Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2021 7:45:35 AM EDT
Shopping around to replace my tatty, 40 year old  "followed me home" army blanket. I'm wondering at what point are the benefits of wool diluted out. I'm seeing a 66X90 blanket that's 80/20 for $25, and a 62X80 90/10 for $35. Or I can get an Israeli surplus of unknown mix for $25 plus shipping.

Or does it make enough difference that I should go for 100% wool and hang the cost?

This won't be my primary blanket, but more of a camping/SHTF thing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Call me "Not a fan of wool".

Wool has two potential advantages.  its retains some warmth when wet.  And its decent at smothering a flame.  In every other single regard, wool sucks.  Its expensive, heavy, it stinks, its high maintenance, it docent wash easy and it seems to take four months to dry out.  I hate wool.

Wool's reputation was made generations ago when your choice was cotton or wool.  Cotton fibers soak up water, becoming waterlogged and loosing all warmth-holding capabilities.  Wool fibers don't absorb water easily.  This made wool the better choice. In 1958....

New modern synthetic fleece blankets are a ton cheaper.  They too do not hold water.  They aren't full of stinking nasty sheep-grease, I mean "Lanolin". The synthetic can be totally soaked:  Pick it up, wring it out hard, give it a good shake, and its now lost a lot of water and will dry out in minutes.  its warmer than wool, and lighter than wool, and about 1/6th the cost of wool.  The only disadvantage of the synthetic is that it burns relatively easily.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
in for answers.

been looking at this blanket:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY87LWZ/
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Wool blankets for under $10??
Do you have one?? Review??
Sounds too good to be true
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
in for answers.

been looking at this blanket:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY87LWZ/
View Quote

Major surplus has wool blankets I have a couple d liveried, but am on vacation, they were blue in color, their polish one ere good for the money
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 1:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]
So is there a notable difference between 70%, 80%, 90%, and 100% wool other than price?

Also, I've got nothing in particular against synthetic, but the ability to get hit by a campfire spark and NOT burst into flame or have the blanket melt to my skin is a factor. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I'm also circa Pre-1958
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Call me "Not a fan of wool".

Wool has two potential advantages.  its retains some warmth when wet.  And its decent at smothering a flame.  In every other single regard, wool sucks.  Its expensive, heavy, it stinks, its high maintenance, it docent wash easy and it seems to take four months to dry out.  I hate wool.

Wool's reputation was made generations ago when your choice was cotton or wool.  Cotton fibers soak up water, becoming waterlogged and loosing all warmth-holding capabilities.  Wool fibers don't absorb water easily.  This made wool the better choice. In 1958....

New modern synthetic fleece blankets are a ton cheaper.  They too do not hold water.  They aren't full of stinking nasty sheep-grease, I mean "Lanolin". The synthetic can be totally soaked:  Pick it up, wring it out hard, give it a good shake, and its now lost a lot of water and will dry out in minutes.  its warmer than wool, and lighter than wool, and about 1/6th the cost of wool.  The only disadvantage of the synthetic is that it burns relatively easily.
View Quote

They don't just burn, they potentially melt too.
Melted plastic/oil on skin is, well, ugly.  Enjoy peeling tissue off as you remove it
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my Israeli military blanket.  Has some synthetic in it so it is soft but very warm.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The Swiss ones were nice.
The Israeli ones were nice.
The Swedish Officer's were very nice. These were the winners.
I think it was the German ones that were very scratchy. Heavy. Real Warm. But scratchy.

A lot of the good ones you couldn't find the last I looked a few years ago. Everyone was sold out. Around 2015?
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I keep several in the truck, both Swedish.

Not scratchy.  Not stinky.  But yes, heavy. Yes, warm, very warm.  And inexpensive. But having them as truck blanket, I don't need light, or water shedding...I want tough.  I want to use them in an emergency where I am close to the truck...or in the camper cap on an unusually chilly night.  I want to throw them under the truck if I need to lay under it and not worry about rips or having to throw it away.  I want to wash it knowing that if it doesn't survive, it's not a $150 loss.

And to me, you either go synthetic or wool.  A mix is just a compromise between the two.  "only burns a little" or "holds some water" or "partially warm when wet" are not characteristics I desire.

So, as with all applications, it is all about how you intend to use it.  I'd go 100% wool if you're looking at wool at all.

Turning that on it's head, I'd ask you why you think adding synthetic is necessary?
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd love to find one of those Swedish Officer's blankets for sale. I've been looking for years. The colors go well with our interior. I'd be great to throw on the back of the couch for when someone gets cold. We have a very nice Alpaca one now, but the color's a bit dark, and a little scratchy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:17:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I keep several in the truck, both Swedish.

Not scratchy.  Not stinky.  But yes, heavy. Yes, warm, very warm.  And inexpensive. But having them as truck blanket, I don't need light, or water shedding...I want tough.  I want to use them in an emergency where I am close to the truck...or in the camper cap on an unusually chilly night.  I want to throw them under the truck if I need to lay under it and not worry about rips or having to throw it away.  I want to wash it knowing that if it doesn't survive, it's not a $150 loss.

And to me, you either go synthetic or wool.  A mix is just a compromise between the two.  "only burns a little" or "holds some water" or "partially warm when wet" are not characteristics I desire.

So, as with all applications, it is all about how you intend to use it.  I'd go 100% wool if you're looking at wool at all.

Turning that on it's head, I'd ask you why you think adding synthetic is necessary?
View Quote

It's not that I think it's necessary, but more that all the surplus blankets I'm finding seem to be 10-40% synthetic.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:51:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a "Army" blanket as a rear seat cover in my truck that my Dad brought home. He was Navy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top