few days. You would be crazy to risk it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for the very valuable information.  It is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
If there’s an end of the world scenario where everyone is getting shot in daylight, why would my home specifically be targeted in the same fashion as the others you’ve mentioned?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Live in the woods and know your neighbors.  They should be of like mind.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Read the forum rules ~Waldo

https://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=664
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, airsift NVD’s and a $200 thermal are not items I’m going to be trusting my life to. Clamping your rifle to the handlebars is quite possibly the worst idea you’ve listed, which is a hard choice because you’ve provided many. If you need the rifle, you better hope the target is willing to stand in the exact path of the muzzle of your clamped on defensive weapon.

Why not just carry the rifle on a sling???
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I like to learn others battle plans. What rifle, op?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a joke thread...right?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I detect sincerity. Ignorance and a lot of words spewed without any organization or thought. But, sincerity.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Gunkid -- is that you?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gunkid -- is that you?
View Quote
Beat me to it.

Assault wheelbarrow!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#12]
My brother has a lady friend in Puerto Rico. She says that the shed that stored a LOT of her emergency preps ended up in her neighbor's yard.. and he ain't returning it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just ask the Branch Davidians, the MOVE group in Philidelphia, and Randy Weaver if our govt will set your place on fire, gas you and then shoot you when you emerge! The jbts will be the first to "seize" (ie, steal) your stuff, if shtf.  Your stuff needs to be buried for shtf, in drums, set up and accessed only at nigh, showing no light and leaving no "sign" . Buried food, pre-shtf, is a real problem, tho, cause canines, rats, bears, etc, will reveal the presence of the containers to humans, who will definitely steal your stuff, immediately. So bury the empty drums/buckets in the woods closest to your rental storage unit.. Keep your long term food in the  unit, not far from your AO or your BOL, and move the stuff from the unit to the drums the night of shtf, walking along side of a bicycle, using wirecutters on the fence of the storage unit, the bags of stuff being on the bike, not on you, with the front wheel strapped in alignment with the frame, so that you need not steer it constantly. Depending upon the terrain,  you can move over 100 lbs of gear at at a time with such a setup. Clamp  your rifle on the handlebars, of course. You need night vision and luminous gun sights in the worst way. You can get passive IR monocular, which shows you animals and people, for sub $200. You can get a kid's airsoft NVD, which suffices to show you where you're walking, for even less money. If shtf, to be out and about in daylight will get you shot-at, without a doubt, within a very few days. You would be crazy to risk it.
View Quote
Interested in the ---You can get passive IR monocular, which shows you animals and people, for sub $200.

Where do I look for one?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm gonna need a big back hoe tomorrow it's 12 below here
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Snip....
View Quote
You guys may want to edit your posts.

I called it a few posts above yours and it was frowned upon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys.

This is a tech section. Please keep your posts on topic.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is not the plan you are looking for......
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope nope nope. The only thing more commonly burglarized then a car is a storage unit. They are hit something like 3x more then homes and twice that of cars.

Two things the go for is PII and camping equipment.

If you put your stores in a storage unit it won't last a week in the bad/ cheap ones and maybe a few months in the more expensive ones.

They either cut and switch locks and unload at their convenience  or the roll through and hit several units in a night. Either way your shit is gone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#21]
So you're saying to rent a storage unit and then dig a hole and bury your stuff away from your storage unit?

Do you have links to the equipment you are recommending?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Umm, what?

Put down the fiction novels, relax for a few, have a drink if you are into that.

You need a serious chill pill and to think these things through, and research actual events to help you in your research.

In short: Your plan sounds good in a post apocalyptic pulp fiction book, but not reality.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If there’s an end of the world scenario where everyone is getting shot in daylight, why would my home specifically be targeted in the same fashion as the others you’ve mentioned?
View Quote
All findable structures will be searched by desperate, armed people if shtf., There's nothing special about yours.  If you have food, dogs will smell it and hang around. If you're not a skeleton, like everyone else, people will know that you have food.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Live in the woods and know your neighbors.  They should be of like mind.
View Quote
Right, about 1% of the US population can do that, cause they'd have no way of making an income, or getting their kids an education, need medical care, etc.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Also, airsift NVD’s and a $200 thermal are not items I’m going to be trusting my life to. Clamping your rifle to the handlebars is quite possibly the worst idea you’ve listed, which is a hard choice because you’ve provided many. If you need the rifle, you better hope the target is willing to stand in the exact path of the muzzle of your clamped on defensive weapon.

Why not just carry the rifle on a sling???
View Quote
wow, man. You just cant concieve of using spring clamps, so  you can jerk the rifle out of them and fire. :-) Faster than using a sling. Have you ever tried walking alongside of a laden bicycle, in rough terrain, with a slung rifle? You'll be on your butt a lot and the weapon wont be more available than it would be in the clamps.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:58:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
the only one that makes sense, in the US, for shtf. An M4.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Interested in the ---You can get passive IR monocular, which shows you animals and people, for sub $200.

Where do I look for one?
View Quote
google is your friend.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So you're saying to rent a storage unit and then dig a hole and bury your stuff away from your storage unit?

Do you have links to the equipment you are recommending?
View Quote
What equipment have I recommended? you can't find a bicycle, storage unit or empty drums?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nope nope nope. The only thing more commonly burglarized then a car is a storage unit. They are hit something like 3x more then homes and twice that of cars.

Two things the go for is PII and camping equipment.

If you put your stores in a storage unit it won't last a week in the bad/ cheap ones and maybe a few months in the more expensive ones.

They either cut and switch locks and unload at their convenience  or the roll through and hit several units in a night. Either way your shit is gone.
View Quote
I've kept stuff in storage units for decades. Never had it even tampered with, never heard of any of my friends, who did likewise, either. I never use one that's not fenced and doesnt have the manager living on-site, with cameras, etc, tho. How cheap can you get? You can stack a year's supply of food for a family of 4 in a 10x10, and those rent for $40 a month.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like a lot of work.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What equipment have I recommended? you can't find a bicycle, storage unit or empty drums?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You need night vision and luminous gun sights in the worst way. You can get passive IR monocular, which shows you animals and people, for sub $200. You can get a kid's airsoft NVD, which suffices to show you where you're walking, for even less money.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Edited for the sake of the thread
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#33]
The desire to turn this thread into something useful is there among all of us regulars, but I think it's doomed.

-buddy got the thermal add-on for iphone (don't believe flir brand) for around $200. Not much clarity, but has some very limited use
-wealth allows you to store things in many places. You could use a unit, but it's a money drain.

That was my attempt.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Gunkid comments aside, the premise of not keeping all your eggs in one basket is a good one, but everyone's situations are different.

Most locations in the Southeast would be impossible to "bury" food or even leave in a non-climate-controlled storage facility.  Your house IS your number one primary survival location, but at some point you have to acknowledge that no place is 100% secure or immune from becoming a total loss.  I used a few friends and relatives to store some 5-gallon buckets along a travel route when I lived in Texas.  It's never ideal, but is far more secure with better climate control.  The amount of stable food you'll be able to store buried or "unsecured" is really limited, unless you have a climate-controlled bugout cabin or a dedicated basement/room at your family farm.

We have insurance for current SHTF scenarios such as fire, floods, etc., but once the SHTF beyond your region and at a national level, you do need to consider how to spread out your resources, but if you plan on burying, I would expect as high as a 30-40% loss due to exposure to water, excessive heat, critter damage, etc.  That's not necessarily a good investment or a good way to diversify your storage plans...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Keep your long term food in the  unit, not far from your AO or your BOL, and move the stuff from the unit to the drums the night of shtf,
<snip stupid>

to be out and about in daylight will get you shot-at, without a doubt, within a very few days. You would be crazy to risk it.
View Quote
so how do you know when shtf?
you have a alarm set for that?

so your saying intentionally store supplies that you have to move to get them, but rely on airsoft junk to move at night because no one else has therm/NVGs?

this is retarded and makes no sense.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's like 1998 all over again. We have moved from a wheelbarrow to a bicycle as a means of transport.  A smart upgrade in my view.  

To this this thread open:

I actually agree that for those who can afford it, in some locations, a storage unit could be a useful part of preps.  The old "2 is 1 and 1 is none logic."

I'm actually more worried about fire than the feds.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Look the guy just got a bunch of 80's era books from Paladin Press and he's a bit paranoid right now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's like 1998 all over again. We have moved from a wheelbarrow to a bicycle as a means of transport.  A smart upgrade in my view.  

I actually agree that for those who can afford it, in some locations, a storage unit could be a useful part of preps.  The old "2 is 1 and 1 is none logic."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You all remember the old American Survival Guide magazine days... way before the internet took off. They use to have the section to network, find like minded individuals, etc... I put in an advert in one of the issues, in the  early 90's... ASG would forward the correspondence via a code... so no one actually got your physical address, they would answer the code, send it to ASG and ASG would forward it to you!

Guess who I got a letter from? Yup you guessed it! Made no sense then just as he doesn't now! Spouted on about the virtues of the SKS, etc....

I have the letter saved somewhere... If I find it I will scan and maybe post  (not in SD of course)
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I was a Mod at another site and this sounds just like Gunkid. I had to deal with him several times.

I thought by court order you had to stay off the net?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I doubt anyone is going to take OP's advice.

Some serious fantasy going on with OP.

My present concern is how cold it's been in my AO.  Would be tough to dig up gear in this freezing weather.  I don't want to exert the energy to doing so, and if I wait til it gets warmer, my family may starve to death.  What would OP do?

ETA:  Are you trying to set the world record for 10,000 posts in a month?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#42]
John, I thought the USMS told you to stop with this shit.

You must secretly enjoy the surveillance and the raids.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:20:22 AM EDT
[#43]
You think the storage place is going to let you in during SHTF???  You don't think think the FSA is going to hit KNOWN storage first??  It's free.  Most of my preps stay with me.  I have alternate land to bug out to, also.  Three other "like-minded" families, with other assets are also part of the plan.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#44]
tech. I'll go sit in the corner
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:55:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Guys.. he's been banned already... but enjoy the thread anyway.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:37:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
But he can still look at the thread
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ahhhhh I see.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Clearly you are not familiar with the OPs work.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Look the guy just got a bunch of 80's era books from Paladin Press and he's a bit paranoid right now.
View Quote
Really does make me wonder how many caches out in various woods there are, from guys who have long since died.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#50]
I know a guy who lived in a storage unit for a year. I have tried to get his story to post, but he's not really a talker.
He drove a van inside the unit and lived inside. He made sure his unit had an outlet during initial recon.
Was a bear in the Summer when the temps rose and he mentioned that cooking smells had to be minimized.

You can indeed store stuff there, but when the power goes out, the gate isn't opening. The staff prob isn't going to work during a bad enough incident.
Unless it's a trailer or containerized, you don't want to leave your primary residence to retrieve stuff in unrest.
As always, it's situational.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top