Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/26/2019 7:39:43 PM EDT
The purpose of this topic is to investigate lightweight, effective, sharpening devices which are intended for "Field-Use".  Such devices should be simple, lightweight, useable on many different tools (knives/axes), and be useable by most users in the field, with little, or no prior experience in sharpening their cutting tools.  No high-level skill should be required for the effective use of such tools; Such tools should be useable by users who are sharpening their cutting tool for the first time.  Their having read the instructions for using such tools should NOT be automatically assumed.

Such devices must be effective in conjunction with most commonly expected steels.

I know there are a LOT of expert tool sharpeners hereabouts.  What I'm asking for is NOT their exquisite home/shop sharpening rig, but what they would suggest for carry into the field for a very long duration.  More to the point, is what Experts would suggest for such an application.  Remember, the user is assumed to NOT be an expert blade sharpener.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Bonus points for discussing tools you have personally used.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Best I've found so far is a plastic holder with two fine and two medium grit dime sized crock sticks mounted in it.

Like these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/SharpNEasy-2-Step-Knife-Sharpener/142633721

A few quick swipes each side and done.

If you are using an S30V blade or other exotic, good luck. High end steels don't dull easily, they don't sharpen easily either. A lesser grade steel for field use actually does a better job long term. Sharpening angle also has a bearing, the narrower the sharper but it lasts a shorter length of time.

Hence, a larger tool knife is usually a simpler lower alloy, a fine edge small blade, higher alloy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The plastic jobbies from walmart work well but I find I pretty much only use the coarse side. The sharpening steel from Gossman knives is also great, very similar to the discontinued Scherade sharpening steel. Either one of those are all I carry for sharpening if I take anything at all.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Amazon Product
  • Tungsten Carbide Tungsten Carbide- Just three or four strokes will restore your blade.
  • Ceramic Sharpening Rods- Tungsten Carbide Polish to a finished edge in three or four strokes.
  • Serrated Knife Sharpener- Designed to get inside even the smallest serrations.

Something like this. Just draw through, don't use too much force.

There are cheaper versions as well.

Get a couple, they are easy to lose.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
So far, so good and some informed responses.  Allow me to remind all that axes were included in the initial requirement.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a small diamond honing "stone" I use in the field to touch up.  Currently using a Lansky system back at the house to put a real edge on knives.  Plan to get a Wicked Edge system some time in the future.

Link Posted: 11/26/2019 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Amazon Product
  • COMPLETE KNIFE SHARPENER - field, home or shop use designed for sportsmen who need a complete, compact field sharpening solution. The diamond plates can be easily removed to expose a broad head wrench to speed sharpening in the field. Diamond plates can be attached with the abrasive exposed or flipped over during transport in your gear bag.
  • DIAMOND PLATES, CERAMIC RODS, LEATHER STROP, & SHARPENING GUIDES - provide a fast, easy & consistent sharpening solution for knives & camp tools. The ceramic honing rod rotates to expose coarse & fine honing surfaces, as well as a grooved surface for sharpening fish hooks. A second, small ceramic rod is used for sharpening serrations
  • CONSISTENT BLADE EDGE ANGLES - purpose built 20° angle guide for sharpening with the diamond plates, & 25° angle guide for honing a strong micro-bevel. Five abrasive steps provide a complete sharpening solution: coarse & fine diamond sharpening plates, coarse & fine ceramic hones, & a leather strop.

I use this.  The diamond stones are held on by magnets so you can flip them when not in use to protect them. Versatile.  Not heavy but enough stone to work with easily
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best I've found so far is a plastic holder with two fine and two medium grit dime sized crock sticks mounted in it.

Like these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/SharpNEasy-2-Step-Knife-Sharpener/142633721

If you are using an S30V blade or other exotic, good luck. High end steels don't dull easily, they don't sharpen easily either. A lesser grade steel for field use actually does a better job long term. Sharpening angle also has a bearing, the narrower the sharper but it lasts a shorter length of time.

Hence, a larger tool knife is usually a simpler lower alloy, a fine edge small blade, higher alloy.
View Quote
S30v is pedestrian.

3v, supergold and s110v are where it's at now.

With the work sharp I posted, sharpening is not a problem
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a small diamond honing "stone" I use in the field to touch up.  Currently using a Lansky system back at the house to put a real edge on knives.  Plan to get a Wicked Edge system some time in the future.

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/3KT18_AS02?$mdmain$
View Quote
This approach requires some user skill to effectively employ, as I'm sure you will agree.  I'm certain that in the right (skilled) hands, this device will do a good job. The point of this thread is to provide viable, inexpensive alternatives that unskilled persons can use.  No offense intended, of course.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep one of the small hand held models that guards the fingers quick effective and available in bright colors at most hardware stores. Isn’t the best by any means but perfect and light for a pack and requires little to no skill. I like the fact that cold wet and elbow deep in game you can touch up the knife and go back to work.

I also have a Lansky kit with various stones and an angled holder but not exactly quick more for fixing later.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I keep one of the small hand held models that guards the fingers quick effective and available in bright colors at most hardware stores. Isn't the best by any means but perfect and light for a pack and requires little to no skill. I like the fact that cold wet and elbow deep in game you can touch up the knife and go back to work.

I also have a Lansky kit with various stones and an angled holder but not exactly quick more for fixing later.
View Quote
Which one?  For Field Use?  Most of us have Lansky rigs for home use.  That's not the purpose of this thread.  Thanks for responding but it would be helpful if you could give a link to your device.  I'd be obliged for such a link, and thanks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which one?  For Field Use?  Most of us have Lansky rigs for home use.  That's not the purpose of this thread.  Thanks for responding but it would be helpful if you could give a link to your device.  I'd be obliged for such a link, and thanks.
View Quote
https://knifeworks.com/smiths-10-second-knife-scissors-sharpener/

There are several I’ve used over the years similar. Accu comes to mind.

https://www.cutlerywholesaler.com/AccuSharp-Carbide-Hand-Held-Knife-Sharpener

ETA: I keep the lansky kit in my pack Incase it’s a drop everything and leave type situation that’s why I mentioned it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I preferred the top set with the scissors sharpener for my hunting pack as I keep a set of kitchen shears for processing game.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 2:27:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This approach requires some user skill to effectively employ, as I'm sure you will agree.  I'm certain that in the right (skilled) hands, this device will do a good job. The point of this thread is to provide viable, inexpensive alternatives that unskilled persons can use.  No offense intended, of course.
View Quote
All you need is a basic knowledge of how an edge is formed on a blade and a basic concept of angles. Anyone can make a decent edge with simple sharpening tools if they understand those basic concepts of sharpening. Skill is what enables someone to get a shaving sharp edge with a flat stone. Shaving sharp, while nice, isn't necessary for sharpening a knife for basic uses around a campsite.

The fancy systems out there enable someone with almost no skill to put a precision edge on a blade in very little time. That said, if I'm backpacking my stuff, I don't want a heavy sharpening kit. A couple of those diamond stones I poster above will do the trick with no problem and very little skill is needed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#15]
What do you all think of this little item for general field use: https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC/ref=sxin_0_osp48-c162ea8d_cov?ascsubtag=c162ea8d-2eee-433c-80bd-6c314c82640e&creativeASIN=B000O8OTNC&crid=179E93EIYPRLK&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.c162ea8d-2eee-433c-80bd-6c314c82640e&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=smiths%2Bknife%2Bsharpener&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B000O8OTNC&pd_rd_r=f7fc5b53-6f3b-4472-803c-f68da7bb7c7b&pd_rd_w=MpV8I&pd_rd_wg=hdT2G&pf_rd_p=53eff971-6e12-4016-9864-b6dfd929b2b3&pf_rd_r=53QDF9SN6S3V960HNRB6&qid=1574866121&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=smiths%2Csporting%2C162&tag=spyonsite-20&th=1

Both the Ceramic and Carbide cutters can be reversed and/or replaced by the user.  Spares available at Mfr's web site.  Unfortunately, like most such tools, the width of the blade is limited by the tool's configuration.

ETA:  Using only the carbide cutters will certainly give a rough edge, so as with most examples of this type tool, a few drags of the blade along the carbide, and many along the ceramic.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I've tried several of those types in the past. Not that particular one though. I have never liked them because the ones I have used make a jagged edge. Better than no edge but not a good edge. That said, maybe the new ones are better. I haven't used that type in years.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I dont like anything that determines the angle of my edge for me. That's why I stick with the flat sharpeners. Most of.my go-to knives are 3v now days and are easy to touch up with the tools I mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 3:39:08 AM EDT
[#18]
For field/expedient use, I like these http://www.rediedge.com/store.aspx?p=47245
(They have 30, 40, and 60 degree ones, if you like a particular angle)

It's not as good as my Ken Onion Work Sharp, but it also doesn't need a 120v outlet!
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Lansky Quick Fix in my get home bag.  I have only used it on knives.  It does a pretty good job and anyone who carries a knife should be able to figure out how to use it by looking at it.

Link Posted: 11/28/2019 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B009YKHZ96I use this.  The diamond stones are held on by magnets so you can flip them when not in use to protect them. Versatile.  Not heavy but enough stone to work with easily
View Quote
Seconded. I bought one of these a year or two ago and it's great for smaller knives, acceptable for large knives. I wish they made one about an inch or two longer but this is GTG.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Seconded. I bought one of these a year or two ago and it's great for smaller knives, acceptable for large knives. I wish they made one about an inch or two longer but this is GTG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B009YKHZ96I use this.  The diamond stones are held on by magnets so you can flip them when not in use to protect them. Versatile.  Not heavy but enough stone to work with easily
Now that I've had a chance to look at that sharpener a little closer, that looks pretty neat.  Any idea how much it weighs?
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Go look at what those do to your edge under a microscope.
You will never use one on a knife ever again.
View Quote
Do they make a dull knife sharper?
This is Field-use--sharpeners you use because you have to, not because you were planning on it last week.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 2:20:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do they make a dull knife sharper?
This is Field-use--sharpeners you use because you have to, not because you were planning on it last week.
View Quote
All the ones I have played with create a jagged edge that takes longer to fix later which also leads to the necessity of removing more blade material than you should have to when you actually sharpen it properly. Maybe the new ones out there now work better. I don't know. I know small flat diamond sharpeners are small, light, and easy to use to quickly touch up a knife that has lost its edge but doesn't need the edge angle redone.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/3KT18_AS02?$mdmain$
View Quote
You should check out the DMT Diafold.

I've had the Diafold Fine for 20+ years, and it still works great. I replaced it with a Diafold Duo a couple of years ago, because it's 2-in-1. I got the Coarse + Fine. The Coarse has allowed me to quickly reprofile the edge on friend's dull ass knives, machetes, and even an axe. The fine gets things shaving sharp.

Amazon Product
  • Portable, lightweight with convenient fold & go handles which enclose and protect the diamond whetstone when not in use
  • 2 sided with coarse diamond to transform a dull edge and fine diamond for a razor sharp edge
  • Sharpens knives and tools faster than conventional stones with DMT's monocrystalline diamond surface

Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#26]
If I had to use a pull through knife sharpener , I would much prefer this one . Has different angles for different blade degree.

Here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#27]
For a short-term, field sharpening tool used by the inexperienced, the small pull-through sharpeners are fine.  I think many bench sharpeners, who do a great job, don't use knives in the field long enough to understand the need.  TOPS knives sent me a few and I have them laying around; they work as intended.  I do agree, they're not good for an edge you spent time re-profiling and when you get home, you'll want to definitely clean up the edge, but for those shorter combat deployments or even a hunting trip needed to skin and quarter larger game, those pull through (I prefer ceramic) sharpeners will work just fine.

Personally the two I use the most for axes on down are the DMT's duo-fold diamond sharpeners and the GATCO tri-ceps ceramic sharper.  The Tri-ceps is really a good small blade sharpener and will do will on serrated edges as well.  The DMT is simply a light but effective tool for larger cutting implements.  Another I really like is Fallkniven's DC4 (and the smaller 3) double-sided sharpener.  While a flat sharpener does require more skill, it's really not rocket science to figure it out...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Pull through sharpeners are easy to use but easy to abuse too.  I can't tell you how many people I've met who think you need to bear down on them in use.  They oftentimes aren't as versatile as you'd expect, limiting in terms of angles etc.  That is why they are regularly reviled on knife forums:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-is-the-point-of-a-pull-through-sharpener.1423170/

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=71526

etc

With the proliferation of Mora and other Scandi blade knives those owners are definitely better served with a decent flat "stone".  For people new to sharpening they are a cinch.  For other grinds the wedges probably would help people new to sharpening.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Now that I've had a chance to look at that sharpener a little closer, that looks pretty neat.  Any idea how much it weighs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
4.6 oz. according to the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

4.6 oz. according to the manufacturer.
View Quote
A little heavier than I'd prefer for backpacking but for ATV and car camping, that seems ideal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For a short-term, field sharpening tool used by the inexperienced, the small pull-through sharpeners are fine.  I think many bench sharpeners, who do a great job, don't use knives in the field long enough to understand the need.  TOPS knives sent me a few and I have them laying around; they work as intended.  I do agree, they're not good for an edge you spent time re-profiling and when you get home, you'll want to definitely clean up the edge, but for those shorter combat deployments or even a hunting trip needed to skin and quarter larger game, those pull through (I prefer ceramic) sharpeners will work just fine.

Personally the two I use the most for axes on down are the DMT's duo-fold diamond sharpeners and the GATCO tri-ceps ceramic sharper.  The Tri-ceps is really a good small blade sharpener and will do will on serrated edges as well.  The DMT is simply a light but effective tool for larger cutting implements.  Another I really like is Fallkniven's DC4 (and the smaller 3) double-sided sharpener.  While a flat sharpener does require more skill, it's really not rocket science to figure it out...

ROCK6
View Quote
I have a LOT of knife sharpeners, including the DMT units you mention.  They have served me well, and are probably due for replacement, having served me for decades.  I have also taken the time/effort to understand how to use them properly.  This is easily done at home, but not so easily done in the field, especially for the first time, which is exactly when some folks will need to re-sharpen their cutting tools for the first time.   Concur with your implied suggestion of using the metal (carbide) tool for the initial shaping, and then many strokes on the ceramic for polishing.  I doubt many newbies to sharpening will read the instructions, that's all.

Now, I understand that practice with one's gear before going into the field is a fundamental tenant, but some folks will not heed such advice, and find themselves needing to sharpen their tools under adverse conditions, with little, or no prior experience.  It's gonna happen, whether we like it or not.  Let's try to give them some decent, fool-proof suggestions that will at least carry them through.

I doubt many experienced blade sharpeners will drag along their entire kit to maintain their blades in the field. But, this thread is not about experts.  Let's see what they would suggest for use in the field by non-experts.

I'll re-write my original post to clarify things. Please re-read the OP, and then continue.  Regret my inexact OP, but little harm done, I reckon.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 4:45:42 AM EDT
[#32]
My answer wouldn't change. It's very easy to sharpen a blade with a simple diamond stone. Anyone can do it. They just have to have a very rudimentary knowledge of blade sharpening. A Boy Scout manual or a YouTube video will teach a person with no knowledge the basics of knife sharpening.  A razor sharp edge isn't going to happen without some more knowledge and practice but a sufficiently sharp edge can easily be done by someone with little practice.

If you don't have even a vague idea of how to sharpen a blade or the interest to learn, maybe you should rethink your decision to wander in the wild.

If you don't mind jagged edges on your knives, feel free to buy one of the sharpeners posted in this thread.  They will probably work well enough for a person who doesn't or refuses to care.

I would guess the average person who refuses to learn a little about knife sharpening also doesn't spend enough time in the outdoors to actually dull a knife. So, they can just take it in to the local knife sharpening place and let someone else do it for them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My answer wouldn't change. It's very easy to sharpen a blade with a simple diamond stone. Anyone can do it. They just have to have a very rudimentary knowledge of blade sharpening. A Boy Scout manual or a YouTube video will teach a person with no knowledge the basics of knife sharpening.  A razor sharp edge isn't going to happen without some more knowledge and practice but a sufficiently sharp edge can easily be done by someone with little practice.

If you don't have even a vague idea of how to sharpen a blade or the interest to learn, maybe you should rethink your decision to wander in the wild.

If you don't mind jagged edges on your knives, feel free to buy one of the sharpeners posted in this thread.  They will probably work well enough for a person who doesn't or refuses to care.

I would guess the average person who refuses to learn a little about knife sharpening also doesn't spend enough time in the outdoors to actually dull a knife. So, they can just take it in to the local knife sharpening place and let someone else do it for them.
View Quote
I concur with most of your points except the last paragraph.

In my experience, there are a LOT of people who EDC butter knives, which is perplexing, because anywhere I've ever been that served bread rolls and butter, always provided a butter knife.

The only ones that have sharp knives and don't know how to sharpen them, are the ones who have a whole bunch of practically new knives that they just rotate to accessorize with, but never use.

If I'm carrying a knife, it needs to be able to shave with. I like those DMT Diafold Duos because they only weigh 2.4 oz. With the diamond surface being 4.33" long, I've sharpened 24" machetes with them. The Coarse side takes off metal quickly enough, that I've reprofiled some remarkably dull edges on friend's knives with it. Then touched up the edge to shaving sharp with the Fine side.

The diamond sharpeners will sharpen even the supersteels easily, and do it quickly.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I taught my son to first earn how to sharpen a Mora on a bench stone, but I put a small v-sharpener in his outdoors kit and he knew the basics.  I think you'd be surprised at how many "outdoorsmen" and even Soldiers who carry dull knives; I saw dozens in Afghanistan (I also offered to sharpen them and teach them how to sharpen them).  Contrary to popular belief, most people who carry a knife is such environments aren't really knife people.  Most like partially serrated edges because they cut longer than a dull straight edge.  You're right that there is no excuse, but the reality is, most just don't care (until they need a sharp edge or cut themselves from forcing a dull knife through something).

This was the whole point to the OPs post.  There are those that don't really care or simply refuse to learn how to sharpen.  If I was to recommend a sharpener in their kit, the pull-through sharpeners are okay for short term touch-ups.  The only issue I've found is that you need to profile your blade to maximize the pull-through sharpeners (which isn't going to happen if they don't want to sharpen in the first place).  For a novice, they're fine, but it needs to be caveated that it's short term for minor field sharpening/touchups.

I really found myself packing the simple GATCO sharpener:

I won't be doing any reprofiling, but if I have a serrated edge (or somebody else does), I can tackle that, but for the most part, it's simply to touch up the edge and it gives me the freedom to adjust the angle to fit the bevel I have.  Even with this, it's not substitute for a sharpening and honing kit to really keep an edge razor sharp...which is what I prefer.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I've used Coffee cups to touch up blades in a pinch. The ring on the bottom of a ceramic mug can make a rudimentary stone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've used Coffee cups to touch up blades in a pinch. The ring on the bottom of a ceramic mug can make a rudimentary stone.
View Quote
I read about that somewhere so tried it on a cheap knife and it did work. But, the average person who can't sharpen a knife on a stone won't make it happen on a cup.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I have this small diamond sharper from Home Depot my brother got me.
It has an orange rubber cover on the handle so I believe it's Stihl.
Cheap and works.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-6-in-Diamond-Coated-Blade-Sharpener-378340-1001/300380286

I stand corrected, it's Fiskar.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think you'd be surprised at how many "outdoorsmen" and even Soldiers who carry dull knives; I saw dozens in Afghanistan (I also offered to sharpen them and teach them how to sharpen them).  Contrary to popular belief, most people who carry a knife is such environments aren't really knife people.  Most like partially serrated edges because they cut longer than a dull straight edge.  You're right that there is no excuse, but the reality is, most just don't care (until they need a sharp edge or cut themselves from forcing a dull knife through something).
View Quote
I wouldn't be surprised. Spent 20 years in the USMC. Seen many dull knives. That said, military personnel really don't use knives all that much. For most, a good multi tool is a far more useful tool. (opening ammo crates and fixing weapons, radios, and maybe vehicles) Most knives for most service members are primarily used to open MREs. That's why those who show up with "big" knives strapped to their gear are teased about their "MRE opener"....and realistically that's all they are usually used for. I went to several military survival schools during my career and yes we did use knives a lot during those classes. But, for the average service member, just like the average member of the public, a knife isn't typically used for survival purposes. Most people use a knife for simple cutting needs and even a dull knife can handle what most people use them for.

So, I agree that one of those pull through sharpener will work for the average person....But I would bet the average person who doesn't care about a halfway decent edge on their knife will also not use one of those pull through sharpeners either.

I never recommend those pull through sharpeners to anyone but have shown a few people how to put a decent edge on their knives with a simple flat sharpener and I have yet to meet someone who couldn't get a fair edge with a few mins of practice.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.

That's pretty much all I use.

Entirely adequate for my purposes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Rada Sharpeners are decent. I use them on Kukri's as it is the only way I have found to sharpen the curvature.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 1:11:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B0085PPSIQSomething like this. Just draw through, don't use too much force.

There are cheaper versions as well.

Get a couple, they are easy to lose.
I have had good results with both of the above...
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So, I agree that one of those pull through sharpener will work for the average person....But I would bet the average person who doesn't care about a halfway decent edge on their knife will also not use one of those pull through sharpeners either.  
View Quote
This is actually a good point.  Those small pull through sharpeners really only work on a well-profiled and sharp blade to start with.  They really aren't going to sharpen a dull edge.  What they do well (and sort of screw up your bevel) is remove enough steel on a good edge profile to keep it sharper for short term; you will eventually dull the bevel beyond the effective angle of most pull through sharpeners.

I'm pretty anal on keeping an even bevel profile and as razor sharp as I can get a blade.  I would only use the pull through sharpeners for the convenience of poor planning  I just do better with a flat sharpener or something like that Triceps when in the field or on deployments.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#43]
While admitting the shortcomings of many simple tools, they at least have the advantages of small size and weight, not to mention simplicity of use.  In such a case, I believe these tools have a certain, limited, utility on an ad hoc, or an emergency basis.  Better the less-than-perfect tool that one has available than a much better tool that is unavailable.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Edge of a car or truck window glass works well.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I have become very leery about magnets anywhere on my person/gear.

A long time ago, a major gear mfr offered pouches secured by high-strength magnets.  I questioned such, as possibly being detrimental to the use of hand-held compasses.  A Member here responded with a test of same, and found that the pouch magnets, when using a hand-held compass near them, caused significant deviation as to compass readings.

Now, whether or not  magnetic device way back in one's pack will induce erroneous compass readings may be different than using a compass right near similar magnets.  I don't know the answer, and don't want to find out the hard way that such magnets DO influence one's compass.

FWIW, such magnetically-secured pouches are no longer offered, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I've had the Diafold Fine for 20+ years, and it still works great. I replaced it with a Diafold Duo a couple of years ago, because it's 2-in-1. I got the Coarse + Fine. The Coarse has allowed me to quickly reprofile the edge on friend's dull ass knives, machetes, and even an axe. The fine gets things shaving sharp.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WFTW
View Quote
This right here. I’ve been using a Coarse/Medium Diafold sharpener since 2005, and I never go overseas without that very same one. It’s sitting in a Blue Force Gear pistol mag pouch on my belt right now, and just seems to last forever.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This right here. I've been using a Coarse/Medium Diafold sharpener since 2005, and I never go overseas without that very same one. It's sitting in a Blue Force Gear pistol mag pouch on my belt right now, and just seems to last forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WFTW
This right here. I've been using a Coarse/Medium Diafold sharpener since 2005, and I never go overseas without that very same one. It's sitting in a Blue Force Gear pistol mag pouch on my belt right now, and just seems to last forever.
I think, for an experienced user, this double-sided tool is a great idea.  I have been using a single-sided FINE tool for years, and it works all right for me.  I have some reservations about a person who is not experienced sharpener being able to quickly and effectively use this tool  However, in the right hands, this tool is certainly capable of getting the job done.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The purpose of this topic is to investigate lightweight, effective, sharpening devices which are intended for "Field-Use".  Such devices should be simple, lightweight, useable on many different tools (knives/axes), and be useable by most users in the field, with little, or no prior experience in sharpening their cutting tools.  No high-level skill should be required for the effective use of such tools; Such tools should be useable by users who are sharpening their cutting tool for the first time.  Their having read the instructions for using such tools should NOT be automatically assumed.

Such devices must be effective in conjunction with most commonly expected steels.

I know there are a LOT of expert tool sharpeners hereabouts.  What I'm asking for is NOT their exquisite home/shop sharpening rig, but what they would suggest for carry into the field for a very long duration.  More to the point, is what Experts would suggest for such an application.  Remember, the user is assumed to NOT be an expert blade sharpener.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Bonus points for discussing tools you have personally used.
View Quote
Probably the best knife sharpener I have ever used that you would actually put in a pocket or BOB would he the Sharp'nSpark. It's basically a piece of carbide that you drag along the blade at varying angles until you feel it drag. Then you hold that angle and put some pressure as you drag. It has a carbide V-notch to put the proper angle back on when you invariably sharpen it away from being optimal as well. It will give you a shaving edge if you are patient enough, but a few strokes going lighter each pass and side of the blade will get you a functional blade for most outdoor needs.

It's got a flint rod in it as well inside the handle, as well as a bottle opener. Small enough to put on your keychain.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 4:22:01 AM EDT
[#49]

I carry a Lansky Puck for sharpening my hatchet should I need to in the field, I usually touch it up at home with a diamond sharpener before I go out but carry a puck JIC. I figured that would suffice if my knife also needed a touch up as well. Never had to find out though
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I just bought this Lansky QuadSharp sharpener for $15 from The Knife Center:

I also bought this nifty Old Hickory Hunting knife as well:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top