Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2018 9:50:31 PM EDT
We have had a feral cat move on to our property this year and there has been a marked decline of rodents.  This is fine by me.   I was wondering what I can do to keep her around?  What kind of cat house would help?  Should we add some cat food for her?  We have a stream that flows through the property that is open pretty must year round, so she does have fresh water.  
She is curious but a bit stand offish.  Which is fine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never seen any cat use a house built for them.  They like barns and such that have lots of cozy hiding places,  and especially elevated ones that give them a good view.  You can put out cat food, but I would do it in the daytime to avoid other critters eating it. Dogs would still be an issue though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Put some wet cat food out. Cats will never live in anything a human built for them. They will always find some obscure box or spot to sleep in.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Feral cats should be properly vaccinated...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]
A large plastic tub.  Turn it over and cut a cat-sized entrance hole in one side.  Add a few blankets or straw.  Rodents gone for life.

A can of wet cat food every once in a while helps.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife has some outdoor cats around here. She was feeding them twice a day until she went out one morning and found a family of raccoons in the shed having breakfast. Ive seen a fox run out of that shed also. She now only feeds enough that its gone before dark.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A large plastic tub.  Turn it over and cut a cat-sized entrance hole in one side.  Add a few blankets or straw.  Rodents gone for life.

A can of wet cat food every once in a while helps.
View Quote
We've got one that showed up a couple of years ago and for the most part lays around our backyard like a dog without the mess. My wife took a plastic tote, turned it up-side down and cut a cat size hole in the side then went to the thrift store and bought a couple of old wool coats for a dollar each and put one in for bedding. He only uses the tote in winter and if it rains or snows we check the bedding and if its damp or wet swap coats and launder the wet one.

We feed him dry food twice a day and try to give him only enough that he will clean out his bowl but still be full. If we give him more than he can eat in the evening the left over food will occasionally draw a possum or coon and he's been smart enough to not tackle a coon.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Sincec I started this thread the cat now comes over to see what I am doing anytime I am out side.  She stays about 15 ft away.   I have a tote I will put a cat size hole n it and start putting some food out .  It will be interesting to see if she stays around.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a male (fixed) that's 87% outside..
Frigid WX we let him in.
I had an old cooler with a messed up lid I made a cat house from.
Couple old towels & set it on a left over chunk of blueboard insulation.
Its on the end of a work bench in the barn & the cat is usually in it.
We raise a beef critter every couple years so there's gonna be rodents looking for spilled grain etc.
He keeps 'em down a bit.
I usually find a gut pile every day or so.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#10]
We've got 4 cats around the yard. My boston terrier does a much better job of catching rats - but there are some places he just can't get to. I did catch him on the work bench yesterday - no idea how he got there haha.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Put some wet cat food out. Cats will never live in anything a human built for them. They will always find some obscure box or spot to sleep in.
View Quote
True.

But if you can find the spot they are sleeping you can add an old blanket to it to make it a bit better.  Look for a bunch of cat fur in some out of the way sheltered spot.

Wet food and a water source will help her stick around.  Some cats kill for fun. Don't worry too much about feeding enough that she stops hunting. Chances are if she is a good killer and didn't spend all her time begging from you that she likes to hunt.

I would capture and neuter if you don't want a whole colony if inbred cats.

Run off stuff like coyotes and raccoons.  Skunks and possums are probably harmless to a cat.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sincec I started this thread the cat now comes over to see what I am doing anytime I am out side.  She stays about 15 ft away.   I have a tote I will put a cat size hole n it and start putting some food out .  It will be interesting to see if she stays around.
View Quote
This behavior is domestication display.

Human does stuff, pokes at things, disturbs them, moves them.  Rodents flushed out by this, cat is there to catch rodents.  Human sees this, and cat gets better favors from human, especially where kittens are concerned when she would need the help.

Thus, breeding the "show human I am good hunter" behavior being strongly reinforced.

If you don't want an inside / outside cat you need to stop short of petting the cat.  Soon she'll be waltzing right into your house after you if you'all get too comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
True.

But if you can find the spot they are sleeping you can add an old blanket to it to make it a bit better.  Look for a bunch of cat fur in some out of the way sheltered spot.

Wet food and a water source will help her stick around.  Some cats kill for fun. Don't worry too much about feeding enough that she stops hunting. Chances are if she is a good killer and didn't spend all her time begging from you that she likes to hunt.

I would capture and neuter if you don't want a whole colony if inbred cats.

Run off stuff like coyotes and raccoons.  Skunks and possums are probably harmless to a cat.
View Quote
Solid advice right there. A blanket is a good idea. I've never had good luck with "homes" for cats. They always sleep in some weird box, crate or barrel I have laying about.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I get a tote and put about a 6" hole in one end add a blanket to it and leave food around and maybe she will.  That sound about right?
We left a little food for the cat today and it was gone before supper.
We have an elkhound that is a roamer so we keep the dog tied up.  The cat will not just walk in the house.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#15]
The wife saw the cat today and decided to call it YC.  I have a feeling we maybe trying to adopt this cat.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The wife saw the cat today and decided to call it YC.  I have a feeling we maybe trying to adopted this cat.  
View Quote
FIFY.  If you can, get it fixed, far better for the cat, far better for you.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Well YC comes around every 3 or 4 days.  The wife feeds her and pets her for about 1/2 hr each time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Trap and neuter.

Otherwise, keep it around.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
There was an outdoor cat here when I bought my house. We give her a little food in the mornings.
Previous owners said they fixed her so that she'd stay around.
Stray toms still come around occasionally but they usually just get "vaccinated" if they're loud.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well YC comes around every 3 or 4 days.  The wife feeds her and pets her for about 1/2 hr each time.
View Quote
Yep, you've been adopted. My feral/outdoor cat sleeps under my screen porch.  We keep a pile of old towels for it to sleep on and feed it every morning.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The wife saw the cat today and decided to call it YC.  I have a feeling we maybe trying to adopt this cat.  
View Quote
Be careful, My wife started that way now we have 5 cats an found new homes for 6 other strays, In the last 5 years. But the one cat we took in is 21 years old, the owner just got tried of him an throw him outside.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Solid advice right there. A blanket is a good idea. I've never had good luck with "homes" for cats. They always sleep in some weird box, crate or barrel I have laying about.
View Quote
Other than vision, cats have a very selective sense of smell regarding what they consider their territory and safe zones.  Let's say you found a box of rags the cat was laying in.  If you moved the rags to another container, it'll be less of a shock to check it out.

I've been lucky with keeping around feral cats.  Once I place a food dish on the porch, they keep coming back.  While the mother cat may remain untouchable or not easily approached, they'll bring their kittens to the food dish eventually, and that's when you can use toys or snacks (bits of processed cheese slices are the cat equivalent to crack cocaine) to lure the kitties in to tame them up for giving away.

Be careful with the snacks.  We tamed up one cat, and every time she saw us leave through the front door with something in our hands, she'd jump up and attack our hands.  Some cats would eat from your hand.  Others would dig their claws in and try to take it away.  The first cat we kept was so wary of humans, she would take a food scrap across the road before she ate it.

If a cat is caught in a live trap, it will remember it and avoid it.  Throw a t-shirt or piece of cloth over it, and a cat might not recognize it.  If the bait is tasty enough, some cats don't care and walk in the trap every time.  They'll sit patiently until you let them out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Other than vision, cats have a very selective sense of smell regarding what they consider their territory and safe zones.  Let's say you found a box of rags the cat was laying in.  If you moved the rags to another container, it'll be less of a shock to check it out.

I've been lucky with keeping around feral cats.  Once I place a food dish on the porch, they keep coming back.  While the mother cat may remain untouchable or not easily approached, they'll bring their kittens to the food dish eventually, and that's when you can use toys or snacks (bits of processed cheese slices are the cat equivalent to crack cocaine) to lure the kitties in to tame them up for giving away.

Be careful with the snacks.  We tamed up one cat, and every time she saw us leave through the front door with something in our hands, she'd jump up and attack our hands.  Some cats would eat from your hand.  Others would dig their claws in and try to take it away.  The first cat we kept was so wary of humans, she would take a food scrap across the road before she ate it.

If a cat is caught in a live trap, it will remember it and avoid it.  Throw a t-shirt or piece of cloth over it, and a cat might not recognize it.  If the bait is tasty enough, some cats don't care and walk in the trap every time.  They'll sit patiently until you let them out.
View Quote
That bit in red is what I needed to hear today

Got a black cat that was dumped at my dealership a couple months ago (march/april) and I feel bad of course since she has no water source and was skinny and wouldnt get within a 100yd's of you

A few months ago she was a lil pudgy ( thought kittens and havent seen any til now

she'll lay under my rides come right up to me and at 1st I thought it was a brave gray squirrel then did a double take

2 gray kittens and I guess Im there 1st human ( noooooooooo )

got my work cut out for me the next few weeks cause I cant take in anymore cats ( got #4 the day before )
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Local oil change has a mascot cat.  Showed up one day, and they feed it.  There is a local lady who traps feral shop cats and gets them spayed through donations.  Once fixed, she puts them back.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#26]
We have not seen YC in over a week.   I think the wife is getting worried.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#27]
If any of you guys and gals want some good looking heathen kittens ( 2 blk 2 gray ) I got 4 at ( thought thwere was 2 at my job and there mommy and the kittens will come to food when called and will chill beside you and the gray ones I pet every at the start of work and evening

Shelter's are full and I already took in 4 barn/feral kittens that are well behaved along

located 22630
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've never seen any cat use a house built for them.  They like barns and such that have lots of cozy hiding places,  and especially elevated ones that give them a good view.  You can put out cat food, but I would do it in the daytime to avoid other critters eating it. Dogs would still be an issue though.
View Quote
Quoted:
View Quote
I built a house for my cats to be used on the front porch when it's cold outside.  I found several of them in it this morning.  Let me take a pic real quick....

ETA, here you go.  1"x6" rough cut Poplar lumber left over from my Taj Mahal Upgrade deer shooting house construction.  Took about a half hour so.

The first pic is from my office window; there are three deer down below in my lower field, but they're behind that 10x10 post and Poplar triple tree.

One of my cats also stays in the little green/white house that's to the left when it's cold as well.  She's the loner of my group, she doesn't get along with any of my other cats.   In short, she acts like a little bitch to them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@TheRealSundance

Is that really your cat house, that you built?  If so, I want the pattern.

Not for a cat house.

I am building a pump house and I want it to look a little "dwarf/magic forest/ramshackle" and not quite like this, but close.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@TheRealSundance

Is that really your cat house, that you built?  If so, I want the pattern.

Not for a cat house.

I am building a pump house and I want it to look a little "dwarf/magic forest/ramshackle" and not quite like this, but close.
No, just off the net.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#33]
We have not seen the cat for about 1 1/2 months.  We were gone for about 2 weeks and have not seen the cat since we got back about a month ago.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We have had a feral cat move on to our property this year and there has been a marked decline of rodents.  This is fine by me.   I was wondering what I can do to keep her around?  What kind of cat house would help?  Should we add some cat food for her?  We have a stream that flows through the property that is open pretty must year round, so she does have fresh water.  
She is curious but a bit stand offish.  Which is fine.
View Quote
Feed them. They’ll stay. If male have neutered or they will disappear. Female, don’t worry. Cats forever.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Back when I had rural property I owned I was one of the few on the road who lived there, so no worries about feral cats wandering much.  Other folks owned property but it was just used for hunting and camping, no one out there all the time.

If everyone had been around then I would have probably left some food out if I left for 2 weeks time.  Both to bribe the cat and attract critters for cat to kill while I was away.

There are 2 potential yard cats around my place now, but being a small yard I somewhat figure they are more pets that roam too far for a couple different neighbors.  I keep a cat inside for anything that comes inside.

This year the mice are impressive.  I think they got tired of the rain flooding their tunnels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top