Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2018 2:21:22 AM EDT
As an early adopter of Yeti's high-performance coolers, I've been an enthusiastic fan and proponent of their  products, for years, here, and elsewhere. However, my recent sad experience with their so-called "customer service" staff has changed my opinion of the company, and soured me on their products ...

I initially purchased a Yeti 40 quart "Roughneck" model ice chest, and finding it a bit too heavy for my small-boating use, bought another, 25 quart Roughneck, and subsequently, a couple more hard and soft Yeti coolers, as well as various small Yeti accessories --- vacuum mugs,/can cozies,etc., hundreds of dollars worth of investment --- none of which have provided poor performance or cause for complaint, until I ran into a customer support/service issue in the last few days... I carelessly lost a Roughneck drain plug while replenishing ice in a northern AZ market parking lot, and by the time I discovered my loss, the plug had rolled off my Tacoma's tailgate, and been driven over often enough to destroy it.  Mistakenly supposing that this was a trivial and inexpensive replacement, when I next had cell service, I called Yeti, and was  informed that they were no longer supporting the Roughneck product line, and had no replacement parts in inventory.

After eventually asking for the simple courtesy of providing the diameter/thread pitch  of the OEM drain plug (hoping I might find a viable alternative) Yeti ridiculously, risibly,  replied, "this is private, intellectual property which we cannot disclose. "

So, buy Yeti products with the expectation of worthless warranties,  and hopeless customer support.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 6:44:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#3]
"High performance," "investment," and "hundreds of dollars" told me all I need to know.

There is an answer: a cork. Available in fine wine stores everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"High performance," "investment," and "hundreds of dollars" told me all I need to know.

View Quote
This. Yeti is a joke.  They work no doubt but are horribly overpriced.

I’m not poor yet still won’t buy a yeti cooler.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tired of leaking drain plugs in the vehicle my buddy took a stainless nut and bolt and some rubber and permanently closed the drains.   Smaller than 50 quart size though.   Me I filled up the hole with silicone caulk and put the cap back on.   I use cheap Coleman though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
This... OP has poor “investment” skills
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Tired of leaking drain plugs in the vehicle my buddy took a stainless nut and bolt and some rubber and permanently closed the drains.   Smaller than 50 quart size though.   Me I filled up the hole with silicone caulk and put the cap back on.   I use cheap Coleman though.  
View Quote
Peasant.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#8]
OP buys old products, loses and destroys parts of it, but it’s YETI customer service at fault.

#metoo
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not poor yet still won't buy a yeti cooler.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not poor yet still won't buy a yeti cooler.
This.  I think I'd actually be a little embarrassed to own one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP buys old products, loses and destroys parts of it, but it's YETI customer service at fault.

#metoo
View Quote
I can still get any part I need for my twenty year old Coleman, from literally hundreds of places.  If it was older than that, parts would be available too.

Yeti is a tax on posers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I hear good things about Pelican coolers, same people than make the hard military cases.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP buys old products, loses and destroys parts of it, but it’s YETI customer service at fault.

#metoo
View All Quotes
Quoted:

#metoo

This guy barely skims the o p and then decides to post a snarky comment in an attempt to seem intellectually Superior... yet the very fact that he literally fails at reading comprehension makes me hope that he never ever has to deal with warranty service for any company ever.

Quoted:
I hear good things about Pelican coolers, same people than make the hard military cases.
I've been looking really hard at pelicans because of their latch system. Back when I was a child I had some bad experiences with the old school black rubber bungee straps and to this day have a hard time getting over my mistrust of an entirely Rubber tensioning products.  None of my s*** is ever going to have to withstand the bear attack, but if that rubber ever let's go then you're kind of screwed unless you have a spare with you
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Peasant.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peasant.  
Lol probably.  Yeti to me is like buying a time share or a campground membership.

I spent my money on Night vision and an IR fricken laser beam.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeti pretty much said- stop being poor and buy a new cooler. Lol
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The answer to the question "Why are you not poor?", may be hidden in this statement
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This guy barely skims the o p and then decides to post a snarky comment in an attempt to seem intellectually Superior... yet the very fact that he literally fails at reading comprehension makes me hope that he never ever has to deal with warranty service for any company ever.

I've been looking really hard at pelicans because of their latch system. Back when I was a child I had some bad experiences with the old school black rubber bungee straps and to this day have a hard time getting over my mistrust of an entirely Rubber tensioning products.  None of my s*** is ever going to have to withstand the bear attack, but if that rubber ever let's go then you're kind of screwed unless you have a spare with you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#metoo

Quoted:
Get it.   They’re awesome!  I’ve had several of the good coolers and Pelicans are by far my favorite.

Attachment Attached File

And when you lose they drain plug they’re the same as a cap for a garden hose.  So $4 at Lowe’s and you’re back in business with a spare.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I remember the good old days when you worried about people stealing the beer out of your cooler.  Now you worry about them dumping it out and taking the cooler.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks ---they fit!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for your witty reply ---it's another useful reminder of why not to start an intelligent discussion in this forum...
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for your witty reply ---it's another useful reminder of why not to start an intelligent discussion in this forum...
View Quote
Your tale of woe got you a link to a replacement part.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

IR fricken laser beam.
View Quote
Is that an upgrade over a regular IR laser beam?

I'm too poor for Yeti. and NVG's......
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
At least he doesn't consider an overpriced piece of plastic and foam an "investment"....
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#24]
screw yeti
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeti coolers are the dumbest shit.  Just insanely dumb.

The price point is within shouting distance of an Engle refrigerator/freezer that will make fucking ice.  
What OP should have “invested” in

Kind of like all these built wranglers running around that have never been in 4low.

OP got fucked by Yeti twice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#26]
My friend pointed out the 1 year warranty on my RTIC as a reason he bought a Yeti...
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Intelligent Hard to take you seriously when a member had to hand you a solution to your dilemma.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I couldn't be happier with my Canyon Coolers products.

They are cheaper and support the 2nd amendment.

Local Arizona based too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a huge yeti cooler that my last company gave all the employees as Christmas gifts. I'll admit, it's a decent cooler but I'm always embarrassed when I use it. I need to just paint, "It was a gift, damnit!" on the side and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The answer to the question "Why are you not poor?", may be hidden in this statement
View Quote
"Yeti hates this one simple trick!"
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#32]
“Hundreds of Dollars worth of Investment”.  
That’s awesome.  

Post a picture of the plug hole with a 5.56 in it for scale.    Somebody here will be able to tell you exactly what you’ll need and where to buy it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 1:42:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I have some rotomolded coolers from Wal-Mart.  Ozark Trail ones.  Don't own any Yeti coolers.  All the tests I've seen have shown that they perform as well as Yeti for a fraction of the price.  I got mine on clearance so the price was even better.  I don't think any company clearances Yeti!
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a Pelican 35 quart cooler and I am happy with it.   I drive a full size SUV and there are times when you could accurately say that I live out of it.  To that end I keep six to ten 16 oz water bottles, four 32 oz bottles of Gatorade, a half dozen cans of food and two two-liter bottles of ice, a tupperware of batteries, flashlights, etc.   The ice keeps everything cold for 48 hours easy, even in an enclosed vehicle on a bright summer day.   I try to swap the ice for fresh every day.  It doesn't always happen.   Keep in mind that I only need to keep the cooler cool.  I am not keeping perishable foods for multiple days on four liters of ice.

The cooler has been through the ringer on more than one occasion and it has held up fine.   My ONLY gripe about the cooler is that the bottom is not smooth.   It can be a little bit of a hassle to remove the two two-liter ice packs because the rest of the up-right bottles will fall into the open space.

I really like having the cooler in my daily vehicle.   The number of times that the task that took me away from home turned into something else but I didn't have to worry about water or food is surprisingly high.   One time I had my BIL call me on the way home from work.  I swung by, worked with him for a few hours, and as we shot the breeze after I handed him a bottle of water out of the back of my truck.   His reaction:  "ITS COLD?!?!?!"  Priceless.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
To be fair OP, any guy halfway handy could buy a pair of calipers (1/4 the price of a Yeti cooler for name brand) and measure the drain plug himself.  From there, find a suitable match or make one.

Addtionally, you started this thread to vent, not engage in "intelligent discussion".  Had that been your intent, your post would have simply stated what cooler you have and ask if someone knew the thread size on the drain.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
You must spend most of your time in the rocket surgeon forums. We will miss you when you go back.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Interestingly, I actually fall into the early adopter class for a few products, that now, are no longer considered to be "the best".. But many many years ago when I bought my 2 yetis, they were the ONLY thing in their class of cooler. Would I buy one now? of course not. But having drug them cross country several times filled with game meats.. I love them..

I recently had a very interesting conversation with some idiot over on candlepower, when he pointed out "maglights are junk".. well.. since I own maglights, that were proven during the discussion, to be older then he is.. "junk" is pretty harsh. When I pointed out that before he was born, my 4 D cell mag was patrolling the tripoint in the FRG.. he cussed me out and blocked me.. LOL.

Would I buy a NEW mag light today? Nope. But I sure as hell ain't throwing them out either. In their day, they were the best, and probably the one and only reason anyone decided to develop better smaller flashlights. My EDC is a funky little nitecore I LOVE.. but you ain't banging anyone in the head with it, ever. LOL
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't buy chinese commie coolers
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Another look what I bought, trying to be kool.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I buy whatever rotomolded cooler is on sake if I need one. They all do the same thing. No Yetis in my stable currently.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This.  I think I'd actually be a little embarrassed to own one.
View Quote
If that would embarrass you, just think what a little tool you would feel like with a Yetti sticker on your vehicle.  It is like the automotive version of a neck tattoo.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#43]
My free from craigslist Igloo Marine cooler with broken latches has served me quite well. And no proprietary drain plugs, just a garden-hose cap... I've lost a few over the years and they can be replaced with a $1 cap from the big box store...
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought a Pelican 65 qt. for our first trip to southern Colorado and Utah in 2016.  Packed it full of block ice and frozen meat sealed in plastic and we ate fresh chuck roast ten days later.  The cooler was in the open bed of a pickup truck in full sun with temps in the upper 80's during the day.  We made a second trip out to Canyonlands NP (Temps in the 90's) this past September and had the same results.  Big and heavy but its really an awesome cooler.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeti makes good products, overly priced though.  I won't have one though, not because of customer service, or whatever, but because they don't support the Second Amendment.  In fact, I won't knowingly give my money to any business or entity that doesn't support the Second Amendment.

Too many good men and women have given their lives to honor me, so I will always honor them.

Happy Trails.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top