Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2020 9:40:18 AM EDT
I have plenty of small kerosene/white gas stoves but I’d like to have a larger propane stove like the one below for cooking, say, a larger pot of soup, stew, beans, rice, etc.  Anyone have a favorite brand they can recommend.  This would be used with 20 lb propane tanks (with which I have no experience).  There are smaller BTU versions and I think for my purposes maybe the one below is overkill.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Propane-Adjustable-0-20PSI-Regulator/dp/B071ZM8YVC/ref=pd_cp_86_1/134-0908651-6459630?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B071ZM8YVC&pd_rd_r=f799c7d9-e418-4ac0-8e24-816c255201cb&pd_rd_w=sxnvj&pd_rd_wg=ae4NB&pf_rd_p=4853e837-f87a-46d4-be32-dcf86bff7a7c&pf_rd_r=GT01PWKBY1Z61WJDDVBY&psc=1&refRID=GT01PWKBY1Z61WJDDVBY

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]

I have one of these and it works quite well. You can get an adapter to use 20lb tanks.  So cheap you could pick one up and use it while deciding what other one you want as a forever-stove.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, I have one that’s gotta be 20yrs old. It’s not as nice as that one you show.

My only thought is taller legs mean less bending over.

I use it for crab boils, crawfish boils. It’s overkill for soups or stews.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you are looking for something simpler but I really like my Volcano Grill.
I mostly use it with a Wok but it's pretty versatile.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/6a470579-f85c-4bdd-be00-ccee3b98c162_1.79d6d2d5cab173e201f77f9ffd53054e.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

I have one of these and it works quite well. You can get an adapter to use 20lb tanks.  So cheap you could pick one up and use it while deciding what other one you want as a forever-stove.
View Quote
@RR_Broccoli

Do you know who makes that?  I have propane lanterns so already have a bunch of the 1 lb tanks so it may be something I'd be interested in, in addition to something bigger.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sounds like you are looking for something simpler but I really like my Volcano Grill.
I mostly use it with a Wok but it's pretty versatile.
View Quote
OK, I like cooking outdoors and that's intriguing so I'll take a look.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, I have one that’s gotta be 20yrs old. It’s not as nice as that one you show.

My only thought is taller legs mean less bending over.

I use it for crab boils, crawfish boils. It’s overkill for soups or stews.
View Quote
I hear you about the overkill, but I wouldn't mind being able to make larger batches of soups.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hear you about the overkill, but I wouldn't mind being able to make larger batches of soups.
View Quote
The burner you linked isn't overkill. I have one similar and it's used almost as much as my grill. I deep fry on it, boil up big pots of water for blanching corn etc, can outdoors, heat water for whatever I need hot water for, use it for stir fry; the list goes on. It's an extremely valuable tool if you like to cook and if you ever needed to cook outside (with LP) NC you HAD to, you'll be glad you have it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Im thinking of getting this one.
I think I saw it being used by Steven raichlen a few times.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1RO9WG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@RR_Broccoli

Do you know who makes that?  I have propane lanterns so already have a bunch of the 1 lb tanks so it may be something I'd be interested in, in addition to something bigger.
View Quote
Coleman.  Amazon has them and I have seen them at Walmart, etc. ~ $35.  Adapters not sure I use the 1 lb cans.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Im thinking of getting this one.
I think I saw it being used by Steven raichlen a few times.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1RO9WG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
View Quote
You can get these at asian food stores. Butane is supposedly less apt to gassing you with inside use, which is what those little spray can size things are.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/6a470579-f85c-4bdd-be00-ccee3b98c162_1.79d6d2d5cab173e201f77f9ffd53054e.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

View Quote
This is what I use.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The burner you linked isn't overkill. I have one similar and it's used almost as much as my grill. I deep fry on it, boil up big pots of water for blanching corn etc, can outdoors, heat water for whatever I need hot water for, use it for stir fry; the list goes on. It's an extremely valuable tool if you like to cook and if you ever needed to cook outside (with LP) NC you HAD to, you'll be glad you have it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@SigOwner_P229

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Coleman.  Amazon has them and I have seen them at Walmart, etc. ~ $35.  Adapters not sure I use the 1 lb cans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@RR_Broccoli

@RR_Broccoli

I’m going to order that one and get a big one as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@RR_Broccoli

View Quote
Good thinking!

The small ones have definite value, but when trying to heat lots of water or oil, or stir fry, there is no match for the BTU output of a big turkey fryer burner. And they're SOOOO cheap. I bought a spare on-sale a couple years back for $25, new in the box.For less than $100 you can have both and end up with a MUCH more versatile heating arsenal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good thinking!

The small ones have definite value, but when trying to heat lots of water or oil, or stir fry, there is no match for the BTU output of a big turkey fryer burner. And they're SOOOO cheap. I bought a spare on-sale a couple years back for $25, new in the box.For less than $100 you can have both and end up with a MUCH more versatile heating arsenal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@RR_Broccoli

Good thinking!

Thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used the shit out of my skottle. Basically treat it like a cast iron skillet. It's great that it has its own legs to make it freestanding so it doesn't take up any table space, which is a luxury when camping. MAPP gas canisters give a wider heating range than propane and last longer.

https://tembotusk.myshopify.com/collections/cooking-and-accessories/products/tembotusk-skottle-kit

I also take along a Pocket Rocket to heat up water for tea or coffee or the like.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Agree with the turkey fryer. I bought 2 at Bass Pro for $25ish on sale. The only bummer is some have a timer to control the flame. I used electrical tape to keep it in place so it will run constantly when we make chicken broth. It'll boil a keg filled approx 3/4 of the way to the cut off top in about 30-40 mins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top