Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2021 8:36:18 AM EDT
I'm starting to look at purchasing a boat. I know little about boats but so far my "bar" is the Yamaha 210 FSH Sport based on price and features.

In looking for something comparable that's an outboard-type, everything seems to be anywhere from 50%-100% more expensive.

What am I missing?

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Covid.

Boat demand is up, availability is down, prices go up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I was going to buy a new Yamaha 240AR jet boat and NO dealer around me had one.
Every dealer sold out of EVERY new Yamaha boat.
They have been sold out since last year and expect to receive 0Zero new boats until the 2022 boats arrive this fall..

Each dealer just tried to say they sold all of the 2021 boats already..( In January?)

Finally one dealer told me the truth and said the Yamaha boats are built near Knoxville,Tn( I already knew that)
But the factory ran out of Chinese sourced parts last year around Feb/March and they shut the plant down and turned out the lights and went home.

Boats half built sitting on assembly line and didn't have cheap Chinese parts..simple things like speaker covers and plastic dash parts and decals and Spec plates they need to build the boats ran out and it all stopped production of ALL boats on the line.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#4]
So to clarify, my question isn't about availability and/or demand/cost, but why comparably equipped outboard types are so much more costly than this specific jet model.

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigsapper:
So to clarify, my question isn't about availability and/or demand/cost, but why comparably equipped outboard types are so much more costly than this specific jet model.

View Quote

Ultimately in everything but draft, it is going to be less cabable.

Not going to have the rough water capabilities of the more expensive boat.

A single big outboard (or even two) will be easier to service as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:

Ultimately in everything but draft, it is going to be less cabable.

Not going to have the rough water capabilities of the more expensive boat.

A single big outboard (or even two) will be easier to service as well.
View Quote
I'm seeing skinny water boats that are $100k+.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Jet drives are not nearly as complex as a typical modern outboard and therefore cheaper

to build. From what I've seen in the field, the Sea-Doo/Yamaha style jet boats all use inferior

components in the build such as plastic latches, cleats and other hardware that should

be stainless, especially in the brine.

I'm not saying these style boats are absolute junk, just that they are built to a price point

for the bulk of the recreational market who use their boat maybe a dozen times a year.

If you are going to run through Haulover Inlet on a daily basis...well, It's your funeral.

View Quote

What about a weekly use boat on Lake Mead?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:44:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Landpimp] [#10]
I didn't even know Yamaha made boats but it looks like those are jet ski motors.

we have twin 300HP yamaha outboards, they were more than the cost of that whole boat....which is kinda crazy

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Jet drives are not nearly as complex as a typical modern outboard and therefore cheaper

to build. From what I've seen in the field, the Sea-Doo/Yamaha style jet boats all use inferior

components in the build such as plastic latches, cleats and other hardware that should

be stainless, especially in the brine.

I'm not saying these style boats are absolute junk, just that they are built to a price point

for the bulk of the recreational market who use their boat maybe a dozen times a year.

If you are going to run through Haulover Inlet on a daily basis...well, It's your funeral.

View Quote
I'm seeing plenty of SS ... https://www.yamahaboats.com/boats/categories/center-console-boats/210FSHSport/

I understand the trailer is painted, rather than galvanized aluminum.

This would be mostly a bay boat (Laguna Madre) with the occasional off-shore.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#12]
For about $7k more than that Yamaha, you could get a Boston Whaler 210 Montauk that'll hold it's value MUCH better than the Yamaha, IMO.

But, like the Yamaha, that's the starting price.  Adding options ramps you up in price.  Very quickly.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]
That's part of my point. The Yamaha comes fully equipped; there are no options. That BW will be almost double in price, once it's comparably optioned out.

Plus the Yamaha has space for a porta-potty.

I'm just scratching my head on the price differential.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:12:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#14]
2 things....

There is no way I'd consider anything other than aluminum or galvanized for a saltwater trailer. Plain steel gets rusty enough on a freshwater trailer, I can't imagine it in salt. Whatever you get, best to give it a good wash after every use (boat and trailer).

Check out some of the Haulover inlet videos if you want to see what something like a Whaler can do vs a jet boat. Most jets do not have a hull designed to handle rough water. The capability and build quality is what you're paying for.

I am by no means an expert about anything saltwater, but do have an outboard jet on my jon boat so I am pretty familiar with the limitations of jets. All I can say is those jet impellers are expensive and the liners are too. You also do not have steering if you aren't in forward or reverse (although I think the new twin engine setups have some kind of joystick or low speed maneuvering system).

At the end of the day, a Whaler with a Yamaha outboard is going to be going strong long after the jet boat has major issues.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#15]
The Yamaha is attractive as it would encourage my wife to come along. Otherwise, I'd just get a Flats Cat.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I just checked boat trader and can sell my 4 year old whaler for more than I paid for it new.  The price of admission is STEEP, but it comes back to you when you sell, in many cases.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#17]
The Yamaha is attractive as it would encourage my wife to come along. Otherwise, I'd just get a Flats Cat.
View Quote

What about it makes her more likely to come along?

If draft is a concern for you and you don't care about rough water handling, I'd say go for it. But you haven't really explained what your use case will be.

Are you capable of working on the inboard jets yourself? How about an outboard? I ask because a lot of mechanics are backed up, and being able to perform maintenance yourself might determine whether or not you get to use the boat right now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:

What about it makes her more likely to come along?

View Quote
Porta-potty.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#19]
Use case: Fishing the lower Laguna Madre (Port Mansfield - South Padre island, Brownsville ship channel & South Bay. On really nice days, offshore.

ETA: In another life, I was an NIASE mechanic at a Chevy Dealership.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:04:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmc201] [#20]
That's part of my point. The Yamaha comes fully equipped; there are no options. That BW will be almost double in price, once it's comparably optioned out.

Plus the Yamaha has space for a porta-potty.

I'm just scratching my head on the price differential.

View Quote

There is NO comparison between those two boats. The Whaler can take you anywhere is just about any conditions.

Edit...no portapotty.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#21]
The jet has a cheap hull. Run into something you'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, I've seen enough jet boat docking shenanigans on Miami Boat Ramps to convince me I don't want a jet boat.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#24]
To summarize the price difference...

-- jet drives are cheaper to manufacture
-- cheaper/plastic hardware & other parts, rather than stainless steel.
-- cheap trailer

And FTR, I didn't try to compare this to a Boston Whaler.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, I've seen enough jet boat docking shenanigans on Miami Boat Ramps to convince me I don't want a jet boat.

View Quote

Out of all things to discourage you, I wouldn't let that do it. Guarantee those people wouldn't do any better with an outboard. Some people are fucking idiots.

At the end of the day, inboard jets are better kept as lake boats.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#27]

They would probably do worse with an outboard. Can't drag an outdrive/gearcase up the ramp on a jet!

View Quote

I thought that right after I posted. I remember seeing multiple jet boats turned around backwards at the ramp.

As someone who runs a jet with no keel or rudder, I have a hard time understanding how you can be THAT bad. I guess some people do not have the "seat of the pants" instinct.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah it looks nice and fancy, but if you actually plan on serious fishing, that shit just gets in the way or messy. I promise you it won't be more comfortable than an open style center console with some bean bag chairs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top