Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2021 2:32:46 PM EDT
I'm pouring through draw odds and success rates to hunt antelope in WY and one question keeps ringing in my head...Looking at all the areas it seems as if you need at least 4 points before you stand a reasonable chance of drawing a hunt.  I'm not getting any younger and I just don't see myself being able to get there in a reasonable time when you allot for point creep.

Are there any areas that are likely to be drawn with zero points as an out of state resident?  I can't seem to find any as I click around.  Should I just bid a leftover tag?

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:54:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cshire] [#1]
Tried for area 58 as first choice and 17, 16 as 2nd and 3rd choice last year and got no tag.  58 needs high points to draw.  Strategy was to get a low point area as second choice and keep the 1 point I had

Same strategy this year, drew 16 as 2nd choice and got a tag.    Took 2 weeks off work.  Got to WY a few days early to scout.  Took a fair buck on opening day.  

Spent the 2nd week seeing Yellowstone and Tetons.  

Apply now, go this year.  Apply for some easy draws you can hopefully get this year.  Buy points or try some long odds draws to get points for future years.  Apply for draws/points in multiple states.  Should be able to have some tag every year this way.

I’m 57 and realized that going now is better than waiting for perfect draw in high demand/trophy areas

Beautiful country and I plan to go west for a week or so every year even if I miss out on tags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top