Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2018 11:17:59 AM EDT
I'm planning on picking up 4-6 wool blankets to keep in the cars and house this winter. Any that you would recommend? I see they range in price from $20 to well over $200.  I would prefer to stay under$100 (under $50 if there are decent quality blankets in this range) as these are jic items.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I mom got a super nice one at kohls.  Way better then my surplus ones.  She bought it to move furniture because it was on clearance but I stole that shit.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it is only JIC, this should suffice.

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-x-80-inch-wool-blanket-92625.html
View Quote
I bought one to try out when they were on sale- not impressed, at all.  Firstly it smells kinda funky, even after washing in Woolite and airing it out.  It's scratchy, even after washing in Woolite, airing it out and tumbling it in the dryer with a couple of dryer sheets.  It's not very warm, I'd rather have a fleece blanket from Walmart or something.  Since it's gray I use it to toss over junk behind my seats or in the bed and with the tinted windows (camper shell) it's harder to see that there's stuff there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I usually stop at a Goodwill, or two, every week to look for wool blankets. I've found well over a dozen surplus for 4 to 5 bucks each. I've even found vintage Pendleton and Hudson for 5 to 10 dollars, some of which I've sold on eBay for over $200.

As for new I also have 2 made by Wooly Mammoth Woolen Company that I purchased on Amazon using a gift card. They were $50 and $60 each at the time. One is a little thicker than the other. Both have been awesome used as top blankets over sleep bags while camping in below freezing weather. I've used them for over 2 years and no complaints.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're looking for good wool, not just shit wool hit me up!

I have 5 alpaca wool blankets warm enough for a North Dakota night at -60 degs. Love them so does the rest of the family! Yet you will pay!

Want to buy cheap that's cool also do have a few cheap Italian officer blankets well they were cheap 10 years ago when I bought them for $20.

Anyway, treat wool-like hair! After all its is hair use shampoo and conditioner to clean it makes it softer and smell better. So had the Italian officer blankets and they smelled BAD like old oil or gas!

So vinegar white helps a lot! Also, cheap dollar store shampoo and conditioner also help out! If really bad get a 5 gal bucket or something else and let them soak!!!

Wool light as not worth the money and does not clean as well as simple hair care that you can get for a few dollars! Trust the guy who owns 15 wool blankets and 5 wool hooded sweaters, 30+ wool socks and 10+ wool shirts!

That's not also adding what my wife and kids own.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a couple of the ektos and for the money you can't beat them.
You'll want to wash them before you use them , hand wash or if your washer has a hand wash cycle use that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You'll want to wash them before you use them , hand wash or if your washer has a hand wash cycle use that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks.  I'll probably grab one and see if it's what I'm looking for.  Then buy more if it is.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@Salvadorsshadow

Saw this today.

https://www.keepshooting.com/french-od-wool-blanket.html
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
These are extremely high quality Merino Wool blankets.
Very thick and warm. Much thicker than a regular military wool blanket.
Plus they are new production, not surplus. Brand spanking new...
Highly recommended at just $27.99.

from the website:

For those unfamiliar with Merino wool it has unique properties making this fiber extremely comfortable and conducive to health. The fibers are very fine making the wool soft, lightweight and comfortable. Unlike synthetic fibers that stick to the skin, merino wool absorbs and evaporates moisture making the blanket breathable. This reduces clamminess and prevents the blanket from sticking to the skin. Merino sheep have adapted to extreme changes in temperature which causes the wool fibers to expand or contract with temperature variations. So it works with your body to regulate body temperature, keeping you warm when it is cold and cool when it is hot.

The cell membrane of the wool fiber is hydrophilic on one side. This enables the wool to absorb water vapor making it anti-static. In addition the hydrophobic side of the cell membrane complex of the fiber reduces stains from being absorbed. Because of its ability to absorb and evaporate moisture, merino wool can absorb sweat and odors and evaporate them when blankets are aired outside. Merino wool contains a natural grease substance called lanolin, which has antibacterial properties. Lanolin prevents dust and lint accumulation. The antibacterial properties make wool blankets and bedding dust mite resistant. These blankets will provide years of faithful service.

Green, brown and camo available

I have three of these, they are great...
http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/brands/InterArms.html

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I have some of the Ohioprepsupply blankets and they are nice - thick and soft. Well worth the money.

Most of mine were $5 goodwill finds though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have some of the Ohioprepsupply blankets and they are nice - thick and soft. Well worth the money.

Most of mine were $5 goodwill finds though.
View Quote
I just found this over the weekend at Goodwill for $4.99. It looks brand new.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

from the website:

For those unfamiliar with Merino wool it has unique properties making this fiber extremely comfortable and conducive to health. The fibers are very fine making the wool soft, lightweight and comfortable. Unlike synthetic fibers that stick to the skin, merino wool absorbs and evaporates moisture making the blanket breathable. This reduces clamminess and prevents the blanket from sticking to the skin. Merino sheep have adapted to extreme changes in temperature which causes the wool fibers to expand or contract with temperature variations. So it works with your body to regulate body temperature, keeping you warm when it is cold and cool when it is hot.

The cell membrane of the wool fiber is hydrophilic on one side. This enables the wool to absorb water vapor making it anti-static. In addition the hydrophobic side of the cell membrane complex of the fiber reduces stains from being absorbed. Because of its ability to absorb and evaporate moisture, merino wool can absorb sweat and odors and evaporate them when blankets are aired outside. Merino wool contains a natural grease substance called lanolin, which has antibacterial properties. Lanolin prevents dust and lint accumulation. The antibacterial properties make wool blankets and bedding dust mite resistant. These blankets will provide years of faithful service.

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2800/gixpg/products/110/images/364/Image2__76375.1399994173.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
View Quote
Thanks, I'll grab some of those too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#15]
For beater blankets I use the harbor freight ones.  If I need real warmth I use a real sleeping bag with rating for the conditions at hand.  I spend many nights out each year and unless your huddled by a fire there is no replacement for a nice thick synthetic, or down bag (your choice -but in arfcom fashion get both.)

I think I spent 19 nights out in a tent this year and 4 or 5 nights in a vehicle.  Several long weekends in the Adirondack Mountains, another week in the Mojave desert, a week above 8K feet in snow covered mountains in southern Montana, though we had a wall tent there.  Those trips also included a few nights spent in the vehicle traveling to or from destination.  While many times I had a wool beater blanket I always slept in a real sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

from the website:

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2800/gixpg/products/110/images/364/Image2__76375.1399994173.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
View Quote
@Gunwritr That blanket looks awesome. I'm gonna order some. That price is really good.

Thanks a ton!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@Gunwritr That blanket looks awesome. I'm gonna order some. That price is really good.

Thanks a ton!
View Quote
@fmj_shooter
Glad to help. My family likes ours a lot.
Please report back on your thoughts.
We bought ours perhaps 5 years ago, zero issues with them.
Like with any wool blanket, air them out for a bit when you first
receive them and then enjoy!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]
When i was a kid every Army/Navy store sold surplus wool blankets for cheap, Green Army & Tan Navy, they were great & lasted for a very long time, are they available anywhere anymore?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#19]
For long term storage, I recommend ZipLoc vacuum bags for them.

Had a few nice ones ruined by moths. (Yes, like the olden cartoons used to have in them.)
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Thanks for the link.
Think I will try one of those
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:57:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.
Think I will try one of those
View Quote
I also bought a couple, they are woven different than your typical blanket somehow and have a raised nap.  So far I really like them.  I was skeptical when I first opened the package but they have exceeded all expectations.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Check out  the reviews. Especially the 1 star or 2 star. That will tell you a lot!

PITA45
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Im IN on a few more Hudson Bay blankets< than 200.00. PM me and funds away. I only collect them. Im not an addict. I only want one more. I can quit any time. Just one more, thats all. Just one...
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@Salvadorsshadow

Saw this today.

View Quote
Great reviews on that blanket.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I have several if the HF wool blankets. I agree, they stink but after a couple washes in shampoo and conditioner in the softner portion of the washer, they smell great and are very soft.

I aired dried between both washes.

I'm tempted to check out the Ohio supply blankets.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

from the website:

View Quote
How do you treat these to make them less itchy?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@Salvadorsshadow

Saw this today.

View Quote
I also looked at these, but there is no size listed,!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone have a source for original military wool blankets?

There are lots of military style ones out the made in China and india
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top