Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2021 4:51:55 PM EDT
Question... 4 U All

We use Deer,Turkey,Pheasant,Peacock, Beaver,Squirrel,Rabbit,Duck,Elk,...Etc.....  In our "Patterns"

With,
  Chicken,
leading for Hackle  and Saddles

We use a myriad of material types, in our endeavors...to make the bestest FLY EVER!!!

Copper,Lead and Krystal Flash.
Multiple Colors

Beads even

Dry or Wet>???
==========================================

Here is the Question,

Any of you used Dog or Cat hairs in your patterns?
 Human Hair?
Horse?
Exotic feathers or furs?

Bear...
Ground Hog,
Cheetah

I've used bluejay and Cardinal

Success or no?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget kip tails
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the guys I used to fish with would hand out dubbing from his Maine coon cat. Works fine. I have seen flies tied with golden retriever hair.

I use skunk tail on jigs and streamers. Works fine. I also use porcupine quills for extended bodies.

Bear is a common material. I use hair from bears I shot.

Hille's got busted years ago by the feds for having raven or crow feathers, I don't remember which. I have great sources for raptor and heron feathers but I won't use them.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The only semi-exotic I used was the time a truck in front of me whacked a peacock.  The owner came out I asked if I could take the hurls for tying flies, they said go ahead so I harvested all the tail some of the next feathers.

Also I took an elk last year so I kept the neck, tanned the flesh, cut it into strips, I'm still using it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#4]
The guard hairs my beagle sheds make great dry fly tails.

I would definitely tie with some Indian crow if I had the budget.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Blk/tan longhaired Dachshund hair makes great dubbing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  Any kind of hair will work.  If it looks like a bug, the fish will generally eat it.  I've not found anything that I didn't think would work, if tied up correctly.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My absolute best bonefish flies are tied from Norfolk Terrier fur.  Sadly the producers are no longer with me but I harvested plenty during their lives.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I've tied a fly using nothing but my armpit hair, and caught a trout on it. This was to win a bet.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL I grew a huge handlebar mustache a couple of years ago until it got annoying. So I clipped it and used it as hackle for a few flies I tied for my wife. She hated the mustache so it just felt like the right thing to do
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hatidua] [#10]
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hatidua] [#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Way back when my Dad then I used to subscribe to Fly Fisherman magazine, they would have Ed Zern stories on the last page.   The funniest story I recall was about a fly shop run by a guy he calls “the old crud”
The story teller was describing his visit to the old shop and that he needed some dubbing wax.
Basically it was about where he was getting the dubbing wax from
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top