Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2020 10:18:54 PM EDT
I have a VX-7R handheld that they don't make anymore.  Great little radio.  I also have two other Yaesu radios, one in the car and one at home.

I also recently got a couple of the Baofeng UV-5R because of the thread here and in GD.  I'll be honest:  I like that little radio.  It was stupid easy to program with CHIRP.  In fact, some reviews talk about how the FT-65R reminds them of the Baofeng radios.  I would consider myself an amateur, amateur HAM.  Anyway, that's the background.

I am looking for a dual-band handheld, no frills.

I've read reviews everywhere and they all seem to give the FT-60R the edge.

YAESU FT-60R

YAESU FT-65R
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
A quick perusal seems to show that you can get a much larger battery for the ft-65.  It’s also the newer radio with newer lion batteries instead of nimh. That package from your link also includes several accessories like the quick charger, which is nice to have and makes a huge difference in charge time.

Eta.  Both packages have the quick charger, it’s just buried in the details for the other.

I don’t have personal experience with either one though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not picked up a new radio in at least 5 years.

That thing is really only $80.00

I was going to pick up a new replacement VX-6 ( I love that radio, and will get it anyway before I cant get a new one), but for the price, I may have to grab one of these also.

Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A quick perusal seems to show that you can get a much larger battery for the ft-65.  It’s also the newer radio with newer lion batteries instead of nimh. That package from your link also includes several accessories like the quick charger, which is nice to have and makes a huge difference in charge time.

Eta.  Both packages have the quick charger, it’s just buried in the details for the other.

I don’t have personal experience with either one though.
View Quote
One complaint was battery life for the FT-65R but the larger battery would be a plus.  I have no problem spending money on good batteries.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard that the overall build quality on the 65 is not like their more expensive units. No shock there given the price point. BUT, it is probably a couple generations newer tech than the 60. I haven't handled a 65 in person though, so that's just what I've heard. I know a few folks who went that way as "expensive" Baofengs and are perfectly happy with them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not handled a 65, but I have many years of great service from the 60r.  I'm kinda invested in this radio since I own 5 of them as well as extra batteries, antennas, chargers, microphones etc.  I have not broken one yet through some pretty rough use offroading both in a 4x4 truck and ATVs.  They are great at the hunt camp where most of us are HAMs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 65 over a year ago. I was in the same situation. I needed a basic uhf/vhf radio. I went with the 65 for a few reasons:
- li-ion battery
- newer radio(will be supported longer)
- ip54 water/dust rating(good enough for weather)
- larger batteries available
I have to say I’m very happy with my decision even tho I have no experience with a 60. Solid build quality, sounds great, easy to program, great price.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:58:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve spent most of my time using ham for backcountry skiing and have both a BaoFeng uv-82c and and the yaesu ft-65.  I’ve been quite happy with the ft-65.

The better “front end” than the BaoFeng is frequently noticeable when I’m skiing with someone who has a BaoFeng.  I have no complaints about battery life or much really  but I can’t directly compare to the ft-60.

The ft-65 is mostly supported by chirp now as well which is pretty great in my opinion because the stock yaesu program doesn’t allow copy/paste or insert (no memory bank setting in chirp however).

For $80 or whatever I paid, the ft-65 has been a great purchase.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.  Keep the opinions coming.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
A couple of years ago, on a whim, I bought a FT-60.  Don't know why, as I have absolutely no use for it.  But it's a nice basic HT, and is well made.  I sometimes set it to the air bands, and listen to the air traffic at DFW.  It will run for hours and hours on receive, even when there is a lot of activity.  Not sure how long the battery will last if you do a lot of transmitting, though.  I use, and like, the Yaesu programing software.  It is easy, and works well.   I'm happy with the purchase.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#10]
get the FT70
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
get the FT70
View Quote
@Derek45

What do you prefer about it over the FT-65R?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Check my thread about battery life.

If you’re interested in fusion and wires-x the ft70 can do them.

If not...

Honestly my two favorite hts for analog use are the vx6 and anytone 878.  VX-6 because it does everything and Anytone because the battery lasts forever, and it's easy and powerful to program analog channels into "banks" (zones) via the face.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@Derek45

What do you prefer about it over the FT-65R?
View Quote
system fusion C4FM

Allows me to access my hot spot to get into stuff like the ARFCOM DMR node
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 4 HT's one each for the 3 digital modes and a FT-60! If I had to use a HT in a unhospitable climate/situation/SHTF I'd go to my FT-60 every time! Why?  It's a BRICK the only AMATUER HT I know about that the case as well as the internal frame is still metal! You can beat a 60 all day long and it will still work. Extra batteries are available through Batteries America - cheaper than OEM and get a basic AA pack. With the AA pack you're not near your charger and the radio dies slip that on and you're back in business, and AA's are almost always available someplace!
Oh and my 60 is about 7-8 years old and never a single issue.
My 2 cents and that is exactly what it's worth.
Sarge
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Check my thread about battery life.

If you’re interested in fusion and wires-x the ft70 can do them.

If not...

Honestly my two favorite hts for analog use are the vx6 and anytone 878.  VX-6 because it does everything and Anytone because the battery lasts forever, and it's easy and powerful to program analog channels into "banks" (zones) via the face.
View Quote
I think it's your fault that the 878 isn't available on amazon in any normal format. Some used ones, some shady vendors... One day there were options, the next *poof*. You're definitely making it likely that I'll add one to the collection. I may just order from Gigaparts next week. I want to do a little more planning before I buy anything.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my FT65. Essy to program, good interface, and good battery life with the larger battery. I went with it over a ft60 due to the nicer display and better water/dust resistance. Ip65 i believe.

My only con is the lack of vfo/channel knob, but not a deal breaker.

Also unlocking the TX is a password affair vs desoldering anything if you're into that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I love my FT65. Essy to program, good interface, and good battery life with the larger battery. I went with it over a ft60 due to the nicer display and better water/dust resistance. Ip65 i believe.

My only con is the lack of vfo/channel knob, but not a deal breaker.

Also unlocking the TX is a password affair vs desoldering anything if you're into that kind of thing.
View Quote
@Keasbeynights

Thank you everyone so far.  I'm still reading all the input.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#18]
HRO has the FT-65R on sale for $69.95.  At that price you can't go wrong.  I ordered one yesterday even though I don't really need another HT.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
HRO has the FT-65R on sale for $69.95.  At that price you can't go wrong.  I ordered one yesterday even though I don't really need another HT.
View Quote
@MikeDeltaFoxtrot

From my searching, when they first came out, they were selling for twice that.  As the guy who got me into HAM said, "Inexpensive Chinese radios have pushed the price down on Japanese ones."  Although I do realize the FT-65R is made in China.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:23:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think it's your fault that the 878 isn't available on amazon in any normal format. Some used ones, some shady vendors... One day there were options, the next *poof*. You're definitely making it likely that I'll add one to the collection. I may just order from Gigaparts next week. I want to do a little more planning before I buy anything.
View Quote
Let's Get Ready is probably the largest importer of Anytone radios in the country. You can get the 878 with GPS for about $199.99 if you make on offer on eBay. Bob is a good guy to deal with and will stand behind his products.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I went with the vx6r.  Triband and submersible.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:17:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

system fusion C4FM

Allows me to access my hot spot to get into stuff like the ARFCOM DMR node
View Quote
What is this ARFCOM DMR node of which you speak?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
He's referring to TG 556 on the TGIF network.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Mariner82

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/DMR-Talk-Group-for-Arfcom-Hams/22-694377/
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#26]
That FT-65R is tempting

but so is that VX-6R.

I was the VX-8R was still in production.

Now that FT-270 .... if they had made THAT in 2m/70cm I would have bought it by now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That FT-65R is tempting

but so is that VX-6R.

I was the VX-8R was still in production.

Now that FT-270 .... if they had made THAT in 2m/70cm I would have bought it by now.
View Quote
I would have probably bought one in 2m only, but definitely in 2m/70cm!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I have an FT60R. I actually do not recommend it. The squelch dial is way too easy to adjust and gets bumped all the time and I end up listening to opened squelch.

I got a VX6R that I now use and recommend it 100%.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top